- Text Size +
Ana groaned with annoyance as someone tapped heavily on her door. She had just returned from the Emergency Room and the boys had decided to go grab some things and come back. The trip to the Emergency Room had been more painful than expected. The doctor had stitched some of the deeper wounds, irrigated, and cut away debris. The IV they had inserted into her left hand had caused a dark bruise to form. Ana had just hoped to relax for the afternoon before the concert, because she had lacked several hours of sleep until her father left that morning. Yet, someone insisted on bothering her. She opened the door to find Howie standing at her doorstep with weary eyes, gazing upon her natural beauty. Ana glanced down when she noticed the glimmer in his eyes, not seeing why he would think such things at a time like this. She was wear a pair of Pierce's loose Adidas shorts and a baggy Adidas t-shirt. "What do you want, Mr. Dorough?" Ana asked bluntly.

"I thought we should talk about what was said yesterday, Ana." Howie winced when she called him 'Mr. Dorough'. He knew he really screwed everything up between them.

"I think you made it quite clear before. I don't think we have anything left to discuss. So, why don't you let me get back to my immature life? In fact, I'm planning on having a few good romps today with my immature boys. You know, since I'm incapable of knowing what real love is."

"Will you just hear me out? I know I said some things I shouldn't have when I caught Mella and AJ. But you have to understand how much of a shock that was. I reacted the wrong way and I not only hurt my niece and best friend, but I hurt you. I care about you so much. I don't even know if you believe me, but--"

"You're right, I don't believe you," Ana stated flatly, leaning her side against the frame of her front door. The pain was starting to increase in her back from standing so long, but Howie refused to move.

"Well, if you did feel anything for me at all, you would believe me."

"I felt a lot for you. Hell, I gave the one thing that made the most sense in my life - my virginity. If that isn't called feeling then I don't know what is, Mr. Dorough."

"Will you PLEASE stop calling me Mr. Dorough! My name is HOWIE. God, Ana, I love you more than my own life! I made a mistake and I'm trying to apologize for it. I shouldn't have freaked out like I did nor should I have said the thing I said."

Ana bit down on her bottom lip, watching his eyes water with frustration. She knew from earlier that Howie had no success conversing with Melicia. Ana wanted to slam the door in his face for being so ridiculous, but hesitated. Her heart continued to pull her along by a silver leash of trust. She sighed heavily. "What are you going to do about 'the thing' you said, Howie?"

"Make it up to both of you in any way that I can. I've been trying to talk to Mella, but she won't listen to me. I really am sorry about how I acted and the words I said. Neither of you are immature and do know what love is."

"What about AJ?"

Howie sighed. "And I need to talk to AJ calmly and rationally about the whole situation."

"He told me that you always told him that you have to follow love no matter where it blossoms."

"I know I said that, but I didn't expect it to be with my baby niece, Ana. It was a huge shock for me."

"You need to tell them that, not me."

"But I don't want you hating me."

"Who said I hated you?"

"Well, you sure aren't acting the nicest way with me."

"I've had a shitty day," she stated honestly, running her fingers through her curls.

School that rough?" Howie asked, not really knowing what to say.

"I ditched school for the Emergency Room."

Howie's eye grew wide with concern. "Emergency Room? Are you okay? What happened?"

Ana groaned inwardly, realizing that she definitely had to watch her blunt reactions to questions. Yet, something about Howie's eyes made her want to confide in him. Tell him that she was in trouble. Or that she at least needed some kind of help. She took a deep breath, showing Howie her bruised left hand. "The coral attack was rougher than I expected... I ended up getting a severe infection. The doctor ended up giving me an IV antibiotic, debrided the wounds, and stitched a few. Just so I can sing at the stupid show tonight."

Howie winced openly as he took her hand. "I'm sorry, Baby."

"If it wasn't for Pierce, Amos, Kieran, and Riley, I would have been admitted for a few days..." Ana trailed, knowing that the doctors wanted to keep an eye on the infection and look into why she had been taking so many trips to the Emergency Room.

"Why didn't you do what the doctor wanted? If the infection was so bad--"

"It wasn't just the infection. They have a hard time believing that an eighteen year old girl who's going to medical school is as wreckless as I am. They just wanted to pump me full of antibiotics for the night, continue to clean the wounds, and ask me questions that aren't worth answering. So, I just told them that I'd have someone keep me company tonight and I'd come back in for a checkup in the morning. That's why Pierce, Amos, Kieran, and Riley are taking me to the concert and then spending the night."

"Oh, I see," Howie replied, biting his lip. "So you are still going to perform tonight?"

"I have to, there's no way I can back out on Clicky. Why?"

"No reason, I was just wondering--"

"Wondering what?"

Howie blanked for a moment on what to say. Before he knew it, he said, "I was wondering if we were still together."

"Still together?" she repeated, finding herself somewhat confused. The conversation had shifted dramatically. She almost blanked in a error of blondeness, trying to figure out why going to the performance had anything to do with still being together. "I don't know, are we?"

"I would like us to be."

"You do?"

"Of course I do."

"But, Clicky--"

"I'm going to have to talk to her anyway. She needs to know about us."

"She's going to kill me," Ana whispered, stepping away.

"No, she won't. I'll be understanding about her and AJ. She'll have to be understanding about us. I love you, Ana. I don't want to be kept away from you."

"You're going to be understanding about her and AJ?"

"Well, I'll have to be. Sarah would want that, epsecially since they love each other."

"Clicky always said her mother was pretty terrific and that you seemed to take after her. I think you're doing the right thing, even if it scares you," Ana encouraged softly, bringing her hands behind her back to support her aches.

He sighed heavily. "I know. I'm nothing like her mom, though. I feel like a failure for the way I reacted."

"You're trying your best. Everyone makes mistakes and Clicky should understand that much. She loves you a lot, regardless of what you think, Howie. She's going to cool down, just like you cooled down. Parenting isn't easy and trust me, you're one of the best at this moment."

"I still need to work on it..."

"No one's perfect," she answered, hesitating for a moment before gently easing her painful arms against his shoulders.

"Perfection is something my family needs sometimes," Howie sighed, carefully placing his hands on her hips. He leaned in and kissed her. "I'm sorry for what I said, Ana."

"D--Don't squeeze too hard," she whined miserably, feeling the pressure of Howie's hands embed into one of the largest welts that she had refused to show the doctors.

"Sorry," he whispered.

"Don't worry about it... I got them for staying out too-- Don't worry about it, okay? And you're forgiven for what you said. It's going to be okay," she promised, leaning in to press a small kiss on his forehead.

"I know it's going to be okay. Especially with you by my side," he replied, lifting her chin up so their eyes locked. He kissed her again, but it lasted for a long time.

Ana smiled warmly as she allowed her good hand to gently massage Howie's shoulder as their kiss intensified. Her body burned with radiating pleasure until she heard the sharp slam of a car door. Ana away from Howie in time to see the four boys running from her Hummer with various bags of food and clothing. "Surf! We got some mad food supplies, plus Pierce picked up some special ice packs that we can apply to your back before we hear your vocals. So, c'mon, get your ass inside, and let us take care of you!" Riley ordered as they walked up to the couple.

"Alright, Riley, I'll be right in," she laughed.

The boys greeted Howie and kissed Ana's cheek as they clambored inside the house. Howie looked back at her with a smile. "Those are good friends."

"Yeah and they're pretty funny when they get drunk," Ana answered, listening to Pierce and Kieran argue inside about preparing the ice packs. She rolled her eyes, listening to Amos immediately jump into the argument about who would tend to Ana's wounds first.

"So I'll see you tonight at the concert?" Howie asked, tucking a stray piece of Ana's blonde curls behind her ear.

"You're there for Clicky, not me," Ana chided. "You should definitely get her flowers for afterwards."
"I'm there for both my girls and you're both getting flowers," Howie corrected.
"I don't want flowers," Ana objected, fear immediately catching her heart. There would be no way to explain the flowers to her father.

"Can't I get you something?"

"I don't want anything from you."

Howie cocked his head in confusion. "You don't want anything from me ever?"

"It's not that, Howie. I just don't want you spending money on me, you know? You've got better things to do with it. As long as I know you love me, I'll be happy," Ana contradicted, knowing that she would be safer, too. If her father would find any token, she would have to make some ridiculous story of Pierce being her boyfriend, and it would be more complicated than she wanted. Especially if her father found out.

"Oh, alright. I'm just used to spoiling the people I love," he replied, leaning down to kiss her again. All of a sudden they heard a gasp from behind.

The couple turned to face Melicia's shocked form. Her mind seemed to slowly envelop the situation as her dark sapphire eyes burned with hate. Howie had been so ruthless with AJ, yet there he stood making out with her best friend. Melicia couldn't control her reaction to the situation as she stepped forward, shoving Ana as hard she could muster. Ana tumbled backward and slammed her back on the floor, slamming her already damaged back onto the hard marble floor. Howie was about to protest, but Melicia stepped over Ana, glaring down at her. "You're such a bitch, you know that? I can't believe all this time... You were with my uncle! Now I'm starting to see things clearly. You just wanted to be my friend to get to my uncle. Then you decided to get me caught with AJ to make your love life better? Well fuck you! I can't believe you... YOU HAVE ALL THOSE GUYS IN THERE THAT WOULD GLADLY FUCK YOUR BONES! WHY MY UNCLE?! AJ was right the first time, your mother probably is turning in her grave! She has to be ashamed of you! You deserve what your dad does to you! I'm glad he beats you and tortures you! FRANKLY, I HOPE HE KILLS YOU!!!"

"C-C-Clicky," Ana stammered in shock, hearing the guys in her home come running to her defense. She slowly pulled herself off the floor, her back stinging. She saw large black spots float around her vision as nausea swept in.

"DON'T EVEN TRY LYING OUT OF THIS ONE! You may have been covering for me and AJ, but all this time you've been with my fucking UNCLE! I FUCKING HATE YOU AND I SURE AS HELL AREN'T SINGING WITH YOU TONIGHT!"

"Melicia, that's ENOUGH!" Howie yelled, yanking Melicia away from Ana.

"DON'T YOU FUCKING TALK TO ME EITHER! THIS ENTIRE TIME YOU'VE BEEN WITH HER?! YOU TELL ME NOT TO HAVE SEX AND YOU GO AND BANG THE NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR'S DAUGHTER!? I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR YOU! MOMMY WOULD BE SO UPSET WITH YOU! AND IT'S NOT ENOUGH! NOTHING WILL BE ENOUGH TILL HER FATHER FUCKING BURIES HER SIX FEET UNDER WHERE SHE BELONGS!" Melicia raved as her voice started to crack from the emotion. She attempted to jump back into the home, but Pierce immediately stood in front.

"Melicia Renee, that is ENOUGH!" Howie's voice thundered in her ear. "Don't you dare try anything or I will pin you to the ground. Don't think I won't do it."

"I think it's time you two left, now," Pierce growled, hearing thick sobs catch in Ana's throat as Kieran carefully cradled her in his arms.

"I agree," Howie replied as he started to drag Melicia back to their house.

"I HOPE HE KILLS YOU, ANA! I HOPE HE FUCKING TEARS YOU TO PIECES! WORSE THAN HE'S DONE TO YOU BEFORE! BREAKS ALL YOUR BONES AND MAKES YOU BLEED OUT! DAMNIT! I'M NOT DONE WITH YOU, YOU FUCKING WHORE!" Melicia ranted, still struggling in Howie's arms as he tried to move her away.

"I'm going to puke," Ana blurted, immediately rushing back the hallway.

"MELICIA!" Howie shouted, making her face him. He shook her hard, making her teeth click together hard.

"KNOCK IT OFF! DON'T TAKE IT OUT ON HER, TAKE IT OUT ON ME!"

"GET THE HELL OFF ME!" Melicia shrieked as the door to Ana's home slammed sharply. She pushed Howie away, causing him to stumble back in surprise. "YOU WERE FUCKING MY BEST FRIEND! SHE'S YOUNGER THAN I AM! HOW COULD YOU EVEN THINK TO DO THAT?! YOU'RE SUCH A FUCKING HIPOCRIT!"

"YOU'RE RIGHT, I AM A HYPOCRITE! BUT DON'T YOU EVER WISH DEATH ON SOMEONE! YOUR MOTHER TAUGHT YOU BETTER THAN THAT!"

"AND YOU OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T LEARN ANYTHING FROM HER!"

Howie's eyes narrowed and before he knew it, his hand slapped her across the face.

Melicia immediately stepped back, bringing her hands to shield her stinging cheek. Tears streaked down her face with pain and resentment. "I hate you so much it's unbelievable," she hissed, turning away from him.

"Hate me if you want, but don't hate Ana. Would you want someone wishing death on you like that? Huh?! Tell me."

"I don't care, because I hope she fucking rots," Melicia stated, walking away from him.

"Don't you walk from me!" Howie ran after her and grabbed her arm. She whipped around and punched him in the jaw.

"YOU CAN FUCKING ROT WITH ANA, BECAUSE I'M NOT COMING BACK!"

Howie fell back, holding his jaw in agony. He rolled onto his stomach, fighting the urge to scream. Melicia looked surprised at her sudden force, but didn't stop to question it. She quickly dashed down the road, running as fast as her legs could carry her. Melicia's chest heaved with agony as she listened to her uncle call her name, but she wouldn't come back. She refused.