- Text Size +
Chapter 40
Gina followed the Doctor all the way to ICU on the forth floor and was led down a corridor. The doctor stopped in front of a door.
" This is it," The doctor said solemnly.
" Thanks" Gina replied in a monotone.
Gina opened the door and the sight she saw almost made her cry out in horror. The room was dimly lit by the sun that peaked through the blinds and a dimly lit light from the room. Gina could hear the sounds of the heart monitor as it beeped with every breath that AJ took. She could see all the IV's and the breathing tubes that helped him breathe since he couldn't on his own. Gina slowly walked up to AJ and sat in a chair. She grabbed his icy cold hand and just starred at him. She didn't know what else to do. Finally she started to talk.
" AJ if you can hear me squeeze my hand". She got no response.
" AJ I want you to wake up and open your eyes because I need you and can't live without you" she choked down sobs.
She looked at AJ and could see that there was no response.
" Well IM going to go and let the others see you" Gina said getting up and kissing AJ on the forehead before leaving the room.

Chelsea couldn't believe this was happening. She sat in the waiting room waiting for Kevin to come back from his turn at seeing AJ. Chelsea sighed. She felt like the group was falling apart rapidly. They never talked or hung out as much as they used to and AJ and Gina had been fighting and now AJ could possibly die.
"Hey you what are you thinking about" A voice asked besides her interrupting her thoughts.
She looked and saw Kevin smiling softly at her from the seat next to her.
" Hey how'd it go in there?" Chelsea asked giving his hand a squeeze. Kevin small smile faded. " He doesn’t look good at all" He whispered. Chelsea gave Kevin a big hug.
" You know I think we should go and get something to eat in the cafeteria" Kevin suggested.
" I'M feeling kind of stuffy in here and I think that since we can't do anything for AJ right now we should have a nice dinner just the two of us and forget at least for an hour all the drama that’s going on" Kevin said. " W hat do you think"?
Chelsea smiled for the first time that day. " Sounds perfect".

" Honey are you feeling ok," Nick asked looking at the shade of green that Rachel's face had turned.
" Um yeah hold on," She said taking a run for the bathroom.
He had noticed that she seemed to have the flu. He followed her as she ran at top speed to the bathroom that was just down the hall from the waiting room. Nick walked into the girl's bathroom and held her hair why she puked. After she was done she looked up at him.
" You do realize that this is the woman's bathroom right"?
Nick laughed. " Yes I came in to help you ok now you look a little wiped out".
Rachel gave him a weak smile. " I think I have the flu nothing that you need to worry about" She replied. " Although I am quite tired".
" How about you go home and rest it's been a long day and you can come back tomorrow" Nick told her.
Rachel nodded in agreement.
" Ok cool I'll take you home". Nick said.
" No Nick that’s ok I have my car" Rachel responded.
" Ok Ill follow you because I don't think that there is anything we can do tonight". Nick said.
Rachel got up. " Lead the way".

" So tell me how was your day besides finding out the news about AJ" Kevin asked as he took a big bite out of his sandwich.
It tasted like rubber but that was to be expected with the hospital's cafeteria food.
" Ok I guess I had Rachel and Gina over going over some of the wedding plans and we have most of it decided" Chelsea explained.
" That’s great but what if AJ isn't well by the date," Kevin asked.
" Well that’s easy we just won't have it" Chelsea replied simply.
" The doctor said that it doesn't look good for him," Kevin admitted. " No one else knows this but he says that he has a twenty percent chance of living".
A few rears started to trickle down her cheeks.
" He has to live and he will if we stay positive".
" I know but its hard we have to be realistic and face the facts" Kevin said. " AJ is a fighter and with the help of all his friends staying positive and being there for him he has a chance" Chelsea said.
" I guess so but for now lets enjoy lunch and talk about something else" Kevin replied.
Chelsea decided this was the perfect opportunity to tell him her news.
" Guess what I did today" she said
" What" Kevin asked.
" You know that old Bob Evens that closed that they are trying to lease"?
" Um yeah the old grimy one right" Kevin recalled.
" Right well I leased it" She told him.
Kevin looked at her blankly. " You leased it but why its nasty and what are you exactly planning on doing with something as gross as that".
" Well I was thinking that since I want to be a chef and that’s what IM studying to be in school I would lease the building and turn it into my own restaurant" Chelsea explained getting excited.
Kevin smiled. " You know that would be so awesome what kind of a restaurant did you have in mind" He asked.
" I was thinking of something more along the lines of a bakery or pastries" Chelsea told him. " The problem is though I need to get a loan from the bank so that I can repair the place".
" No need for a loan ill provide the costs to the place" Kevin offered.
" Kevin I can't let you do that" Chelsea said. " IM not taking your money like that".
" Your not taking my money you are using our money" Kevin told her.
" Our money IM confused".
" You see since we are getting married the money isn't just mine anymore its yours too". Kevin replied.
" Still its not right" Chelsea continued to argue.
" Look I think that’s it’s a wonderful idea and I want to help and contribute to this project so its fine: He assured her.
Chelsea sighed. " Only if you're absolutely sure".
" I am trust me".
Chelsea smiled and kissed Kevin ever so passionately.

Rachel lay in bed. Her stomach was still queasy.
" You need anything before I go back to the hospital," Nick asked sweetly. " No IM fine IM sure it’s a bug or something you go on ahead and ill be back there later after I take a nap" Rachel assured him.
" Ok but If you aren't better in a few days I want you to go to the doctors" Nick told her.
Rachel rolled her eyes IM sure that it will be better besides I have to finish the CD so it will be out in stores by the end of the month".
Nick shook his head. " I don't think that you can do that the end of the month is next week".
" It's only the twelfth Nick" Rachel told him.
" Um no its not it’s the twenty seventh" Nick argued.
Rachel hoped out of bed and looked at the calendar that she kept hanging on the opposite wall of the bedroom. " It can't be the twenty seventh all ready," She thought to herself. Her fears were confirmed.
" Uh oh" She mumbled.
" What's wrong?" Nick asked coming over to where she stood.
" Uh nothing I am just late with my car payments" She told him. " Better pay that" She laughed nervously.
" OH ok well I am going to go and see how Gina is holding up" Nick said. "Ok I will be there later on" Rachel replied.
" OK bye baby feel better" Nick kissed her on the lips before grabbing his car keys and leaving.
After Rachel was sure Nick had left she picked up the phone and started dialing. On the second ring Chelsea picked up her cell phone.
" Hello".
" Hey its Rachel could you do me a big favor" She asked.