- Text Size +
Author's note: More help from Alex on this chapter. Thanks, girl!


Howie ventured down the hallway towards Melicia's bedroom. He had returned to the living-room at the same moment as AJ was taking his seat again and the younger man told him his niece really needed to see him. His heart pumped madly in his chest at the sorrow etched across AJ's face and it still pumped just as fast as he raised a fist to lightly knock on the closed doorway. "Mella, baby?" he spoke, opening the door wide enough for him to slip in and close it quietly behind himself. He looked to see his niece lying upon her bed, pillow hugged tightly to her chest, and her back facing her uncle.

"Uncle Howie, do you think Mama felt anything as the tower collapsed?" Melicia's voice broke as she spoke and Howie could the tears already pouring again. "Do you think she was thinking of me?"

Howie sighed as he quickly made his way over to her bed and took a seat on the edge, reaching out a hand and rubbing her back in a soothing manner. "I don't know what she was thinking," he tried to answer to the best of his ability, biting down on his bottom lip to keep hold of his emotions for Melicia's sake. "But I like to think that you were the only thing on her mind, that she was only thinking about you and how much she was going to miss you."

"I miss her too," Melicia whispered. "I just wish she and Daddy weren't taken from me. They won't be able to see what I do as I grow up."

"Yes they will, Mella," Howie answered, pulling Melicia in for a tight hug. "They will be able to see everything you do, just in a different way then the rest of us will."

"I hope so," she replied, tears falling down from her tightly closed eyes. They let go, wiping away their tear streaked faces. "I really do."

"They're watching you right now," Howie whispered. "And everywhere you go, they'll be watching you and looking out for you."

Melicia nodded, calming herself down. "Thank you for being there, Uncle Howie. It means so much to me, even if I was a little brat when you told me I had to move to Florida with you..."

Howie shook his head softly, squeezing Melicia's hand in reassurance. "You don't have to apologize for that because I would have reacted the same way," he explained, "I don't think I really took your feelings into full consideration."

Melicia nodded a second time, looking around her room in sadness. She attempted to smile, even though it came out rather crooked. "Maybe this move will be good for me. Who knows, I might even find a surfer boyfriend."

"Now wait just a minute. No good for nothing surfer boy is going to date my niece unless I meet him first and give him the ok and-"

"Uncle Howie!"

Howie chuckled sheepishly. "Sorry..."

"God, you're already acting like my parent and it hasn't even been a month," Melicia shook her head, trying to keep a straight face. "Instead of a surfer, what about one of the guys from N*SYNC--"

"Melicia..."

"Well, it was worth a shot!"

"Not for my niece, no. I'd much rather you stick with the..." Howie cringed, "surfer boys."

Melicia just laughed, feeling better by the minute. "Can I go out tonight with my friends since we have to leave for Florida in two days? Please?"

"Of course you can. As long as you-"

"Check in at least once and check in if I'm going to stay out later then ten, which I won't. I will also give you a call to let you know if plans change and who I'm with, what I will be doing, and if I get in trouble."

"Which you won't."

"Of course not. At least, nothing too bad that you won't be able to bail me out of."

"Mella," Howie warned.

"Just kidding. I promise I'll be safe and I will call you to check in. Deal?"

Howie smiled at his niece, knowing she deserved to spend as much time as she possibly could before he was forced to snatch her away from the only place she had been able to call home. "Deal," he replied, brushing away a few stray tears from her cheek. "Do you need money?"

"Well, now that you mention it... could I borrow some? Once I get a job down in Florida, I'll pay you back," Melicia offered.

"How much do you need?"

"Forty should be good. Unless you think that's not enough..." Melicia gave a sly smile.

"Ah, I know that smile. I think forty is just fine," Howie chuckled, pulling out his wallet and handing her two twenty dollar bills. "Do you need one of us to drive you to a friend's house?"

"Could you?"

"No problem. When do you want to leave?"

"Can you give me about 15 minutes? I need to change and then give my friend a call."

Howie nodded, kissing Melicia's cheek before leaving the room. The fellas looked up at him as he sat down next to Brian.

"Is Mella okay?" AJ asked.

"She will be...eventually," Howie answered, leaning back into the couch and resting his eyes. All he wanted to do was cry.

*****

"Mel, come on. It's not a party unless you have an itty-bitty drink," her friend Derek pressed, placing a cup in Melicia's hand. She and her girlfriends Stacey, Karen and Brianna were at a party in a small house down the street from her apartment complex. She wasn't planning on drinking, but after being nagged by Derek and others, Melicia finally gave in. Taking a sip, all the breath left her as she coughed hard. Derek patted her back gently. "I'm sorry, forgot to tell you it was strong."

"No shit," Melicia gasped, eyes watering. "But this is good stuff."

"That's my Mel!" Derek hooted, kissing her cheek. She grinned as he left to talk to other people.

"Don't drink that too fast now, Mel!" Stacey warned, watching with wonder as Melicia took another gulp. "What is it anyway?"

"I don't know," Melicia shrugged, "But it's good."

"Here, let me taste it and I'll tell you," Brianna interjected and snatched the plastic cup out of Melicia's hand. She took a small sip. "It's coke and Captain Morgan's. Not bad. A bit strong but not bad. A couple of these and you'll be knocked off your butt for the rest of the night."

"Damn straight," Melicia took it back, taking another large gulp. "I'm really liking this drink. What was I thinking, not drinking tonight? This is my last night with you guys, I shouldn't be worried about getting caught by my Uncle Howie."

"Just take it easy, dude," Karen replied. "You don't want a hangover, trust me. I know from experience."

"I'm not going to get a hang over. I can hold my liquor just fine, thank you very much," Melicia boasted.

"Since when?" Karen laughed, "We have rarely seen you ever drink. I'd just watch how much you have tonight. If you wake up sick tomorrow, your uncle is going to know something is up. And you say he is a smart guy, so he'll probably be able to put one and one together."

"One and one equals..." Melicia scrunched up her face before chugging down her drink. "Eleven!"

"Mel, just slow down, ok?" Stacey asked before she walked off to get herself and the other girls a few drinks.

"Yes, ma'am," Melicia replied, going to another table and grabbed a cup. Sipping it, she found out this one was Bacardi Orange and Sprite. "Ooh, even better." In the middle of a big gulp, someone tapped her on the shoulder. Nearly choking on the liquid, she turned to see it was a guy she knew from school named Scott.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you, Melicia," he replied, running a hand through his blonde locks. He was one of the more popular guys at school, and knew it.

"Oh, it's alright, Scott. Almost inhaled my drink, that's all," Melicia replied before taking a gulp.

"What kind is it?"

"Bacardi Orange and Sprite."

"I got something even better," he took her cup and handed her another. "Try this."

"Alright," Melicia took a sip and exhaled loudly. "WHOA, that's really good! What is it?"

"Hypnotic and Hennessy. Just take that cup, I'll get another. Stay around, okay? I wanna talk to you some more," he gave her a flashing smile and left.

Melicia shrugged and made her way over to the nearest couch that thankfully wasn't occupied by anyone at the moment. She plopped down and cradled her cup carefully in her lap, feeling the depression kick in further as realized fully that at this time two days from then she would be saying goodbye to the only home she ever knew.

"Hey, I thought I said don't move," Scott joked as he appeared beside her.

"I didn't move far, just decided I wanted to sit down," Melicia shot back. "It didn't hurt you to walk a few extra feet, did it?"

"Alright, alright. Just making a joke," he replied, sitting down. "No need to get snappy."

Melicia sighed, taking a sip from her drink. "I'm sorry, Scott. It's just that I'm moving to Florida in two days and it's not something I'm looking forward to. New York has been my home for as long as I can remember. Feeling kinda depressed right now."

"I heard about your mom. Sorry about that," Scott replied, slouching in his seat. "That's gotta be hard and I know how you feel. My mom died when I was-"

"I really don't wanna talk about it at the moment," Melicia interrupted.

"Okay, no problem." Scott shurgged his shoulders. He held up his drink and joking gave her cup a tap in cheers for the party. "How are you feeling? You've been drinking like a pro tonight."

"Just trying to get drunk enough so I feel numb," Melicia replied.

"You know... I've got something that'll make you like that in an second that alcohol will take two hours."

Melicia raised her eyebrows in curiosity. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, hold on." Scott grinned and reached into the cargo pocket of his khakis. He pulled out a tiny plastic bag and a tiny pipe fixture. "Ever smoked?" he asked, holding the bag and pipe in view.

"I've smoked cigs two or three times-"

Scott laughed. "No, I'm talking about smoking pot. You know, weed?"

"Oh, nope, never had the opportunity." Melicia felt her cheeks turn crimson in color.

"Ok, so you say you want to feel numb and just kind of forget about everything for the night?" Scott rambled as he pinched some of the contents out of the plastic bag and pressed it into the rounded end of the ceramic smoke pipe. "Well, this should do the trick for you nicely," he continued, reaching back into his pocket and pulling out a lighter. "Care to give it a try?"

Melicia hesitated.

"I swear, you'll feel better as soon as you try it."

"Fine, hand it over."

"Whoa, fiesty are we," Scott laughed.

Melicia glared in response as she took the pipe and light. "So, how the Hell am I supposed to do this?" she inquired, knowing that if her uncle ever found out, she'd be in deep. But at that moment, she didn't really care.

"Hold the pipe at a slanted angle up to your lips, then slowly brush the flame over the shavings a couple of times. Suck deeply as you do so and when you can't suck any more, bring the pipe away from your mouth and inhale slowly. Got it?"

Melicia nodded as she lit up the marijuana and inhaled deeply. She removed the pipe from her mouth and carefully let it go into her lungs. The drug rushed through her bloodstream and made her feel no more emotions as the smoke slowly escaped her lips. "Holy shit, this is good!"

"Damn, girl! You're a natural!" Scott laughed as he took the pipe and lit up.

Maybe if you would have given me the time of day in school, you would have realized I'm not so bad. Melicia thought hatefully as Scott offered the pipe and lighter again, but she plastered a smile on her face, accepting both items. Scott could gloat all he wanted about thinking he was taking advantage of her, but it wouldn't matter anymore in two days. She would never see nor talk to Scott again once she moved to Florida and he was the one being fooled anyways. He was just too drugged to see it. Melicia lit up the end again, inhaling.

"Mel! What are you doing?!" Stacey exclaimed, suddenly strolling up to the couch rather fast-paced. Her face was masked in confusion and most of all surprise.

"I'm having fun!" Melicia answered as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, but Stacey was not buying. She didn't appear to be very thrilled either, which left Scott smirking at his own end of the couch.

"Mel, you don't wanna be messing with that stuff," Stacey spoke sharply, shooting a tight glare towards the jock who seemed to be rather amused at the minute. She looked back to Melicia. Stacey knew her friend was going through a rough time, but also knew that she was smarter then to make a stupid decision like this. Melicia's emotions were too vulnerable to be toyed with and that was exactly what was happening here.

"Chill out, Stace. It's not like I'm going to get hooked after only doing this once," Melicia shrugged off her friend's concern. "I think I deserve to have a little fun while I'm still here."

"But weed? Girl, your uncle is going to kill you!"

"My uncle isn't going to find out! He's not my father, or my mother!"

Stacey stepped back for a moment as the booming music in the background seemed to get louder and tears quickly sprang to Melicia's eyes. "Mel, I know he's not. And please, c'mon. Bria and Karen are beginning to think you are abandoning us tonight. And for Scott Reese of all people? C'mon, girl! I thought you had better taste then that!"

"What's better taste than me?" Scott snapped, noticing his name was mentioned. "Star of the basketball team and most popular guy in school. Sounds like the ideal guy."

"No, an ideal guy isn't stupid enough to fucking smoke weed and make vulnerable girls smoke it, too!" Stacey shouted, ready to get into a fight if she needed to.

"Oh back the Hell off bitch," Scott scuffed. "I think Melicia's old enough to make her own decisions."

"Don't call my friend a bitch, asshole!" Melicia spoke up.

"No, Mel, don't! He's not worth it!" Stacey gritted, grabbing Melicia's wrist as her friend attempted to lunge at the idiot in front of them.

"Oh, yes he is! He hasn't noticed me ever in school and by the time he does, I'm leaving anyways! Let me go!" Melicia growled, trying to get out of Stacey's grasp.

"Just ignore him and let's go check up on Karen and Bria!"

Melicia gave Scott a glare before following Stacey to another room. "Psycho bitches," he muttered loudly so Melicia heard him.

"No he didn't..." Melicia whispered, yanking her away from Stacey's grasp and sprinting out of the room, back through the gathering of people dancing to the music and socializing. "Hey SCOTT!"

"Come back for more, huh?" he cackled.

"No, but I came back to do THIS-" Melicia swung her fist towards Scott's face, feeling an instant contact between her fist and his nose. "To your sorry ass!"

"SHIT! The cops!"

Before Melicia had time to react, everyone present was rushing past her towards the back door. "What is going on?" she tried yelling out, not catching a glimpse of Stacey, Karen, or Brianna anywhere.

"Someone called the fucking cops!" Derek yelled as he flew past.

"Shit, shit, shit!" Melicia swore, trying to find her friends. "Karen! Where are you guys?!"

"Anyone still in the house, do not leave!" A deep voice commanded as flashlights coursed through the house. Melicia booked it for the back door and was almost there when she tripped on an end table and crashed to the floor.

"I don't think you are going anywhere, miss."

Melicia looked up to see a large man towering over her, police uniform and all. She was dead meat now.

*****

AJ sighed as he leaned back in the lazy boy recliner, catching a glimpse of the clock on the wall. Judging by the fact that his butt had long since went numb, he knew he'd been in one position for quite a while and it was getting rather late. A few feet in front of him, Brian lay curled up in the fetal position, clinging a single blanket to him for warmth. Off to Brian's left, Nick was on his back, dead asleep with his mouth wide open and an arm fully extended away from his body. AJ cringed as the blonde let loose of a loud snore. Then AJ looked to see Kevin sleeping peacefully on the couch, two pillows stacked behind his head, and a blanket covering his body. He and Nick had fought several hours ago over who would be sleeping on the couch that night, with Kevin ultimately winning in the end. Howie had been the first one to retire for the night, though. He hadn't said much since returning from dropping Melicia off at her friend's house and they all knew why, but respected him enough to give him some space. Finally, Howie had just got up without saying a word and disappeared into Sarah's bedroom where AJ later found he had sobbed himself into a deep slumber. The sight had broken AJ's heart.

Now AJ was the only one awake to the world and he kept stealing glance between the tv and the clock. Melicia still had not returned home. It was nearing midnight and AJ had remembered Howie mentioning something that Melicia said she would be home around ten. But AJ hadn't even realized the time had passed by so quickly and ten o'clock had long since passed and there was still no sign of Melicia or even a phone call. AJ felt his heart skip a beat at the thought, knowing Melicia was pretty good and being home when she said she would be. So it couldn't be like her to stay out this late without checking in.

Out of nowhere, AJ felt a vibration in his jeans pocket. The surprise almost sent him falling out of the chair. He quickly got up and went into the kitchen so he wouldn't wake anyone up. "Hello?"

"Alex?" a timid voice called out. "Alex, it's me."

"Melicia? Where the Hell are you? It's getting late!" he whispered loudly.

There was hesitation on the other end and AJ almost wonder if Melicia had hung up, but then he heard a stiffled sob. "I-I need you to c-come get me," she stuttered.

"Honey, what happened? Where are you?" he asked, worried.

"Please don't tell Uncle Howie!"

"He's sleeping right now, so it's ok. Calm down, where are you?"

"I'matthepolicestation," she said quickly.

"Excuse me? You're where?"

"The police station..." Melicia sniffled.

"Mella... why are you there? I thought you were just hanging with your friends."

"Can you come g-get me, Alex? I want to come home!"

"Calm down hon."

"Please don't wake Uncle Howie up!"

"I won't, I promise. Just hang tight, I'll be right there."

AJ slapped his phone shut and shoved it back into his pocket. He jogged back into the living-room and spotted sight of the keys on the coffee table where he quickly hurried to pick them up. "J?" a disgruntled voice called out to him, making AJ jump as he was placing his jacket over his wife beater.

AJ looked to see Nick's eyes barely open and peering at him. "Go back to sleep, Nick," he instructed quietly.

"Gladly..." Nick mumbled almost incoherently and rolled over onto his stomach. He was out like a light again.

AJ sighed in relief and slipped out the door.

*****

AJ got out of the car and sprinted inside the large police station. For it being after midnight, this seemed to be the busy hour as he finally reached the front desk. "You... have a girl..." he panted. "named Melicia Dorough. Where is she?" A policewoman came out of an office, hearing Melicia's name.

"She's back here, sir."

AJ silently followed the lady, keeping his eyes straight past. She led him to a door with a fogged window, instructing him that she was inside, then allowed AJ into room. He jumped as the door was shut behind him, then looked to find Melicia seated in a chair at a table in the middle of the room. Dried tears streaked her face, but as soon as she saw AJ, they began to flow again.

"Alex, thank you so much for coming to get me and not telling Uncle Howie--"

"I know you're thankful. But tell me what the Hell happened, Melicia," AJ replied as he sat down in the chair across from her.

"Please don't get mad at me!"

"I'll judge whether or not I will once you tell me what happened."

"Well, the girls and I decided at the last moment to go to this huge party down by school. There was drinking, like always, but I told myself I wouldn't drink," she sighed heavily. "But I started thinking about my mom and got depressed. I thought that if I had a few drinks, the depression would go away."

AJ watched as Melicia quickly looked away in shame, "Melicia-"

"I didn't know things were going to get out of hand," Melicia continued to explain, staring down at her hands balling up the wrinkled tissue. "I just wanted to have some fun before Uncle Howie made me leave! I didn't know this would happen!" She looked up for a split second but quickly averted her eyes.

"How much did you-" AJ cut himself off in mid sentence. "Wait a minute...look at me for a second," he ordered softly and reached out to turn Melicia's face towards his. She tried to jerk away but he kept a firm grasp. He could tell she had been crying extensively, but the redness was to too much of extent to pass off as just a result from the tears. AJ felt his stomach curl. "Are you fucking stoned, Melicia?!" he blurted before he gave his words a second thought.

Melicia pulled herself from his grasp, knowing she was in deep trouble. "Not anymore!"

"Not anymore? NOT ANYMORE? Why were you in the first place?!"

"I don't know!"

"That isn't an answer damnit! What were you thinking?!"

"I was just trying to have fun before I have to leave! This guy from school said I would forget all my troubles and not feel anything. And that's all I've wanted since Mama died!"

"Marijuana isn't something to mess with! No drug is! And drinking won't make you forget your depression! It only makes it fucking worse!"

Melicia shrunk back as the tears seemed to fall harder. "I know, I know, I know! I'm sorry, it's not going to happen again, okay?"

AJ quickly brought Melicia into his arms, wrapping her in a tight embrace. "Mella...shhh, I didn't mean to yell. C'mon, it's ok..." he kissed the top of her head as she continued to cry into his shoulder. He hadn't meant to blow his top as badly as he just had, but the story coming from her scared the crap out of him and made him think of too many horrible things. "I'm sorry, Mella. Please, calm down."

"I-I-I-I didn't mean to do anything stupid," she hiccuped, finally calming down a little. "And I should have known better after what you told me when you got out of rehab, but... it was just so tempting, I couldn't help it. I'm sorry, Alex..."

"Shhh..."

"I didn't mean for it to happen!"

"Mella, it's ok. You just had me scared when you didn't arrive home when you said you would, and to find out what you were doing...God, you scared me to death! I don't want to see you make the same mistakes I did," he soothed in response to her tears. "It's not worth it, Mella. Trust me, it's not worth it."

"I know it's not... I'm never doing anything that stupid again," she whispered. "Can we go home now?"

"Promise you won't do it again," AJ pressed.

"I promise. Right now, I just want to sleep forever," she replied, putting a hand to her head. "I'm already getting a hangover."

"Welcome to the dealing with the consequences," AJ replied, helping Melicia stand up from her seat; he hugged her again. "Ok, let's go see what I have to do to get you out of here, and then get you home before your uncle wakes up and realizes you're not there yet."

*****

"I owe ya one for this," Melicia spoke quietly as they approached her apartment door. Her heart beat wildly just at the prospect of returning. She just wanted to make it to her bedroom and sleep the terrible night away.

"Yeah, you do," AJ joked and reached out for the door knob, allowing her in.

"Where the HELL have you been?" Howie growled the moment Melicia walked through the door, AJ following close behind. Both froze upon seeing four pairs of eyes gazing intently in their direction. Brian watched from where he sat in the recliner, Nick still on the floor, Kevin sitting on the couch and Howie next to him. AJ couldn't find the words to describe how Howie looked, but he could tell that Howie's eyes were burning so deeply with anger and worry as he sat there, elbows rested on his thighs, that even AJ was a tad bit afraid of him at the moment.

"Uncle Howie! I didn't know you were still up--"

"It's way past 10! Hell, now it's after 1 in the morning! Where were you all this time?" Howie interrupted, talking fast and fierce. He looked over at AJ, who was about to speak for Melicia's defense. "Don't even try to cover for her, Aje!"

"I was--" Melicia began but Howie interrupted her again.

"And don't you dare try to lie to me, Melicia Reneé! I swear to God, what the Hell were you thinking staying out this late? What am I supposed to think when you don't come home on time? Then I wake up to find you aren't here? Do you know what the Hell went through my head when I walked into your room to check on you and you weren't there?! You had me worried sick, Melicia!"

"I know, and I'm sorry! I was just with my friends, that's all!" she replied, her cheeks turning crimson as her uncle used her full name. "I'm not really going to see them again, and I was just having fun!"

"I told you not to lie to me," Howie answered, his voice lower then before.

"I'm not lying, Uncle Howie!"

"Then why did your friends call nearly an hour ago to make sure you got home alright?"

Melicia's jaw dropped. "Wh-who called?"

"Your Stacey, Karen, and Brianna. The friends you were supposidly with. So I suggest before you dig yourself deeper, start telling me the truth!"

"Well, I was with them earlier, that I'm not lying about! It's just.. well... the four of us went to a party--"

"A party?! You told me the four of you were heading to see a movie!"

"We were going to, but the plans changed and we went to the party. There was alcohol there and at first, I promised myself I wasn't going to drink. But... I started thinking about Mama and moving to Florida and I got really depressed. I thought that a few drinks wouldn't hurt."

"Not only did you lie to me about where you were going, but you went and got drunk! And don't deny it, because I can see it in your eyes and your demeanor!"

"I'm not going to deny that I got drunk, too."

"What do you mean, 'got drunk, too'?"

"I--" Melicia froze.

"You've got ten seconds to answer me!"

"Oh, shit... Uncle Howie, please promise you won't kill me," she pleaded, looking at Howie with fear in her eyes.

"Watch your language and answer me now!"

"No, promise me first!"

"You haven't given me a reason to promise you anything! Now I'm asking you for the last time, answer the question!"

"I smoked some weed, okay?! You know; pot, marijuana, ganja, dope--"

"What the Hell were you thinking?!"

"Obviously I wasn't thinking, okay?! Before I knew it, the cops busted the party. I tried to get out of there, but I tripped over an end table and was kinda... arrested..."

Howie jumped up from his seat. "YOU WERE WHAT?!"

Melicia took a step back. "Arrested?"

"D, c'mon--" AJ tried to intervene, but Howie shot him a death glare.

"Why didn't you wake me up to tell me my niece had been arrested?!"

"Because I knew this would be the way you would react. C'mon, man, the girl has learned her lesson. I know she won't do it again."

"You're damn right she won't do it again!" Howie growled. He pointed at Melicia. "Because as of right now, you've lost all of your privilages until I decide you are trustworthy enough to get them back!"

"Uncle Howie!"

"I don't want to hear another word from you tonight, I am so disappointed in you, Melicia! Just get to bed and I will deal with you further in the morning!" Howie gritted his teeth, inhaling a deep breath, and stormed off to Sarah's bedroom.

"Mella-" AJ tried.

"I hate him!!!" Melicia whispered and ran to her bedroom, the tears running down her cheeks.