- Text Size +
Finally Meranda stood and nodded towards the statue and walked towards the back of the church.
“ Alex promised that you would be back when Gracie came back from surgery.”
“ He did did he? I wonder what else he intends on promising her and then not being able to make them come true?” She asked looking at Kevin.
“ Randy, she’s sick, please don’t do this not now.”
“ He made it very clear he doesn’t want me with her.” Meranda said brushing past Kevin and out of the church. Kevin knew the only person that could get Meranda to come back would be AJ. Pulling his cell phone from his pocket he called the hospital.
“ Yo.”
“ AJ you made this mess now it’s time you fixed it.” Kevin growled into the phone.
“ I know.” AJ said.
“ She wont come back she’s at St Luke’s Church.”
“ I’ll be there.” AJ said hanging up. Kevin placed his phone back into pocket and looked down towards where Meranda sat in the cemitary just below the church. He saw AJ coming up the street.
“ Where is she?”
“ Over there. You best fix this because I know Gracie wont be happy if her mommy isn’t in the room when she comes back.” Kevin said heading away from where he was. AJ looked and walked over and sat down next to Meranda.
“ What?” She asked not looking up, she knew he wasn’t Kevin.
“ Please come back to the hospital. Gracie will be back soon.”
“ You said I didn’t care. Why should I start now?” She said looking up at him, new tears had formed in her eyes.
“ Because you’ve cared about her for the last six years and done a wonderful job. Please don’t walk away from her now because of me. I am a selfish man that just wanted something I knew had been my own fault. Come on let’s go back so we can be there for Gracie.” AJ said taking her hand and leading her back to the hospital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AJ sat in the chair in the corner watching Meranda and Gracie sleeping. The doctor had brought back Gracie and told them that the surgery had gone well and if she was feeling better in a few days they would release her. But they where still worried about her Lupus. They weren’t sure if it would kill her sooner or be a long running disease. Gracie was a strong child and barely showed any signs of being ill at all. Her fever had come down which was a good sign but the Lupus was still very present in body. A small body at that, he had wondered how long the lupus had been present in her body. Finally he decided he needed to talk to the doctor himself. Looking at them one last time he turned and left the room.
“ Doctor, may I speak to you about Grace Hunt?”
“ What is it you want to know?”
“ The lupus has been present for some time. We think for a few years.”
“ But wouldn’t Meranda have know about it?”
“ Not entirely no, see this disease is very hard to find in someone so young. Usually this disease is found in an older patient.”
“ How long?”
“ Two years. But it’s more advanced in her body, it’s killing her. I suggest that she get started on Chemo but I am unsure of what that will do to her already weak body. Think it over and come to me with Miss Hunt.”
“ Alright thank you.” AJ said watching as he walked away from him. AJ walked back into the room and looked at the two sleeping girls and then towards the box that lay on the table. He picked it up and ran his finger over the inscription. He opened the box and slowly lifted out the small leather bound book. Opening it he started reading the first page.

~~~ June 25th 1997,
Gracie giggled today, she had been laying on her back on the floor and suddenly she giggled. I smiled widely and wished that you could see it. But I know there will be more days for you to be able to see things. I miss you Alex.
Randy.

~~~~~ March 22nd 1998
She’s already walking, and boy is our little girl getting into everything. I found her today walking around with your picture. Her first word was Daddy. She knew what you looked like and even recognized your picture. I read her the reviews from your shows and let her listen to your music. She dances around to your music. I miss you a lot.
Randy.

~~~~ December 25th 1998
Wow Christmas time again already. She found all her gifts under the tree, we had slept on the couch last night after we set up the tree. She was happy and there is a gift under the tree for you. I’ll be sending it out after the holiday. I miss you so much. Love you
Randy.


~~~~ March 24th 1999
Our little girl is two today. I love watching her play with her toys, she’s made a little friend out of the boy that is from next door. She’s a generous child and likes to share her toys. She’s not greedy like some children. Wish you could see her.
Randy


June 14th 2001
Gracie is four and she saw you on TV today, She saw Uncle Nick crying at the TV studio. She wasn’t sure why he was crying but that he was sad because of her daddy. I was crying, I couldn’t stop, I saw how upset the others where and that you had finally admitted that you where drinking a lot and asked for help. I have never been prouder of you. I’ll talk to Nick later. I might even call your mom. Gracie wants to see her grandmother. I might actually take her over there and let your mom see her.
Get better my angel
Randy


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AJ whipped the tears away as he closed the book, she had been keeping a written record of what was going on with Gracie and even him. He wondered if she had ever taken Gracie over to his moms pulling the phone from his pocket he left the room again. Stepping out on the porch like thing he waited till he heard his mothers voice.
“ Hello?”
“ Hey Ma”
“ Alex is everything alright?”
“ Not really. Mom I have a daughter. And she’s very sick.”
“ Gracie’s sick? Why wasn’t I called?” She asked.
“ I didn’t know that you knew. How come everyone knew about her but me?” AJ asked a slight hint of irritation in his voice.
“ Alex she asked me not to tell you. I just respected her wishes. What’s wrong with Gracie?”
“ She’s got lupus ma. And she’s so sick.”
“ I’ll be down.”
“ In the morning she’s sleeping right now. I love you ma.”
“ I love you to Alex and remember that little girl knows her father and loves him. And so does her mom. Night Alex.”
“ Night Ma.” AJ said hanging up his phone.