- Text Size +
"I can't believe this is the last day here," Melicia sighed as she wrote 'Mella's Books' on top of three large boxes. "Didn't think I would move out until I was done with college."

"Feel lucky though. You'll be getting free room and board living with your uncle," Brian joked as he poked his head in through the doorway. He had just the fellas down at the moving truck with the moving people as they loaded everything up, since Howie was taking everything from Sarah's apartment to Florida and putting it in storage there until he figured out what to do with it. He figured his brother, sisters, and parents could help him with that decision once he got settled back at home.

"Ay, yi, yi. Don't mention him right now," Melicia groaned as she faced Brian. "He won't even look at me, let alone say anything."

"Just give him time," Brian shrugged in return, stepping into the room. "He isn't used to this whole parenting idea. He didn't know how to react, that's why he blew up the other night."

"I don't understand why my mom didn't give full custody of me to my grandparents in her will. Uncle Howie wouldn't have to worry about dealing with me. He doesn't need me as a burden in his life," Melicia spoke, more so to herself then to Brian. "He would probably be relieved if Nana and Papa did take me in..."

"I don't know why your mom gave Howie custody, but don't ever think you're a burden to him," Brian chided. "He loves you more than the world itself and just doesn't want anything to happen to you."

"But he should be able to trust me."

"Would you be able to trust your kid if they drank and got high?" Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Well, no. My trust for them would be tainted, but I wouldn't hate them for it."

"Howie doesn't hate you."

"Then why is he acting like he does?"

"Because like I said, he's new to this whole parenting thing. Just give him time, okay?"

"What if he decides he doesn't want me to live with him when we get to Florida?"

"He won't decide that, Mella. Trust me on that. But to stay on his good side, it's best not to drink until you're 21 and never smoke weed again."

"No way, I'm never smoking that again. Gives you a really crappy hangover the next day if you smoke it after you've been drinking. Trust ME, I've learned my lesson," Melicia replied, taping the last box closed. She sighed, "I just wish Uncle Howie would talk to me...I thought his yelling was bad...but his silent treatment is even worse!"

"I know," Brian patted her arm. "You know, you can take the big step and try talking to him."

"Tried and failed this morning, after you and Kev left to get breakfast. He wouldn't even look at me."

Brian frowned. "Well, don't worry. He'll start talking again."

"I didn't mean to disappoint him so badly. It just...happened," Melicia said as she stacked two boxes in Brian's awaiting arms. She offered him a thankful smile and followed him out of the room. "I just..."

"Wish you could take it all back?" Brian finished for her as she opened the door for him.

"Of course..." Melicia nodded, when inside she had meant to say she wished her mother was still there. But there was no point in turning the moment grayer then it already was.

"Unfortunately, there's no way to change the past," Brian sighed as they got into the elevator and headed down to the main lobby.

"Tell me about it," Melicia mumbled, leaning against the wall.

"It'll get better, Mella," Brian smiled softly as the elevator doors slid open. Melicia went to walk out, but Howie stepped into view, attempting to step onto the elevator to head up and retrieve more of the boxes. He looked at Melicia shortly, then moved his glance onto Brian.

"Hey, D. Long time no see," Brian tried to joke.

"Less than ten minutes," Howie grumbled.

"Even the great ones can't make 'em all laugh," Brian muttered as he got off the elevator, leaving Howie and Melicia alone.

"Uncle Howie..." Melicia began, keeping a few feet's distance between herself and her uncle. She felt her stomach turn as she looked her uncle over. He looked more rugged then he usually did. His eyes were bloodshot and droopy. His hair was a mess, more so then usual, and it looked like he had carelessly thrown himself together that morning.

"You're keeping me from going back upstairs," Howie replied without any emotion.

"Sorry," Melicia whispered and stepped out of the elevator, watching the doors slide shut.

*****

"Last box!" Nick hooted as he lifted it up and headed to the door. Everyone was now downstairs except for AJ and Melicia.

"This place is so empty..." she trailed off, sitting down in the bare living room.

AJ nodded, unsure of what else to say.

"It doesn't feel right," Melicia continued to speak.

"What doesn't feel right?" AJ asked.

"It being so empty and me leaving," Melicia answered, turning to look at him.

"There's nothing you can do, really," he began, sitting down next to her. "Things change and you have to adapt."

"Doesn't mean I have to like it."

"No, you don't have to like it at all. But, you do have to learn to accept it," AJ agreed, wrapping an arm around her waist. "But look at it this way. You're gaining a huge family once you come down to Florida. Your grandparents, aunts, uncle, cousins, the Backstreet Family... it's gonna be crazy."

"But I'm gonna lose everyone here. How is that fair?"

"Somethings in life just aren't fair..."

"Yeah, no kidding. First I lose Daddy. Then Mama. Now Uncle Howie isn't talking to me and I have to leave everything I know and love here."

"That jerk still isn't talking to you?" AJ teased, nudging Melicia in the side in hopes of cheering her up.

"No," Melicia giggled a little as AJ's elbow hit a ticklish spot.

"He'll come around. Just--"

"Give him time. I know, I already got this talk from Brian a little while ago."

"Good, I don't like giving lectures," AJ made a face, taking in all of Melicia's features. Since the day he 'fell' on top of her, AJ looked at her in a different light.

"Good, 'cause I don't like hearing them," Melicia smiled, leaning against AJ for a second.

The door to the apartment was pushed open and Melicia immediately pulled away from AJ thinking it was her uncle Howie, but was relieved when it was Kevin who entered the place. "It's time to hit the road," he spoke, shoving his hands into his pockets as he leaned against the frame. "You ready Mella?"

"No..."

"More boxes?"

"No..."

"Then?"

AJ knew the look on Melicia's face and turned back towards Kevin. "Could you give us a minute, Kev? Then we'll be down."

Kevin caught the point and nodded, shutting the door behind himself as he walked out.

"I know you don't want to leave, Mella. But this is a time where you have to do things you don't want to do--"

"I-I know..." Melicia whispered.

"Need a minute?"

"Please?"

"I'll be write outside the door waiting." AJ stood up and left Melicia alone where she sat in the middle of the bare living-room floor.

"I don't want to leave, Mama... I don't," Melicia whispered, tears falling down her face. "You raised me here and now I'm being forced to go. It's like I'm not only leaving the place we lived, but that I'm leaving you and the memories here, too. I just wish I knew if you could really hear me or not."

Melicia quickly checked her room to make sure all of the boxes had been removed, then hurried along to her mother's room. She couldn't leave without one last goodbye. But the moment she stepped foot inside the room, she felt like she was going to get sick. Melicia never imagined it would be this hard to leave. For a moment she could see her sitting on the edge of the bed in the morning, brushing her long beautiful hair and prepping herself for work. Her mother was always so tidy and Melicia envied her for it. But the memory soon faded and was replaced with the cold empty room. Tears welled in Melicia's eyes.

"Mama... please, don't hate me for leaving," she called into the room softly, hearing her voice echo. "I-I love you."

Warm arms wrapped around Melicia and she almost thought it was her mother returning to let her know she was ok, but it was a foolish thought and Melicia soon realized that it was only AJ. She didn't hold anything back though as she allowed him to hold her, her tears soaking through the front of his shirt.

And so she came to face what she had been trying to ignore all along.

This was it...she had to say goodbye.


How do I say goodbye to what we had?
The good times that made us laugh
Outweigh the bad

I thought we'd get to see forever
But forever's gone away
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday

I don't know where this road
Is going to lead
All I know is where we've been
And what we've been through

If we get to see tomorrow
I hope it's worth all the wait
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday

And I'll take with me the memories
To be my sunshine after the rain
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday

And I'll take with me the memories
To be my sunshine after the rain
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday