- Text Size +
The sun shone brightly the next morning, directly into AJ's eyes. "Damn sun," he grumbled, covering his eyes.

"About time, Baby! C'mon!" Melicia announced brightly, bouncing on the bed. AJ peeked his eyes open for a moment to see Melicia dressed in a pair of jean shorts with her bright yellow bikini. AJ tilted his head to the side in absolute confusion, causing Melicia to laugh. She had so much energy from last night that it was unbelievable. "We have to meet Ana and Uncle Howie at the beach! Ana's teaching me to surf!"

"You have WAY too much energy this early in the morning," AJ groaned, turning onto his stomach and covering his head with a pillow. "Can't you be like normal people and SLEEP?"

"You made me have energy, Baby," Melicia answered with a high-pitched coo.

"I ain't getting up, Sweetheart. Nope. Ain't gonna happen."

"I'll make it worth your while later," Melicia growled, climbing on top of his back. She removed part of the cover, starting to kiss the back of his neck.

AJ shivered at the kisses, immediately turning around so she straddled his hips. "I have to wait?"

"I called Ana and she told me she's heading to the beach! I can't miss my lessons!" Melicia whined, holding her hands out for emphasis.

"Alright, alright, alright," he chuckled, taking her hands and kissing her before hopping out of bed. Melicia shrieked in surprise and toppled off the edge.

"MCLEAN!" Melicia groaned.

"Sorry, Baby!" AJ bit back on his laughter, walking over to where she fell and held out his hands to help her up.

Without hesitation, Melicia grabbed his hands and yanked hard. AJ cursed as he went flying downward. Melicia jumped up, smiling boldly. She wiped her hands as if clearing the dust. "Now get your naked ass dressed!"

"You like this naked ass," AJ muttered as he got up and went into his closet.

"It was a good piece," Melicia admitted with a sly smirk, sitting on the bed.

"Is that all I am to you? A good piece of ass?" AJ mimicked a drama queen as he came out in red swimming shorts and white wifebeater. "Well, Miss Dorough, I see how it is!"

"I'm the motherfucking P.I.M.P," Melicia sang with a smirk.

"Yeah, you wish. 50 Cent wannabe," AJ chuckled as he walked over to the bed and kissed her deeply.

*~*~*

"You should tell them that if they watch us any harder they might burn holes through our skin," Ana murmured playfully to Melicia as she carefully scrubbed her purple surfboard imprinted with various images of faeries. Melicia was scrubbing up a surf board that AJ had purchased for her before they came to the beach. It was a colored with licking flames incircling a crowned heart, signifying their love. AJ and Howie sat further up on the beach, keeping a steady eye on both girls as several boys past them, looking enviously. Ana didn't seem to notice the other boys as much as she kept glancing back at Howie with a blush in her cheeks. She never felt so loved before, but now she was concentrating on teaching Melicia to surf.

"Yeah, no kidding," Melicia shook her head with a chuckle as a blonde surfer gave her a wink. She saw AJ glare at the guy and he quickly scurried off. "Those two are really protective."

"It's not like we don't look hot, though," Ana laughed with a roll of her eyes. Ana was wearing her favorite cherry-printed bikini top that wrapped around her chest with no string and a pair of red boy-cut bikini bottoms. Melicia had decided to wear AJ's favorite yellow bikini with high cut bottoms and a bra-type of top

"I ain't gonna deny that. We are SMOKING," Melicia grinned as she continued to scrub at her board. "Now tell me... am I gonna kill myself the first time surfing?"

"No, it takes a couple weeks before you feel overly confident to try a huge wave, then you'll kill yourself," Ana answered simply, shrugging her bare shoulders.

"Thanks, Ana. I feel SO MUCH better," Melicia groaned, stopping to look at her board for a minute. "I just can't stop looking at how cool my board design is."

"He bought it for you, didn't he?"

"Yeah," she gave a sheepish smile, running a hand over the crowned heart. "He said the symbol represents our love."

"He's really got you hooked, huh? I mean, you love him a lot right?" Ana asked, continuing to work on her board. She needed it just perfect before she hit the waves. Her mother had taught her how to surf and her board had been a present from her mother. She always wanted to rock when she hit the waves - for her mother.

"Yeah, I really do love him... and it's even deeper after last night," Melicia's face blushed a little as she remembered last night.

"What happened last night?"

"You know how you told AJ that you thought you were cock-blocking me?" Melicia said somewhat shyly, starting to grease her board yet again. Her cheeks were a furious red as Ana's eyes grew wide in surprise. "Well, let's just say that you un-cocked your block."

"You had sex with him?" Ana asked softly in surprise, unable to believe the irony of the situation. Howie had wanted Melicia and AJ out of the house so he could have sex with Ana. Yet, AJ and Melicia had wanted out of the house so they could have sex. She placed her cast against her mouth to keep from laughing.

"Yeah... it was so scary at first, but... damn. Now I know why all those fans want AJ in their bed," Melicia laughed a little.

"Wow, guess I did a better job at un-cock-blocking than I did at cock-blocking. Think I took up the wrong profession."

"Yeah, you did a really good job," Melicia looked back at AJ and gave him a wink. "So, what did you and Uncle Howie do last night?"

Ana was about to reply, but a young surfer approached the girls in a quick pace. He had light blonde locks with gleaming emerald eyes. He was about AJ's height with the start of a well-chiseled form. He was deadly serious as he spouted off some of Eminem's lyrics, "They call me Superman / Leap tall hoes in a single bound, I'm single now / Got no ring on this finger now / I'd never let another chick bring me down / in a relationship, save it bitch / Babysit? You make me sick / Superman ain't savin shit / Girl you can jump on Shady's dick."

Melicia was utterly horrified that the young man had signified that both girls were the obvious "hoes" and that they should be the ones performing sexual favors to him. She saw out of the corner of her eye both Howie and AJ rise from their seats on towels, obviously hearing the young man, but Ana stepped forward, poking him in the chest. Melicia saw the intensity in her eyes as she slammed the rest of the lyrics back at the boy without hesitation, "Straight from the hip, cut to the chase / I tell a muh'fuckin slut to her face / Play no games, say no names / Ever since I broke up with what's-her-face / I'm a different man, kiss my ass / Kiss my lips, bitch why ask? / Kiss my dick - get my cash? / I'd rather have you whip my ass / Don't put out, I'll put you out / Won't get out, I'll push you out / Puss blew out, poppin shit / Wouldn't piss on fire to put you out / Am I too nice to buy you ice? / Bitch if you died, wouldn't buy you life / What you tryin to be my new wife? / What you Mariah? / Fly through twice."

The boy and Ana stared intensely at one another as AJ and Howie started to hurry their pace, assuming something terrible would happen. Melicia was preparing to grab Ana and run, but without warning, Ana lunged toward the boy with laughter. The boy quickly seized Ana up into his arms, careful of her cast as he hugged her tightly as he ran toward the ocean surf. "You're such an asshole, Pierce! Thinking I don't know some Slim Shady and trying to scare poor Clicky like that! You don't even know the girl!" Ana hollered loud enough for Melicia to hear as she was thrown into the surf with the boy named Pierce.

"I'm going to kick that kid's ass so hard that he's going to shit out of his nose!" Howie hissed loudly as he stopped with AJ at Melicia's side. He watched the boy dive beneath the waves with Ana in his arms. Howie could only think the worst of the situation as his words reverberated in his head about always protecting Ana.

"Uncle Howie, that's one of Ana's friends. Chill out!" Melicia replied, laughing a little as she watched Ana and her friend wrestle in the water. "You know that she basically has all guy friends."

Howie didn't reply as he watched Ana drag the young man out of the water toward them. The boy seemed eager as he grabbed Ana by the hips, hoisting her onto his shoulders without a second thought. Both were soaking wet when they approached the group as Ana rode on his shoulders. "Guys, this asshole is Pierce, one of my oldest friends. He thought he was going to be a smartass and try to throw off my surf today, but he's very sorry for scaring you, Clicky. Pierce, this is Melicia, apologize to her."

"Sorry about that, I just like messing with Ana when I have the chance," Pierce answered good-naturedly, pinching one of Ana's bare legs hanging against his chest.

"It's alright, don't worry about it," Melicia replied with a smile. "How long have you guys been friends?"

"Since she moved here with Mr. and Mrs. Lord, so that was around five years old? I was seven... She was cute even then," Pierce answered, wrapping his arms tightly around her legs.

"You were just born cute, eh, Banana?" Melicia teased.

"That's what he thinks anyway," Ana answered from atop his shoulders, trying to avoid the dark glare Howie was giving Pierce. She tapped Pierce on the shoulder. He grabbed her by the waist, gently easing her to the ground. "Pierce, this is Howie and AJ. Clicky's Uncle and her uncle's friend."

"Nice to meet you both," Pierce replied, holding out his hand out to them.

AJ was the only one to shake Pierce's hand, because Howie crossed his arms against his chest. Howie leaned back in a guarded posture, sizing up the boy. "You need to watch what you're doing. You could have ruined Ana's cast. You're lucky that it's waterproof." Howie scolded.

"I've broken bones before, Howie. They've all been waterproof and Peirce knows that," Ana shot back.

Pierce quickly cupped Ana's mouth with his hands to keep her going overboard. He offered an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, Sir. Yes, I should have been careful. I promise I will be careful next time. I just figured I'd soak Ana before she actually hit the waves to show her stuff."

Ana took a deep breath, swallowing the words she had subconsciously made. She completely understood how Melicia felt the day AJ burst into the party. She shrugged her shoulders toward Melicia, starting to speak, "Let's get you out on the waves--"

"Ana, if you're teaching Melicia how to surf, why don't you show her your stuff first? You're the shit when it comes to it," Pierce suggested, gingerly picking up Ana's favorite board.

"Because they don't want to see me surf, Pierce," Ana scolded, obviously embarrassed.

"I just wanted to teach you, not show off, Clicky," Ana answered.

"You're not going to show off. If I watch you, I can see how it's supposed to go as I learn more."

"Just go, Ana. You know you love to hit the big waves and you'll have to take little waves with Melicia till she's ready," Pierce urged. Ana chewed on her bottom lip, nodding slightly. She bent down, attaching the band to her ankle that latched her surf board to her body. She then took the board out of Pierce's hands and when jogging into the surf. She laid herself flat on the board, slowly paddling toward the deeper waters. "Mrs. Lord taught Ana to surf. That board was a gift from her mom. The girl is awesome. Never once had a seriously spill in the water. She shows up half the guys on this beach," Pierce boasted, sitting down on the sand between Melicia and Howie as AJ sat on Melicia's other side.

"She's never had a bad accident out there?" Melicia asked, remembering quite clearly that Ana said she had a spill surfing which broke her arm and gave her the bruise. "Ever?"

Pierce whistled loudly as Ana's board caught one of the largest waves. She immediately jumped up, steadying herself in the middle of the board. Once she was balanced, she swiftly twisted and turned against the wave. She even managed the courage to jump the top of the wave, soaring in the air, and landing gracefully as the wave continued to tumble. "Never. I mean, she's hit the water pretty hard, but nothing serious. Just a sore arm here and there. The girl has talent," Pierce confirmed.

"Wow. That's really cool," she replied, giving AJ a worried look.

"Wait, you're wrong there. Ana broke her arm and got that bruise on her last week from surfing," Howie corrected, obviously stepping into the conversation with confusion.

"No, she didn't. I rode the waves when she rode the waves last week. She was absolutely fantastic. She messed up her arm when her Dad came home. She was so excited that she tripped on the steps, falling forward and twisting her arm," Pierce corrected.

"She told you she fell down the stairs?" AJ clarified.

"Yeah, that's what everyone at school has heard," Pierce replied as he went back to watch Ana surf.

"But she told us that she broke her arm and got the bruise from surfing," Howie stressed

"That wouldn't be possible, Sir. That girl is too good to hurt herself like that surfing."

"Why would she lie to us?" AJ asked, deciding maybe this was the best time to suggest that Ana's father was hurting her. That way, if someone else brought it up, Ana couldn't blame Melicia or himself.

"Maybe she just didn't want to admit to you guys that she's a ditzy klutz at times," Pierce answered, shrugging as if it were nothing. He whooped loudly as Ana coasted the wave till it died. With graceful agility, Ana dove cleanly into the water, surfacing, and then starting swimming toward the shore. "You guys are new to her life, maybe she was embarrassed, Sir."

"Yeah, maybe." AJ frowned as Ana stood up and walked towards them, grinning.

"Pierce, did you see me hit the air with that bad boy?!" Ana enthused, psyched from her clean run. She unlatched herself from the board and set it down before running toward Pierce. "That was the shit of a wave!"

"Yeah, I saw it, girl! You kicked some ass!" Pierce hooted, giving her a high five.

"That was about the sweetest run I've ever had. The wave was about one of the biggest! Then those dudes down in the waves, they were skitzing. Didn't think some girl in a bikini could hit the heights!" Ana laughed as Pierce hugged her tightly. She turned to see the rest of the group looking grave and quickly gave Pierce a questioning look.

He shrugged, leaning in to whisper. "They thought you hurt yourself surfing, but when I told them you fell down the stairs, they got all quiet."

"Shit, you told them?" Ana whispered back with a groan.

"Well, I didn't know I couldn't!"

"You should have just let them believe that I hit the waves hard," Ana contradicted.

"But you never hit the waves like that. You're the best, and that was like an insult--"

"Pierce, did anyone ever tell you that you talk to much?" Ana interupted, deciding that she'd face the bridge when Melicia pushed her over it. She would think up another excuse, because that's all she knew how to do.

"Everyday," he shrugged helplessly. "I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"You're lucky that Dad likes you so much and that I think you're cute," she answered, lightly punching his arm with her cast. She winced a little at the shooting pain, but brushed it off. She finally decided to approach the deathly quiet group. "What'd you think, Clicky?"

"That was really cool, Ana. I don't think I could ever be that good, though," Melicia replied.

"It takes practice," Ana replied, noticing the bizarre looks she was recieving from the group. Ana tried to ignore it as best as possible. "I'll just start you with trying to balance yourself on the water. That takes enough energy."

"My balance ain't that good to being with," Melicia glanced over at AJ, who was giving Ana an odd look. She nudged him the ribs. "Just be happy you don't have to teach Mr. I-Got-My-Foot-Run-Over."

"You guys don't board? Florida boys that don't board?" Ana asked, glancing at AJ and Howie incrediously.

"Usually we go jet or waterskiing," Howie replied.

"I could teach you both if you like? Or at least Pierce and I can get you started while I get Clicky started?" Ana suggested. Her heart started to ache from the look of betrayal in Howie's eyes.

"AJ will try it with me. Won't you, Alex?" Melicia volunteered AJ. "Then I won't look like a total idiot by myself."

"AJ!" Howie and Melicia groaned in unison.

"Ask me what?" Ana interjected.

"How you didn't get scared going on top of the wave--"

"Melicia, don't bullshit!" AJ interjected.

"Don't swear at me and it's not your business to ask!"

"Oh..." Ana trailed, knowing it was better just to get it out in the open. She glanced toward Pierce, almost trying to read his eyes. She glanced back to the others, taking a deep breath. "I just... I didn't want you guys to know that I was a huge klutz. Tripping and breaking an arm and bruising my face... Not too slick..."

"You should have known it would have been better to tell us the truth," Howie scorned lightly. "We all can be klutzy like that sometimes."

"I didn't really think about it," Ana answered with a small shrug of her shoulders. She felt horrible for lying, but she had to protect herself. She glanced to AJ and Melicia, both looked as if they didn't believe a word she had spoken.

"Next time, tell the truth instead of making things up... okay?"

"Fine," she replied, choking down a sob forming in her throat. She really needed to stick to the same stories. The conversation could have been worse.

"Are you guys ready to head out on the surf? Or is this not a good time to ask?" Pierce asked, breaking the silence.

"Probably a bad time, Pier. Why don't we just call it quits and I catch a ride home with you?" Ana suggested, bringing her good hand up to her throat.

"You're going back to your house? Why?" Melicia blurted.

"Because it doesn't make sense to surf with everything up in the air, Clicky. I mean, I'm sorry that I shifted my words and all... But I had my reasons... I mean, damn, I just don't know," Ana answered in confusion, feeling her emotions knotting inside her stomach.

"I understand why you did, but someone over here had to open their big mouth and make you uncomfortable," Melicia shot AJ glare. "And now--"

"You understand why I did?" Ana interupted warily.

"Well, you obviously had your reasons, why woudn't I understand that?"

"Because not many would understand..." Ana replied, obviously hinting to things deeper than she was willing to admit.

"I would if you would tell me."

"It's not something to tell."

"I thought we could tell each other anything."

"Not this, Clicky."

"Why not this?"

Ana hesitated, causing Pierce to jump to her rescue. He wrapped his arms around her, bringing her close. Howie's eyes blazed with jealousy as Pierce kissed Ana's cheek. "Let's just hit the waves. It's obviously not a big deal, otherwise Ana would have told me. Trust me, the girl is fine. She just has this thing about privacy. So, why don't we teach you guys how to master waves?"

"We don't have boards," Howie stressed.

"You can borrow mine," Pierce suggested, just wanting to attention shifted off of Ana.

"Are you sure you want amateurs like us on your board?" AJ asked.

"Mine doesn't have any special meaning like Ana's does--"

"Pierce!" Ana growled.

"What?! It doesn't!"

"Why don't you just tell them my whole life history!"

"Sorry, jeez," Pierce wince as he grabbed his board. "Do either of you want to try?"

"Might as well," AJ stated, standing up. He helped Melicia off the sand and she grabbed her own board. AJ saw something in Howie's eyes, alerting AJ that Howie wanted to speak privately to Ana. "Why don't you start teaching us, Pierce? Let Ana grab a drink of water or something and meet us down there?"

"Yeah, sure," Pierce gave Ana a meaningful look before leading AJ and Melicia down to the water.

Ana sighed heavily, reaching for the cooler and pulling out a soda. She assumed Howie would follow suite and she'd be left alone to gather her wits. She never thought she would have to strain so much in a friendship or relationship. She popped off the cap, taking a long swallow, trying to forget. For once, Ana actually wanted some strong alcohol to numb away the pain.

A hand reached out and touched her good arm. A yelp esacaped her lips as she jumped, turning around to see it was Howie. "I thought you were going out to surf--"

"Not only about that, Ana. Ever since you had this accident, it seems like I can't even surprise you without seeing you jump 20 feet into the air. You seem... distant..."

"Was I distant last night?"

"When you first came over--"

"I mean last night when we were together?"

"No, not when we were making love--"

"I'm fine, see? I just get startled easily. It's not a big deal."

Howie was about to object, but just nodded. "Alright. You weren't kidding when you said you have a lot of guy friends, were you?"

"No, I wasn't. Pierce is a great guy," Ana answered, sighing with absolute relief. She glanced down to the surf to see AJ tumble off of Pierce's board. Melicia just stood in the water, obviously waiting for Ana.

"I think Mel's waiting for you," Howie replied.

"Yeah, you sure you don't want to come down and learn? I'll let you use my board?" Ana offered.

Howie shook his head, finally smiling. "No, go ahead, Baby. I'm just going to watch."

"Why won't you come out and try it?"

He was about to explain when AJ yelled and fell face first into the water. "THAT'S why."

"It's not that hard. AJ's just a ditz. I promise you won't fall. I mean, the boy is only sitting on the board. Please? For me?" Ana begged softly, leaning up against him, asured that no one could see them on the surf.

Howie sighed heavily, kissing her gently. "You know I always give in when you beg."

"My Momma gave me my board on my sweet sixteen. I always used to use her board, but she did the artwork on mine," Ana admitted for the first time, finally allowing some pieces of her wall to crumble. "It's good luck."

"You were really good out on the waves."

"Learned from the best," Ana answered, remembering how her father had pitched a fit when she and her mother traveled back from their first lesson.

"She must have been an amazing person."

"She protected me."

"I'm sure she still does, wherever she is."

"Yeah," Ana trailed, suddenly closing back beneath her walls. She leaned up and brushed a quick kiss on Howie's cheek, pulling him toward the surf. She grabbed her board and entered the water with Howie behind her. She dove, resurfacing next to Pierce. She wrapped her arms tightly around Pierce's neck, whispering to him, "Don't let Howie fall and you can come home for dinner with Dad and me tomorrow."

"You got yourself a deal," Pierce agreed as AJ got off the board and handed it to Howie.

"No more! No more! No more!" AJ choked, rubbing his red cheeks.

"You can keep trying, Ana gave me her board," Howie replied with laughter.

"Someone take the board, I'm tired of falling!"

"Get your ass back up there!" Melicia ordered.

"But Mella--"

"GO!" she ordered loudly, raising her eyebrows for emphasis. Obviously telling him if he didn't try harder that she wouldn't try hard to get away from the house tonight.

"Alright, alright," AJ muttered to himself as he climbed back onto Pierce's board.

Pierce slowly instructed both of the men how to properly stand on the board. AJ and Howie both stood at the same time, wobbling greatly. Then both began to fall at the same time, but Pierce reached out to steady Howie, letting AJ plunge yet again into the cold water. Ana rolled her eyes, facing Melicia. "You ready to get up on your board?" Ana asked, hoping whatever tensions had developed earlier had dissipated.

"Yeah, I think so. But are you going to let me fall in like Pierce is letting AJ?" Melicia asked, trying not to laugh as AJ resurfaced, cursing loudly.

"Pierce and I have a bargin," Ana answered somewhat slyly, knowing it was for her benefit more than Pierce's benefit. Her father absolutely adored Pierce, so the abuse would at least be stalled as long as Pierce hung around.

"Ah-huh," Melicia just clicked her tongue, grinning. "Let's get started."

Ana nodded, helping Melicia mount her board. She quickly instructed Melicia on hanging her legs on each side of the board while sitting to steady. "Clicky, before I teach you to stand...the air is clear with us, right?"

"Definitely. We're cool, girly."

"You'll still kiss me?"

In repsonse, Melicia leaned over and kissed Ana's nonbruised cheek. "Yup!"

"Damn, I was hoping you'd be pissed off enough to let those slide," Ana cursed with her impish smile, listening to AJ crash yet again. When he resurfaced, Howie started to tease. In a sheer ounce of childness, AJ grabbed Howie's board and jerked it, causing the older man to topple.

"Alex!" Melicia scolded as the men resurfaced. "Leave Uncle Howie alone!"

"If I fall, he's going with me," AJ threatened, scrambling onto the board yet again.

Melicia rolled her eyes. "Sometimes I wonder why I put up with him."

"Because you love him," Ana stated simply, patting the board. She quickly instructed Melicia how to stand on the board without falling. She raised her eyes in question as Melicia nodded. "You sure you remember all that?"

"I'm a klutz, but not like Dumb and Dumber over there," Melicia replied as she heard two more splashes again.

"Okay," Ana stated simply, watching the two guys yet again climb onto the boards. She stepped back, watching Melicia rise on her board. Her legs were shaky in balancing the board, but she managed to stay up as AJ and Howie rose beside her. Ana was about to hoot, but Melicia swayed a little. She reached to catch Melicia, but Melicia hit AJ, and then AJ hit Howie, sending them all crashing into the icy waves. Ana winced as the large waves splashed against her and Pierce. She turned toward her old friend, smiling uneasily, "I'm definitely including alcohol in the dinner invitation, Pier."

"Freaking sweet," Pierce laughed as the three resurfaced.

"Mella, what the Hell was that for?" AJ sputtered as he climbed back onto the board.

"If I was going down, you both were coming down with me," Melicia mimicked, causing the others to laugh as AJ scowled.