- Text Size +
10am
Nick and I got off the plane. "Wow," I heard Nick say in amazement.
"Cool, isn't it?"
He nodded.

We walked to the baggage claim and got our bags. When we got out to the natural air, it was then Nick realized how hot it was.

"¡El diablo!" he said loudly. ("Shit!")
I hit Nick in the arm.
"Ow."
"Don't say that out loud," I whispered to him. "Here, it's a bad word."
"Sorry," Nick mumbled.
"It's ok. You didn't know." I tried to avoid the looks of other Dominicans.
A taxi car stopped in front of us. "Alo, Alyson," the taxi driver said, in the Spanish accent. I looked at his face.
"Cosobo!" I said, hugging him. He's my family's friend. He was our "personal" family taxi driver. "¿Como tu ta?" ("How are you?")
"Bien, bien. ¿Y quién e el? Tu esposo?" ("Good, good. And who is this? Your husband?")
"Si. Cosobo, el e Nickolas. Nick meet Cosobo." ("Yes. Cosobo, this is Nickolas . . .")
They shook hands.
"I, e, speak very little English," Cosobo said, in a Spanish accent.
Nick and I laughed. "Nice to me you," Nick replied.
"¿Que, que el deho?" Cosobo asked. ("What did he say?")
"Agradable encontrarlo," I told him.
"Oh, you, too," Cosobo said to Nick.
"Bueno, vamono," I said, getting into the taxi van. ("Well, let's go.") Yeah, in DR they have vans as taxis.

1 Hour Later . . .
11am
We were almost near to my aunt's house in DR. I decided to stay there, having the ocean bring the cool air every morning. Nick looked out the window the whole time, amazed at the sights.

"This avenue is called El Malecon," I told him.
"What does that mean?" he asked.
I laughed, "I don't know."
He smiled and whispered, "It's beautiful."
"That's why I brought you here," I whispered back.
We were just about to lean in when Cosobo interrupted, "Aye, no kissing."
We both laughed.
"Tamo aqui," he said, stopping the car. ("We're here.")
"C'mon, Nicky."

We got out of the car and looked at the apartment building.

"To be honest," Nick began, "I never really lived in an apartment building."
I smiled, "Well, I guess this'll be your first."