- Text Size +
Chapter 1
Tampa, Florida 1983
It was a sunny day fairly breezy at around eighty degrees. Little Gina had begged her mom to take her to the park that was near their home. Gina was three and her favorite thing at the playground was the swings. That fine day she was swinging when a little boy came and sat in the swing next to her.
"HI IM Nicholas" He said proudly." But I like to be called Nick.
He had blonde hair and bright blue eyes.
"IM Gina" The little girl replied.
She had long brown hair to her waste and sparkling green eyes. Gina was at the age where she was just learning how to pump her legs to get the swing higher. Nick was swing fast and high while Gina wasn't going anywhere. After awhile of struggling Nick stopped his swing.
"Don't you know how to swing"
Gina shook her head almost in tears. "IM trying but I it's not working".
Nick smiled. "How about I push you".
Gina smiled.
Nick got behind her and started pushing her. Gina giggled the whole time. Finally Nick stopped.
" IM getting tired" He said and went back to sitting in his swing. "How old are you" Nick asked.
"IM three" She answered holding up her three fingers to show she knew how to count.
"Me too" He said happily.
Too soon they both heard "Gina time to go honey".
"I got to be going home now," Gina said getting off the swing.
"You want to come over to my house" Nick asked.
"Sure let me go as my mom" Gina exclaimed excitedly.
Gina ran to the benches where her mom was talking to a lady getting ready to leave. The lady looked at Gina and smiled.
"HI there what's your name?" she asked with a smile kneeling down till she was the same level as her.
" My name is Gina," She said with a bright smile showing all her baby teeth.
"IM Mrs. Carter but you can call me Jane" The lady replied sticking out her hand to shake Gina' tiny one.
Nick came running up and hugged the lady.
"Mommy can Gina come over to our house to play" He asked.
"Yes she can if it's ok with her mom" Jane answered.
Gina looked up at her mom. "Can I, mom? Please?" Gina asked politely.
Her mom smiled “Yes, you may but not too long" She replied. "Where do you live" She asked turning her attention to Jane.
"Well we just moved here from New York last week we live at 534 Union Street" She said.
"Wow what a coincidence we live right next door to you" Gina' mom replied.
Jane smiled. "How would you like to come over too for some coffee and we can get to know each other" Jane asked.
"I would love to" Gina mom responded.
The four made their way to the Carter's knowing this was the beginning of two beautiful friendships.