- Text Size +
This chap was written by Ana and me. Thanks, girl!



Howie walked over to the Lord Residence, stuffing his hands deep in his khaki pants. He had no idea how to go about speaking to Ana. It was obvious that AJ had truly damaged Ana's brazen heart. Yet, he stepped forward onto the property, determined to help Melicia. He walked to the garage area to find Ana scrubbing her Hummer furiously with car soap. Oddly, Howie felt his heart flip when he noticed Ana's demeanor. She was concentrating heavily on cleaning her overbearing car, not noticing the soapy water splashing back against her. She wore a white wife-beater atop her cherry-printed bikini, which was soaked and clinging tightly to her curved figure. Her flaxen curls pinned into a bun with wet curls falling down against the sides of her face. Her face was pelted with droplets of water, making Howie unsure as to if she had cried or not. The music blasted loudly as she swayed her hips to the beat. Howie cleared his throat loudly, causing Ana to glance sideways. Immediately, her blue-green eyes were rolled upward. "I'm not having party, Mr. Dorough. My guy friends went home before they had the chance to rape me," she declared quite bluntly, gazing back at her beautiful car.

"That's not what I came over here for, Ana. I didn't even know what was going on until Mel stormed home, saying that AJ ruined her chance to have friends when he came over to your house. I thought he had gone home but instead he came over here. I know he caused a lot of damage, and I just came over to apologize. If I had known what was going on, I would have stopped him from making an idiot of himself and insulting you and your family."

"Look, I don't want to talk about it. I just want to get my car clean so I can go out tonight," Ana decided, soaking the large sponge back into the bucket of soap suds. She pulled it out and sopped it heavily onto her purple rims. "And tell Mr. McLean that my mother's grave isn't stirring because she's at peace, because I go out to have fun, not to dope up like other idotic teenagers."

"I understand that it's hard to talk about that. Mel's mom was my sister, so I know how you feel--"

"No, you don't know how I feel," Ana interupted, holding her soapy hand up to stop him.

Howie sighed. "Okay, stupid thing to say. I haven't lost my real mother. But Sarah was the one who really took care of me when I was a kid, and it hit me just as hard as you or Melicia when you lost your mothers."

"Did your mother call you with a knife to her throat, fighting like a tiger just to get home to hear you sing your first solo as a Senior? Did you hear your mother's screams as she crashed into that tower, probably with the knife slicing her throat, screaming she loved you? No, you didn't," Ana replied quite forcefully without any emotion. She sighed heavily, pushing her forearm tightly against eyes to block any tears that might have slipped. Once she regained composure, she hurriedly pushed the sponge against the purple rims. "I understand that Clicky is upset with her mother's death and I understand that you are just as upset about what happened to your sister. I sympathize completely with you, but I don't feel like talking about it. I'm over what happened, alright. Just let it stay back in the cemetary with her body."

"Okay, okay. That's fine," Howie replied softly. "I just wanted to let you know that Mel didn't know AJ was coming over here, and she really wants to be friends with you. But now she thinks that you hate her now because of one of my stupid friends."

Ana glanced up, noticing the dark sadness brewing in Howie's soft eyes. She bit down hard on her bottom lip, knowing that she might have been too foward. Her father had always scolded her for that trait she obviously inherited from both him and his wife. Not knowing what else to do, Ana tossed the sponge onto her car, and wrapped Howie in a quick embrace. As she quickly parted from him, Howie looked absolutely shocked as Ana offered a shy version of her impish grin. "It gets better, you know? I mean, I may be just a kid to you, but I know that you have tons of family surrounding you to help with your loss. I adjusted how I needed to adjust, because I don't have the family support like you do. Just take it easy. It'll come with time; the feeling of peace I mean."

"Th-thank you, Ana," he stammered, feeling his cheeks blush a little. "Are you sure you're Mella's age? You act like you're 24 instead of 18."

"Yeah, I'm positive I'm eighteen, actually younger than Clicky, but I just had to grow up faster than her," Ana replied nonchantly, folding back into her laid back posture, not really noticing the faint blush.

"Why's that?" Howie asked curiously.

"You haven't heard from Clicky?" Ana asked, faintly rolling her eyes. She leaned back down to grab the hose, immediately spraying the suds off her shining Hummer. "I figured you'd be one of those parents to screen every person that walked in the doorway, because you care about Clicky more than life itself. Nothing like my father."

"No, I'm not like that. Mella's like her mom and she's really good judge of chracter. When you and Kelly walked in, I knew my girl would be safe with you two and any other people you knew."

"Even if they're all guys?" Ana asked curiously, raising her fair eyebrows in question.

"As long as y'all weren't having real orgies or something."

"Do you take me for a walking STD? Or just a girl who gets more ass than a toliet seat, Mr. Dorough?" Ana teased lightly, actually considering throwing a sponge toward him, soaking his nice outfit.

"No, no, no!" He was about to defend himself more when he saw the smirk on her face, which seemed to make her face glow under the hot Florida sun. His eyes traveled down her body and back up to her piercing blue eyes.

"I'm a pretty safe friend, Mr. Dorough. You can ask anyone in this neighborhood or even at the school. I'm pretty sure they'd all give you an okay," Ana replied earnestly, "Unless new parents see me driving in The Beast. They tend to label, so I have a laminated report card in The Beast for reference."

"I trust you are a good and safe friend, Ana. A friend I do want my niece to have around."

"Dude, just give me the weekend to sort through my own emotions. I was just fine till Clicky showed up with her Leechy boyfriend, AJ--"

"He's not her boyfriend," Howie blurted.

"Oh, my bad..." Ana replied.

"What made you think AJ was her boyfriend?"

"I don't know, the way he skitzed when she was in the hot tub," Ana replied, shrugging her shoulders.

"Oh. Well... AJ and the guys have known Mella since she was little, so they're all kind of protective of her," Howie explained, thinking about the way AJ was acting before going to Ana's and making trouble. "I think I've bothered you enough. I'll let you get back to cleaning... The Beast, right?"

"Yeah, The Beast," Ana replied, patting the side of her Hummer. "Promised the boys I'd make it nice and shiny before we hit the surf tonight."

"Nice car," he agreed. "Have fun tonight. And again, I'm sorry about what happened--"

"Don't make me think about it more than I have to, Mr. Dorough."

"Okay, fair enough," he gave her a nurturing smile. "Good-bye, Ana."

"Oh, Mr Dorough?" Ana trailed.

Howie stopped halfway down the driveway and turned around. "Yeah?"

"Anytime you want to clean The Beast, be my guest, alright?"

He chuckled. "Alright, Darling."

"Darling?" Ana asked questionably.

"Sorry, I say that with a lot of fans," he blushed a little.

"Well, I missed my generation. I'm more into the 80s. Give me Meatloaf and I'm a happy camper."

"I hear you," he laughed. "See you later."

"Not if I catch you first," Ana replied, focusing intently on her car.

Howie just waved as he walked down the driveway towards his house. "I wouldn't mind that," he muttered to himself.

*~*~*

"Don't hog-tie me, please!" Melicia shrieked in surprise as she felt Kelly catch her upper arm and whirl her around. The girl's blue eyes were wide with surprise as Melicia tried to wrench away. Melicia had decided to walk back to her home from school that afternoon, knowing that come Hell or high water, Ana wouldn't be driving her home. Everyone had given her evil glares at school, because Ana had decided to skip out on school that day. Everyone blamed Melicia and she felt absolutely horrid. "Please! Just tell me what a Barbie-Q is before you get out the lasso!"

"What in the Hell are you talking about?!" Kelly blurted, trying to hold back her laughter as Melicia panicked.

"There's no mob after me, looking to throw my underwear up the flag pole, is there?" Melicia freaked.

"Did you just beam back to middle school?" Kelly asked incredously.

"Have you not noticed the looks I've been getting all day? Everyone hates me because of what happened at Ana's, why wouldn't you, too?"

"Because, I know Ana better than most of the school's population that were passing you awful looks," Kelly answered with a proud smile.

"You mean you're not going to hog-tie me, stuff an apple in my mouth and Barbie-Q me?"

"Were you watching a western last night? Because Georgians aren't like that!" Kelly laughed.

"You're not going to do that to me?"

"No, I'm not. I just wanted to see if Ana called you at all."

"Um, no she hasn't. Why would she? Ana should be hating me and damning me to Hell. Not calling me."

"Ana's not like that and if you think she is, you need to get your brain examined, child," Kelly drawled with a frown creasing across her usually sunny face.

"Well, I didn't know..." Melicia trailed off.

"Ana may want to kick AJ's ass, but she's not gonna take it out on you. Judging by what the guys said happened, she needed time to think. She probably just gone done surfing for the entire day and is driving her Hummer around consulting her memories and feelings. She's not to personable about her mother's death. She keeps it to her self. But, when she wants you, she'll find ya."

"I know how she feels," Melicia sighed, remembering the look in Ana's eyes when she made her and AJ leave the house.

"She might even kidnap you in The Beast," Kelly teased.

"Funny." Melicia smiled a little when a horn honked behind them.

Kelly turned on her heel to see Ana coast up to the sidewalk in her giant vehicle. Ana leaned over, popping the passenger door open on the massive vehicle. Ana's hair was damp as it fell past her shoulders in bunched ringlets. "Get in," she ordered, glacing at Melicia.

Melicia gave Kelly a look before climbing in and shutting the door. "Call me later, Mel," Kelly replied as Ana sped off.

"School a pain in the ass today?" Ana asked, reaching to turn down her CD player. She kept her eyes firmly set on the road as she sped along, pressing a few buttons to select a new CD.

"Yeah, just a little bit. I could have died a thousand times with the looks I got from people in school," Melicia replied honestly, wondering why Ana was even talking to her.

"Obviously, the guys did all the talking. I reemed'em out while surfing, telling them I'd deal with it in my own way. Oh well, I'll straighten it out tomorrow. No more death stares, promise."

"Thanks... look, Ana, I'm really sorry about AJ. He was being an asshole--"

"I think he defines the word asshole, but you don't have to apologize to him. In all honesty, I should have never kicked you both out. I just figured you'd want to be with Mr. Hot stuff, who was obviously reeming about you at an all guy party. Figured you weren't into the jealous type, Clicky, but hey. Just figure it's over with and I don't want to talk about it? I'll tell you the whole story sometime, just not now."

"Alright... um, I was wondering... did my uncle come over at all this past weekend?"

"Yeah, he stopped by while I was cleaning The Beast, why?"

"No reason, I figured he was going to do that... you didn't say anything about AJ acting like my boyfriend, did you?"

"You hiding something from your uncle?" Ana asked point blank, stopping for a red light.

"Well, we were," Melicia sighed, thinking of the pain in AJ's eyes after she screamed at him. "I haven't talked to him since. And if my uncle ever found out, well... let's just say AJ and I would be in the hospital."

"Double dipping in the Backstreet Boy family?" Ana asked with a wry smile, rolling her eyes.

"Something like that," Melicia agreed as the light turned green. "I don't know anymore. If he's going to act like that when I'm with guy friends..."

"You don't want to really hear my comments on Mr. McLean at the moment," Ana replied dryly, taking off down the familiar street. She turned a sharp corner, glancing to see both her and Melicia's home coming in view. Suddenly, Ana noticed AJ coming out from the driveway as she prepared to pull in. Instantly, she slammed on the brakes, causing Melicia to jerk forward in surprise. "I'll just let you out here, I gotta reverse and pick up Dom. He's spending the week at my house while Father's out on business in Europe."

Melicia looked towards her house and saw AJ. She groaned outloud. "Totally understandable, Ana. You're lucky you can choose not to go down there," she grabbed her backpack and jumped out of the Hummer. "Call me later if you want."

"We may be cool, Clicky, but if you took one look at Dom, you could definitely tell that I won't be up to social calling this week," Ana teased.

She laughed, closing the door. "See you later, girl."

"Adi-freaking-os," Ana called, slamming her car into reverse, and then quickly revving into drive as AJ neared.

"What's her hurry?" AJ asked, watching the Hummer hurry into the distance.

Melicia gave him a glare. "GEE, I don't know, McLean. Why don't we talk about her mom again, huh?" she walked past him to the house.

"Hey! Don't give me the cold brush! I want to talk to you!" AJ burst, rushing to catch up with her. He expected her sullen attitude, be hadn't expected her to be so cold. Not after their heated exchanges. He thought she had meant more.

"I can give you the cold brush if I want to!" she spat back. "I can't believe you thought I was cheating on you or something! Those guys were FRIENDS!"

"Fine, they were friends! But I was worried about you! Can't you see that I care for you more than we both anticipated! You can't tell me that you wouldn't be pissed if you found me smiling and chatting with bikini-clad girls in a hot tub!"

Melicia tried to think of what to say in return, but couldn't. AJ was right, she would have acted the same way he had, probably worse because of his reputation with multiple women.

"Well?" AJ pressed.

"Fine, you're right," she muttered. "Still hurt that you couldn't trust me."

"It hurt that you would actually tell me to fuck off."

She sighed heavily, running her hand through her hair. "I know... I shouldn't have said that to you..."

AJ leaned over to kiss her softly. "I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, too." he pulled her into a hug.

"I'm taking it that Ana talked to you and if she talked to you then you can talk to J?" Howie called, walking into the living room to see the two separate from the hug.

"Yeah, I talked to Ana and we're okay now... I can't stay mad at people long, you know that, Uncle Howie."

"Yeah, I know. Thank God," Howie replied, kissing his niece's forehead. He glanced to see AJ immediately back up from Melicia as if he had been playing with fire. Howie offered his friend an odd look as he collapsed onto the couch, pulling Melicia down with him. "So, you hanging out with Ana tonight?"

"No, not tonight," she replied, resting her head on her uncle's shoulder. "She and her friend Dom are hanging out. Her dad's in Europe for the week."

"Dom as in Dominique?" Howie asked, feeling an unknown emotion bubble in his throat.

She shrugged. "I don't know. Why?"

"I think we're talking Dom as in DOMINIC, D. Remember, no girlfriends in that department, just Kelly and Mella," AJ teased with a smile.

"You're funny, Alex," she chuckled, sticking her tongue out at him. "He's just keeping Ana company. Someone always stays with her in that big house of hers."

"Keeping Ana company in a bed warming type of sense?" AJ asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

"As FRIENDS, you pervert, if that. Ana's not like some of the girls I've met at school."

"Maybe you should invite her over here for the week," Howie suggested suddenly, not liking the idea of Ana spending an entire week with a over-sexed boy.

"Why do you suddenly want Ana coming over to the house?" Melicia drawled curiously, eyeing her uncle. Something about his posture alerted Melicia that something deeper might have happened between Ana and Howie. Yet, she didn't know how to approach such a subject.

"I just thought it would be nice to have her stay here. You know, so you two can build a strong friendship."

"You really wouldn't mind having two shrieky girls occupying the home at all times?" Melicia asked, growing quite excited.

"Ana doesn't strike me as the shrieky type, but you definitely do," AJ teased.

"Shut up," Melicia groaned, throwing a a pillow at him. "Uncle Howie, are you serious?"

"Why wouldn't I be serious?"

"I don't know. I just didn't think you'd be the one to want girls hanging around all the time... Unless you were being serious when you said I should hook you up with one of the girls around the block..." Melicia trailed, a newly lit spark flashing against her dark blue eyes.

"Naw, I don't need to hook up with one of your friends," Howie chuckled, his heart fluttered a little at the thought of being with Ana. "I think I would be murdered in my slep by their parents if that happened."

"You might be able to score, D. Ana's dad is never around, right, Mella?" AJ chuckled, loving to egg on his older companion. Yet, he didn't see the nervous glint in Howie's eyes.

"Yeah, but that would be freaky. I mean, she's younger than me!"

"She's really mature though," Howie murmured offhandedly.

"She is," Melicia agreed as she stole a glance at AJ, winking slightly before turning to her uncle. "How about I call Ana tomorrow and ask her?"

"Why not tonight?" Howie asked, completely oblivious to Melicia and AJ's exchange.

"Did we not just mention the Dominic factor?" AJ replied, rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, no kidding," she laughed, nudging Howie in the ribs. "Let her be with Dom tonight."

"You don't think she'll get into trouble with him, do you?" Howie asked, knowing that Melicia was growing suspicious. He just couldn't shake the feeling, whatever it was.

"No way. Ana has really high morals about that stuff. She was telling me last weekend that she promised to stay a virgin until her wedding night... I think that's really cool of her."

"Really? I think it'd be wise if you followed suit," Howie laughed, finding his heart settling back to a normal rhythm.

"Eh, maybe..." she teased with a grin.

"Eh, maybe?" Howie asked worriedly, immediately bringing a hand to cover his heart. He didn't even want to think about engaging in a sexual discussion with his niece. He quickly made a note to call one of his older sisters for recusing if the problem should arise.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding! Jeez, don't have a heart attack," she laughed, kissing his cheek.

"I don't even want to think of you in anything BUT a white wedding dress. Is that comprehendable?"

"Yes, of course it is."

"Alright," Howie chuckled nervously, glancing to AJ. "You staying for dinner?"

"Do you even have to ask?"

"Sometimes I wonder, though, you might have to ask when Ana stays for the week."

AJ winced. "Oh yeah... I still need to talk to her. But I think I'll wait until she's not in that monster car of hers."

"She'd run your ass over," Melicia giggled hysterically, forming a mental picture.

"Don't picture that, Mella!" AJ stuck his tongue out and threw a pillow at her. "I would be an AJ pancake!"

"It would be funny as Hell."

"Not funny--"

"I'm going to go make dinner," Howie finally concluded, knowing that the arguing could take forever.

Once he was in the kitchen, Melicia got up and jumped into AJ's lap. "My own AJ pancake... that could be tasty."

"I'll bring the syrup," AJ answered with a fiesty growl, allowing the temptation to drown out his wariness of danger.

"Sounds good to me," she whispered with a smile as she linked her hands around his neck.

"Just not too far, though, because you need to wear a white wedding dress," AJ teased, kissing the side of her neck.

"Yeah, I know I promised. But, if things happen..."

"You'll just have to marry me, huh?"

Melicia cocked her head in question. "Seriously?"

"Wouldn't you like to know," AJ replied mischeviously, slipping her another quick kiss before scooting out from under her. Melicia toppled face first into the plush couch and AJ scurried out to the kitchen. Melicia heard AJ call to Howie loudly, "So, what can I burn, D?!"

"Hopefully your ass, because I'll pay you back for that, McLean," Melicia mumbled into the pillow.