- Text Size +
AJ looked into the contents of the box and lowered his eyes.
“ She kept everything, pictures of her when she was a baby, everything.”
“ Everything?”
“ Everything she could. She had intended on calling you soon. Actually on her next birthday she was going to call you.” Nick informed him. AJ looked at Nick, his eyes wide wondering what was going on why was he thinking that everything was everyone’s fault when he himself had done it to himself.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meranda sat in the church alone. She could hear a song in her head, one she had heard on the radio one night while she was rocking her daughter to sleep after a nightmare. And she began to sing.

Well, it must be kind of crowded,
On the streets of Heaven.
So tell me: what do you need her for?
Don't you know one day she'll be your little girl forever.
But right now I need her so much more.
She's much too young to be on her own:
Barely just turned seven.
So who will hold her hand when she crosses the streets of Heaven?

Meranda began to cry again as she thought that her child could die. She didn’t understand why something like this had to happen. She looked up at the statue and stood.
“ Why? Why my child?” She shouted at the statue. “ Why do you have to chose my child, she’s all I’ve got.” She cried finally dropping to her knees in front of the statue. She felt hands on her shoulders and she turned her red and puffy eyes towards the person that stood above her.
“ Come on.” Kevin said helping her up. Meranda stood there in the church for a moment longer.
“ He wants my child.”
“ Gracie is a strong child and will be living for a long time.”
“ I need a few more minuets.” Meranda said sitting back down. Kevin nodded and moved to the back of the church and sat down silently. Meranda lowered her head and closed her eyes. She really needed to understand what was going on, why was her child sick. What was it her child that was chosen to be the one that could be taken?

* song Streets of Heaven by Sharee Austin *