- Text Size +
Howie sighed heavily.

Tori looked up at him, after a few minutes had gone by. “Howie… I-I want you to take Gaby.”

He looked up at her. “Take her? What do you mean take her?”

Aj glared at her. “No! I’m not leaving you here to be abused by that man any more! So you can just forget that idea.”

“WE’RE not leaving you here, Tori.” Howie added.

Tori exhaled noisily. “Guys, this is for the best… I’ve kept her away from Howie long enough, and now it’s your time with her. Maybe I’ll be able to get away for a few days… who knows.” She said uncertainly.

Aj stood abruptly. “NO! It’s not gonna happen so just drop it.”

Howie looked at him strangely. ‘What is up with him? Why does he care so much? I should be the one shouting. Unless…’ Howie shook his head of his thoughts. ‘Nah… he couldn’t.’ “He’s right Tori, it’s not gonna happen.”

Tiredly, Tori rubbed her temples and sighed. Howie watched her silently and then began to rock Gaby in his arms again, sighing also.

Aj observed the two sitting in silence, debating whether he should comfort Tori like he wanted to, or take Gaby and leave the estranged couple to work it out for themselves. Giving into his heart, he made his way over to Tori and squatted in front of her.

“Tori… look, I’m sorry for yelling at you. But… I meant what I said. There’s no way in hell I’m… we’re gonna leave you here to endure this anymore.” Stroking her hair softly and taking her hand in his, he continued. “We’ll find a way to get you and Gaby outta here… I swear.”

Tori gazed into his eyes as he spoke, and swore that she could see something that looked like more than the pity she thought he simply felt for her. It looked like… ‘Nah… it couldn’t be.’ She dismissed quickly. She smiled softly at him.

”Thank you.”

~*~


Smirking vilely, he turned around and crept back to his black unmarked van that was parked a ways down the street.

“The boss ought to be real pleased to hear about her little visitors.” He whispered to himself with a leer as he drove off into the night to relay the information to his boss.