- Text Size +
"AJ, Mella, the paint goes on the walls, not on you!" Howie groaned, scolding the two like foolish children. He watched Melicia grin impishly, coloring AJ's hair with a dark shade of purple while AJ did his best to outline the sketch of the enlarged faery that Nick had made hours earlier. AJ didn't seem to notice the flicker of paint till something wet tickled the back of his neck. He smacked at the tickle, splashing the paint onto the plastic covered floor. He glared toward Melicia, who pretended to be outlining another faery created by Ana's mother. Howie knew that the trouble was brewing as AJ started to paint a series of pictures on Melicia's tank top, listening to her screech with disapproval. Howie could only be thankful that all the funiture had been moved out of the room and the carpet covered with plastic for protection.

"She started it!" AJ objected as he ducked away from Melicia's paintbrush.

"You're going to ruin the pictures!" Howie growled, watching Melicia draw up her paintbrush in her right hand as if she were a skilled swordsman.

"No we won't, Uncle Howie!" Melicia replied as she looked back at AJ. "I challenge you to a duel, Alexander James!"

"Don't insult me," AJ snorted, ducking her brush again to kiss her lips. "You'd lose!"

In repsonse Melicia grabbed the hem of his tank top and lifted it up. Before AJ knew it his stomach was painted a dark purple. "I win!"

"You are such a freaking tease!" AJ grunted, carefully throwing her to the floor, making sure that her shoulder was cradled carefully against her chest. He then bent down, pinning her legs as he began to paint long slashes of black paint along her face. "Look, you're a Picasso!"

"Ah! Gross it's on my face!" she whined, feeling the cold paint on her skin.

"Wait...gotta add the finishing touches," AJ cackled, reaching for a paintbrush dipped in lavender. He painstakingly drew lopsided flowers on her skin, smiling at his work of art.

"Alex!" she groaned, trying to get out from under AJ. "This is not fair!

"No, I was trying to be nice and kiss you, but you got dirty, so I finished the job!"

"I didn't paint your face, this isn't the same!"

"You got my stomach!"

"If you get off me I'll help you wash it off."

"Oh, God, I didn't want to hear that," Howie choked loudly, trying to concentrate on outlining the faery that was the centerpiece of Ana's surfboard on the wall where her bed would be placed.

"Sorry Uncle Howie," Melicia gave an impish smile as she looked back at AJ. "Well?"

"Deal, but I want to paint you more."

"You can paint my clothes, Baby. Just not my face, okay? I've got to look horrid right now."

"Nah, it's cute."

"Alex, please? I wanna finish outlining the remaining faeries."

"Fine," he sulked.

Melicia grabbed his t-shirt and pulled him down for a kiss. "Don't sulk, Baby."

"Just finish with your stupid faeries," AJ laughed, accepting the kiss and then helping her up. Melicia brushed off her clothing, starting to work on the wall again. However, AJ couldn't help himself, he waited for the perfect moment and brushed a bright lavender streak across the butt of Melicia's shorts.

"ALEXANDER JAMES MCLEAN!" She turned around, paint brush ready in her hand.

"D, need a drink, Mel, keep painting!" AJ blurted, tearing out of the room.

"YOU GET PAINT ANYWHERE IN MY HOUSE AND I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" Howie screeched as Melicia took off after him.

"MCLEAN, GET BACK HERE!" Melicia shouted, her voice echoing through the house.

"SHIT! HELP ME!" AJ yelped. Suddenly there was a crash and cursing immediately followed.

Howie winced openly as his cell phone rang abruptly. Howie sighed, shaking his head with regret, knowing that the two would probably be cleaning up yet another mess. He decided quickly that he wouldn't go downstairs, knowing that the mess might be more than he could handle. Instead, he clicked open his phone only to be greeted by Ana's rare laughter, "Kier! I can so do that Cell Block Tango Dance, better than any of those chicks, and I look a Hell of a lot better in leather, too!"

"When can I see you in leather?" Howie teased with a chuckle.

"Shit, I didn't think the phone picked up..." Ana laughed softly. Kieran could be heard in the background making noises about Ana's obvious blush. "We're just watching Chicago. Kieran decided that I couldn't have any violence tonight, so we have some musicals and...comedies."

"Sounds like fun. Better than me babysitting Mella and AJ by myself."

"No, now they're downstairs after attacking each other with the paint. I'm too scared a blood vessel will burst in my brain if I go down there."

"An aneurysm? Oh, they're pretty ugly..."

"Yeah, those things. That's why I'm staying up here."

"Would it make you feel any better if I told you that Kieran is a sucky ass babysitter---ow---Kier! Damn, don't mess with the curls!" Ana whimpered softly with Kieran chuckling in the background. "Kieran is the best babysitter I've ever had. He's even better than Pierce. I bow down to his superior techniques of keeping my entertained in the oddest of ways..."

"Um...no...the entertaining must remain strictly confidential to those only in the hospital room... But, I can tell you that he gave me the ever popular bikini that I'll be wearing during practice."

"What kind of design and color?"

"A little skimpy piece."

"Can't wait to see it, Baby."

"I don't think you get the point, Howie. They took a piece of string that some Grandmother would crochet with and threw it in a bag."

Howie stopped dead in his tracks. "Say what? You're not wearing a piece of string!"

"They said that it's regulation if I want to sing some Meatloaf at every practice!"

"But a STRING?!"

"They said I could be creative with it."

"Ana are you serious or are you--"

"I'm serious that they gave me a piece of string, but then Kier gave me another bag later that had this black tube top type of swim top with a pair of string bikini briefs that are blue with drums and keyboards all over them."

Howie sighed with relief. "Thank God. I thought I was going to have an anyeurism thingy."

"They said if you wanted I could always try out the string first," she teased.

"That's something we would do privately."

"That's what they figured. So now Pierce is just trying to figure out the right angle he could have his guitar neck slip underneath the strings on my bikini bottoms and accidently untie them."

"I'm going to have a serious talk with those boys," Howie growled.

"They love you, too," Ana laughed at the other end.

"No trying to untie bikini bottoms!"

"Alright, but what if I--"

"ALEX, KNOCK IT OFF!" Melicia screeched.

"YOU KNOW YOU LOVE ME! C'MERE! PAINTY KISSES ARE COMING!" AJ cackled loudly, racing by Howie as Melicia struggled to get away. Somehow, they landed on the couch with Melicia perched on top of his chest. Immediately, Melicia cooed happily toward him, starting to kiss his neck to calm him.

"Sounds like she's doing really well..." Ana hesitated softly.

"She's getting better... the nightmares still occur every night, though." Howie bit his lip, knowing that Melicia hadn't even visited Ana since she woke up.

"They'll disappear with time... I'm glad AJ's there to help her through it," Ana answered, her voice quickly drawling away from the perkiness that had started the conversation.

"Ana, are you okay?"

"Yeah, sorry, Kieran put Chicago back on," Ana lied flatly.

"Something's wrong. Why don't you tell me?"

"Nothing's wrong, honestly. Just getting tired and all. I'm still on morphine and whatnot for the pain... Having stuff drilled and plated into your leg and arm tend to hurt a little, right?"

"Yeah, that's true. Do you want me to grab anything for you tomorrow before coming by to visit?"

"You don't have to visit."

"I told you I was going to."

"But, I don't--"

"I'm coming to see the woman I love whether she thinks I should or not. Okay?"

"I don't need anything," she sighed dejectedly, knowing she had been defeated. She didn't have the energy to compete. Her heart hurt from Melicia's obvious disregard.

"As long as you're sure. Do you want me to let you go so you can watch the rest of Chicago?"

Ana was about to speak, but Melicia's giggling voice interupted her train of thought. "ALEX! OF COURSE YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND!"

"Ick, I'm getting tired. Just tell Melicia---ah---forget it. I have to go," Ana blurted, feeling sick to her stomach. She had almost died to save Melicia, yet she couldn't even pick up a phone. Ana felt her emotions tear in half. She scolded herself for thinking ill of Melicia, knowing that the older woman was healing from her traumatic incident. It shouldn't have mattered that she didn't visit, but in the pit of Ana's heart, it did.

"Oh, alright. Goodnight, Sweetheart. I'll see you tomorrow," Howie's ears could pick up a little bit of sadness in Ana's voice and knew he had to talk to Melicia.

"Something like that," she murmured, immediately hanging up her phone without any loving partings.

Howie looked at the phone in question as he got up and headed into the living room where AJ and Melicia were. "Why haven't you visited Ana?" he blurted.

"Because I didn't think she'd want me visiting?" AJ guessed, not realizing who exactly Howie was directing the question to.

"Not you," Howie groaned, rolling his eyes. "Melicia. Baby, Ana saved your life and you saw her once while she was in that drug-induced coma."

"Oooh, this isn't an Alexander James McLean lecture... I'm going to go back to outlining," AJ murmured, quietly slipping away from the conversation.

"Uncle Howie, I've been working on her room the entire time. I haven't had time to stop by. I thought that the room would make up for it."

"I know you've been working on her room and she's going to love it. But Mella, she stayed at the hospital until almost 9 in the morning, knowing her father would be waiting at home. But she still stayed. I'm just saying you need to visit her. When you were yelling in the background, she heard you. And I think she was hurt."

"Ana understands, Uncle Howie, it's not like that. She knows that I'm at home resting up till she gets here, because we'll be partying nonstop. It's not a big deal. I think you were misreading something. She was probably tired or in pain from the surgeries," Melicia countered, trying to make herself believe her own ficticious stories.

"So, she thinks you're healing when in the background she can hear you screaming "ALEX! OF COURSE YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND!"? I don't know about that, Mella."

"Ana's independant, Uncle Howie---"

"And still needs to know she has her friends."

"I'm always going to be her friend. I just wanted to spend time with Alex and get the room done. She totally understands that. Like you said, we bonded, she knows better."

"You're sure she totally understands that?" Howie whispered. "Because you know how she hides her feelings, but is really hurting. I'm going to visit Ana tomorrow, and I think she would really like it if you either came with me or stopped by later."

"But Uncle Howie--"

"Put yourself in Ana's shoes, Mella. How would you be right now?"

"Be absolutely miserable in the hospital bed, knowing that every single movement I make caused more pain than the last..." Melicia murmured with regret. "And I'd be afraid that my father would be coming home eventually and the boys wouldn't be able to protect me... And, I should really be visiting her, Uncle Howie."

"That's my Mella," Howie sighed softly, kissing her forehead. "So you'll come see her tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I will. It'll give me a chance to get out of the house. But, you'll probably want some alone time with her, so I'll go afterwards?"

"Sounds like a plan," he yawned a little, stretching. "I'm gonna go head to bed. I'll see you in the morning?"

"More like afternoon, but yeah."

"Okay. Goodnight, Mella."

"I love you, Uncle Howie!"

"Love you more, Sweetie." he walked back and hugged her.

"Did I ever tell you that you're a pretty awesome parent?" she asked, squeezing him tightly with her good arm.

"To be honest, no... but it would ne nice to hear it more often," Howie replied, kissing her cheek before they let go.

"You're a pretty awesome parent, Uncle Howie."

"And you're a pretty awesome kid, Niece Mella."

Melicia grinned as Howie kissed her forehead once more and then hurried up the stairs. She knew he was anxious to let the days pass, because Ana would most likely be discharged from the hospital at the end of the week. Howie had a strong attachment to Ana and Melicia couldn't have wished for anything better. She made a mental note to pick up a few things for Ana before visiting tomorrow, then she listened to the faint sound of a shower. An evil smirk embellished the sapphire color of Melicia's eyes as she hurried up the stairs. "Time to torture Alex," she sang softly.

*~*~*

Ana shifted uncomfortably in her bed as she watched Howie slip in her door. She had managed to make all the boys go to school that day to catch up. They were hesitant at first, but then promised to be back as soon as possible. Ana didn't mind being alone for the day, because she had time to contemplate her situation. But, for the current hours, Ana had been busy typing with her left hand all the homework she needed to accomplish to graduate on time. She didn't even know if she'd be going back to school within the month, knowing the extent of her injuries. She glanced up admist her thoughts, noticing Howie just standing there. "You should have said hello, it's not nice to stare," Ana murmured, transfixed on her Anatomy and Physiology Book that sat off to the side. She would have the teachers stop by and give her the tests she missed whenever she got out of the hospital.

"Sorry, Baby. Couldn't help but stare at you," Howie replied as he sat down in the chair next to her bed.

"I get enough from the doctors. I think they honestly want to take me to a psych-ward or something. They have a hard enough time beliving that I suffered such severe injuries yet I didn't seem to memorize my attacker's face."

"How are you feeling?" Howie countered, not really wanting to talk about her father. Every time they did, a fight ensued with vengence. Howie had no clue how he would solve the issue and prayed to God every night for an answer.

"Sore and tired," she answered honestly.

"I could give you a back massage if you want," Howie offered, knowing Ana wouldn't take a rest if he told her to.

"You would have to be careful, my back's still tender."

"I would always be careful with you... but if you want, I could just massage your shoulders."

"That sounds nice, thank you," Ana answered softly, leaning forward gently so Howie could ease behind her. It was hard for her to move with the immobilizer strapped on her leg to prevent movement and the cast adhered to her dominant hand. Howie placed his hands on her shoulders and slowly started to knead the knots of tension in her muscles.

"Thank you so much," Ana breathed deeply, closing her eyes as her shoulders slumped forward with relief. Everything had weighed heavily on her shoulders. She had cried herself to sleep that night when Kieran had drifted off, fearing that Melicia still hated her. Everything was adding up with a fevered pace. Between the attack, her father, Howie, and Melicia - things were just unraveling.

"You're welcome, Ana. I'll do this for you whenever you need it," Howie whispered, kissing the nape of her neck as he continued to massage her shoulders. He knew she was under a lot of stress and just hoped Melicia's visit would help.

"I love you a lot," she told him quietly, feeling his knee press slightly into the small of her back. She took a deep breath, knowing that the back of her hospital gown was open so he could view her back if he chose to.

"I love you more," he contradicted with a smile, concentrating on massaging her shoulders rather than looking at the welts on her back. He didn't want to think about what her father had done. He just wanted to think about them being together.

"Okay, you can love me more," she laughed softly, drifting into a peaceful state as Howie's hands softly worked her delicate skin.

"Good," he chuckled, his hands going up and down her neck, being careful not to hit the bruises near the front. "Are you getting caught up in your schoolwork?"

"Yeah, takes awhile to type with my left hand, but it's getting done. I'll call the teachers when I get back home to set up times to take all my tests. They'll help out, because they're used me being out with injuries. I'm just afraid that I won't make it back to school before graduation, depending on how fast the doctors can get me back on my leg..."

Howie's heart broke a little at the regret and sadness in Ana's voice. "I'm sure you'll make it to graduation, Sweetheart."

"I just really want that Valedictorian title... I want to be able to stand up in front of the class and recieve it, you know? Make Momma proud, because I followed in her footsteps."

"I know you'll make Valedictorian, Ana. You've worked so hard for it and you deserve it."

"There's a difference between working hard for it and actually graduating."

"There would be no reason why you can't get Valedictorian and graduate."

"I might not even be able to walk down to even present my speech--oh--just forget it."

Howie sighed heavily, not pressing the subject. He didn't want to fight, so just continued working her muscles. "Who's coming to stay with you tonight?"

"Riley, he's bringing some massive horror movies. Said I need to endulge in the best of Anatomy and Physiology by watching organs and muscles being torn by various lumbering objects," Ana answered. "What are you and Melicia doing tonight?"

"I don't know, really. I know Mella was talking about getting some movies as well, making me and AJ suffer by watching romance. I'm thinking she got 'The Princess Diaries' so she can tease us about singing on it."

"Her and I are definitely not alike," Ana murmured somewhat dejectedly. Her friendships with girls never usually lasted, because it was hard for Ana to relate with them. Maybe it was for the best to let Melicia drift away.

"Maybe not in everything, but you're still my best friend!" A voice called from the doorway.

"Say-huh?" Ana countered with surprise, glancing upward. She was surprised to find Melicia in her doorway. Her good hand held a big bag filled with various gifts. Ana raised her light blonde eyebrows in surprise. "Aren't you supposed to be at home resting?"

"You know me. I always do the exact opposite I'm told," Melicia gave an impish smile as she walked over to Ana's bed.

"I guess so, but why aren't you with AJ?" Ana asked, feeling Howie slide away from her.

"Couples can't be together all the time, Banana. I would have killed Alex by now if we did that. Besides, I felt really bad about not visiting you... and I should have been here the day after you woke up. I'm sorry, Ana. It was really shitty of me not to come here sooner."

"I didn't care," Ana bluffed, not wanting to express any emotional downfall. She didn't want to feel foolish about something so idiotic.

"Anastacia, don't lie."

"It wasn't a big deal. The guys were here to keep me company. Yeah, I noticed that you weren't here, but it was for good reason. I mean, you had just as bad a time in the hospital as I am right now. I understand."

"Yeah, but you're in the hospital because of me. You saved my life and I didn't even come here to see you and thank you."

"I didn't save your life. I did what anyone else would have done. I don't need a thank you."

A chuckle escaped Melicia's lips as she smiled, taking various gifts out of the bag. "Don't even start by saying you deserve any of these, because you do."

Ana groaned openly as Melicia seated herself next to the bed. Melicia quickly cleared away Ana's homework from the moveable tray table and set several gifts in the homework's place. Ana glanced up to Howie to see him smirking with approval. Ana's cheeks blushed a furious red. "Tell her to take them back, Howie," Ana requested, not wanting to be spoiled. It was her fault she was in the hospital, so she shouldn't be rewarded.

"I can't tell the girl what to do, Baby. She's like her mom and won't listen to me. Just say thank you, because you know she won't stop bugging you until you accept the gifts."

"Howie, please, tell her I don't want them," Ana whimpered.

"Mella, she doesn't want the presents," Howie replied, humoring Ana. He knew that Melicia wouldn't cave in and take the gifts back.

"Uncle Howie, you may love her, but I'm making her take the gifts, even if I have to tell the guys to force her. So, why don't you go downstairs and get a cup of coffee or whatever old men get to eat and let me having some private time with my best friend," Melicia commented with a sly smile.

Howie raised an eyebrow. "I am not an old man, thank you very much. But I will go to the caf and get something to eat."

"You're going to leave me here alone with this girly piranha that wants to chew my flesh to pieces with lipstick if I don't take her gifts?" Ana exclaimed, her blue-green eyes sparking with disbelief.

"No, I'm going to leave you here with my niece who will attack you with blush and lipstick if you don't accept her gifts," Howie teased, kissing Melicia's forehead then leaning down to brush a kiss over Ana's messy blonde curls.

"Nice, real nice," Ana murmured as Howie disappeared out the door. She felt her heart flutter for a brief moment as she focused back on Melicia. "Look, I'll accept your gifts on one condition..."

"What's that?" Melicia asked with curiosity, sitting on the edge of the bed. Her ribs were healed now, all she needed was to regain the use of her shoulder.

"Sign the stupid cast?" Ana pondered sweetly, offering a black marker and gently lifting her purple cast to the table.

"Of course I will," she replied with a smile, grabbing the marker. "Good thing I'm able to use my right hand to sign your cast."

"How is your shoulder? Did physical therapy start making you use it a little bit?" Ana asked, feeling Melicia press lightly on the cast to script a long message.

"Yeah, a little. Hurts afterwards, but that's expected. Right, Nurse Ana?" Melicia teased as she continued to write.

"Doctor Lord, dork," Ana countered.

Melicia blushed. "Sorry, sorry. Bad memory of mine, you know that, geek."

"But yeah, it'll hurt afterwards. I bet after next week, they'll make you take off the sling," Ana answered, knowing Melicia was just dying to get back to her previous status.

"Thank God," Melicia sighed happily. "It's so hard to give AJ the cookie with this sling on--"

"Clicky, I love you to death, but don't tell me about your sex life," Ana interupted, holding her mouth as if she were getting ill.

"Sorry, sorry," she laughed as she placed the cap back on the marker.

Ana offered a kind smile, thankful that Melicia had taken the time to visit. She was also thankful that Melicia had countered with questions about Ana's sex life, because she would never hear the end. She sighed softly, bringing her cast to rest against her chest. "So, what'd you get me?"

"I knew you would be asking about it," Melicia chuckled. She pointed to a square package. "Open that one first."

"I'm only asking because there's no way on God's Green Earth that you'll ever consent to me saying no to presents," Ana declared, carefully settling the heavy square onto her lap. She tore gently into the paper, opening the box to reveal several sets of Backstreet Boys CDs, not one CD missing from the entire set, imported to recent. Ana glanced up with confusion. "Do you want my ears to bleed?"

"Trust me, you'll love these. I've been hearing all this since I was born. You'll understand why Uncle Howie and the guys do what they do and why. Have you ever heard any of their songs?"

"No, every time they came on the radio, the guys switched me to Eminem or Country. Sorry," Ana answered, carefully sifting through the large pile of CDs, watching the changing looks as the dates passed between CDs.

"It's alright. A lot of guys don't like this kind of music," Melicia shrugged with a smile. "But I thought that since you're dating Uncle Howie now, it would be good to brush up and hear how they sound."

"Why? I'm dating your Uncle, not his music career," Ana countered, feeling a little embarrassed at the bluntness of their conversation. She could only remember Melicia's bitter words on Ana's relationship with Howie.

"He's going to think I'm an idiot when he comes in here and sees all these CDs!"

"Oh, he will not! I'm the one who bought them, okay? He'll think it's sweet, anyways."

"Sweet?" Ana countered, wrinkling her nose in distaste.

"Yes, I used profanity," Melicia laughed, rolling her eyes. "What are you going to do about it?"

"Why would it be sweet?"

"Because it is. Like when Uncle Howie learned how to surf because it was your passion. His is singing and now you have all the CD's so you can hear what he loves to do."

"I'll listen to them tonight when Riley drifts off," Ana promised softly, deciding that if Howie would risk his neck surfing, she could risk her ears at listening to the music. She looked on the bright side, knowing that she might actually like what she listened to.

"Good. Now open the other ones."

"This is quite enough, Melicia," Ana sighed.

Melicia's eyes grew wide. "Whoa. You've never called me Melicia before."

"Sorry, I just don't think you should spend your money on me. The CDs are enough."

"Please, don't worry about it. Open the other ones up."

Ana reached for the next box, opening it carefully with her good hand. She wrinkled her nose in surprise as she noticed the second box was filled with Backstreet Boys DVDs. "Clicky! What are these for?"

"There are moments in there that will give you enough ammunition on Uncle Howie and the guys until the end of time," Melicia laughed, her eyes twinkling.

"I don't want any ammunition. I don't think they're going to be as close to me as they are to you."

"Ana, all the guys think of you as part of the family! Hell, Nick has been bugging Uncle Howie let him date you instead."

"Nick wants to date me?" Ana laughed.

"Yeah, Uncle Howie wasn't too pleased when he said that," Melicia replied, laughing.

"Nick is more my age..." Ana trailed with laughter. "Although, that'll be good ammunition when Howie questions me on how I'm initiated into the band..."

Melicia raised an eyebrow as she handed Ana another gift. "What do you mean?"

"Riley, Amos, Pierce, Dominic, and Kieran want to get this band started, but they want me to join. First they joked about me being the surfer chick with the tamborine, shaking my ass to the beat. Howie heard that and absolutely flipped. Then when he was here the other day the guys said I have to wear a skimpy bikini to practice if I want to sing Meatloaf. Well, the first week that I join into practice, they have rituals. It's all stupid stuff that we do, but it's funny as Hell."

"Stupid stuff like what?" Melicia asked, watching Ana hesitate on the gift.

"Skinny dipping in the ocean, five guys and one girl date, strip poker, just you know, stupid stuff," Ana explained. "I remember it was the first time that they practiced and it was right after September Eleventh. I was feeling a little gloomy, so they decided that it was ritual time. We all lined up with lipstick on our butts saying: Osama Can Kiss Our Ass. That was the first band ritual, but they're will be plenty more when I offically join."

"Oh yeah, I saw that picture."

"You saw it?"

"I hope you won't get upset, but... the guys and I went over to your house to get your clothes, pictures and cedar chest so we could make your room at my house more cozy."

"I guess not..." Ana trailed, knowing her father would be furious if he went into her room and discovered her things missing.

"I'm sorry--"

"I'm not," Ana replied quickly, offering a smile. "The stuff in my cedar chest never gets a chance to see daylight, because of Dad and all... But at your house, I know that I'll be able to view them without any problems. Thanks for going over there. It must have been a lot of trouble."

"The maids just let us in without asking questions... they were too busy cleaning..."

"Cleaning the blood?" Ana guessed. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

"It's alright... I just couldn't believe that they would just clean it all up and not call the police on your dad--"

"My Dad pays the checks, Clicky. They can't refuse that money and Dad would probably turn around and slap a slander lawsuit on them or something. It's complicated."

"He has that much power?"

"He has a lot of things."

Melicia sighed as she ran a hand through her curls. "Yeah, I'm learning that he does."

"Don't give me a lecture like Howie does. Everything's going to be fine. I'm going to get the stupid cast off, get the immobilizer off, walk down the graduation isle, go to Duke, and be safe."

"I'm not going to lecture you. This is girl time, and that's what it's going to be. Now hurry up and open your other presents before I do for you," she replied, handing Ana two more packages.

"What else could you possibly give me," Ana complained, opening the first package. It held many pairs of different boxers, with creative designs from rubber duckies to hot fudge sundaes.

"Uncle Howie told me you were complaining about changing clothes because of that iron cage around your leg. So I thought you would like some boxers to lounge around in until it comes off."

"These look comfy. Thank you."

"You're welcome," Melicia smiled as she watched Ana picked up one that chili peppers all over them. "I got those because of Uncle Howie being the Latin Lover and all."

"What does his nickname have to do with me getting chili peppers on boxers?" Ana asked in confusion.

Melicia shrugged. "It's part of our heritage, the whole spicy food stuff. And I know that he thinks you're MUCHO CALIENTE!"

"Are you trying to get me laid or something?" Ana teased.

"Wouldn't you like to know," she laughed. "Open the last one."

You'd be a little late. Ana thought to herself with her characteristic impish grin. She carefully started to peel away the layers of paper.

Ana opened the large box to see there was a small square box inside. Taking it out, she looked at Melicia with curiosity. "What is this?"

"Just open the box."

"Clicky," she groaned, opening the box. Her eyes grew wide as she looked at the necklace nestled in the velvet. It was silver and a music note pendant sparkled with small diamonds.

"It's from me and Uncle Howie. We both think you sing like an angel, no matter what your Dad says. You should sing because it makes you happy. And it makes me and Uncle Howie happy to hear you sing," Melicia blurted before Ana could refuse.

"I can't accept this..." Ana whispered, handing back the small box.

"Please take it, Ana. We want you to have it," Melicia replied, taking Ana's hand and placing the box in it.

"That's just too much..."

"Nothing's too much when it comes to friends."

"Melicia, really, I can't," Ana protested again as she heard the door open. She glanced to see Howie standing there with two sodas for the girls. She looked to him with a helpless sense of distress. "I can't accept this. Tell her I can't accept this."

He walked over and saw it was the necklace. Setting the sodas down, he took the box and pulled out the necklace. "I can't tell her that because I want you to wear this, Sweetheart."

"I don't want that, it's too expensive."

"It's not too expensive for someone as important as you," Howie countered softly, winking toward his niece. He leaned over Ana, gently clasping the silver necklace around her slim neck. He smiled as the musical note glittered with the beautiful gems. "It was made for you, Ana."

"Howie, I---"

"You're welcome."

"That's not what I was going to say," she protested.

"Were you going to say 'I love the necklace, thank you'?"

"I was going to say that you're both a pain in my ass."

"But you love us!" Melicia chirped.

"No doubt about it," Ana replied shyly, bringing her good hand up to the dainty necklace. She took a deep breath, trying to accept their thoughtfullness. She was used to it with the boys, but she had known them forever. She wasn't used to the special treatment when she was to blame. "Thank you, though."

"You're welcome," Howie replied, kissing her softly.

"Not in front of Melicia!" Ana blurted, shyly turning away from Howie with blushing cheeks when the kiss ended.

"I think it's cute!" Melicia objected.

"Clicky, on my side!" Ana laughed.

"Not when it comes to this!" She grinned.

Ana rolled her eyes, knowing it was useless. She felt Howie gently sit down beside her on the bed. She carefully pushed the DVDs and CDs into Melicia's lap, obviously telling her to hide them. Ana kept Howie's attention by holding up the pair of hot chili pepper boxers. "Do you know why she gave me these?"

Howie raised his eyebrows. "No, I don't... what was her reason for that style?"

"Because she said that your the Latin Lover of the group..." Ana trailed mischeviously, smiling impishly. "Mind telling me what the Hell these boxers have to do with your past love life?"

Howie's face turned a little red as he gave his niece a look. Melicia merely shrugged with a grin on her face. "Well, I always say that I like my salsas hot and spicy just like my women. I'm thinking that Mella got you those because of that. And... well... I have those exact boxers at home."

"Oh really?" Ana replied with a curious look.

"Yeah. That's what the chili peppers mean."

"So, am I like your salsa?"

"My hot and spicy salsa," he replied with a smile, kissing her again.

"Damn, and I thought she was just trying to get me laid!" Ana sighed with defeat, merely teasing.

"Didn't we..." Howie's voice trailed as Melicia's eyes grew wide with obvious interest. Howie's cheeks turned bright red as he busied himself with fixing the necklace around Ana's neck. "You don't want to have sex till your married, so of course the boxers aren't going to mean that, because I respect your space."

"Got you," Ana laughed, feeling his fingers trace gently on her neck.

"Uncle Howie's blushing," Melicia replied in a sing song tone.

"He always blushes," Ana told Melicia.

"Runs in the family," he mumbled, kissing Ana's neck.

Ana laughed softly, reaching her good hand up to run her fingers through Howie's curls. She glanced toward Melicia with curiousity. "Howie told me that your making him and AJ watch romance movies tonight."

Melicia grinned. "Yup! I don't think you've seen 'The Princess Diaries', but the guys sing a song in there. So we're going to watch that along with 'The Princess Bride' and 'Robin Hood: Prince Of Theives'."

"Wow, nothing I've ever seen before, have fun, Sweetheart," Ana cooed toward Howie.

He made a face. "Oh yeah... load of fun with the lovebirds."

"I get a fun night with Riley and probably a magazine filled with bikinis that he wants me to buy."

"Didn't we already go through the whole bikini episode?" Howie groaned, knowing it was trouble.

"We've only just begun," Ana laughed.

"With Ana and the boys it never ends," Melicia teased.

"Just wait till I have band practice with them," Ana encouraged, smirking toward Melicia. The girls had one thing in common - they knew how to drive Howie insane.

"They'll be going crazy in that little bikini you have -- shaking your booty as you sing Meatloaf."

"Drool cups will need to be applied before every practice, not to mention the after practice strip poker... Then the guys made this new rule about each week the bikini has to get skimpier and skimpier," Ana trailed, glancing to Howie.

"Wait... Skimpier?" Howie choked with worry.

"You remember when I told you about that piece of string? Well, the guitar bikini is to start out with, by the end of the summer, the string will be what I'm wearing," Ana teased, watching Melicia muffle a giggle.

"What? No way in Hell am I going to have my girlfriend wear a string with all those boys--"

"We could talk them into two strings, Uncle Howie," Melicia suggested.

"No. She's not going to wear strings."

"You're not going to be at the practice, Howie. You could just imagine me in this huge t-shirt," Ana decided.

"And you can just imagine me running in the middle of it all to cover you up."

"Practice switches between all the guys' houses, you won't know which one we're at."

Howie was about to say something when Melicia interrupted him. "Uncle Howie, do you really think she'll be wearing strings by that time?"

"By what time?" Howie asked in confusion, still trying to swallow his anger.

"The end of the summer, before we head off to Duke!"

"I don't know anymore about her..." Howie trailed, glancing wearily toward his girlfriend.

"I love you," Ana stated sweetly.

"I love you, too." Howie leaned down and kissed her again. He knew she had power over him with the simplest things.

"I'm just wearing my bikinis that I like. I'm picking out a couple more because that's what I do during summer. I like having different bikinis to surf with. That's all I meant, but Clicky and I love teasing you, Sweetheart," Ana explained softly, allowing Howie's curls to wind around her index finger.

"Yeah, I know you two love that," Howie chuckled, resting his chin on her shoulder and kissed her cheek.

"I'll let you pick out a bikini or two if you like, as long as you promise not to wear it," Ana teased.

"Ew, that was gross," Melicia made a face.

"The thought of Howie wearing a bikini?" Ana laughed, crinkling her own nose. "Dude, he'd definitely need a wax..."

"Ouch! No way! Uh-uh!" Howie objected, wincing.

"Definitely not a plesant image," Melicia agreed, holding her mouth.

"Then why doesn't he just pick out my bikinis?" Ana asked.

"Can I?"

"Do you want to?" Ana replied with a smile.

Howie grinned, nodding with excitement. "Yes, please."

"Melicia, can you grab the magazine on the bedside table?" Ana asked, watching Melicia lean over to grab the magazine. Ana smiled as she handed the thick magazine toward Howie. "Now you can enjoy your romance movie night with Clicky and AJ. But if Clicky tells me that you made a face at any time during the night because of their kissing, I'm cutting out a bikini," Ana teased.

"But--" he stopped, knowing that Melicia would tell Ana if he did that. "Alright, I won't make faces."

"Just enjoy yourself tonight, okay?"

"I will. You and Riley have fun, too."

"Fun fun, right Clicky?" Ana laughed.

"Oh, totally. Especially watching people get eaten and blown up in those movies. You'll be able to ace the AP test after watching those."

"Make sure you at least try to come back and visit with me till I'm discharged on Saturday, okay?" Ana decided, immedaitely shifting the conversation.

"Of course I will. I'm going to make sure you've been doing what I asked with the presents," Melicia replied, smiling as she leaned down and kissed Ana's cheek.

"What is she supposed to be doing with what presents?" Howie asked curiously.

"She got me lotion and stuff. Wants to make sure I'm at least trying to be somewhat of a girl before she bombards me in the life of girl-dom at your house," Ana explained quickly.

"Yeah, she's going to have plenty of ammunition to throw at me when she gets out of here," Melicia replied.

"What ammunition?" Howie asked again.

"Uncle Howie, it's a girl thing, you wouldn't get it," Melicia rolled her eyes playfully. "Now kiss your girlfriend so we can let her relax before Riley gets here."

"Yeah, I'm going to need some energy before Riley gets here with his stack of strip poker cards..." Ana trailed as she watched Howie frown. She rolled her eyes. "Baby, I'm kidding. When are you coming to visit again?"

"I was thinking tomorrow afternoon."

"You don't have to come that early."

"Would it be so hard to say 'Okay, Howie. I'll see you tomorrow'?" He teased.

"The first time I didn't argue, you looked at me like I was diseased. I asked you if you'd like me any better without the fight, and you said that's what makes me cute. So, why should I disappoint you?" she impishly replied.

Howie just smiled, kissing her deeply. "I love you."

"Okay, Howie, I'll see you tomorrow," she answered.

He rolled his eyes, chuckling. "NOW you say that after I get all gushy with 'I love you'."

"Gushy, huh? That's gushy?"

"Gushy, mushy, lovey dovey? I don't know, you're confusing me," Howie whined.

"You better get him home before he pops a blood vessel, Clicky. This medicine smell might be getting to him," Ana whispered loudly.

"I think I might need to," Melicia laughed as she got up and tugged on Howie's arm. "C'mon, Uncle Howie. Romance movies await!"

"Bye, Sweetheart," Ana called softly, reaching again for her homework.

"Bye, Angel," Howie replied as he kept looking at Ana while Melicia dragged him to the door. They door closed and Ana was into the homework again when it opened and his head popped inside. "I love you!"

Ana laughed, blowing him a kiss. "I love you, too."

He caught it and blew one back. "I'll see you tomorr--"

"Ay, yi, yi! Vamos, Uncle Howie!" Melicia's voice called from behind the door. She grabbed his collar and pulled him away from the door.

"I just wanted to tell her that I love---"

"She knows, trust me, she knows! Now stop driving her crazy!"

"Meli--"

"C'MON I WANT MY LOVING TOO!"

"Howie's grounded," Ana sang softly, hearing the bickering continue softly down the hallway.