- Text Size +
Shane sat watching as Dale, his best friend, walked over to his table and put the pint of Guinness in front of him. “Thanks mate.” He smiled.
Dale sat down on a stool opposite his friend and nodded. “So what’s up? You’re not yourself.” He insisted.
“You know how it is, I just get a little down when I’ve been away for a while.” Shane sighed.
“Have you seen Jen yet?” Dale asked carefully.
Shane looked down into his glass and shook his head slowly, desperately trying to stop his eyes filling with tears. “No, I think it’s best I don’t see her around. For a while anyway.”
“It’s easier like that Shane, trust me. Your heart will heal, and then it won’t hurt to see her.” He promised.
“I know. But I loved her Dale, I really did. I still do, I don’t like the thought of getting over her.” He admitted sadly.
They both sat in silence for a few moments until Dale spoke up. “Maybe it’ll all change at Mark’s bash tomorrow. No doubt there’ll be loads of hotties there.”
Shane laughed awkwardly. “The only problem being they all know me, therefore they know how depressive I am to be around at the moment.”
Dale was about to reply, but stopped when the door to the pub opened and a big group of people burst into the bar. “Later.” He promised as he smiled and waved their friends over to the table.

Kian stood smiling as he watched Mary walk along the beach with her feet in the sea. She had always been such a thoughtful person – she always had something going on in her head. He had always wondered what, but then decided he would rather not know. Sometimes secrets were the key to longevity. He loved watching her black hair blowing crazily in the wind. She never made too much effort. She was just herself with him. A thing he wished every girl would be.
He laughed to himself quietly and then ran down the beach to his fiancée. “You’ll catch a cold if you stay out here too long.” He warned as he scooped her up in his arms.
“Well then it’s your job to keep me warm Mr. Egan!” She giggled.
Kian smiled as he looked down into her sparkling brown eyes. “I have a feeling that would be easier to do in the bedroom.” He said straight-faced.
Mary pulled away from him and stood with hands on hips, with a confused look on her face. “So what are we doing out here?” She asked before bursting into laughter, grabbing his hands and dragging him up the beach.
Kian willingly let himself get dragged up the beach and over to the parked BMW. “Don’t go all hyper on me just yet Mary; if you ruin the interior you really will be punished.” He warned.
Mary fluttered her eyelashes at him across the roof of the car and sighed. “I like the sound of that.” She muttered before opening the door and climbing in.

Mark stood in his kitchen gazing out at the Sligo countryside as Nicky crashed around trying to make himself something to eat. “Life’s just…beautiful.” He sighed thoughtfully.
Nicky put the saucepan down and looked over at his friend. “It has its good and bad points.”
“Yeah I guess, but it doesn’t matter how bad life is, all it takes is ONE thing to make it all good again, don’t you think?” He asked.
Nicky shook his head and shrugged. “I suppose so. But it can have the opposite effect too. I know from experience.” He whispered.
“Oh mate I’m sorry I didn’t think. I was just rambling…” Mark stuttered.
Nicky held his hands up and shook his head. “It doesn’t matter. Honestly, it’s fine. Look…I’ve lost my appetite; I’ll trying sleeping a bit more. I’ll be around later.” He promised.
Mark nodded but remained silent. Nicky had changed so much since the death of his mother. It was hard to talk to him nowadays; always having to be careful not to mention family, love, or other random things. It was going to be hard for him – he hadn’t only lost his mother, but one of his best friends too.