- Text Size +
This chap was written by Ana and me. Thanks, girl!




Ana flopped down on Melicia's oversized water bed, kicking her water-logged shoes over to the side of the room. She then stood up for a moment, wrapping her large towel around her slim frame before collapsing back down onto the water bed. Melicia glanced to Ana's obviously soaking shoes, and then back to Ana with question. Ana shrugged her shoulders with her usual impish smile. "Your uncle threw me in the pool after I kicked his ass in basketball, Clicky," Ana answered.

"Ah, I see. Uncle Howie and the guys get competitive like that," Melicia laid down next to Ana.

"Yeah," Ana trailed, hoping her cheeks weren't red.

"So, everything go alright last night here?"

"Yeah, almost too alright."

Melicia raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"Well, obviously, about the concert," Ana replied, forcing her calmness to exceed normalcy. She didn't want Melicia to know what happened and she sure as Hell didn't want to believe that it did happen. "They want us to dedicate the song to our moms, so I figured two songs that we can handle. You can choose."

"Oh, alright... what two songs did you have in mind?"

"Mind you, I was born in North Carolina and I'm going to live in North Carolina, so they're both country songs," Ana quickly announced.

"I figured as much," Melicia chuckled a little. "Country music is one of my favorites, anyway."

"We have one of my favorites, which is Toby Keith, Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue. And then Darryl Worley, Have You Forgotten. Both are pretty new and have more emotion than I can probably call forth in the moment."

"Both of them sound like a perfect dedication... do you have the songs so we can listen and choose?"

"Me not bring music when I leave the home?" Ana scoffed.

"Dumb question, I know," Melicia rolled her eyes as Ana hopped off the bed and turned on the stereo.

"Toby first, because he's a definite keeper," Ana announced as the song started to play. Ana sat down on the large oak desk, pulling on her cowboy hat. Without a second thought, she softly began to sing the lyrics, "American Girls and American Guys / We'll always stand up and salute / We'll always recognize / When we see Old Glory Flying / There's a lot of men dead / So we can sleep in peace at night / When we lay down our head..."

Melicia laid there, just listening to Toby's deep voice harmonizing with Ana's. Pictures of the tower falling, knowing her mother was inside, flashed in her mind. Tears brimmed in her dark eyes as the song ended.

Ana glanced over to see Melicia wallowing in obvious pain as the song ended. She immediately tapped the button off, standing up. Her eyes were heavy with unshed tears, but she never let them fall. Instead, she choked them back quickly. "I didn't think that you'd be so... I'm sorry to even suggest you help in the first place... I was just doing it because Mrs. Clark really wanted me to... Maybe you shouldn't help me with the dedication, Clicky?"

"No, I'm alright," Melicia rubbed her eyes. "I want to do this dedication."

"Clicky," Ana took another deep breath to completely sink the sob rising in her throat. "I should just tell Mrs. Clark to check it out the door--"

"NO!" Melicia blurted. Her cheeks turned red as Ana took a step back.

"Maybe I should go," Ana replied softly, obviously hurt.

"Ana, no, wait. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell. I just... I really want to do this."

"You're upset, though, I mean, I should give you time..." Ana replied, taking another step back. She paused for a moment as if reading Melicia's mind. She could see the look that most gave her when they saw her smiling with her friends. "I'm upset, too, Clicky. I cry every night for my mother. I have nightmares that I'm on the plane with her. Don't think I don't care for her and that I didn't love her. Okay? I just don't want to cry, because I won't stop."

"I understand you're hurting, too. I just... I don't like being alone, Ana. You're the only friend I know who is feeling the same pain I do. Please, don't leave just because I was stupid and yelled at you."

"Clicky, I--"

"Please, Ana. Don't go."

"You have your uncle and AJ--"

"Who have no idea what it's like to lose their mom."

"I just don't want to step where I won't be wanted, it'd be like dating your uncle," Ana blurted without any thought.

"Dating my WHAT?" Melicia asked, trying to clarify what Ana just said. She forgot about her mom for a moment.

"Huh?" Ana asked in confusion.

"You said something about dating my... uncle?"

"Just hypothetical, you know?" Ana replied, slowly easing her way into a tale of fiction. Her father was a natural liar or a lawyer most labeled it. It came natural when she felt like it. "Would you honestly want me dating your uncle? Which has worst chances than Hell freezing over."

Melicia shrugged. "I don't know. I would be a little freaked, but I can't say anything about it because I'm with his best friend."

"But, it's dangerous territory, just like when it comes to talking about 9/11 with us. Just somewhere that people don't want to step. Which is why I think I should just let you calm down for the night---"

"Ana, for the last time, I don't want you to leave tonight."

"But--"

"Please, I don't want to be alone," Melicia begged.

Ana bit down hard on her bottom lip, knowing that Melicia desperately needed her. Without though, she jumped into Melicia's bed, throwing the covers over both her and Melicia. Immediately, Melicia leaned her head on Ana's bare shoulder. "I know the perfect way for you to have sweet dreams and relieve all the tension you feel about your mom, Clicky. And, you're going to love me forever for it," Ana soothed, instinctivly running her fingers through Melicia's locks like her mother used to do with her.

"Really?" Melicia whispered, her eyes getting heavy with relaxation as she felt Ana's fingers run through her hair. "What is it?"

"You tell me everything that you can possibly remember about your mother. All the happy times and all the sad times. Just everything. I wrote everything I could think about my mother right after the funeral... Made me somewhat more relaxed, but I think if you could tell someone everything that you might heal a little better than me. Sound good, Clicky?" Ana murmured softly.

"Yeah... alright," Melicia thought for a moment, thinking about her mom.

Ana watched Melicia close her eyes, slowly starting to conjure pictures of her mother's memory. Within a few moments, Melicia started speaking with no direction. Random thoughts bubbled to the surface as she told Ana every intimate detail of her life. Ana just listened intentively, continuing to run her fingers through Melicia's curls, praying that Melicia would be able to reveal her feelings instead of bottling them in her heart like Ana was used to.

*~*~*

Ana found herself outside Howie's bedroom door before she actually realized the consequences for her actions. She had lulled Melicia into a perfect sleep with dreamy images of her late mother. Ana knew that Melicia was greatful for Ana listening to everything she had to say. Not once did Ana interupt. And, when Melicia drifted away, Ana tucked her in and prepared to walk into her the guest room, but hesitated at Howie's door. She took a deep breath, tapping softly on the door. She refused to let her brain make the judgement, just once wanting to follow her passionate heart.

She was just about to leave, thinking Howie had fallen asleep when the door opened. "Ana... hi," he replied, clad in dark blue boxers and white wifebeater.

"Oh shit," Ana wheezed, her brain finally making a connection with her heart.

"Are you alright? Here, come in," he opened the door more to let her inside.

"I just realized that I probably shouldn't have knocked on your door. I just got Melicia to sleep peacefully and I probably should be doing the same. But then I thought about the kiss... And that was stupid because you probably forgot about it. I'm still in my bikini of all things. My shoes are wet... And I'm a complete moron, so I guess I'll see you in the morning," Ana rambled almost incessantly, turning from the open doorway.

"Wait a second, Ana," he reached out and grabbed her arm.

"What'd I do?" she asked, almost like a fearful child.

"Nothing bad. Just come in and talk with me," Howie replied kindly as he brought her into his lavish room.

"What do you want to talk about?" she asked, pausing at the threshold of the room. She was amazed to find it filled with a creamy laid back style, nothing too exotic, but still beautiful.

"About this afternoon," Howie went and sat down on his bed. He patted the spot next to him, smiling at her. "I know it's been on your mind like it has for me. I mean... what do you feel about it?"

"What I feel about it or what I think about it?" Ana asked, hesitating before sitting down beside him. Instinctively, she brought her feet beneath her to sit.

"Both," he replied simply, running a hand through her locks.

"I wanted that kiss more than I thought I would. At first I thought that it was a mistake, because so many things were riding on it. But it felt right. It felt good. It felt like I should be feeling at this stage in my life. And I ended up feeling something that I haven't felt since my mother died - love."

"I know what you mean. Ana, what I felt with you when we kissed... I've never felt that with any girl I've been with in my life. Many people would tell me I'm wrong to think this about you and I - but I don't care what they say, because it feels right to me."

"But Melicia--"

"Will freak out if she caught us. I agree with you. But... if we just take this slow, and see where it will go... we can talk to her about it."

"You invite me into your comfy bedroom to tell me to take it slow?" Ana teased, trying to ease out her tense thoughts. No matter what happened, she always make the best of the situation by making it amusing in her own mind.

"Well, I--" Howie stopped, chuckling at the fact. "I'll be damned, you're right..."

"Trying to be my teddy bear?"

"Only if you want one," he replied with a smile, leaning in to kiss her.

Ana fell back against the bed, bracing herself by the elbows. She continued the kiss, spicing up the intensity. She didn't want to feel so hollow anymore and Howie was giving her the chance to be free. She allowed a smile to grace her lips when they parted for a moment, Howie's forehead resting against her own. "I definitely haven't felt love like this... And, I haven't felt so complete since I buried my mother..."

"I'm glad I can help you feel love... but you know your mom is right here," he rested his fingers on her chest. "in your heart."

"I shouldn't even be talking about love with you anyway. One stupid kiss..." Ana murmured, suddenly stiffening. She couldn't believe that her mother was inside her heart, because she felt so alone. And if her mother were collected in her own heart, the pain and abandonment would cease.

"So you think us kissing is stupid?"

"No..." Ana hesitated, knowing she was making an idiot of herself. "I just don't think that I should use the word love, because it's a serious word...and...you said not to rush things..."

"Love means a lot of things, Ana."

"And what does it mean to you when you look at me?" Ana asked point blank.

"Honestly?"

"Yeah."

"The love I feel when I look at you... it's something I think can grow and lost us a lifetime."

"A couple kisses and you declare a love that lasts a lifetime? Are you like a dream come true from one of the chicky's romance novels?"

Howie shrugged helplessly. "I just have that romantic soul."

"And you want a girl who doesn't even go to romance movies?"

"You know what they say. 'Opposites attract'."

"More so than expected," Ana murmured, feeling Howie press his lips against her own once more. She sighed contently against his warm lips, allowing her hands to link around his neck, pulling him close. "I've decided," Ana stated quite suddenly when they silently parted.

"Decided about what?" Howie asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You can be my teddy bear," she said with her impish smile.

"Good," he smiled, kissing her again.

"So, we're definitely doing this?"

"Indefinitely," he agreed, pulling her into his arms before falling back onto the bed.

Ana covered her mouth to keep from shrieking in surprise. Howie smiled as Ana settled overtop his body. It felt so perfect as if they were made to fit. Ana took a deep breath, kissing his forehead. "I should probably get back to the guest ro--"

"No, not yet," he gave a sly smile before pulling her lips against his.

"You holding me hostage to your bedroom for the night?" she asked incredously, accepting yet another kiss.

"I may just have to do that," he agreed. "we could just wake up before Mel does since school's tomorrow anyway."

"Are you serious? You want me in here tonight? I mean, with everything? And?"

"Yeah, I am serious. But, if you don't want to--"

"No, I'd like to, but I just can't help thinking that you'd kill Clicky for the same thing..." Ana hesitated, knowing with all her heart that she wouldn't mind spending the night cuddling against him. It had been so long since she had actually felt like a part of something. So long since she hadn't felt alone.

"I would never have to do that with Mel, because she doesn't feel for any of the guys like that," Howie replied, caressing her cheek with his thumb. "Stay the night? Please?"

"Cuddling next to you would be fantastic. I've been alone for a long time..." Ana pondered, chewing on her lip with question.

"You don't have to be alone anymore, Ana," he whispered, leaning in to kiss her.

"But, what about--"

Howie gently placed his hand over her mouth. "Shh. Stop worrying."

Ana quickly pulled Howie's hand away from her mouth, kissing it before she placed in against his chest. She then sat up, straddling his hips. Howie's eyes glittered in surprise. She pointed to her wardrobe. "I can't sleep in this. The bikini will ride up!"

"I wouldn't mind--"

"Howie!"

"What?" he asked with a smirk.

"No sex till I'm married," Ana scolded.

"I know, I know. I'm teasing. You can borrow some of my clothes for the night."

"I can just go get--"

"Are you always so argumentive?" Howie groaned teasingly.

"Would you like me any better if I wasn't?"

"No, it's what makes you cute."

"Okay, you can get me some of your clothes then," Ana chirped with her usual impish smirk, still sitting on him.

"How am I able to get you clothes if you're still sitting on my hips?"

"I thought you liked me here..."

"That's a duh right there, Honey," he kissed her softly. "But how can I get you clothes?"

"Alright, go ahead," she answered, sliding off.

"Without a fight?" Howie asked, hesitating a minute.

"I need clothes and Hell, I just might keep them," Ana laughed.

Howie chuckled, kissing her forehead as he got up and went into his large closet. He found a white wifebeater and purple boxers before coming out. Ana was about to speak when he threw them at her and the boxers landed on her head.

"Somehow, that could have been a little more perverted than anticipated..." Ana murmured, quickly pulling them away from her face. She jumped off the bed, trying to hide her obviously reddening cheeks. She felt like an absolutely different person around Howie. Never had she let her guards down so dramatically, yet, she trusted him more than he would ever know.

"Could have been," Howie agreed with a smirk.

"Typical guy response," Ana rolled her eyes.

"You're around them long enough, huh?" Howie teased, collapsing down on his bed.

"Am I supposed to change in front of you, Master? Or am I allowed out?" Ana teased right back, her blue-green eyes glittering impishly.

"You can go wherever you want to change."

It only took Ana a few minutes to change in the bathroom. When she opened the door leading to Howie's bedroom, he was floored. She had pulled her blonde curls back in a low ponytail, allowing her beautiful facial features to glow. His purple boxers and wifebeater hung loose around her slim frame, allowing him to dream. Ana hesitated for a moment, noticing Howie's obvious stare. "Something wrong?"

"No, not at all. You look... wow..." he breathed.

"It's just your clothes," Ana murmured, blushing yet again.

"There's something about you that makes my clothes look... you have me speechless."

"So that means I can keep them?" she asked with a confident smile, diving onto the bed, almost landing on top of him yet again.

"Of course you can," he reached over and pulled her on top of him.

"You definitely like me a lot," she laughed, leaning down to kiss him.

"I definitely do," he grinned, kissing her again.

"So, I'm a definite keeper?"

"Yes, you are."

"Even if Clicky kicks me out of her life for doing the unthinkable?"

"Even if all that and more happens, you're still going to be my girl."

"Just don't make me bury my heart alongside my mother," Ana murmured, more to herself than Howie.

"Hey..." Howie made her look into his eyes. "I'm never going to hurt you. Okay?"

"Alright, I guess I'm just tired," Ana stated, shrugging it off. "Some people have to go to school tomorrow before Duke decides they're not wanted any more."

Howie nodded, pulling down the covers and crawling under them. He held his arms out to Ana, who immediately cuddled against him.

Ana let her eyes fall close when Howie clicked off the lights. He pulled her closer, kissing the top of her head. Ana sighed with contentment, knowing that under other circumstances she would be left to fend on her own in the gigantic house that only held memories of her mother. "Thanks for making me spend the week, Howie."

"I wouldn't have had it any other way, Ana," he whispered, his fingers tracing up and down her back.

"So, when did you know?"

"About my feelings for you?"

"Yeah."

"My answer is going to be really cheesy," he warned with a chuckle. "But I knew the minute I saw you washing the Beast."

"Yeah? Me soaking wet in a white wifebeater with bikini underneath, topped with bubbles?" she laughed, kissing his collarbone without a second thought.

"Well, that was the bonus part of it," he objected, shivering a little at the kiss on his bare skin. "You just... I don't know. I was smitten right then."

"A secret worth keeping," Ana decided with a small yawn.

"Definitely," Howie agreed, kissing her forehead. "Get some sleep. We need to be up early tomorrow."

"Yeah, me dashing to the guest room in a fevered pace as Clicky tramples a few minutes behind me, bouncing on my chest... The joy..."

"If everything goes to plan tomorrow morning, I'll make you girls a special breakfast, okay?"

"To plan? What's your plan? Just getting me out of your room unscathed?

"Ana," he groaned quietly. "You know what I mean."

"I know, I just like hearing that sexy growl of a groan," Ana chirped, leaning up to embrace him in a heated kiss. Howie immediately tightened his grip against her back, crushing her against him. Ana moaned against his lips, loving the vibrations of sensuality coursing from their passion. And they stayed like that, throughout the night.