- Text Size +
Chapter 26
Everyone watched as Gina's feet slipped right under her and as she fell in the pool they all watched in shock as her head made contact with the board making a cracking sound. As soon as she hit the water AJ immediately swam and grabbed her before her body started to sink to the bottom.
" Shit call 911 now " Nick yelled.
Howie and Brian ran into the house. Nick helped AJ pull her up and Kevin steadied her neck so it wouldn't move. Once they got her up on to the pavement AJ immediately started CPR. Kevin kept her neck still. Nick looked over to see Rachel and Chelsea both in tears. Nick got up knowing that there wasn't anything that he could do since everyone had it all taken care of and enveloped Chelsea and Rachel both in a comforting hug. A few stray tears started to fall down Nick's cheek as thought of his best friend looking in that condition. AJ was forcing everything he had to not fall apart. His girlfriend needed him more than ever and he wasn't going to give up. Gina looked terrible with her pasty white skin and blue tinted lips. Her head had a deep cut that started to bleed on her head. " One, two, three, four" AJ counted out loud. At five he bent down and opened her lips and blew a breath. A few minutes later AJ thankfully heard the distant sound of a siren.

At the hospital the gang waited as patiently as possible in the waiting room for any news of their friend. IT had been an hour since the ambulance had arrived at the hospital with Gina who wasn't making movement or breathing on her own. Chelsea was in Kevin's arms crying wishing she could just wake up from this nightmare. Rachel looked out the window. The sun was down and all that could be seen was the streetlights down below. Nick walked over and put his arms around her, which Rachel was glad for the comfort. Howie and Brian were trying to keep AJ from losing his mind. Finally a doctor came in.
" You friends of Gina" He asked his voice emotionless.
" Yes we are" AJ replied jumping up from his seat.
" Gina has suffered a lot of head trauma she had a major concussion and when we did a cat scan she had some swelling in the brain which we gave her some medication that will help it go down".
AJ sat down trying to process everything the doctor was saying.
" Is she going to die" Rachel asked.
Rachel had seen enough of her friends in the past die and she didn't think she could handle one more.
" We are doing everything we can right now she is in a coma but I will allow one at a time in to see her and only for a few minutes for tonight and if you talk to her that may help improve her condition" the doctor suggested. " She can hear you I'll check back with you later".
The doctor left leaving everyone to digest the news.
" Well who wants to go in first?" Kevin asked softly.
After a few minutes of debate Chelsea was chosen to go first.

Chelsea slowly opened the creaking door and walked in. The shades on the windows were down and since it was nighttime the room was dark with very little light. The room was dead silent except for the constant beeping of the heart monitor. All and all in Chelsea's opinion Gina didn't look too terribly bad. Her skin was pale and only was hooked up to a heart monitor and IV. But than again it was the inside of her body that was fighting. The big wrap on her head showed that. Chelsea sat down and started to talk.
" Hey Gina its Chelsea um I can't stay long doctors orders and there are a lot of people who want to come see you so I want to say that you need to get better so we can still have that barbecue and…" Chelsea felt tears start falling down. " I don't want you to die" Chelsea than started sobbing uncontrollably and got up to leave back to the waiting room and into Kevin's warm embrace.
Chelsea didn't see the single tear that escaped Gina's eye. Rachel went in next. She sat down feeling very uncomfortable.
" Hey Gina" Rachel started.
" You know hospitals make me uncomfortable and to be honest I don't really know what to say but I guess all there really is to say is if you leave me I will never forgive you" Rachel laughed a little. " IM going to let the others come in so get well soon and Ill be back tomorrow" Rachel walked up and slowly trudged back into the waiting room. Chelsea was still sobbing in Kevin shirt.
" I think you girls should go home and get some rest" Kevin suggested. Both girls nodded.
" We should all go actually there isn't anything we can really do for her tonight," Howie said.
" IM staying" AJ replied softly.
" AJ your upset you need to get some sleep we will come back tomorrow" Kevin told him.
" Did you not hear what I said IM staying" AJ repeated firmly.
Kevin nodded and ushered everyone out of the waiting room. AJ decided to go in and see her. Once AJ walked in he almost broke into tears at the site of her. He made his way to the empty chair and sat down. Never taking his eyes off her for a second. It was like he was trying to will her to wake up. AJ genitally kissed her cheek and took her hand.
" Hey sweetie its AJ course you probably already knew that but still" AJ said trying to lighten the atmosphere. " I hate seeing you like this so if you can try and open your eyes for me so that I know your going to be ok".
AJ watched, as he got no response. " Ok if you can't open your eyes please squeeze my hand or something" AJ pleaded.
AJ had never felt more helpless in his life.
“Gina you can't leave me here you have so much to live for like your best friends and collage you still have to achieve your dream of being a doctor and what about us" He asked. " I can't imagine my life without you so please pull through" AJ begged.
Tears started flowing freely down his cheeks. AJ laid his head down on the side of the bed and cried till he finally drifted off to sleep.

The next morning Nick arrived at the hospital with a small box. Nick was hoping that talking to her about when they were kids might help some. It had been Rachel's idea. Nick opened the door quietly and smiled slightly. AJ's head was in Gina's lap. His hand still entwined in hers, which to Nick looked like a death grip. He could tell AJ had fallen asleep still crying by his tear stained face. Nick walked over and shook him.
" AJ wake up"
AJ slowly opened his eyes and lifted his head. " What time is it".
" It's eight thirty" Nick replied. " Listen AJ do you mind if I spend like ten minutes in here alone with her I brought a couple of things from our child hood and IM hoping it may help".
AJ nodded. " Ill just go and get some coffee"
AJ got up and walked towards the door. AJ turned around suddenly.
" Hey Nick".
" Yeah"
" Thanks" Aj whispered.
" Don't thank me man remember I am her best friend since we were four ' Nick reminded him.
After AJ left Nick took Gina's hand. "Hey Gina its Nick look I know that you can hear me and I know that I haven't been the best friend that I should have been but we all want you to come back to us" Nick said. " You remember the playground we used to play on when we were little" Nick smiled.
Nick had a terrible memory for the most part but he remembers always pushing her on the swings.
" You used to love me pushing you cause you were to lazy to pump your legs I miss those days and I promise that when you get better I will be a better friend" Nick swore.
Nick kissed her cheek and turned around to walk out the door and was surprised to see AJ, Rachel and Chelsea standing there.
" Awe" they said in unison.
Nick blushed profusely. " How long have you been standing they're listening" He asked.
" Long enough" AJ replied.
Nick walked over to Rachel and hugged her. The two strolled back to the waiting room with Chelsea walking behind them. The boys had picked up Rachel and Chelsea up and were planning on spending another day going in and out of Gina's room. AJ went back and resumed his seat next to her. A nurse walked in and checked her vitals, replaced her IV, and gave her more medicine. As the nurse started writing something in Gina's chart AJ asked,
" Is there any change".
" Her Vitals are starting to stabilize and the swelling has slightly come down" the nurse replied.
Aj felt somewhat relieved. After the nurse left AJ continued to watch over Gina talking to her and singing her songs and everyone took their turn in visiting her.

Gina felt like she had been swallowed in a black hole. It was a few days later and the doctors had told the gang that she was showing signs of improvement and was expected to wake up at any given day. Gina struggled to wake up. She could hear different voices coming in and babbling a bunch of nonsense. She slowly opened her eyes. Her vision at first was fuzzy as she tried to focus on a white thing that kept moving around. Finally Gina was able to make out that the white blob was a doctor. " Well your finally up I will go and get your friends" He said smiling.
Gina nodded. Gina knew that she was in the hospital by looking at the room and the doctor certainly gave that away.
" What happened' She wondered.
Her head was pounding like someone was repeatedly hitting her with a baseball bat. A few minutes later the doctor arrived with seven people all crowding around her bed.
" Ok IM going to ask you a few questions" The doctor told her.
" First do you know where you are".
" IM in the hospital" Gina replied weakly.
" Ok good do you know what state this is" The doctor asked.
" I live in Tampa Florida" Gina said.
" Ok last question " What is your name" The doctor asked.
" My name is" Gina started but she couldn't think of it. " Who am" She wondered.
She looked up into the faces of her friends and the doctor. Her lips started to quiver and a couple of tears ran down her cheek.
" I don't know my name or all of those people or who I am" She finally whispered.