- Text Size +
Chapter 23
Nick carried Rachel into the hospital emergency room twenty minutes later. He was freaking out. Rachel was red from crying in pain. Both her arms had blisters the size Hawaii already formed. Rachel was frustrated with Nick. First of all he had driven like a mad man and Rachel had to keep reminding him that she would like to live to see her next birthday. The normal trip from the apartment to the hospital normally took forty-five minutes. Rachel had known that because a couple months before she had driven Chelsea there when she tripped over her boots and given herself a concussion but that was a whole other story. Than Nick had treated her like if she walked she would die. Rachel was used to be accident-prone and wasn't used to be treated like a breakable doll. Frankly it annoyed the hell out of her.
" Really Nick I can walk you know" Rachel said through clenched teeth. Nick didn't even hear her.
" I need help now," Nick cried.
A couple of nurses and an orderly with a wheel chair came rushing over. " What is the problem?" One of the nurses asked.
" My girlfriend burned both her arms" Nick replied in panic.
" Ok calm down sir we will take her into the emergency room and have a doctor immediately take a look at her" The nurse explained.
Nick gently placed Rachel in the chair and the orderly wheeled her in through the double doors.

Gina was lucky. When her and AJ had arrived at the University there was no line and her advisor had been free so she didn't have to make an appointment.
" Ok Gina so this semester you are taking Anatomy one, Biology one oh one, Advanced placement Chemistry and Health and Nutrition correct" Mrs. Adams concluded.
" Yes that’s right" Gina replied.
" Ok your all set You will get your schedule the day the University starts which is exactly two weeks from today" Mrs. Adams explained.
Gina was happy. Those were the classes that she had planned on taking since they were the hardest ones she need to take for her major and it just so happened that there was one spot left in all four of them. Gina walked out of the office and up to AJ who had been sitting in a chair reading a magazine.
" Ready to go" He asked.
" Yep lets go to your place" Gina said.
AJ and Gina walked out of the building hand in hand.
" Wait first let me use the restroom cause I really need to go" AJ told her.
" OK ill be sitting over by those benches" Gina answered pointing.
AJ left and Gina walked over to the benches and sat down. The weather outside was beautiful. It was sunny with not cloud in the sky. Although it was like in the nineties that was to be expected in late August. Gina breathed the air glad once again to be home. Gina was deep in thought she hadn't even realized that a man was sitting next to her looking her over.
" Hi there" he said shaking her out of her thoughts.
Gina looked over to see a guy facing her holding his hand out. Gina thought he was pretty cute. He had brown hair and blue eyes.
" Hi" Gina replied back.
He introduced himself. " IM Dean".
" IM Gina" she answered. AJ came out of the bathroom and spotted Gina talking to some guy. AJ felt anger rising up. The guy seemed to be sitting too close to her. AJ strutted over to them. He put his arm around her and kissed her. Gina was surprised but smiled.
" Hey AJ this is Dean" Gina said.
" Hi" Dean politely said holding his hand out to AJ.
AJ rudely just starred. " IM AJ her boyfriend" AJ said.
His face was like stone.
Gina rolled her eyes. " AJ stop being rude" She hissed.
" Its OK I need to be going nice meeting you Gina I hope to you around campus" Dean said waving good bye.
After he was gone Gina turned to AJ.
" AJ how could you be so rude what was your problem" Gina asked annoyed.
" IM sorry I just don't like the way he was eyeing you" AJ whined. " I got jealous IM sorry".
Gina sighed. " OK AJ I believe let's go back to your place".
AJ smiled " Lets Go".

Chelsea giggled as Kevin kissed the one spot that drove her wild. Kevin nibbled her earlobe.
"Kevin aren't we a bit on the naught side" Chelsea squealed.
Kevin only grinned in response. " I am just so happy that you're moving in with me its like a dream come true," Kevin said seriously.
" I really want to this Kevin" Chelsea told him.
" So when should we start moving you in" Kevin asked.
" Um How about we start tomorrow and spend the rest of the day in bed" Chelsea suggested.
" Your wish is my command" Kevin whispered kissing her on the lips and lifting her off his lap and started to carry her to the bedroom. Kevin was half way undressed while Chelsea was completely undressed when the phone started to ring.
" Don't get that" Chelsea pleaded in between kisses.
" I have to it could be important" Kevin replied slowly tearing himself away from Chelsea. Kevin walked over to the nightstand and answered the phone. Kevin watched as the smile on his face slowly faded.
" OK calm down we will be right there" Chelsea heard Kevin say.
After Kevin hung up the phone Chelsea asked. " Kevin what is wrong".
" Put your clothes back on now we will continue this later" Kevin told her.
" Kevin tell me what's wrong" Chelsea asked again getting nervous by the minute.
" Ill explain in the car" Kevin replied. " Just hurry".

Nick nervously paced the waiting room floor. He had just gotten off the phone with Kevin. Nick for the last half-hour had tried to make himself busy to make time go faster so he could hear word on his girlfriend. Nick had immediately called AJ'S but had gotten the answering machine so he had tried his cell phone and was successful. Now they were all on their way. Nick had gone to the chapel and prayed for Rachel to be ok. It had been the first time in awhile since Nick had prayed for something.
" Any word yet" Gina asked breathless.
AJ was running behind her trying to keep up.
" Not yet" Nick said.
Gina hugged Nick. " What happened".
" We were at the apartment and she was baking brownies and when she went to take them out she slipped and the brownies fell on her arms and burned them" Nick explained.
" Nick don't worry she is going to be fine trust me" Gina assured him.
" How do you know"? Nick asked.
" Because I have known Rachel for years and she has done so much worse" Gina explained.
Before Nick could answer Kevin and Chelsea came running into the waiting room.
" How is she" Chelsea asked.
" We don't know yet" Gina told her.
" What did she do now"? Chelsea asked.
" She burned her arms by dropping oven baked brownies" Gina told her " Are you friends of Rachel" A doctor? asked.
" Yes" Nick, yelled over eagerly.
The doctor gave him a weird look.
" He has A.D.D" Kevin explained.
Nick shot Kevin a dirty look.
" UM OK THAN Rachel's burns were second degree not too bad I wrapped them in gauze and put disinfectant on it" The doctor explained.
Everyone sighed in relief. The doctor continued.
She only needs to wear the skin graphs for a week and a half than they should be healed enough to take off but remind her to put the disinfectant stuff I gave her two times a day".
" We will doctor thanks a lot," Gina said.
" Your welcome she will be out of the E.R so you can take her home in a few minutes," He said leaving the room.
" See Nick I told you" Gina said.
" Kevin I do not have A.D.D" Nick said angrily.
That just made Kevin laugh as well as everyone else.
" Nick you never stop you're like a little kid I swear you forget to take your riddlin" Chelsea said.
Nick pouted. Rachel emerged and saw that everyone was laughing and Nick looking mad.
" What did Nick do now" Rachel piped up.
Everyone stopped laughing and all rushed up to hug her,
" Woah their people I need air here" Rachel complained.
" We are just glad you weren't hurt worse" Chelsea told her.
" Guys its no big deal I have done much worse this is nothing" Rachel replied with a shrug.
' We are your friends this is a big deal to us" Gina answered.
" Whatever I just want to get home," Rachel said.
" Ill take you home" Nick offered.
" Uh oh do I trust you to not try and kill me" She joked.
Nick shot her a look.
" Nick it’s a joke you know haha" Rachel said trying to lighten the mood. Nick sighed. " Lets go".

Back at the apartment Rachel sat on the couch and leaned on Nick.
" From now on use the oven mittens we own" Chelsea suggested.
" We actually have those" Rachel asked confused.
" Um yeah" Chelsea replied. " You should know that we have lived here for awhile now".
" Hey IM not the one that is taking classes to be a chef" Rachel reminded her.
" That reminds me I should probably schedule for my classes at the culinary arts school considering I start next week," Chelsea said sheepishly.
Rachel rolled her eyes. Kevin leaned over and whispered into Chelsea ear. " You think we should tell them".
" I don't know if we should because of what happened to Rachel today" Chelsea whispered back. " I want to post pone the move for a couple days anyway till I know that Rachel doesn't need anything.
" I understand" Kevin replied.
Chelsea and Kevin looked over at everyone who was starring at them oddly.
" We were talking dirty" Chelsea lied.
" Ok enough said" Rachel replied putting her hand up. " How in the world am I going to finish my paper for class" Rachel wondered aloud. " I so won't have time in less than a week when I get the skin graphs off".
" I'll help you I took yearbook so I can do the spread for you" Chelsea offered.
" Um that’s OK I'll try it with these things on IM sure" Rachel replied gratefully. " Thanks anyway".
" We so need to like have a party to celebrate the end of summer break" Gina piped up out of nowhere
" Um that came out of nowhere" AJ replied.
" I know but I was just thinking that we could all use to have some fun one last time before we have to be in class" Gina explained.
" How about we have a pool party at my place" Nick offered. " I could barbecue food and we can swim and have a great time".
" Sounds like fun to me IM in" Rachel responded.
" Me too' Gina said.
" I will so be there" Chelsea assured him.
AJ and Kevin nodded in agreement.
" OK than we will set the date for the weekend after school starts so that it will give us time for you guys to get adjusted to collage life and also it gives time for Rachel's burns to heal" Kevin suggested.
They all agreed to that. The gang spent the rest of the day watching movies and hanging out. At about midnight AJ yawned. " I should be getting home".
" Yeah Me too" Kevin agreed.
Chelsea and Gina walked their boyfriends to the door and kissed them good night. AJ and Kevin both promised to call the next morning.
" Can I stay over with you tonight" Nick asked shyly.
" Of course Nick I would like that very much" Rachel told him kissing his neck.
This immediately turned on Nick. Rachel got up.
" Night guys Nick and I are going to bed now".
" Yeah right" Gina replied rolling her eyes. " Don't make too much noise please".
Rachel and Nick ran into her room and started ripping there clothes off. Nick was gentle and stayed away from touching her arms and they began another night of "fun".