- Text Size +
Since you've gone I been lost without a trace
I dream at night I can only see your face
I look around but it's you I can't replace
I feel so cold and I long for your embrace
I keep on crying baby please

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you




"Melicia, open the door. We need to talk," Howie called from the other side of her locked door.

"I don't want to talk," she spat back, throwing a book on the floor.

"Tough, we need to."

"You're not my father! You can't tell me what to do."

"I'm the closest and best thng you've had! Sweets, open the door. Please," The only response he got was Melicia blaring Linkin Park's "Numb" as loud as she could. "Fine, be that way!" he stormed back into the living room.

"Not good, I'm guessing," Kevin commented as Howie pulled on his dark curls.

"Gee, what made you think that?" he spat back, sitting down on the couch. "She was never like this before Sarah died..."

"The girl just lost her mother, man. And after the service you decide to tell her you're making her leave the only home she's known. Tell me how you would react," Brian replied critically, raising an eyebrow.

"He does have a point, D," AJ agreed. "I know I would have a fit if my uncle did that to me after my mom died."

"If you know so much about this, you go and talk to her. I give up," Howie answered, resting his head in his hands.

"Okay, I will," Brian stood up and walked back to Melicia's room.

The hallway was filled of pictures. Mainly of Melicia and her mother, but there were a good amount of the whole Dorough clan and the Backstreet Family. He stopped at one picture of just Sarah and Melicia. "They look exactly alike."

Indeed they did, their tan skin with chocolate hair. Even their smile was the same. The only way you could tell the difference was Melicia's black glasses and her piercing blue eyes that she inherited from her deceased father, Tobias. His picture was right next to the one Brian was looking at. He died of cancer when Melicia was just a baby, leaving Sarah alone. But she prevailed and raised her with the help of her family and the boys. Now Melicia was the only one left, and Brian's heart went out to her as he banged on the door over the music. It was turned down almost all the way.

"Uncle Howe, I don't want to talk!"

"Mella, honey, it's Brian. Can you let me in?" there was silence before Melicia unlocked the door and opened it. Her eyes were red and blurry with tears.

"I miss my mama, Brian," he gave a sad smile as they hugged and walked into her room.

"I know you do, Mella," he kissed her forehead as she pulled herself away from Brian. He looked around the room and whistled in awe. "This place is messier than mine!" Melicia laughed a little.

"I know, it's really bad. Mama always freaked when she came in here," clothes, DVD's and CD's scattered the floor. Her walls were covered with Linkin Park, Metallica and Backstreet Boys posters. Her dresser was cluttered with trophies in basketball and track. On the nightstand she had four picures. One of everyone at the first Backstreet Boys concert, another of her with Tobias and Sarah when she was a baby, one with all of her friends at the Homecoming game and the last one was of Sarah and Melicia for her senior pictures.

"This is my favorite one," she commented, grabbing the one at the concert. "It was so amazing to see all those girls screaming for y'all... especially Uncle Howie."

"I know, it was a great time," Brian agreed as she put the picture back. "Howie just wants you to be okay, Mel." she took a deep breath and looked at him.

"He also wants me to leave New York. This is my HOME, Brian. I don't want to leave. All my friends are here."

"But there's nothing you can do, Mel. We have to go back to Florida because our job and lives are there. Howie's your guardian and you have to go where he goes."

"So I have to uproot myself for his benefit and not my own?" Melicia crossed her arms over her chest. "That's bullshit, Brian."

"You can think that all you want, darling. But we're going back to Florida in a few days... and you're coming with us."

"Get out of my room, please," she whispered hatefully.

"You'll understand when you're older--"

"GET OUT, NOW."

"No."

"What? If you don't leave, I'll make you."

"Try it. You can't get what you want all the time. You'll learn that the hard way. To be perfectly blunt, Darling, we're already sick and tired of your little teenage pissy moments."

"Fuck you and get out. You don't know what it's like to lose someone."

"Oh, don't I? I've had both my uncle and grandfather pass away. Kevin had his father die. AJ's grandmother died as well. Howie has now lost two sisters... Don't make him lose a niece as well," Brian paused, placing an arm around Melicia, who became quiet. "He needs you, and you need him."

"I-I know," she whispered, tears in her eyes again. "Does Uncle Howie hate me for acting like a brat?"

"No, no, no," he cooed softly, pulling the young woman into his arms. "He could never hate you. Never. Just talk to him. Be there for each other. Okay?"

"Okay," she looked up into his azure eyes and gave a little smile. "Thank you, Bri-Bri."

"Anytime, Mella," he gave her a friendly peck on the lips. "Are you ready to come out to the living room?"

"Yeah... I am. Let's go," they kept their arms at their waists and walked down the hall.