- Text Size +
Meranda moved out from under AJ’s protective hold. She knew he was worried about the safety of his family. After what had happened during her encounter with Sarah. She slipped from the room unnoticed, her right arm was killing her but she needed to find and talk to the doctor.
“ You shouldn’t be up.”
“ Sorry, I was wondering if I could talk to you about Gracie.”
“ Little Gracie, she’s a very sick child.”
“ How much longer do I have with my angel.”
“ I’d say a few days maybe a week. What we are doing isn’t helping. We are unsure of how sick she really was when she first arrived here.”
“ Will my baby live till Christmas? Her father is really wanting to spend the holiday with her.”
“ I am hoping so.” The doctor told her.
“ Thank you.” Meranda said heading back into Gracie’s room.
“ Miss Hunt, please remember she’s a very sick child. We may have to move her to ICU soon.”
“ I know.” Meranda said entering the room. She looked at her daughter and then towards AJ. She looked at him and watched him sleep, she heard him call her his angel and then she knew that she wasn’t ready to accept him back into her heart.
“ Hey what are you doing up?” AJ asked opening his eyes.
“ I needed to talk to the doctor. I wanted to know how bad our baby was. He’s not promising that she will live to see Christmas.”
“ She’s a fighter just like her mother.”
“ I don’t want her to fight if she is too ill I don’t want her to think I am forcing her to stay around for me.” Meranda said looking away from AJ.
“ Come pray with me.” Brian said looking at her. Meranda looked at him and nodded, she hadn’t notice them come in. Howie moved to the bed and sat down next to it.
“ Go with Brian, but ride in the wheelchair.” AJ requested of her. Meranda nodded and sat down in the wheelchair and allowed Brian to wheel her from the room. AJ looked at the bed where his daughter lay sleeping.
“ I am going to lose her aren’t I?” AJ asked looking at Howie.
“ Sooner or later yes.” Howie answered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brian came to a stop at the chapel and sat down next to Meranda.
“ Let’s pray and see if we can put your daughter’s life in his hands.”
“ She’s already in his hands Brian, that is what I fear is that I am going to lose her to him.”
“ Randy, don’t think of it that way.”
“ Why not? Brian I already know that she’s dying and she will die soon.”
“ Then let her life be in his hands.”
“ Don’t preach to me Brian, I already know this and I don’t want to give her up to him, not right now. She’s only six.” Meranda cried. “ Six years old. And now it’s like she’s going to be leaving me.” Brian looked at her, he wasn’t sure what to say to her anymore, he lowered his head and prayed. Meranda finally pushed herself from the chapel and left him alone. She couldn’t handle this anymore.


Meranda rolled herself down the hallway and moved into the room where Gracie lay sleeping. She grabbed the journal and began writing in it.

Dec 15th 2003
It’s almost Christmas my angel. Your daddy finally came and he’s been with you everyday since we came to the hospital. But I fear that I will lose you soon. I wish you could stay with me forever but I know that it’s impossible to have that dream. But what little of your life I have with you I will cherish it all.
Randy


Meranda placed the book open on the table and slid back into the bed and drifted off to sleep.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AJ looked at the Calendar and saw that it was three days before Christmas and Gracie had been moved to ICU about two days before that, her body was starting to shut down and they had put her on life support. She was still breathing on her own so that was a good sign. But the doctor knew it was only a matter of time before Gracie would leave them.
“ It’s almost Christmas my angel.” AJ said kissing Gracie’s cheek. He looked at her pale skin and thin body. Gracie gave him a weak smile and held her arms out to him.
“ Daddy.” She said her voice weak. AJ sat down on the edge of the bed and held her small body into his arms.
“ Hey there munchkin. How are you feeling today?”
“ Not good.” She answered looking at him. AJ knew that was the truth.
“ I know baby.” AJ said kissing her forehead. He felt the warmth that radiated from her body. AJ looked towards the door to see the nurse entering the room.
“ Good afternoon Mr. McLean just checking her vitals.” The nurse said. She began checking Gracie’s pulse and blood pressure.
“ I’ll be right back munchkin.” AJ said kissing Gracie’s cheek.