- Text Size +
Howie sighed softly as he walked into Melicia's room, knowing that the biggest bump in their relationship was about to be climbed. He had told his parents and siblings to go home and rest, because he would be there for Melicia. Now, the guys were waiting outside till he was done. Howie smiled softly as he seated himself by Melicia's bed. She was staring listlessly at the TV screen, her left arm in a snuggly fit sling, a sharp bruise on her cheek, and remaining tears in her eyes from the firm lecture from her grandparents. "Hey, Melicia, you missed the concert," Howie called softly.

"Yeah, I know... not feeling too great about that right now."

"It's not a big deal. Ana said some sweet things about Sarah and she sang beautifully," Howie replied, carefully holding his niece's IV'ed hand in his own. He followed the tubing to see a small pack of transfusing blood.

"I still wished I hadn't fucked it all up by not showing up. I really wanted to sing for Mama, Uncle Howie," she whispered, tears falling down her cheeks. "I'm sure she's feeling pretty disappointed in me right now."

"You sing for your mom every day, Mella. She didn't need to hear you on stage. And she's not disappointed in you. If anything, she should be disappointed in me."

"Why would she be? I'm the one who said all those words to my best friend, punched you and ran away only to get beat up, shot and have my wallet stolen. Mama's picture was in there, Uncle Howie."

"We have plenty of pictures of Sarah, Mella. We'll get you another one."

"Not the one I have! Only her and I had it. The one she had was with her on the Eleventh... it was of her, me and Daddy when I was born."

"I'm sorry, Mella..."

"So am I. All this happened because I was acting stupid."

"I'm sorry about other things, too, Mella," Howie whispered, kissing her hand gently. "I'm sorry for yelling about you and AJ. I realize that you love him very much and it was stupid for me to say that you were incapable of loving. You're very capable of making your own decisions about your love life. I also want to apologize for slinking around with Ana behind your back. I should have been straight with that. I'm sorry that you walked in on us like that, but you don't have to worry. It won't happen again, okay? I just want you to forgive me for being a terrible uncle."

"You're not a terrible uncle. You've been there for me since the attacks and I don't know what would have happened if I had to live with someone else. Mama made a good choice when she chose you, Uncle Howie. You should have told me about you and Ana, but I should have told you about me and AJ."

"I am a terrible uncle," he sighed.

"No, you're not. If anything, I'm a terrible niece and best friend."

"Mella, you were just upset, Honey."

"I shouldn't have freaked out, Uncle Howie. Now I've broken up you and Ana. She should have just left me in that alley..." Melicia trailed off, breaking her gaze from Howie's.

"Ana would have never left you in the alley. And there's no way that any of us would have wanted you left in the alley. She still cares for you, Mella. She's a true friend, because she loves you. She's not going to let one little thing come between you two. If anything, that's the reason she'll let me go, because she wants you to be her friend."

"B-But you love Ana... don't you?"

"It doesn't matter, Mella."

"Yes, it does. Don't you remember what you've always said? Persue the love you find, no matter where it blossoms? You should be listening to your own advice. I saw you two loved each other when I walked up to her house."

"Mella, I'm just going to concentrate on you."

"But Uncle Howie--"

"No, Mella, not now. Why don't we just start anew. We'll work on you getting better and just take it from there, okay?" Howie soothed, not wanting to bring up his tortured heart at the moment. Ana's gloomy eyes seemed to tear at his soul every time he closed his eyes.

Melicia sighed heavily, knowing it would be awhile before she could get Howie to talk about Ana. "Okay. Have you talked to--" a sharp pain invaded her side as she shifted a little in the bed. "Ow!"

"Those would be broken ribs, the doctor said it take a few to heal."

Melicia rested her right hand against her side, taking shallow breaths. "Ow, ow, ow, ow."

"Here," Howie sighed, reaching for a pillow. He carefully placed it against her side to support her. Melicia smiled with relief, settling back against the bed. The doctor had infused a steady stream of morphine to drown the pain, which Melicia was thankful for. "And, to answer your question, I did talk to AJ."

"And what happened?"

"He decided I could keep you," AJ called softly, walking into the room. He beamed a smile toward her, offering a fluffy white teddy bear.

"Alex!" she squealed happily. Howie smiled at his niece's excitement.

"I didn't think it would be right to keep you away from the guy you are obviously crazy about."

"He loves me too much to kick me out of the house anyway," AJ chuckled, leaning over to kiss her gently. Melicia's cheeks blushed a furious red at his affection. AJ simply ran his fingers through her dark locks. "You scared the shit out of me, you know?"

"I know and I'm sorry... I didn't mean to scare anyone, I was just so... I don't know. Running away seemed good at the time."

"Don't you ever run anywhere ever again. Okay? You can always come to me or your uncle or Nick or Brian or Kevin. Any of us. Okay?" AJ sighed, kissing her again.

"I won't, believe me. I'm really sorry."

"I know you are, but at least we can be together in the open now," AJ answered, winking to Howie.

"No making out in front of me, Bone. I don't need to see that," Howie teased as he kissed Melicia's forehead. "But you two don't have to sneak around anymore."

"Okay, okay, we'll go to my house to make out."

Howie was about to comment, but the other three boys walked in. They carefully leaned over the bed, kissing her cheeks, and telling her how much they loved her. Howie was grateful to have such great friends that cared so much about his family. Howie smiled, leaning back in his chair.

"How's the arm?" Brian asked, settling into a seat beside Howie.

"Hurts like Hell," Melicia frowned. "But I get morphine, so it's all good."

"You're damn lucky Ana found you," Nick stated bluntly, leaning against the nearby wall. He knew everyone was trying to step around the obvious, but Nick had always had a hard time dealing with the so called purple elephant in the middle of the room.

"Don't you think I know that, Nick? The girl saved my life."

"Yet you treated her like dirt?" Nick countered.

"I told her I was sorry, okay! God, I feel bad enough as it is, so back off!"

"Don't get upset with Nick, Melicia. He's just trying to make a valid point," Kevin countered, knowing Nick's heart was in the right place. "You were down-right-dispicable toward Ana. Under the circumstances, no one would have blamed her for looking the other direction. I thought we taught you better than that. To wish death on her then to accuse her father of something so horrendous... What were you thinking?"

"Obvioulsy I wasn't, because I regret what I said. Listen, I got this lecture from Gram and Pops, I don't need it again! Don't you think I wish she had just left me in that alley? I didn't deserve her help!"

"Melicia calm down," AJ urged softly.

"I'm not going to calm down when eveyone is rubbing in my face that Ana didn't have to stop and save my fucking life!"

"We're not rubbing it in your face. We're just saying that we all raised you better than that. Ana was so worried about you when she sat out there. She sat there for hours, knowing that her father was coming home this morning, just to make sure you were okay. Her father is hardly around and you know that she loves spending time with him, but yet she stayed, waiting for you," Brian stressed softly.

"She shouldn't have done that," Melicia whispered, looking down at her hands. "I'm not worth the wrath she's going to face at home."

"What are you talking about?" Howie asked in surprise.

"N-Nothing. I just meant that she's--"

"Wrath? What wrath?" Howie interupted. Melicia sighed, looking up at AJ for help.

"She's just talking about Ana getting grounded for staying out all night," AJ answered, biting back his bitter words. It would have been the prime choice to tell Howie about the situation, but it would only cause more distress on Melicia's part.

"Yeah. Then that means she won't be able to go out and surf for while," Melicia added, knowing it was going to be longer than she let on and it was all her fault.

"Her father will understand," Kevin sighed.

"If not, we'll go over and explain," Brian countered.

"No!" Melicia objected.

"No? Why?" Kevin asked in confusion.

"Ana's dad won't listen to what happened. He's stubborn like that... besides, he'll just ground her longer if we butt into their business," she lied.

"How is he going to ground her longer for helping a close friend?" Howie questioned with confusion, rubbing his temples. Any time Ana's family situation was brought into the picture, it was drawn as hazy and foggy. None of the pieces seemed to settle into the right places.

"It's the way he is."

"He won't let her keep a surfboard that her mother made for her, he'll ground her longer for helping a friend, and he won't let her in the house without a nice dress or skirt on?" Howie repeated.

"Um, well, I--"

"Just ask her about it tomorrow when she visits Melicia?" AJ ventured.

"Yeah. She'll be here tomorrow, you can ask her about it then," Melicia agreed, shooting AJ a look of thanks.

"I don't think she's willing to talk to me at the moment. She'll be here to see you, Mella," Howie sighed, leaning back on his seat. All the guys passed looks of sympathy toward Howie, knowing that it was hard for him.

"Uncle Howie, let me talk to her about you two. I'm sure she just needs time to think and hear from me that it's okay--"

"Mella, what did I tell you before?" Howie objected.

"But, Uncle Howie!"

"Melicia, don't."

Melicia sighed, giving up for the moment. She knew Howie and Ana were meant to be together, she just needed to work on it. "Alright, fine. So... did the doctor say when I can go home?"

"Two days," AJ stated.

"I have to stay in a hospital for two days?" Melicia groaned. She hated hospitals, especially since her Aunt Caroline passed away when she was younger. "I'm going to fall so far behind in school, I won't be able to graduate in a few months!"

"We're going to get your school work and we'll be here," AJ objected.

"Still doesn't mean I have to like being here..."

"No, but it means your staying here," Howie chuckled.

"This sucks," she pouted. "The food here is like, rotted. I can smell it already. Can't they serve Mickey D's or something?"

"No, but I'll pick you up some," AJ volunteered, kissing her.

Melicia finally smiled as she grabbed a hold of his t-shirt with her good hand and kissed him again.

"HEY! HEY! HEY! WE DON'T WANT TO SEE THAT!" the other four objected.

AJ and Melicia just laughed as they broke the kiss. "Are they going to say that all the time?" she asked him.

"Yeah, probably," he answered, not caring as he slipped her another kiss.

*~*~*

Ana sighed heavily as she sat in her driveway with the massive Hummer in idle. She gazed at her father's expensive Mercedes Benz parked in the tidy garage, knowing that he would be pacing in the study with his famous gin tonic. She glanced at the clock on her CD player - nine in the morning. She honestly thought about never going in, but he would find her. He always found her and her back had already caused her enough pain. It would be easier on her if she faced the music earlier instead of later. Maybe she could slip away with minor injuries. Knowing her final decision, Ana eased her car into the driveway and parked. "God give me strength," she whispered to herself, slowly easing herself down from the huge Hummer. Her heart hammered in her chest as she walked up to the door. Sighing heavily, she grasped the doorknob and opened it, walking inside.

The door shutting sounded like gunfire inside her house. She cringed as she heard the lumbering footsteps. Her father appeared in the doorway of the study, sure enough with the gin tonic secured tightly in his massive hand. He quickly glanced to the clock, shaking his head in disappointment. His sapphire eyes were dark with anger and disgust as he sized up his daughter. "Anastacia Grace Lord! Who the Hell do you think you are?! Galavanting around with boys in all hours of the night instead of studying?! Do you want Duke to terminate your scholarship? Do you want to be a disappointment to this family? God damnit, Ana! I thought we were over this rebellious streak! Do I have to beat it out of you!? First the ninety-eight, then staying out at all hours, talking back, AND LOOK AT YOUR CLOTHES! WHAT WERE YOU DOING?!"

"Dad... I'm sorry... I..." Ana couldn't even find the proper words to form in her mouth as she glanced at her clothing. Her expensive sweater-tank top torn to expose her navel. Her expensive black pants torn and caked with dirt. Her curls frazzled and dishelved around her shoulders. Not to mention the fact that she wasn't wearing a skirt in the first place.

"What, now you've forgotten how to talk right? You better explain yourself right now!"

"Dad, I was just helping a friend--"

"One of your boyfriends? Were you explaining the female anatomy? Was that it?!" he fired, throwing the thick glass in her direction. Ana jerked in surprise as the glass shattered behind her on the door, collecting in her hair.

"No, Dad! It's not like that!"

"Do you think I'm stupid or something, Ana?! I know why you have so many boys for friends, I just can't believe my own daughter would do such a thing!"

"I don't think you're stupid," Ana murmured dejectedly. Her father obviously took offense to her demeanor and stalked over to her. Without any thought, he grabbed a fistful of her long blonde curls, yanking her toward the living room. Ana could feel the blood trickle from the stressed curls as he flung her onto the floor with heated energy.

"I don't know what to do with you anymore! You're just like your mother, so careless and happy go lucky! Not everything is all good in the world, Ana. Why do you think she got her fool self killed in that plane? Because she was on it to come and see you SING. SINGING will not get you ANYWHERE!"

"It wasn't my fault. She told me it wasn't my fault. Momma loved to hear me sing," Ana replied with tears already streaming down her cheeks. She watched her father reach for a heavy iron poker that was used with their marble fireplace. Ana could only remember many happy nights cuddled in her mother's arms while they toasted S'mores in the burning embers.

"How many times have I told you not to talk back to me, Anastacia?!"

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"You should be, because you caused your mother's death. You caused my misery! I should have shipped you off to my blood-sucking parents, but I thought that I might be able to help you get into Duke. And I did! Your stupid blonde nature couldn't get you into Duke. Do you know why you got into Duke? Because I paid them a huge sum to dedicate a library in your mother's honor! That's why you got in! Now what do you do instead of being thankful? Skip school, have wild sex, probably do drugs, EVERYTHING IN THE GOD-DAMNED BOOK! Do you need to be taught a lesson AGAIN?! I thought the belt last week was plently, but it obviously did nothing!" her father roared, pushing her sharply in the chest with the iron poker several times.

"I was behaving. Pierce can tell you, Dad!" Ana winced as she was pushed onto her back.

"You've probably been giving Pierce some sex so he'll lie for you! If your mother could see you now, she would be so disappointed in you! Everything has been going wrong since you met that little slut across the street! Who was it, the niece of a Fagstreet Boy?"

"Melicia isn't the problem!" Ana countered.

"OH! Her name is MELICIA, is it? I guess I'll have to go over and talk to her after you get punished!" he replied, poking her hard in the chest again with the poker as he accented each word.

"Howie won't let you get near---"

"Don't talk back to me!"

"Dad, would you just--" Ana's voice was silenced with a swift kick to her side. She grunted in surprise, immediately trying to coil into a ball, but her father countered. He pressed his finely polished shoe deep into her chest, immobilizing her on the floor. He raised the poker high in the air, throwing it down with force. On instinct, Ana reached her casted hand up to block the blow. The deadly block cracked her cast and sent an intense fire coursing through her healing bones. He wrenched back in surprise, obviously furious at her attempt to neglect her punishment. He pressed his shoe deeper in her chest and stablized her right leg with his other foot. He delivered several sharp blows of the iron poker to the upper portion of her leg till they heard a sickening crack. Ana screamed wretchedly as a blinding pain shot up her spine.

"HUSH YOUR MOUTH RIGHT NOW OR IT'LL BE FAR WORSE!" he roared.

"YOU BROKE IT!" she shrieked, managed to wiggle free from the heel of his foot. She coughed violently as she attempted to rise to her feet, stumbling back to the ground whenever weight was applied to her broken femur. She screamed again as the muscles started to contract around the bone, violently contorting the injury. She heard the iron clammer to the floor as he roared in obsenties, hoisting her up by her hair. She stumbled again as he made her apply weight to her broken leg.

"IF YOU KEEP THIS UP, I'LL BREAK YOU GOD DAMN NECK, ANA! AND DON'T THINK I WON'T!" He shouted, throwing her into the wall.

"I CAN'T STAND ON MY LEG!" she screamed as he crushed his legs into her affected leg, forcing it onto the ground. Large black blobs clouded her eyes as the pain envolked her entire soul. She felt his heavy hand pound against her face and chest.

"MAYBE IF I DESTROY YOUR PRETTY FACE YOU'LL BE EASIER TO CONTROL!"

"It hurts! Just leave me alone!" she sobbed as his fist slammed into her jaw again.

"DON'T TELL ME TO LEAVE YOU ALONE! I'M YOUR FATHER AND YOU WILL NOT TALK TO ME LIKE THAT!"

"I'm s-s-sorry, Dad!" she yelped. He slammed her aching back hard into the wall again before letting her slump to the floor. Ana coughed violently, clawing at the floor in a vain attempt to get away. She stared at the white carpet, noticing her crimson blood tainting a large spot. She thought he would leave her alone, but his lesson wasn't through. He immediately reached for the leather belt around his waist. He pulled it quickly through the loops, coiling it tightly around his hand, leaving a large lead to snap against her flesh.

"Come back here, I'm not done with you!" he roared, striding over to her, belt in his hand.

"Where the Hell am I going to go!" she choked in agony, knowing that she should have held her words. She felt her father straddle her back, ripping the tattered clothing away from her body. She sobbed openly as she felt the pressure of his massive body relieved. She started to crawl away again, but felt a sharp bite of leather cross into her already bloody back. She screamed as several more whip-like actions were repeated across her tender flesh.

"When-are-you-going-to-LEARN?!" He shouted, each word followed with a whip of the belt.

Ana could feel her flesh tearing open as the force behind each blow became stronger than the last. She felt dizzy as she struggled to grip the soft carpet for support. Her mind struggled to put her in a silent world of darkness, but she fought with every ounce of strength, knowing that if she slipped off she might never wake up. "I HATE YOU SO MUCH!" she screamed.

"THE FEELING IS MUTUAL! I WISH YOU HAD NEVER BEEN BORN!"

"THEN DO ME A FAVOR AND TAKE ME OUT OF THE WORLD!" Ana shrieked back, unable to hold her emotions at bay. She heard the belt be thrown across the room. She allowed her bleeding face to collapse onto the carpet, hoping that it was the end. Instead, her father flipped her roughly to her back, kneeling against her pained body. He slid his hands tightly around her throat, starting to compress her windpipe. Ana started to gasp for air, clawing at his large hands as they continued to press the air out of her lungs.

"You want taken out of the world? It would be a Hell of a lot easier on me. You'll leave the world fighting just like your stupid mother. Do you know that I was happy when she died, Ana? Do you know why? Because I blamed her for giving me a disgusting daughter. She spoiled you rotten and now I'm throwing the rotten core into the trash," her father hissed as Ana slowly slipped into an unconscious world.