- Text Size +
Howie moaned in utter agony as he splashed cold water against his face, bracing himself against the counter in his private bathroom. He glanced upward into the mirror to see a fresh bruise forming against the side of his jaw. He hadn't expected Melicia to react so violently. He felt more tears form in his eyes as he thought about the previous events. Melicia's anger. Ana's terror. AJ's betrayal. Things never seemed to work smoothly in his life. "Damnit, I need ice," Howie hissed, running his fingers against the darknening bruise.

I HOPE YOU FUCKING ROT WITH ANA! His niece's voice echoed through his mind as he walked downstairs to get some ice out of the fridge.

"I should have known better than to start something with Ana," Howie muttered with defeat, slumping down on a kitchen chair. He pressed the ice against his jaw, sighing as the burning sensation was numbed. He didn't know where to start as all the emotions tumbled inside his throbbing head.

I hate you so much it's unbelievable. That was the one thing that Melicia said which made Howie's eyes tear up again. He knew that if his sister was still alive, she would be disappointed in him as well. And he didn't even want to think about what the guys would think. Sarah, I'm so sorry I screwed all this up. I just don't know what to do anymore... please help me. Please.

The silence made Howie's heart ache worse. He leaned against the table, burying his face in his hands, letting the ice drop. Fresh sobs choked at his throat as tears continued to fall. He never imagined Melicia being so upset with him. She had always teased him, saying that he was her favorite uncle, but now she was crying somewhere. Howie's throat constricted for a brief moment, thinking about her flee. He had no choice but to believe that she would show up for the concert.

Looking up at the clock, he realized that him and the fellas were going to meet at Kevin's and then head to the school within 15 minutes.

"How am I going to even be able to watch Ana sing?" Howie moaned, swallowing a sob.
He sat there for a moment, just wallowing in depression before standing up. "I just got to go there and watch both of them sing..."

Howie trudged up the steps, begruding himself further, "That's if it doesn't turn into a Jerry Springer Brawl when Melicia tries to kill Ana."

*~*~*

"Shit, Ana, she ripped out some of your stitches! You're bleeding like there's no tomorrow!" Pierce complained as he lifted up the back of Ana's lavender tank top to apply yet another dressing. The choir had already hussled out to sing their two pieces, so Ana had time to prepare. She sat back stage with Pierce, while Amos, Riley, and Kieran found a row of seats for them at the rest of the group. Ana winced openly as she felt Pierce peel off yet another piece of guaze and grab another.

"Do you think she's going to still come and sing?" Ana asked, feeling Pierce layer some antibiotic ointment over the opened stitches.

"If the girl comes, I'm going to wring her neck for saying what she did to you," Pierce growled.

"Pierce, I was with her uncle, I don't blame her for what she said," Ana admitted, yelping when she felt Pierce apply a strip of tape to the first opened wound.

"No matter what happens, a friend shouldn't say things like that."

"Her uncle though, Pierce. God damnit, what was I thinking?" Ana groaned, bracing her elbows on the table as Pierce peeled away yet another bloody guaze. Melicia slamming her onto the ground had ripped away most of the stitches, causing tremendous pain. "The man is like ancient compared to me. I was so freaking stupid to think... I just should have asked one of the guys to take a chance with me instead!"

"Let me ask you something, Ana," Pierce replied quietly as he applied some ointment and covered up the wound.

"Go ahead, Pier," she sighed, feeling a sob rise in her throat as the tape adhered to a bruised area.

"Did you really feel love for Mr. Dorough?"

"I'm too young to know what love means."

"Who told you that?"

"Myself when I realized I was drowning by thinking I was in love."

"But when you told him you loved him, did you mean it?"

"Yes..."

"Then you loved him. Just because you're young doesn't mean you don't understand it."

"Little late though, isn't it, Pierce?"

"You always told me you can never be too late when it comes to love, Ana."

"Well, I was pulling bullshit."

"I think you're pulling bullshit right now just by saying that," Pierce replied as he finished with the last wound.

"I'm not going to put myself between Melicia and her uncle. It's not fair nor is it right. I'm just going to let it drop, because there's no use in making him choose between a girl and his niece," Ana murmured, pulling the clip from her hair and allowing her blonde ringlets to cascade down her tender back. She slowly turned to face Pierce, glancing down at her lavender peasant top and sleek black pants. "Do I look good enough to go on stage and sing for my Momma?"

"I'm sure she's smiling right now upon you, because you look gorgeous," Pierce smiled, kissing her cheek.

"Good luck, Babe."

"Can I ask you a question, Pierce?" Ana hesitated as he helped her stand.

"Of course."

"You didn't believe her when she was talking about Dad hurting me... Did you?"

Pierce shook his head. "That didn't make any sense, because you're dad has always been really nice with you. He may not be home a lot, but he would never hurt you."

"Just wanted to make sure you guys didn't think he would do that, you know?" Ana stated with somewhat of a nervous laugh.

"We would never think that," Pierce replied as he heard the choir start singing. "You better get going."

"Guess she really isn't coming..." Ana sighed, running her good fingers through her curls. She glanced to Pierce, who gave her an encouraging smile. She couldn't ask for a better friend than the ones that would sit in the first row, cheering loudly for her. "Make sure you have my flowers ready, okay?"

"Got it, boss."

"You're a real sweetheart, you know?"

"So are you, Ana. Now get going, young lady."

"Got it! Jezz!" Ana laughed softly as Mrs. Clark ushered her toward the stage as the choir hurried off. Carefully, Ana stepped toward the center of the stage where the single mic now stood. She felt her heart hammer against her chest as she took her spot. She glanced out into the crowd, almost immediately locking eyes with Howie in the middle. She bit down hard on her bottom lip, immediately glancing toward the first row where all her guys began to scream, hoot, and cheer wildly. "I'd like to welcome you all here tonight. The choir has done a wonderful job and I hope you enjoyed them. Now, Mrs. Clark has asked me to do a dedication to those lost in September Eleventh... I was going to have someone assist, but something has come up to prevent her from making it. Her mother was also lost during the attack and she had shared with me numerous times how wonderful her mother had been. So, I would like to dedicate this song to that young woman, her angelic mother, and her family. And, you all know that my mother was on one of the planes...and I know she's in Heaven watching her little girl...so I really want to dedicate this to my mother." Everyone applauded as the music for the song started to play in the background.

Carefully, Ana listened as the music softly carried, waiting for her intro. She immediately focsed her eyes toward the front row as the boys hooted wildly. She offered a small wave to them as her melodious voice carried throughout the auditorium. The crowd seemed to be awed as Ana's voice rose to great strength and emotion with beautiful harmonies as she made a point to focus on each part of the crowd:

American Girls and American Guys
We’ll always stand up and salute
We’ll always recognize
When we see Old Glory Flying
There’s a lot of men dead
So we can sleep in peace at night
When we lay down our head

My daddy served in the army
Where he lost his right eye
But he flew a flag out in our yard
Until the day that he died
He wanted my mother, my brother, my sister and me
To grow up and live happy
In the land of the free.

Now this nation that I love
Has fallen under attack
A mighty sucker punch came flyin’ in
From somewhere in the back
Soon as we could see clearly
Through our big black eye
Man, we lit up your world
Like the 4th of July

Hey Uncle Sam
Put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty
Started shakin’ her fist
And the eagle will fly
Man, it’s gonna be hell
When you hear Mother Freedom
Start ringin’ her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you Courtesy of the Red White and Blue

Justice will be served
And the battle will rage
This big dog will fight
When you rattle his cage
And you’ll be sorry that you messed with
The U.S. of A.
`Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass
It`s the American way

Hey Uncle Sam
Put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty
Started shakin’ her fist
And the eagle will fly
Man, it’s gonna be hell
When you hear Mother Freedom
Start ringin’ her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you Courtesy of the Red White and Blue


She finished the last note with a cresendo, looking up towards the Heavens, singing to her mother. Everyone started to applaud, giving her a standing ovation. The boys in the front row and the boys in the middle of the room cheered and hooted the loudest.

Ana's cheeks blushed a furious red when she realized that the song had ended and that the cheers were for her. She smiled innocently, giving a little curtsey that caused the boys in the front row to laugh. She shrugged her shoulders, walking off the stage. The adrenaline flowing through her veins was almost too much as she heard Mrs. Clark call the show offically closed. Ana hurried out to the audience, immediately greeted by her closest circle of boys: Kieran, Dominic, Pierce, Amos, and Riley. "Did I do okay?" she asked timidly.

"You kicked ass, Sweetheart!" Riley enthused, kissing her cheek.

"Thanks for cheering the loudest for me. That meant a lot!" she laughed, watching all the groups of parents and teenagers slowly filing out while throwing congratulations toward her. She didn't seem to notice as she made a point to kiss each boys' cheek.

"You were definitely better solo than with what's her name," Pierce commented as he handed her the flowers.

"Melicia..." Ana murmured, her heart immediately sinking with guilt. She gazed down at the beautiful boquet of red roses. She delivered another kiss to Pierce's cheek, glancing backward to see Howie, his friends, and his family gathered in a small circle. She glanced further back to see AJ hanging out at the enterance. "Pier... I have to go do something... Why don't you guys go back to my house and hang out? I don't know what time I'm getting back, but make sure all the guys are out by eight in the morning, because Dad will be back at eight. You stay there though if I'm not back and stall for me, okay? Tell Dad that you're planning on asking me to marry you or something to keep his mind occupied, okay?"

"I'll think I'll use the marrying bit," Pierce grinned as the rest of the boys nodded. "We got you covered, Ana."

"Did I ever tell you how much I love you guys?!" she enthused, kissing them all once more.

"Only a billion times," Kieran teased. "Go and do what you need to do."

Ana beamed another smile, handing Pierce back the roses. She carefully weaved through the crowd, hesitating a moment when she came upon Howie. Their eyes locked for a brief moment, causing Ana's heart to sink faster than before. She immediately broke their gaze, walking further down to where AJ was leaning against the wall. "AJ?" she called.

"Hey," he replied softly.

"Um... Have you seen Clicky lately?" Ana asked, wondering how much of the story she would need to explain.

"I haven't seen her since I dropped her off back at home. I heard what happened... I'm sorry she said those things, it was cruel of her--"

"She called you then?"

AJ shook his head, biting his lip. "I was hoping she would come to the concert anyways, but now that she didn't show up... I'm getting worried."

"How did you find out about what happened?"

"We all met at Kevin's and Howie explained the whole thing."

"They all have to hate me by now," Ana groaned, running her fingers through her curls.

"Actually, they're not liking Melicia at the moment."

"She didn't mean what she said... She was just trying to hurt me as bad as she was hurting... The Dad comments were completely fictious, but if anything, it's my fault to begin with... I should have never thought about blurring the lines... But that's not really the point at the moment... The point is that she's not here, she hasn't called you, and I definitely need to go find her..."

"But you wouldn't even know where to begin. Hell, I'm her boyfriend and I wouldn't know."

"It doesn't really matter, AJ, because I'm finding her no matter what. I've done my own share of running, I think I know where to at least start."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"No, that's alright. I'm fine on my own, but if you gave me your cell number, I could call you if I find her?"

"Yeah, sure," he rambled off his number as she programmed it on her phone. "You be careful, okay?"

"It's too late to be careful."

"Well... good luck, then. And call me when you find her."

Kevin walked over to where AJ stood when he noticed Ana walking away from him. Kevin raised his eyebrows in confusion, merely going over because Howie seemed to be going crazy at the fact that Ana had said nothing to him. "Where's Ana going?" Kevin asked curiously.

AJ sighed heavily as he looked at the older man. "She's going to find Mella. Kev, if anything has happened to her, I--"

"I know, J. Just take it easy. Everyone's heading back to Howie's house for a bit... Do you want to come?"

AJ bit his lip. "You mean I would be allowed in his house?"

"Howie feels stupid for overreacting. He just told his mom about you and Melicia and they're happy about it... He just doesn't know how to go about talking to you since Melicia acted so violently toward him... You know? You're still his best friend, J."

"I know... and he's still my best friend," AJ sighed again. "Alright, I'll meet y'all over at his house."

*~*~*

"I should have taken a car," Melicia mumbled angrily, wrapping her arms around her chest as she walked deeper into the downtown portion of Orlando. Tonight the sky was starless and moonless, the only light beaming down on Melicia was the faint flicker of city street lights. She had walked for hours, thinking about everything that had occured within the several days. She didn't know why God was punishing her so. Mommy... why are you letting God do this to me? First I get AJ taken away from me by your brother, and now I catch him with my supposed best friend. This isn't fair! Her mind ranted on and on, not noticing someone was following her.

She was about to curse aloud, but something slid around her mouth, clamping it tight. Melicia started to struggle as she was pulled into the beginning of an alleyway. She prepared to scream, but a gleaming pistol caught her attention. The bulky man's face was shielded by the shadows as he pushed the gun into her shoulder. "This is going to be really easy, Missy. Just give me your money and I'll walk away," he ordered gruffly.

"I don't have any money, leave me alone!" she shouted, knowing it would get people's attention. That was something her mom taught her when they lived in New York.

"It's midnight, Sweetie. Yelling isn't going to get you anywhere," the man laughed, digging the pistol deeper into her collar bone. "Fork over the money."

"Fuck you, asshole," she hissed, driving her knee into his stomach.

The man stumbled back a few steps in surprise as Melicia took the chance to dash off, but he grabbed a thick portion of her dark curls, yanking her backward. Melicia yelped in surprise as she was thrown into the brick wall yet again. The man forcefully brought his hand across her cheek, causing a pool of blood to form in her mouth from the blow. "STOP DICKING ME OVER!"

"It's hard to do that if you don't have one!" she replied, spitting out the blood.

"Give me your fucking money now or you're going to regret those words, SWEETHEART."

"I don't have any money, I told you that. And DON'T call me sweetheart, you BASTARD."

Without hesitation the man swung a heavy fist into her chest, causing her to crumple to the ground. He delivered several sharp kicks to the sides of her chest. Melicia yelped as she felt at least a few ribs crush under the weight of his heavy boot. Melicia screamed in pure agony as the hot flashes of pain zoomed down her spine as her body screamed for help. He didn't seem to care about her screaming as he allowed the butt of his gun to sink into various parts of her flesh while he reached into her back pocket, pulling out her wallet. He smiled gleefully, pushing her wallet into his pocket, and pulling her back up against the wall. "No money, huh?" he snarled.

"Nothing that's for you. If you take my money, I'll fucking kill you," she said between gasps, spitting in his face.

"Kill me? That's really cute," he laughed, patting his pocket that contained her wallet.

"Give me my wallet back!"

"Hmm....no...."

Melicia growled, raising her fist and punching him in the jaw. "GIVE IT BACK!"

"You...little bitch!" he roared, wiping the blood off with the cuff of his jacket. The man recoiled in shock, glaring toward Melicia with obvious spite. Unable to control his temper, he slammed her back hard against the wall and pressed the gun deep into the fleshy connection between her chest and shoulder, pressing the trigger.