- Text Size +
Chapter 2
Tampa, Florida1993 10 years later

Gina sighed as she got out of bed to get ready for school. Nick and her had become best friends after that day she had met him in the park when she was three. She hardly even remembered that now. Nick and Gina were now thirteen years old. Her parents were best friends with his parents as well. Nick and her hang out everyday not just in school. Gina had decided to wear a pair of jeans and a short sleeved top and brushed out her chin length brown hair.
When she was ready Gina was ready she opened her window that was facing Nick and yelled “Hey Nickers its time for school”.
She saw Nick drag himself out of bed and open the window. “I’ll be down in a few minutes. He hollered back.
Gina grabbed her backpack and walked out the door and waited at the door at Nick’s. Finally after ten minutes Nick walked out wearing a flannel shirt and a pair of jeans. His silky blonde hair had been combed back.
“Finally” Gina muttered.
Nick rolled his eyes. ‘Excuse me if I would like to take a few minutes to get myself ready, Miss I Look to Good for Anyone”.
Gina looked at him. ‘I look halfway decent unlike you who looks like a girl” She retorted.
Nick pretended to be hurt. “Take that back” He demanded.
Gina just laughed. “No way Nicky” She responded.
“Awe your going to get it now” He warned.
Gina started running all the way to the bus stop but Nick caught up with her and tackled her to the ground and started to tickle her sides. Gina laughed so hard she couldn’t catch her breath.
‘OK Ok I take it back” She managed to get out.
Nick stopped tickling her and got up. Gina couldn’t help but notice how cute he looked. “What am I saying this is my best friend we are talking about” She scolded herself.
Gina than got up and asked “So how is singing lessons going” She asked.
Nick had been singing ever since she could remember and had recently started going to voice lessons and auditions.
“Good actually after school today I have an audition in Orlando for a group that they are trying to form so I won’t be home till after dinner” He explained.
“Good luck today I know you can get in to this group” Gina said.
‘Thanks Gina you’re my best friend in the entire world always remember that” He answered with a smile and hugged her tightly.
Gina always liked his hugs and to her it was almost a brotherly hug but lately she kept feeling weird around him. The bus pulling up to their stop interrupted their hug. Both got on the bus and the bus headed to their school.

When they arrived at school Gina and Nick walked in to school together and parted when they ran into their usual group. Nick hung out with his other best friend Brent and a bunch of Brent’s friends while Gina hung out with her other two best friends Rachel and Chelsea. Rachel had shoulder length blonde hair and green eyes. All the guys were afraid of her because she spoke her mind and was a tough chick. She was the starting pitcher of the school’s softball team. She never dated because of a past boyfriend but Gina and Chelsea were always trying to set her up with Brent Nick’s friend. Chelsea has curly brownish blonde hair and brown eyes. She was always self-conscious of herself but Gina and Rachel tried their best to tell her that she wasn’t fat.
“Hey guys” Gina greeted once she had spotted Chelsea and Rachel at her locker.
“Hey what’s up”?” Rachel asked.
“ Nothing much” Chelsea replied.
‘Did you see “New Kids on the block’s” New video” Chelsea asked excitedly.
“Yes It was good Jordan is so hot” Gina exclaimed.
“I like Danny” Rachel said.
“ Well I like Joe” Chelsea said hotly.
The two started bickering about who was the cutest. Gina turned around to see Nick in his group joking around. She had tuned out of the argument.
“God he looks so good” She thought dreamily. “I can’t like him he is my best friend” “ But I think IM in love with him”.
Before she could think anymore Chelsea had snapped her fingers in front of her. Gina came back to reality.
“Where did you go just now?” Rachel asked.
Both girls followed Gina’s gaze to Nick.
“You like Nick don’t you” Chelsea said.
“Of course I like him he is my best friend” Gina replied giving Chelsea the duh look.
“No that’s not what I meant IM mean you like him as more than a friend” Chelsea said seriously.
Gina didn’t know how to answer that.
“No I don’t,” She finally said closing her locker.
“Yes you do I know you do you have liked him for a while Chelsea and I can tell” Rachel said matter factly. “Just admit it”.
Gina sighed in defeat. “All right fine you win I do like him as more than a friend in fact I am in love with him are you happy” Gina snapped.
Gina than realized what she had just said. Both her friends stared at her wide-eyed.
‘Your in love with him” Chelsea finally said.
Gina though for a moment. ‘Yeah I guess I am”.
“I knew it” Chelsea beamed. “So why don’t you tell him I think he likes you like that too”. “Absolutely not He can never know you have to promise” She replied in a serious tone.
‘I promise” Chelsea said.
They both looked at Rachel. “I’m not going to tell him I swear”. She agreed. ‘I think that love at the age of thirteen doesn’t exist in my opinion.
Before anyone could respond to that the bell rang for first period. They all headed their separate ways.