- Text Size +
Ana was sitting in the waiting room, fiddling with the torn hem of her tank top when a voice echoed through the hallway. "Ana!" looking up, she saw it was the guys plus Melicia's family.

Ana groaned openly, slumping further down on her seat. She hadn't really planned on confronting them. Her mind had strategically planned waiting for them to arrive and then quickly slip away without them noticing, but it wasn't going the way she planned. She shook her head in disbelief, glancing at her watch. It was seven in the morning and her father would be reeling at the moment. She took a deep breath, trying to pretend that she hadn't heard while becoming invisable.

AJ came running up to the younger woman, wondering why she didn't reply. "Ana?"

"Hey, AJ," she murmured quietly, keeping her gaze focused on the tiles of the floor.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's fine. She was just wheeled into surgery an hour ago to repair her shoulder. She was shot in the shoulder and when I hoisted her up I saw she had blood on the back of her shirt, too, so the bullet came out. So, they'll just repair any tears in the muscles, ligaments, and cauterize bleeding. She lost a bit of blood, so they'll probably get her a transfusion, too. Her ribs were obviously broken, but they can't do anything about those, because they'll heal on their own. She has bumps and bruises, but they'll fade. So, she'll be okay," Ana rambled off like a true professional, still glancing at the floor. Her heart slammed in her ribcage, praying that Howie didn't talk to her.

"How do you know all that?" AJ asked in amazement, not realizing that Ana was so intelligent. When she was around her friends, she acted like a normal teenager with ideas of partying and having fun. Yet, there she sat, almost on the same level as a doctor.

"I'm an EMT and I'm going to medical school at Duke. Dad wanted me to be ahead of the game before Fall Semester," Ana whispered, hearing the rest of the footsteps of people surrounding her.

"I'm glad you found her before someone else did that could hurt her any worse," AJ sat down next to her. "Are you alright?"

"You shouldn't worry about me, AJ. Melicia's the one in surgery. I'm perfectly fine, I just got to get going," Ana rambled, standing up only to be confronted by an older woman and older man. She quickly bit down the urge to swear as she gazed into their worried eyes. "Your Melicia's grandparents?" Ana guessed softly.

"Yes. I'm Hoke, and this is Paula. AJ told us what you did for our granddaughter, and we want to thank you," Hoke replied.

"It's not a big deal, but I'm glad to meet you. Melicia always had great things to say about both of you... I'm...uh...Anastacia by the way," Ana answered shyly, offering her bruised hand toward Paula and Hoke.

Hoke shook her hand with a soft smile. When Pauls took her hand, she gently pulled Ana in for a hug. Ana resisted the urge to yelp loudly as pain ripped down her back. The hours had finally taken a toll on her body and she knew she was in trouble as soon as she returned home. Trying to forget her fears about returning home, Ana hugged the smaller woman back. When she pulled away, Paula still held a sweet smile on her face. Ana had never been close to her grandparents, because her mother's parents were deceased and her father's parents were cold. She silently told herself that Melicia was quite lucky to have all the family support. "Melicia's going to be okay, Mrs. Dorough," Ana comforted.

"Please, call me Paula, dear. From the way Melicia has talked about you, it seems like you are both close friends."

"I'd be more comfortable calling you Mrs. Dorough for the time being and Melicia is definitely one of my closest friends," Ana assured, silently adding to herself that Melicia had been close to her till Howie weasled in.

Paula nodded with understanding. "That's alright, Anastacia... do you go by that?"

"Usually Ana, but my father and mother always taught me to introduce myself with my whole name or something," Ana stated with a small laugh, running her fingers through her tangled curls.

"I'll call you Ana, then. You seem more comfortable with that," Paula smiled, intrigued with the young woman.

"Definitely," Ana stated with a geniuine smile. "I'd really love to stay with you, but I think this is more of a family matter. I'm just satisfied that Melicia is safe and sound in the hospital. I'll do my best to visit later... It was great to meet you both, Mr. and Mrs. Dorough."

"Likewise, Ana," they replied with kind smiles, shaking her hand again.

Ana smiled again, turning away, but immediately bumped into Kevin, Brian, Nick, and Howie. Her cheeks turned a furious crimson as Paula sat down beside AJ rubbing his back gently and Hoke stood to speak with the rest of his children. "I...I guess I'm playing ping pong tonight and bumping into everyone?" she guessed offhandedly.

Ana smiled again, turning away, but immediately bumped into Kevin, Brian, Nick, and Howie. Her cheeks turned a furious crimson as Paula sat down beside AJ rubbing his back gently and Hoke stood to speak with the rest of his children. "I...I guess I'm playing ping pong tonight and bumping into everyone?" she guessed offhandedly.

"Listen, Ana... we heard about what Melicia said to you, and we're really sorry," Kevin replied softly. "We all taught her better than to act like that, especially with friends--"

"It's not a big deal. She was just angry. I shouldn't have overstepped boundries like that and I know better now," Ana answered, trying to end the entire conversation, glancing toward her watch - 7:30am.

"Are you sure--"

"I'm positive. It was my mistake," Ana stated, glancing to Howie for a moment. His eyes clouded with pain as he realized that she meant their whole relationship was a mistake. He swallowed hard and looked back at her.

Ana reverted her eyes back to the other three when Howie attempted to speak. She had done her part. Melicia was safe. She needed to break away now. "Melicia's going to be okay, just like I told AJ. She'll have some steps to climb, but she'll bounce back. I really think this is a family issue now and I need to go. Just... Tell Melicia I love her and I'll try to stop by later?"

"Of course we'll tell her," Kevin replied as he kissed her cheek, Brian and Nick doing the same. Howie stood there for a moment and then leaned in and kissed her forehead.

"I'm sorry," she whispered to him, feeling her heart crumple.

"So am I. We'll talk later, okay?" he replied quietly, taking her hand and kissing it.

"I really have to go," Ana repeated, pulling her hand away from his lips. She didn't want to talk later, because there was nothing to talk about. She wouldn't blur the lines again. She refused to have Melicia hurt again.

"Can't you stay with us?" Howie pleaded softly.

"No, I really--"

"Dorough Family?" a male voice called from the OR hallway, walking toward the waiting room. Immediately, everyone lurched toward the man, taking their gaze off Ana. She sighed with relief, slipping in between Nick and Kevin, running toward the enterance with a newly lit fire, she had to get home before her father killed her.

"How is she?" Howie asked as his mother placed her hand on his shoulder.

"She's going to be just fine thanks to Anastacia Lord's quick actions," the doctor answered with a sharp smile, glancing around the bunch to locate Ana. He frowned slightly when he couldn't find her, glancing back at his notes. "Anastacia doesn't seem to be around though... You know, her mother worked in the OR of this hospital. Brilliant woman... Anastacia is likely to follow in her footsteps and we'd be proud to have her work beside us. You should really thank her for retrieving and caring for Melicia."

"We were thanking her when we got here, but she wouldn't go into detail about what happened. Could you fill us in, please?"

"Melicia was attacked as I'm sure you all know. She was shot in her left shoulder, but thankfully the bullet entered and exited her body. We used arthroscopy to go in and repair some of the torn muscle and ligaments, along with stopping all the bleeding. She'll have three puncture wounds with stitches along the joint, along with the initial bullet wound. She'll have to go through some physical therapy, but I believe she will regain full use of her shoulder. Secondly, she broke two ribs, but we can't do anything about them, so they'll heal on their own. She has a mild concussion, but that will subside. And the all knowing bumps and bruises. She's a very lucky girl."

Howie's eyes grew wide as he realized that Ana had truly saved Melicia's life, even after all the cruel words had been thrown at her. "I-um-uh-wow... when are we able to see her?"

"She's being wheeled from the PACU now and being set up in her own room. She'll be a little groggy, but you can see her," the doctor assured with a smile.

"We'd like to talk to our granddaughter alone," Hoke finally announced as the doctor walked away to tend to other issues. He helped his wife up from the chair, instantly wrapping his arms around her. "We're going to tell her we love her and that we're glad she's safe. Then she's going to get the longest lecture of her young adult life."

"And it's going to take awhile, I've had plenty of those when I was younger," John commented with a weary smile. His niece was just like him in a lot of ways when it came to getting in trouble.

"What do you mean when you were younger? I still recall you getting quite a few in this day and age," Pollyanna teased lightly.

"I do not--"

"Children, stop arguing," Paula chided with a smile. "Just wait here until we get back."

Everyone nodded in agreement, sitting themselves in the waiting room. AJ was surprised to find Howie by his side. He shrunk a little, leaning toward Brian, who sat on his other side. Howie was about to speak when Pollyanna glanced to her youngest sibling with question. "The girl that Mom and Pop were talking to... Anastacia? Was that the one that started this mess?" Pollyanna asked.

"No, I'M the one who started the mess," Howie replied, defending Ana. "If I hadn't started the whole relationship, Mella wouldn't be here..."

"No, Howie, you misunderstood me," Pollyanna answered in surprise, crouching down beside him. "I'm not blaming Anastacia and you shouldn't blame yourself for what happened. Melicia shouldn't have reacted like that in any way, shape, or form. Even if she didn't like what was happening, it was your choice to follow your heart. Anastacia's eighteen and she seems pretty level-headed, frankly, none of us can disagree on why you went for her."

"But I shouldn't have done what I did right outside where Mella could have seen us--"

"You kissed the girl, Howie. You've kissed plenty of girls. It's not your fault," Angie confirmed, leaning to brush a kiss on Howie's forehead. "Melicia is just an over-emotional teenager, much like our John. She'll grow up and she'll forgive you."

"I'm not a teenager," John groaned.

"You're missing the point, brother," Pollyanna laughed. "Howie, you can't let Melicia run your life. She's the niece and you're the legal guardian. If anything, you might have been rash about AJ and her. So, we're going to leave you to your thoughts and leave you to AJ. We're going to the caf for some breakfast. Okay?"

"Okay, okay. Bring me back an apple?" Howie replied as his siblings and the guys stood up.

"We'll bring you both back something better than an apple," John volunteered.

*~*~*

"Howie, I'm really sorry about what happened. I should have been honest with you right from the get-go, but Mella was so scared about what you'd think. She was so lonely after Sarah... She just wanted to be loved and I wanted to be the one that loved her. I'm still your best friend, D. I never wanted to do anything that would jeprodize our friendship, but I love Melicia. I love her a lot. There's nothing you can do to change that," AJ blurted quickly when Howie turned to him.

Howie held his hand up to silence his friend. "I know there's nothing I can do to change that. And I understand why you two are together anyways, because you're perfect for one another. I'm sorry for over-reacting the way I did, it was just a shock to see my little niece in that position with my best friend--"

"I understand completely, Howie. I'm just really sorry that it turned out this way. I hope you can forgive me?"

"Of course. Do you forgive me for almost ripping your shirt off and killing you?"

"Am I allowed to still date Melicia?"

"You don't even have to ask... just take care of her, okay?"

"I really love her, Howie."

"I know you do, and I could see she loves you a lot."

"I won't ever hurt her."

"You better not, or I'll come after your invisible ass," Howie replied with a smile as he held out his arms for a brotherly hug.

"Still my best friend?" AJ asked, giving him a tight hug.

"Always and forever, man."

"How... How are you doing though, man?"

"Honestly? I feel like a train wreck."

"Melicia's going to be okay."

"I know she is... and I know Sarah did protect her, because she could have died. But then the whole Ana relationship. I just... I just don't want it to end, you know? I really care about her."

"How do you know it's going to end?"

"Because of the look Ana gave me before she slipped out of here."

"I still can't believe that you and Ana..."

"I know, I shouldn't have snuck around. But honestly, J, I was going to tell her last night about Ana and I. She just beat us to it."

"You love Ana?"

"With all my heart, man."

"Damn," AJ whistled in surprise.

"I know, talk about being a hypocrite after I freaked on you and Mella, huh?"

"Yeah, not to mention that Ana's younger than Mella and you're older than me--"

"Don't even finish that sentence, McLean," Howie groaned.

"So, you're sure it's over between you and Ana?"

"I know she doesn't want to hurt Mella anymore. And catching us with what they were doing really hurt her. So, I guess we are..."

"I'm...uh...sorry, D?"

Howie shook his head. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

"You're starting to sound like Ana."

"She does have that sort of influence on people," Howie agreed.

"I bet she was different than your other girlfriends," AJ murmured, clasping his hands in front of him. He felt awful that it took such tragic circumstances for him to have Howie's approval over Melicia.

"She's different than anyone I've ever met. I just wish I hadn't blown it like I did."

"Maybe when she comes to visit Mella, you can talk to her?"

"I'm hoping I can. Right now I need to talk to Mella--"

"Your parents are already starting the lecture, D."

"No, not a lecture from me," Howie rolled his eyes. "That girl will never do anything wrong again after Mom and Pop are done with her. I need to apologize."

"That's a good start."

"Do you think she'll forgive me?"

"Yeah, as long as you forgive her for that bruise on your jaw," AJ smirked.

Howie scowled as he gently touched his jaw. "That girl can freaking punch, I'm telling you. She almost broke it."

"She learned that from Ana," AJ laughed, unable to see the serious side.

"You're really humorous early in the morning, amigo. Really, you are," Howie rolled his eyes as he nudged AJ in the shoulder.

"That's because I haven't had any sleep."

"You'll sleep better tonight."

Howie was about to reply when the group came walking back.

"Everything all set?" Kevin called, handing a tray filled with various breakfast items to the two men.

"Yeah, everything's cool--" Howie was pushed aside by AJ, who was nearly drooling over the tray of food.

"FOOD!"

"Figured as much," Brian laughed, watching AJ dig into the food as if everything were perfect in the world.