- Text Size +
Oh can't you see
You belong to me
How my poor heart aches
With every step you take

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you




-Funeral for 9/11 victims-


"Thousands of people have suffered from the cowardly attacks on September 11th. Whether it was here in the towers, Pennsylvania or Pentagon; we share the same pain. All those who lost a loved one will come up and speak of them," the priest called out over the vast audience.

Melicia sat near the back, a black cowboy hat over her puffy face. She remembered her mother's reaction when AJ bought it for her and this just caused more tears to fall down her face. The death of Sarah finally sunk in when Melicia saw the news and waited up all night for her to come home. Food became unnecessary and by the time ofthe service, she had lost 15 pounds. Knowing she ha to go up alone and speak about Sarah, she somewhat pulled herself together until she felt someone sit next to her.

"Mella, it's me," a soft voice whispered in her ear.

"Oh, Uncle Howie!" they hugged tightly. "I didn't think anyone was going to come until the funeral in Florida for Mom."

"I wasn't going to let you go through this alone," Howie sighed, caressing her cheek. "And the guys are right back behind us."

"Thank you," they hugged again before going up to talk about Sarah. Cameras flashed when Howie appeared, even if he was at his sister's funeral. Pulling the hat away from her face, Melicia spoke first.

"My name is Melicia Dorough. My mom was Sarah Rose Dorough. She worked in the North Tower on the 100th floor. There wasn't even any hope for them when it happened... she was such an amazing person. My mom was one of those people anyone could turn to with problems and she would know just what to say to make it better. I don't think I will ever forget how it felt to have not only my father but now my mother taken away from me. It's not fair, but I know that they're together in Heaven," her voice cracked. "Waiting for me so we can be a family again. I love you, Mama."

"As you all may know, I'm Howie Dorough," he took Melicia's hand and squeezed it. "Sarah was my older sister and I looked up to her so much. All I wanted to be when I grew up was to be a wonderful person like her. Everyone loved her and thought of her as a surrogate mother. It was like she was intune with everyone's feelings. Sarah and my other sister Caroline were the exact same. The Earth lost them much too soon, but they have impacted our family and many others forever. Te amo, mi hermana. Te amo." Tears fell down his face as he and Melicia went back to their seats.

By the time the service was done everyone was emotionally drained and tired.

"Mel, I'm so sorry about your mom," Brian said quietly, bringing her in for a hug.

"Thanks, Bri-Bri," she sighed, kissing his cheek. The guys all gave her hugs and apologies, teary eyes as well.

"Are you ready to go to my house, sweets?" Howie asked as they entered Sarah and Melicia's apartment.

"Your house? You mean to visit?"

"No, to live with me. Your mom's will gave me full custody until you graduate college. She wanted to make sure you were taken care of." Melicia looked at Howie in disbelief.

"You're making me leave my HOME? The memories of me and my mom? Are you crazy?! I'm not living in Florida! Never!"

"You have to, Mel! It's what the law says!"

"Fuck the law! You're not my dad and you sure as Hell ain't my mom!" Kevin stood up for Howie, his face stern.

"Mel, give Howie a break--"

"SHUT UP, KEVIN! JUST SHUT UP! I'M NOT LEAVING NEW YORK, YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!" She screamed, crying in hitching gasps as she ran into her room. The door slammed and she locked it.