- Text Size +
1:23am
"Nick? Nick, wake up," Ally shook me.
"What?" I asked, my eyes adjusting the room. "Hey, we're still in the boat."
"Yes, I know. Nick, there's something out there, banging on the boat," she told me. I could tell she was scared.
"C'mon, let's go check it out," I told her. We got dressed. Luckily, I told her to bring extra clothes, and she wore sweatpants and a t-shirt. I dressed in something like that, too.
"Go to the driver's cabin. I'll follow you there," I told her, looking back and making sure everything was ok.

We made it to the cabin, and the boat shook.

"What could it be?" I said.
She gulped, "Not to jump to conclusions, but I think there's only one animal in the ocean strong enough to push a boat . . ."
I looked at her, waiting for to say it.
". . . a shark," she whispered.
I looked out at the ocean. ". . . A Shark," her thought ran inside my head. The animal shook the boat again. She ran to me and held me nervously.
"Baby," I began, letting go of her, cupping her face in my hands, and making us in the same eye level, "Stay here. I'm going down there to see what it is."
"No, Nicky," she said, tears flooding down her eyes. "I-I won't let you. Nick, I'm not letting you risk you're life for this. If you're going, I'm going. If you die, I will, too."
"Ally, . . ."
"And that's final!" she said. The boat shook again.
I sighed. I remembered how I felt when she left me. And I remembered how she was when I was about to get married with Isabelle. She was a lot worst than me . . . "Alright, fine. I'll let you go down with me as long as you promise to save yourself, after and if I die. You never know, baby. There could be a Carter growing inside you right now," I said, touching her stomach.
She laughed a little, even though she still had her tears. "Ok," she whispered. "I'll do it, I promise. But, Nick," she looked into my eyes deeply, "I love you." She hugged me.
I held her tightly, with tears coming down my eyes, too. "I love you, too, babygirl," I tried to say, between my small sobs, and kissing her forehead.
She nodded. The boat shook again. "C'mon, let's go," she said quietly.

We walked hand-in-hand down the stairs to the bottom part of the boat. We stood there, away from the tip of the boat.

I gulped. "I'll go first," I said bravely.
"Nick, . . .," she tried to stop me.
"No, I have to go," I said, walking towards the tip. I looked down at the water. I saw the silvery, dark figure heading towards the boat again. I pulled back immediately, and that's when we saw . . . the mouth of the animal. It was a shark. The Great-White.