- Text Size +
This chap was written by Ana and me. Thanks, girl!



"Shit... Ana, help!" Melicia called, wringing her hands nervously as she looked through her closet. It was finally Friday and she was getting ready for AJ's surprise. Even though she asked him every day, AJ still wouldn't tell her what would be going on that night.

"Help with what? I'm not exactly the chick to see when it comes to dressing up," Ana teased, sauntering back through Melicia's room. She wore a pair of faded jeans with a simple white wifebeater. Her flaxen curls tossed into a low ponytail. Melicia groaned again when she saw Ana just flop onto the bed without a care in the world. Ana definitely didn't really care about her clothing style, as long as it was comfortable. "You should have called Kelly in on this issue."

"Ahh... there is nothing good to wear in this damn closet and he's going to be here in less than 15 minutes!" Melicia looked around the closet, starting to freak out a little.

"Why do you care what clothes you wear? Dude, it doesn't matter. He's taking you out, not your clothes," Ana replied, pushing upper body upward on the bed with her elbows.

"But I wanted him to see that-- that-- I don't know," she groaned in frustration before grabbing an outfit and putting it on.

"You're way too tense, Clicky. If anything, what's his favorite color?"

"Well, it's yellow," she called from the closet as she slipped on her leather skirt.

"Then wear something with yellow. Guys seem to like that I guess... At least, that's what my boys say when I wear their favorite color, but then I just knock'em to the ground and it ends," Ana laughed softly.

Melicia bit her bottom lip, looking around to see if she had anything yellow. "Aha!"

Ana watched Melicia step out from the large closet. She wore a short leather skirt with a pale yellow halter top. Melicia moved quickly toward her mirror, brushing a brush through her thick black locks. Ana crinkled her nose as Melicia twirled for her. "Did I ever tell you why I don't have many girls as close friends?" Ana asked with a small smile, clapping softly with approval over Melicia's outfit.

"Because you aren't into skirts and stuff?" Melicia teased with a smile as she sprayed on a little perfume.

"That and the girl issues are so trivial. How's my hair? How's my makeup? Do I smell good? How's my butt look? Do you think if I dated Brad that Tony would get jealous and then Steve would ask me for a date?" Ana imitated with a high pitched squeal that most girls in their high school used. Melicia rolled her eyes as Ana collapsed back onto the bed. "Guys are so much easier. You do the dude, you look like shit. And then they go, like you look any better. Then you settle the issue with rough housing."

"Each is to their own," Melicia chuckled, as she brushed her hair one more time. "Whatever they're comfortable with."

"You're definitely more comfortable in the woman department than I am. On the risk of sounding like a Chick, you look really nice."

"Thanks, Ana," she smiled, turning away from the mirror. "And thank you so much for staying here with Uncle Howie. I mean, you don't have to--"

"We're friends right?" Ana interupted.

"Well, yeah, but I've never had a friend who would do this for me."

"Then you must have had some sucky friends. Plus, your uncle isn't too bad looking. I think I can manage one night without a group of friends."

"I still really appreciate it," she smiled as footsteps came up to her room and someone knocked on the door.

Ana and Melicia glanced upward to see Howie enter the room. He surveyed Melicia's outfit, then quickly glanced at Ana's outfit. He raised his eyebrows in wonder at the obvious differences. "What are you girls doing tonight?"

"AJ had invited us both to go to the movies tonight, but Ana said she just wanted to stay here and hang out," Melicia replied. "Yeah, that's why we're dressed so different, Uncle Howie."

"You think I just bum around in a house with these clothes?" Ana asked with amusement, rolling her eyes. "If I was going out with you guys, I'd wear my hair down, but to be dressy, I'd actually let my curls down."

"I'm still learning about you, Miss Ana. Give me a break," Melicia replied, nudging Ana in the ribs.

"You'll have to put in years of effort before you figure out ALL my trap doors and secrets," Ana giggled, Melicia obviously finding her ticklish spot.

"Ooh, I'm going to have to remember to do that if you piss me off or something," she grinned as the door downstairs opened and closed.

"Do you want me to head home, Mr Dorough? Or is it all right if I hang here while they see that idotic romance movie where people fall in love at Wal-Mart?" Ana asked casually, knowing that it was the easiest way to score an invitation from Howie to stay. She really didn't want to butt in if Howie had plans.

"No, no, no, you can stay, Ana. And for the last time, PLEASE call me Howie," he replied, rolling his eyes slightly at her politeness. She had been staying for almost a week and was still calling him Mr. Dorough.

"I just figured that you'd want--"

"Some company? Yeah, I would, thank you!"

"Say-huh?" Ana asked, completely dumbfounded.

"Ah, got ya confused," Howie grinned as there was another knock at Melicia's door. "I said I would like some company tonight."

"But with me? I mean, Dude, I can just run over to my home till Clicky gets back... It's not a big deal. You can call Mr. Richardson or Mr. Carter or Mr. Littrell...." Ana tried to reason as AJ slipped into the room, slipping a silent thumb's up in Melicia's direction.

"I've been with those guys for 8 years now, Ana. I'm not going to have a house guest go back home for a couple of hours until Mel comes home."

"But--"

"Ana, come on. You and Uncle Howie will have fun," Melicia interrupted, giving her a wink. "Besides, y'all can invite the guys and that would be an experience you would never forget."

"I think I'd kick all their asses," Ana replied triumphantly, causing Howie and AJ to laugh. She glanced up with a kind smile, nodding toward Howie. "If you want me here, I guess I can't refuse."

"Great," he smiled back at her before looking down at his watch. "Aje, you guys better get going if you're seeig a movie."

"Well, I was trying to slip in here, but you blocked my way," AJ declared, pushing on Howie's shoulders.

A yelp escaped Howie as he bumped into Ana. "Sorry."

"Uh... Don't worry about it," Ana grunted as Howie caught himself before falling atop her on the bed. Feeling utterly uncomfortable, she scurried out from beneath him, tumbling onto the floor, and then jumping to her feet. She brushed off her white wife-beater, trying to act nonchalant.

"Thanks a lot, J," Howie muttered as he got up from Melicia's bed. "Weren't you two going now before you cause enough damage?"

"What damage?" AJ asked innocently.

"Yeah, try to act innocent," he got up and started to push Melicia and AJ out the door.

"You sure you don't want to come to the movie with us, Ana?" AJ asked, bracing himself against the door for a small moment. He needed to make it believable that he wanted both girls to go. Yet, something about Howie's urgency made AJ a little wary.

"I hate romance, give me blood and guts any day," Ana replied, waving them off.

"Ana may look like a girl, but she don't act like one, J," Melicia teased, poking him on the sides. "Now get going, or we're gonna miss the whole damn movie."

"No wonder she hangs out with guys. I bet she farts and burps with them too," AJ teased as Melicia shoved him hard, causing him to stumble into the hallway.

"And I usually win the fart and burp contests, too!" Ana snapped backward.

"Yeah, she does, but I don't want to be here when that starts," Melicia replied as she continued to pushed AJ down the hallways. "C'mon, you're slow!"

"You look absolutely fantastic," AJ enthused as they hurried down the steps.

"Well, thank you," she smiled as they reached the door. "Bye, Uncle Howie! We'll be back later!"

"Behave!" Howie called.

"Always!" she gave Howie a smile before they walked out the door and into AJ's car.

*~*~*

"So, where are you taking me?" Melicia asked as AJ sped down the street. She smoothed down her skirt for the hundreth time.

"A place that you'll never forget," AJ promised, taking a quick turn.

"Well, I figured that much. It's the night of your surprise and you STILL won't tell me?"

"Did anyone ever tell you that you whine too much?"

"Um... nope!" she smiled, leaning over to kiss him. "I thought it was Nick who whined too much."

"You sound just like him sometimes," AJ replied, rolling his eyes.

"Hey, that's an insult, McLean!" she objected as AJ pulled into a parking lot. Melicia craned her neck to see what it was, but couldn't see as a blindfold was pulled over her eyes. "Hey!"

"A surprise is a surprise," AJ replied, jumping out of the car. Carefully, he walked over to her side, helping her out. He wrapped his arm around her waist, leading her forward.

"I should have known you were going to do that," Melicia smiled as they walked inside the building. Smells of food filled her senses, making her stomach growl with hunger. "When do I get to see where we are?"

"When I take off the blindfold, be patient," AJ replied, kissing her neck before reaching the large table. He helped her sit down and then sat next to her.

Carefully, he leaned over and undid the blindfold. It fluttered down to Melicia's lap as she glanced all around. Her eyes were wide in absolute wonder as she squealed with delight. She sat with AJ at a large unoccupied table and below them was a giant arena. Quickly, horns blasted and the arena began to fill with jousters from Medieval times. "Oh my gosh!" Melicia squealed.

"I'm guessing you like it," AJ chuckled as she enveloped him with kisses of gratitude.

"Hell yes! Medieval Times is so freaking cool. Uncle Howie told me they had a torture chamber. Can we see it? After we're done eating and stuff? I mean, this is absolutely amazing! I love you so much! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Melicia gushed, unable to control her enthusiasm.

"Yes to any of your questions, Baby, because tonight is your night," AJ beamed happily, kissing her once more before the jousting began and their table was filled with various foods.

"TEAR HIM UP!" Melicia screamed toward the one jouster covered in red.

"Wow," AJ chuckled before taking a sip of his drink. "Not the squealing type I thought you were gonna be."

"Are you teasing me?" Melicia pouted.

"No, of course not, Mella," AJ cooed softly, kissing her. "I'm just happy you're having fun."

"This is just awesome."

"And there's more to come, the night has just started."

"We staying out late?" Melicia asked hopefully, curling her hands around AJ's hands.

"Definitely," he leaned over and kissed her. "Like I'm going to end this whole night early. You should know me better then that, Melicia Reneé."

"I do, I just wanted confirmation," Melicia murmured when their kiss ended, allowing a graceful smile to compliment her rosy cheeks. She leaned her head against AJ's shoulder, watching two more riders advance toward the jousting area.

"If I could, it would be all night until dawn," AJ kissed the top of her head as the rider in blue got knocked off his horse.

"We could say that we stayed to watch another movie...or got a late dinner..."

"We could..." AJ trailed with his familiar smirk.

"Can we?" she asked, batting her long eyelashes with a smile.

"You really like testing limits, huh?" he asked, leaning over to kiss her again.

"I get it from my dad," she replied with a simple shrug. "Mama always told me he was the risk taker in their relationship."

"It's something that I find really attractive, Mella. No one wanted to take risks with me. Maybe that's why I'm the only one that got my foot run over..." AJ trailed for a moment, causing Melicia to laugh loudly. He shook his head, running his hand along her back. "We're definitely staying out till dawn. We'll face the wrath later... Or maybe Ana can keep Howie too occupied to even notice?"

"The way they were looking at each other... it's a possibility. Her and Uncle Howie have been getting closer since she came into the house."

"Closer? Think he might adopt her since her father is a practical no show?" AJ joked.

"Funny, McLean," she rolled her eyes, nudging his side as a new jousting match began. "Real funny."

"Well, you said they're getting closer. I just assumed..."

"Yeah, yeah, hush up," she smiled before kissing him again. They were just about done eating and that jousting was finished. "So, we've had this fantastic dinner with kick ass entertainment... what's next?"

"You said you wanted to check out the torture chamber, never figured you were the S&M kind of girl."

"Ooh, yeah... well, you didn't start looking at me different until a few weeks ago," she wiggled her eyebrows. "There's a lot of things you don't know."

"You're odd..." AJ drawled, "But I like it."

"Well, I sure hope so," they kissed again. It seemed as if Melicia couldn't get enough physical contact from him. "Can we go into the torture chamber now?"

"Yeah, sure, but why?"

She shrugged. "I think it's interesting stuff."

"All right, anything to intice that heart of yours."

Melicia smiled again as AJ got out of his chair and helped her out of hers. "Thank you so much, AJ."

"For what?" he asked, wrapping his arm around her waist.

"For... for making me feel like I was something special..." she blushed a little. "No other guy I was with before would do this for me."

"You are something special, Melicia."

"Really?"

"True to my heart," AJ promised.

~*~*~

"Okay, I have to ask this now before I go crazy. What's up with the cowboy hat?" Howie finally pondered, watching Ana saunter out to the back yard with her tan leather cowboy, her flaxen curls tied into two braids, and her skimpy, string, cherry-print bikini. Howie tried not to stare at her young figure, fearing that he might compromise his thoughts. He struggled to remind himself that she was Melicia's age, but her personality and beauty was just too tempting.

"My guy friends bought it for me when we found out I was accepted to North Carolina's Duke Pre-Med program. My Momma became a doctor there, so I figured to follow tradition. I was born in North Carolina, then we moved here. So, country born and Florida raised. So, the cowboy hat just fits," Ana replied, sitting down at the edge of the pool, allowing her long lean legs to dangle in the cool water.

"You got accepted into Duke?" Howie whistled in approval. "Congratulations, that school is hard to get into."

"Yeah, thanks, but it wasn't that hard."

"That's being a little modest," he clicked his tongue with a smile. "You should be proud you got in, many kids don't."

"Hopefully I manage to stay in," Ana laughed as Howie sat down beside her.

"I don't think you have anything to worry about," he chuckled. "Sometimes I worry about Mel though, when she heads to college."

"She'll be okay. If anything, I can help her through it."

"I have to say I am glad she got accepted into Duke with you," Howie agreed, pushing on her shoulder a little.

"Yeah, now you'll just have to move with us."

"I just may have to," he agreed with a smile. "Need to make sure you girls are safe."

Ana nodded, knowing that she wouldn't mind having Howie so close to her during her stay at Duke. She quickly refused to allow her mind to retreat to sensual thoughts, so she looked for a diversion. She noticed the basketball hoop set off to the side of the pool. She offered her usualy impish grin toward Howie, allowing her bare shoulder to glance off his tight chest. "So, do you just keep that basketball hoop for show? Or do you actually play?"

"We play on it, especially if it's the five of us," Howie replied, his heart fleeting at their brief skin to skin contect. "But if it's just me, I usually swim."

"You want to take me up on the offer of playing?"

"Sure, sounds good," he agreed, standing up and helping Ana to her feet. "Ready to get beat?"

"Beat from you?" Ana laughed, immediately diving into the deep waters. When she resurfaced, she wiped the water away from her eyes, not really noticing Howie admiring her sleek body. "Hate to break it to you, Mr. Doroug--ah--Howie, but I got skills."

"We'll see about that, Miss Lord," Howie choked out as she slid out of the pool, grabbing her towel and drying off.

"Had to take a quick jump in, the water was utterly fantastic," Ana explained as she tossed her towel to the side. She reached down to tug her ADIDAS on her bare feet, knowing the court could actually bruise bare feet.

"Yeah, I know," he agreed. "Everytime the fellas and I have a break, I almost live in this pool. Ready to play ball?"

Yeah, sure," Ana stated, glancing down at her outfit. She offered a short laugh, reaching over to tug on her wife beater. "I definitely think I might end up setting some clothing trends in high school, walking around in a bikini and sneakers."

"I wouldn't mind it," Howie mumbled to himself as he followed Ana to the basketball court. He immediately picked up the ball and began dribbling up and down the tarmat.

Ana immediately started to jog down the court, following Howie. He started to jump toward the hoop for an easy lay-up, but Ana sprung upward, knocking the ball away. She gracefully landed, snatching the bouncing ball, and throwing it against the hoop for two points. She smiled in triumph as the ball bounced beneath the hoop. "Score two for me," Ana announced with an impish smile.

"The game has just begun, Love," he replied with a wink as she checked him the ball and weaved around her.

"Love?" Ana called in surprise, stalling for just a minute. She groaned when Howie sunk the ball, immediately throwing it back toward her. Ana rolled her eyes, quickly passing the ball between her legs, and backing up. She bounced on her heels, sinking the ball cleanly into the net. "I believe that's three, DARLING."

"If you think you're going to beat me at basketball AND how many terms of endearments we both know, you will lose one of those."

"Okay, I'll just accept beating you in basketball," Ana replied, snatching the ball away from Howie as he jogged toward the net. She turned on her heels, backed up again, and shot. Another clean sweep into the net. "Another three."

"You're like a basketball phenomenon," Howie muttered in awe as she threw the ball at him and he attempted a three pointer as well. The ball sunk in easily. "OH, YEAH!"

"You're still behind," Ana reminded as Howie chucked the ball toward her. "How much we playing to?"

"Umm... 15," He replied as she made another two pointer and then he got a three pointer.

"Fifteen..." Ana murmured, blocking one more of his tosses toward the hoop. She immediately backed up, turned on her heel, and sunk the ball into the net. She smiled in triumph, throwing her arms into the air. "AND THE GAME ENDS! ANA TRIUMPHANT YET AGAIN! KICKING DOM'S ASS, THEN HOWIE'S, IS THERE ANYONE SHE CAN'T BEAT?!"

Howie just stood for a minute, taking in all of Ana as she ran up and down the court; cheering and dancing. "You win, Sweetheart."

"Yes, I did, Weasel!" Ana announced, noticing Howie's odd look. She shrugged her bare shoulders. "It's a term of endearment in my book."

"Oh, okay," he gave her a smile, an idea popping into his head. Taking action before his conscience stopped him, he picked Ana up into his arms and ran towards the pool.

"Hey! Hey! He--" They splashed hard into the deep side of the pool. She resurfaced before Howie, kicking her powerful legs to get away. Yet, he was too fast. Before she could make heads or tails of her location, Howie had pinned her against the deep side of the pool. Her breaths caused her chest to rise dramatically, brushing against his own. Her deep blue-green eyes searching his own with an impish spark. "I'm sorry for gloating, Weas--ah--Babe?"

"I didn't care about the gloating," he panted softly, feeling her chest brush against his. "I just wanted you to see that people can surprise you when they least suspect it."

"And why did you want to do that?" she asked, her back pressed firmly against the cool tiles as waves rippled across her bare skin.

He shrugged, still keeping her close to him. "Just thought it would be good for you to know as you get older."

"That guys will always take a chance at throwing a girl in a white tank top in a pool? Sorry, but I've learned that already," Ana teased, chuckling lightly, trying to make the best of her tense emotions.

Howie gave a smile, wondering in the back of his mind how it would feel to kiss Ana's full, soft lips. Chills went down his spine.

"You're not the first guy to grab me up and toss me in a pool," Ana murmured casually, trying to unlock their eyes.

"Well, I'm not usually this forward with girls. It's more AJ or Brian's thing."

"What are you trying to say exactly?"

Howie was at a loss of words for the moment. He licked his dry lips, clearing his throat. "Well, there must be something about the girl I like ifI can be like this."

"If you can be like..." Ana let her words trail off softly. Her head was growing fuzzy with anticipation. She didn't know what to expect. Never had she been so nervous around a man. Her heart thumped wildly in her chest and she almost assumed that Howie could feel it when their chests connected.

Howie didn't even feel himself lean towards her until their faces were inches apart. His mind screamed at him to stop, but his heart was fighting back and winning for the moment.

"Are you going to kiss..." Ana's words were halted with Howie's lips atop her own. The passion that Howie had bridled against his heart sent strong waves of satisfaction through Ana's body. Her body felt as if Howie had lit it aflame. She instinctively brought her hands up around his neck, crushing her body against his own.

Howie felt an instant connection between them as he softened his lips against hers, resting his hands against the wall behind her. His heart hammered hard as they continued to kiss for what seemed like an eternity.

"I...I figured you were going to do that," Ana whispered faintly when they finally managed to pull apart.

"Did you mind me doing that?" he asked, caressing her cheek.

"No, not at all... I actually enjoyed it," she answered, closing her eyes in hopes to keep the world from spinning around her.

"Good. So did I," he replied, leaning in ti kiss her closed eyelids.

"What about our--"

He silenced her again with a heated kiss.

Ana pushed herself back against him, adding more passion to the kiss he initiated. When they broke off once more, both were panting. "Look, if that's the way you're going to shut me up... I'm going to need a chastity belt."

"I-I'm sorry," Howie whispered, looking into her dark eyes. "I don't know what came over me."

"Attraction?"

"Well, that's a duh," he chuckled.

"I don't know what to say exactly, Howie."

"I don't know, either--"

"I just don't want that feeling to stop," she interupted, leaning up to brush her lips against his own.

Howie wrapped his arms around her and carried her out of the pool, their lips still connected as he sat them down in a lounge chair.

After several minutes of heated passion, Ana finally pulled away. She took several gulps of air, holding a hand to her damp chest. She glanced up into Howie's soft brown eyes, knowing that it was right. "Do...do you even care about me being eighteen? I mean, is this just a once in a lifetime kind of deal? Or is this a chance of lasting kind of deal? Or is this a, you're cute kid, now head home, kind of goodbye?"

"All I see when I look at you is someone I could be with. I don't see your age, and I don't see a kid."

"Do you see Melicia coming out back?" Ana asked in somewhat of a panic.

"Huh?"

"HEY MELICIA!" Ana called loudly, jumping up from the lounge chair. She snatched her cowboy hat, pulling it down over her head to hopefully shield her blushing cheeks. She walked up and threw her arms around Melicia's shoulders, knowing she would at least have to talk with Howie later. "I have the greatest news, Clicky! I managed to swing a duet into the concert, you and me!"

"Really?! No way!" Melicia squealed, hugging Ana tightly.

"Yeah, they want us to do something to dedicate to 9/11. I know two perfect songs that we can choose from," Ana replied, turning Melicia around for a moment. She gave Howie a knowing look, signaling him to at least find her alone later. Howie nodded, giving her a wink as he grabbed a towel and headed inside the house.

"What songs did you have in mind?" Melicia asked.

"Let's talk about it inside, along with other things," Ana decided, grabbing Melicia's wrists. She needed to get away from the scene of what she thought might be a crime. She refused to tell Melicia what happened, knowing that she might be shot on sight. Yet, knowing the dangers of being Melicia's friend and Howie's lover, the worst part was that she wanted the feeling to continue.