- Text Size +
"AJ," Tori said with a sigh. "I appreciate your concern, and I would love to come back to Orlando with you and Howie. God knows I'd love it, but things just aren't that easy. We both know that Howie won't accept this that easily, especially when adding Gabby into the mix. He hates me. Not to mention the fact that Donald will undoubtedly come looking for me and Gabby."

"I know but..." AJ started to say. "Shh," Tori interrupted, placing her fingers over his lips. "I know you want to help me and Gabby..." AJ responded with a nod. "But you must understand that no matter what, no matter how far away you take us, no matter how hard you try, he will try his damnedest to get his 'property' back," she finished as she took her fingers away from his soft lips.

AJ looked into her eyes, and almost shivered at what he saw in them. He saw absolute despair, loneliness, regret, and brokenness. He felt that his heart would break at the emotions he saw in her eyes. This woman, no matter how much he disliked the fact that she hurt his best friend, did not deserve what had been done to her. He felt the familiar twitch of need to make her happy again. The one that he had always felt since the moment he’d met her so many years ago. He had no doubt in his mind that he would have made a move on her if she hadn't showed interest in his Latin friend.

~Flashback: Spring, 1997~


"Hey Tori, what's up?" AJ said as he sat down next to her. When he didn't get a response he looked over at her. "Yo!" he said as he nudged her with his left elbow.

"Huh! Oh, hey, J, what's up?" Tori said shaking her head slightly to clear the thoughts from her head.

"That's what I want to know. What are you looking at?" he said, following her gaze. It landed on his best friend. 'Damn,' he thought. "Ah...I see," he said forlornly.

~End Flashback~


AJ sighed. "I swear to you, I will help you get away from that bastard, and I'll also help you and Howie get back together," he said without a lack of conviction in his voice.

Tori smiled at him. "Thank you."