- Text Size +
Denise rushed into the hospital only an hour after speaking to her son. Phone calls needed to be made and people needed to be notified. Nick was the first to arrive after Denise, she had called him last, trying to compose herself about her granddaughter. Nick had brought a lupus bear he had gotten from Howie the year before, he walked inside and stood at the door of the room. Howie arrived next, his hands shaking, he hadn’t been there when Caroline had died but he couldn’t miss being there when his angel Gracie passed. Kevin arrived a short time later. Followed by Brian and Leighanne.
“ How’s she doing?” Nick asked still standing in the doorway. He couldn’t bring himself to enter the room. His heart was breaking over the sick child behind the door.
“ She’s bad. She hasn’t opened her eyes since they put the tube down her throat.” AJ said looking at his young friend. He turned towards the room and heard Meranda crying behind the closed door.
“ I have something for Meranda.” AJ said fighting his own tears.
“ What?” Nick asked looking at him. AJ pulled a small diamond ring from his pocket. The red velvet box it sat in was as pretty as the ring.
“ You’re going to ask her to marry you?”
“ That was what I was going to ask her before she left me six years ago. I promised Gracie mommy and daddy would never be apart.” AJ said finally letting the tears roll down his cheeks. Nick hugged AJ and began to cry himself.
“ Come on let’s go see Gracie.” AJ said leading his friend into the room. They both looked at the little girl that lay on the bed, her chest rising and falling with the sound of the machine.
“ Alex.” Meranda said turning and facing him, her eyes red and puffy from crying.
“ I know baby I know.” AJ said taking her into his arms. He slipped the ring out of his pocket and placed it on her finger.
“ What’s this?” She asked looking down at the ring.
“ Something I promised our little girl.” AJ said kissing her cheek. He could feel the new tears that began to fall as she held tightly to Gracie’s hand. She could hear the faint beeping of the machine as it slowed with Gracie’s heart.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meranda refused to leave her daughter’s side. She knew it was only a matter of time before the angels came and took her baby away. AJ stepped up behind her and placed his hands on her shoulders.
“ Baby, please get something to eat, you haven’t left this room in two days. Get some rest I wont leave her side.”
“ I don’t know how much longer she’s going to be around I don’t want to be gone if it happens.”
“ Meranda go stretch, now.” AJ said looking at her. Meranda stood and slowly made her way towards the door. Her arm was throbbing and she knew that she should have gotten some sleep but she couldn’t. Meranda walked down the dark hallway and made her way threw the ICU unit. Seeing other families standing vigil with their children, mothers, fathers and others. She hated the way she felt losing her only daughter. She walked towards the chapel and knelt down in front of the cross and looked up at it.
“ Hi again lord. Yep me again, I’ve been praying more in the last few weeks than I have in a long time. But it’s coming close to the time before my angel becomes yours. Please watch over her for me. And tell her mommy will always love her. And tell her mommy will be with her again some day.” Meranda said whipping the tears away.
“ It gets better.” Meranda heard a voice behind her say. She stood and looked towards an older woman that had been praying towards the back of the chapel.
“ How? How does it get better? My Little girl is dying and I don’t have much more time with her.”
“ You’ve got all the time in the world with her. Plus everything the lord lets you have. Always remember she’s in your heart.” The older woman said.
“ I know. And now her father has asked me to marry him. Our daughters last wish.”
“ Always make a child’s last wish a memorable one. But make sure that if your marrying this man you love him. Don’t do this just because she asked you to.”
“ I do love him, I have loved him since the first day I laid eyes on him, and the days that followed right up to the birth of our daughter.”
“ Then be with him. And love him, no matter that your child isn’t going to be around anymore remember that she’s in your heart and in each of you every day and remember she loves you.”
“ Thanks. Talking to you helped.” Meranda said hugging the older woman. Meranda looked up towards the doorway and saw Nick standing there with tears in his eyes. Meranda hurried out of the older woman’s arms and hurried from the chapel. She knew the look on Nick’s face and knew that her baby was gone. The old woman stood for a few minuets longer and then looked towards the doorway.
“ I love you mommy.” She said with that she was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meranda stepped into the room and looked towards AJ and then at the figure that lay on the bed, the machine’s all off and that meant she knew that her daughter had gone. Meranda rushed to the bedside and dropped to her knees.
“ My Angel. My sweet Angel. I will miss you. I love you.” Meranda said kissing her daughters cheek. Tears rolling down her cheeks like a river. AJ stood and moved behind her and began rubbing her back as she sobbed.