- Text Size +
"Hey, Lovebirds, wake up," Kevin called softly as he leaned over the slumbering couple. It was around six in the evening and Howie had yet to come back from the hospital. He had called Kevin, Brian, and Nick asking them to go at least check to make sure Melicia was okay and didn't need him home yet. Nothing much had happened with Ana, because the doctors were keeping her in a drug-induced-coma, waiting for her vitals to stabilize.

"No wakey, Daddy. Mella wants to sleep," Melicia moaned softly as she buried her head in AJ's shoulder.

"Damn, who's going to finish this pizza?" Nick moaned loudly, knowing it would rouse AJ.

"Someone say pizza?" AJ asked, opening his eyes.

"Yeah, but you need to order it," Kevin laughed as Melicia stirred beside AJ, slowly peeking her eyes open. Kevin smiled, bending down to kiss her forehead. "Your uncle called us, Sweetheart."

"He's still not home yet?" she asked, rubbing her eyes.

"No, he wanted to stay with Ana a little while longer. He said that her vital signs were finally starting to stabilize and the doctors were thinking about lessening the drugs to see if she wakes up... But, he said that he'll come home right away if you need him. He wanted us to come over and see how you two were doing and all," Kevin explained softly.

"No, I want him to stay with her," Melicia replied as AJ sat up and helped her. The pain in her ribs and shoulder were gone for the moment. "And I want him to be surprised when he sees how I'm decorating Ana's new room."

"Ana's new room?" Nick asked in surprise.

"Didn't Uncle Howie tell you? Once Ana gets out of the hospital, we're having her live with us."

"What about her dad? I mean, he'll want her with him, right?" Brian countered, not really understanding the entire story. Howie had just mentioned that Ana was hurt and in the hospital. He hadn't went into specific details.

"They don't know... do they, Alex?" Melicia whispered.

"Howie didn't tell you why Ana's in the hospital?" AJ asked, kissing Melicia's temple.

"Just that she was hurt... why, do you two know what really happened?" Kevin asked as they all sat down in chairs and couches.

"Yeah, we know..." Melicia faltered.

"Tell us, Mella. Please."

"Ana's father...hurts her... Not just like grounding her or anything. He beats her and that's what he did the other day. We went into her house and there was blood everywhere..." Melicia whispered sadly.

"You mean all the stories we heard... falling down the stairs, taking a bad spill surfing... it was all lies to cover up for her father?" Brian asked quietly. The thought of a parent hurting a child to the brink of death shocked him.

"She wasn't the only one that covered it up... Her guys knew... The maids knew... Everyone seemed to know, but didn't do a damn thing... She told me when she rescused me that night, but I didn't say anything... I knew from before, but I was afraid..."

"Most people don't say anything in these situations because they think if they just think it's not happening, that it'll go away," Kevin replied quietly.

"Well, it didn't go away. He used a fucking fire poker on her," AJ blurted with disgust.

Melicia winced at the tone of AJ's voice, tears in her eyes. "That's why she's going to live with us."

"Do you think her dad's going to let her..." Nick's voice trailed.

"Uncle Howie won't give him a choice," Melicia declared protectively.

"Are you sure he won't try to do to Howie what he did to Ana?"

"Uncle Howie can defend himself better than Ana could."

Kevin finally spoke again. "I know you think Howie is indestructable, Mella. But from what AJ told me, Ana's father could even give ME a smackdown--"

"Then we'll call the police. He's not getting Ana back. No way."

"I don't think you can change her mind, Kev. The girl is stubborn like her mom," Brian teased lightly as he ruffled Melicia's locks.

"I'm just saying that he might not be the kind of guy to dick around with," Kevin decided.

"Don't use that saying," Melicia suddenly snapped, shaking a little. That was the same thing her mugger said before shooting her.

"What saying?"

"Dick around with... that's what he told me before... before he shot me," she replied, looking down at the sling.

"I'm sorry," Kevin recalled.

"No, it's alright. I shouldn't have snapped at you," she looked up, mustering a smile.

"You didn't snap..."

"Well, do you want to head to the store, Baby? I promised you we could after you took a nap," AJ changed the subject.

"We can go?" she asked excitedly, changing her mood as if she were changing a radio station

"Well, of course we can," AJ chuckled, kissing her softly. It kind of worried him how quickly her moods changed, but he just dismissed it as being under too much stress.

"Alright, c'mon guys! We're going interior decorating shopping!"

"WE? What do you mean WE?" Nick asked, raising his eyebrows. "I didn't agree with that!"

"Well, you can either go to Home Depot, or lug Ana's cedar chest over from her house," AJ offered.

"Shopping with Mella and AJ, or doing manual labor? I'd rather go shopping!"

"Could you go get the chest then, Kev?" AJ asked.

"Yeah, sure. I'll even get the food and everything for when y'all come back, " Kevin replied as everyone stood up to leave.

"Thanks," AJ called happily, leaning over to kiss Kevin playfully.

"Ew!" Kevin stumbled backwards and fell onto the chair.

"That's our cue to leave," Brian whimpered, running out the door, knowing Kevin's wrath all too well.

"MCLEAN!" Kevin yelled, scrambling out of the chair.

"Yikes!" Nick yelped as he followed Brian to AJ's car.

"Baby, get going!" Melicia ordered, pushing him out the door and closing it behind her.

*~*~*

Ana muffled some kind of noise as her eyes slowly fluttered open. Her throat ached with rawness and pain as she struggled to lift her tubed left arm to rub the grainy feeling of her eyes away. The sleepiness seemed to slowly drain away from her body as she tried to move her jaw to speak, only to find an uncomfortable tube inserted into her throat. She quickly glanced to see various tubes flowing into her body. There was an intense pull on her throbbing right leg. Her back lit with fire. Everything seemed to hurt at once. She struggled to orient herself, finally realizing that her father had tried to choke the life from her.

"Ana? Baby, you're awake!" a voice exclaimed in surprise from the right of her.

Ana narrowed her eyes, glancing over to see Howie sitting by her side. She groaned openly, knowing she looked terrible, but it only came out as a gurgle. Suddenly her closet guy friends came running back. Immediately, each boy leaned over to give her kisses on her tender cheeks, welcoming her back into the conscious world. Ana's eyes fluttered as she struggled to move - the pain almost unbearable.

"Just stay still, okay? Wait until the doctor gets here," Howie soothed, kissing her forehead as Kieran ran to get her doctor.

Ana didn't want to stay still, because images of her father's terror flashed against her mind. She muffled some kind of sob from beneath the tube, remembering the iron poker slam repeatedly into her tender leg. She wanted to get away and get the tube out. She glanced around the room quickly, searching for her father. Usually, when the damage inflicted had been quite severe, he would be sitting by her side playing good father till the doctor left.

"Shh, it's okay, Ana. He's not here in the hospital. He's not even in this COUNTRY," Howie replied quietly, knowing what she was thinking. "And I'm so sorry I let him hurt you like this."

Ana tried to shake her head 'no,' instantly defending her father. Her life would be ruined if anyone voiced their concern about her father. There would be no living with him. She would be six feet under within a week.

"Don't defend him, Ana. It's time you stop doing that, because he can't hurt you anymore."

She raised her aching hand up to place across his mouth, silencing him. She didn't want to hear it. Her muscles began to contract as her eyes pleaded with him to stay quiet. Tears of agony slipping down her pale face as her body tensed beneath each bite of torture. Howie stayed quiet, reaching over to wipe away her tears. It hurt him to see her in such pain and he would have gladly traded places so she wouldn't have to suffer.

She tried to block his hand, hating the way he was looking at her. She didn't want him to see her like this. It was bad enough that Pierce, Dominic, Amos, Riley, and Kieran had to see her like this, but she loved Howie with a deep passion. She didn't want him seeing her in such a state of distress. She just wanted to die. She suddenly began to wish that her father had succceded.

"Don't push me away, Ana. Please don't," Howie whispered. She closed her eyes, just wanting to disappear.

Howie was about to speak again when Ana's doctor came into the room. "Welcome back, Anastacia."

Ana instantly motioned toward her throat and then to the IV bag that held a large supply of morphine. The monitor recorder her blood pressure, pulse, and respirations showed a high increase - depicticing Ana's copious amounts of pain coursing through her body.

The doctor smiled softly, immediately motioning for the nurse that had followed to retrieve an injection of morphine. She then took to careful means to remove the tube. The boys turned away from the sight when they heard Ana gasping and gagging through the removal. Once out, the doctor quickly applied an nose canula for Ana to recieve oxygen. "Your trachea was damaged from the attack and we'll have to watch your breathing for awhile to make sure you don't go into respiratory distress. We'll get your pain under control... Not to mention we have to schedule your surgery to repair your shattered femur and your shattered radius. I was afraid to admit you into surgery with the way you came in."

"Can I just l-l-leave?" Ana choked, her throat constricting with pain.

"No, you cannot, Anastacia. With the way your bones are broken, surgery is the only way to heal them."

"But my dad's going to--"

"Be in Europe for several weeks. Your friend Pierce gave me a note your father had written."

"He wrote a note?" she wheezed. "What did he say happened?"

"He said he was out of town and an attacker broke into the house. Pierce had called him when he was in the air and he faxed a note over. Is that correct?" the doctor countered, glancing at her notes.

"I guess so," Ana murmured.

"Is there something else you need to add?"

"Well, since you're awake and stabilized, I'm thinking 6 am tomorrow."

"Good thing I don't have to be awake for it..." she trailed, her voice cracking as the nurse injected a dose of morphine into her IV port.

The doctor chuckled softly, patting Ana's hand. "You're going to be just fine, Anastacia."

Howie and the boys thanked the woman as she left the room.

"We're going to leave you with Howie for a few minutes, because we figure you need something to entertain you, before we get on the spot. And can I tell you one thing Ana? The next time I have my lips against your lips, I don't want it to be for CPR and I'd actually like you to remember it, okay?" Pierce chided lightly, leaning over to kiss her cheek again.

"CPR?" Ana questioned, figuring her windpipe had almost been completely crushed.

"Yeah... you weren't breathing when I found you."

Maybe you should have left it like that. Ana thought bitterly as she forced a small smile. "Thank you, Pier."

"We're going to grab something to eat and we'll be back," Dominic promised as each boy delivered another kiss before leaving.

"How's Melicia?" Ana decided to ask as she eased her back against the air mattress, wincing openly as she felt blood ooze against the thick guaze pads that adhered to her belt wounds. Her tears still trailing down her cheeks as her whole body throbbed. She was afraid to speak to Howie about what really happened and about where their relationship was supposed to be.

"She's alright, thanks to you," Howie replied, hating to see her in pain. "The doctor told us what you did for her--"

"I didn't do anything but get her to the hospital," Ana countered quickly, her voice cracking from the pain of the bruises around her throat.

"You did more than that, Ana. One, you found her. Two, you stopped her wound from bleeding too badly. Three, you kept her awake so she didn't go into total shock."

"Anybody would have done that," Ana replied, not wanting the title of a hero for something she caused.

"Most people would just turn away, you know that... and if someone did stop, they probably wouldn't know what to do like you did."

"Did she get discharged?" Ana asked, wanting to change the subject.

"Yeah, this morning."

"No permanent injuries?"

"No, they say her shoulder will be able to have full use after physical therapy."

"Good, at least one of us has a chance..."

"What do you mean by that?"

"My other femur was broken skateboarding, it takes awhile to get full use back, and it sucks ass that my right one's shattered, too. Not to mention the fact when I go home, he'll be waiting---it'll just be rough..."

"Well, that's why Mella and I had an idea... I'm really hoping you'll go for it, because if not, she's going to be redecorating for nothing right now."

"What are you talking about?" Ana asked with confusion, fumbling to slowly raise the head of her bed. She yelped quietly at the initial jolt, but found her breathing easier once she was sitting somewhat upright

"Both of us were wondering if you would come and stay at our house so he can't hur-- I mean, until your bones heal up. Because your father won't be home for awhile, and we thought you would like to stay with us."

"You want me at your house?" she questioned, gently rubbing the bruises on her throat. She had assumed that since Melicia had found them, that any chance of a relationship with him had been shattered. Yet, there he sat, inviting her into his home, but she quickly reminded herself that Melicia might have been the one to decide.

"Yeah, of course. I would rather have you safe at my house with the injuries you have instead of alone at home."

"He'll be home soon," she whispered.

"That's the main reason why I want you at my house. I can protect you, Ana."

"Protect me?" she stated with somewhat of a bitter laugh.

"What, you don't think I can?"

The questions seemed to line together in her mind. More tears started to trickle down her pale cheeks as she reached to take a long sip of water, trying to kill the pain in her throat. She could only remember her father's mean words as he slowly choked the life from her body, and then Melicia's words in the Hummer. "You know, don't you?" she asked softly, finally biting down her nerves to glance into his soft brown eyes.

Howie nodded, taking her hand into his. "Yeah, I do... I've had suspicions for a long time, but I thought that maybe I was wrong, that maybe I was just imagining it all..."

"Melicia told you?"

"Yeah, after you came into the hospital."

"It's not a big deal..."

"Not a big deal? Ana, your father almost KILLED you."

"I was acting stupid, you know? I came in with my tank top ripped... I talked back and he told me to be quiet... I did a lot of things to make him mad. I should have known better. I did know better," she answered, her voice cracking under the pressure. She hated her father with a deep passion, recalling as the iron slammed several times into her tender leg, then the belt lashing, then the fists, and then his hands.

"Don't you dare blame yourself. Just because of all that, it gives your father the right to beat you within an inch of your life? You know that he's in the wrong, don't you?"

"He's always done it. I should have known."

"But it's not your fault!"

"Howie, please, don't."

"Then don't blame yourself!"

Ana took a deep breath, wheezing as the air entered her tired lungs. She didn't want to fight, because it wouldn't solve anything. Her father would come back and everything would be back to normal. He would force her home, take away her pride, strip her of dignity, and maybe finally kill her. She could only hope that she would move to Duke before he really snapped. She didn't want to talk about it and, on some level, she feared moving in with Howie. She didn't know what their relationship consisted of any more. She just wanted to heal and get back to her life. "Shouldn't...you be with Melicia?" Ana finally asked after several minutes of silence.

"She and the fellas are out shopping right now. The girl was really excited about the concept of you living with us while you healed. Mel's the one who told me to stay here and make sure you were alright-- even though I was thinking about doing so anyways."

"I'm fine, you can go with her now."

"Ana, why are you pushing me away?"

"Because I don't know where we are."

"That's why you talk about it, not ignore it or push me away. That doesn't solve anything."

"Why talk about it? It's a open and shut case, Howie. Melicia freaked and I'd like to stay friends with her. I can't very well be her friend and your lover at the same time. She'll flip. She's right anyway, I'm younger than her...you're older than AJ..."

"Have you even talked to Melicia and find out how she would feel about us? Because when I talked to her, she wanted to make sure we WOULD be together in the end. Ana, I... I really thought you cared about me and about our relationship. If so, age shouldn't matter and you would want to try to work all this out."

"I do care about you and the relationship..."

"Then why don't you want to try and work on it?" Howie asked, a painful look on his face. It hurt to see Ana not be eager to rekindle what they had.

"Because everything gets broken in the end. My Dad will just rip it apart... He's the one that got me into Duke anyway... He'll take that away..."

"He told you HE got you into Duke? Ana, you and your grades got you into that school, no matter what your father said!"

"Howie, it just hurts so bad right now. I don't want to talk about it. I just want to get through my surgery, get back home, and stay out of his way," Ana whispered, heavier tears falling. She didn't want to talk about it. She wanted to repress it.

Howie sighed heavily, reaching over to wipe away her tears. "I'm sorry, Ana..." he closed his eyes and began to sing softly.

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you screamed I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me

"Howie, you... I'm so sorry," she whispered painfully when he finished, feeling his hand rest gently against her bruised cheek. He had a way of making her feel safe and comfortable. She loved him, but everything shattered in her hands.

"Just let this work out, Baby... please. I don't care what I have to do, I'm going to fight for you."

"He's going to come back, Howie..."

"We'll call the police, Sweetie."

"We can't do that... They won't believe me."

"Once they see what happened, the recurring hospital visits and everyone's testimony... they'll make sure your father will never hurt you again."

"Nobody's seen what happened..."

"No, but they all know what's been going on."

"Who knows?" Ana groaned.

"Do you really need me to name them all?" Howie asked, with a nervous smile. "I'm sure you know who."

"I know my boys know...but yours? Do they know? Because I don't want the pity. I don't need the pity."

"I think they do by now. The only one who will act stupid and slip up is Nick. I know you don't need pity, I can see that."

"I'm just so tired."

"Do you want me to leave so you can rest?"

"I'm physically tired, but I'm also tired of everything. I'm tired of fighting for everything. I just want to fall asleep forever, you know? Just slip away where there's no pain, no coldness, no abandonment, and no fear," Ana explained softly, staring at her hand that was also cast in tight traction.

"I've felt that way before, Ana. Everyone has. And I don't mean to sound like a parent or anything... but it's life. We take it as it goes and deal with it the best way we can. Wishing to sleep forever won't help."

"I've taken more than the average person, Howie."

"And that's what makes you stronger in the end."

"I guess," she stated dejectedly.

Howie sighed again, stroking her cheek softly. "Just know that I love you, I will always be there for you and will never let you get hurt."

"I love you, too..."

He leaned in and kissed her softly. "Will you please just stay until we figure out what to do when your father comes home?"

"It's going to be a lot of work, Howie."

"And you're worth it."

"She's redoing a room for me?"

"Yeah, it's gonna be like Trading Spaces or something at the house, knowing her."

"She doesn't have to do that. The guest room was just fine... If anything, I'd take over your room," she joked lightly, coughing as she tried to laugh.

Howie chuckled softly as he handed her another cup of water. "I know, but Mella needs something to do while she's out of school or else she'll drive me crazy."

"How about you stay in that room and I'll take yours?"

"I don't wanna be alone in the room," he pouted.

"Like you're going to want a girl with two casts on her right side in a room with you either."

"I'm going to take care of you," Howie promised.

"You want to sleep by a girl in casts and bruises with lesions on her back?"

"I want to sleep with the girl I love."

"Are you going to come back tomorrow after my surgeries? Pierce will stay with me no doubt... All of them probably will... but..."

"I would like to come by if it's okay."

"I'd like that, but you need to help Melicia. I'll survive."

"How about I stop by for awhile after I help Mella and the guys with your room?"

"If you want."

"I really do want to."

"... I really want you to come by, too."

"Then I'll stop by, Sweetheart."

"Okay," she answered somewhat shyly.

Howie gave a soft smile, leaning over to kiss her again. "I love you."

"I love you more," she countered as he ran his fingers through her curls. She smiled as their lips briefly parted before connecting again. "I'm sorry for lying to you."

"I know, but it's okay now. We love each other, you're going to be fine and we're still together."

"We're still together?"

"Well, I was hoping we were--"

"And I thought we never parted," she teased softly.

"Ooh, you're funny," Howie chuckled, kissing her again.

"I'm still scared, Howie."

"I know, Sweetie. I know. But I'm going to be there for you everyday and soon you won't be scared anymore."

"You said that the waters could be rough as Hell and reach the Heavens and you would still stay beside me," she reminded herself aloud with a small smile.

"And I will keep that promise. Forever," Howie vowed.