- Text Size +
So on my visit to Georgia I decided to sit down and think about things...

Kids


On the plane ride to Georgia, I closed my eyes and thought back to my final conversation with Howie right before boarding the plane. It was an odd conversation, but it helped me to put so many things in context.

"Nicky, are you sure you remembered to pack everything?" I shifted my carry on bag from one shoulder to the other. I had been loaded with so many presents for the girls and the soon to be new baby that I had enough luggage for three people.

"Yes D, I have everything, God you asked me that like a hundred times already!"

"It's not like you can turn around if you forget something. Do you have enough underwear?"

"Howie!" I looked around to make sure the whole airport didn't hear him ask me that.

"Well, you have forgot your underwear before" I put my hands to my eyes and grimaced.

"I guess I should go now, they are boarding" He hugged me. A warm and tight hug.

"Have a great time" He said as he pulled away from me.

"Thanks. I will"

"And don't think about things so much. I want you to have a great time. That's all. Don't worry about me or Dad or anything else. Be a kid" Then he winked at me.

Be a kid

That's something I never really got to be. A kid. I mean I was small, even tiny at one point, but a kid? Never. It was like Howie's parting words gave me the permission I had been looking for my whole life. Be a kid. Did I even know how to be a kid? I mean my whole life I have either taken care of my family or myself. Never been exactly carefree before. Maybe I could try and experiment while at Brian's.

So that is what I thought about while on the plane. How to be a kid. For this week, I was going to try my best to just relax and let people take care of me for once. And that is the last thing I said to myself before walking off the plane. Seeing Kevin, Kristin and my two nieces, I slowly transformed myself into an eighteen year old kid.

The girls came running at me full speed ahead, so I just dropped my bag, crouched down and opened my arms for them to fall into, which they both did.

"Uncle Nicky!" Tessa screamed in my ear. I didn't mind though. I loved the hell out of these kids. I wish I saw them more often.

"Tiss me uncle Nicky" Amber said.

"Tiss?"

"She means kiss" Kristin said coming behind me and giving me a huge hug from behind.

I pulled Amber close and gave her some raspberries on her neck making her crack up. Then I did the same to Tessa.

Kristin and Kevin just stood and watched me as I hugged their children, then in all the commotion I realized that Brian was nowhere to be found. I stood up while my two nieces held onto my legs, "Where's Rok?"

"They went to the hospital. Leighanne thinks she is in labor"

"Again" Kristin added rolling her eyes.

"Again?"

"Yes, this would be the third time she has claimed she felt labor pains. They get there, hook her up to a machine and then send her home. It must be gas or something" I laughed. Kristin was a nice girl but had little patience in the Leighanne department. Kevin tapped her on the arm as if to say that was not nice, but the huge smile on his face made me realize he felt the same way.

We walked down to the baggage claim, Kevin and Kristin ahead of me and the girls hanging on my hands skipping along to keep up with my stride. It felt good to be here.

"Goodness gracious little man! How many bags did you bring with you?"

"Don't blame me, it's Howie and AJ's fault"

"How so?"

"Tons of presents"

"Pwesents? Goodie goodie!" Amber said jumping up and down. I laughed.

"Great...thanks for announcing that out loud" Kris kidded.

I forgot how close Brian lived to the airport, we were at his house in only fifteen minutes. The sound of the planes buzzing by were always a constant reminder to him that he got his house at a relatively low cost. It was worth it though, the house was beautiful. A huge ranch style house that sits on about four acres of land. Leighanne had the whole front yard lined with rose bushes and various other flowers. Typical country style, and typical Leighanne.

The inside was wall to wall baby stuff. Boy was this kid going to be spoiled rotten. Gifts, stuffed animals, and diapers everywhere and he wasn't even here yet. Soon, but not yet. I felt a little twange of jealousy once again creep through my heart and tingling there until I let it pass. Not this week.

I dropped my carryon bag right in the living room. Kevin holding two of my three suitcases while Kristin was carrying the other followed my lead. I took a seat on one of their two huge sofa's and threw off my shoes.

"Boy, make yourself at home" Kevin said as he went to the phone to see if Brian had called with possible baby news.

"You know if they do have this baby today, Howie and AJ will want to come out as well"

"She's not gonna have the baby yet Nick"

"But she is due soon right?"

"Technically she has about three weeks left"

"Oh, so there could be a baby" Kevin kind of had shrugged and half nodded as he listened to the message from Brian. Then he smiled, "Not this time. False labor again"

Kristin laughed. "Maybe they should just keep her there until she has the baby. This way Brain can keep down the mileage on his car"

"They are going to keep her for a little while longer but then she will be released AGAIN!"

"Ah well" I said placing my legs on the coffee table in front of me. Tessa came and jumped on my lap.

"Give me a horse back ride Uncle Nick" Then Amber came and grabbed my leg and pulled it right off the table.

"I want my pwesents"

Kris came and sat down beside me, "Girls, leave your uncle alone, he is tired after flying here. He will play later" Both girls pouted. I got down on the floor on al fours, "No, that's okay. Who wants a horse back ride first?" I guess it wasn't a really smart move because both girls jumped on me at once, promptly knocking me to the floor and sending a jet of pain to my abdomen. I yelped. I didn't mean to but I couldn't help it. Kristin and Kevin were there in a second pulling the girls off of me. "Nick, are you okay?" Kevin asked sounding totally panicked. I sat up and smiled. "I'm fine Kev, just hurt a little it's no big deal.

Hearing the harsh tone in their father's voice both girls began to cry. "Shhh, it's okay. It's just that you can't jump on Nick like that. He has a boo boo"

Amber came over to me and hugged me, she was still crying. "I tiss it to make it better?" She said. I was melting. "NO but how about I kiss you instead?" and then I planted a big one on her cheek. I had to tickle her to make it complete and happily the sad face was now exploding with giggles. Cute little girl giggles.

My nieces made me mushy, it happened every time.

Tessa ran around me and grabbed my neck from behind and I let her pull me down to the ground. Then once I was laying down, I pulled her over my head and tackled her. I was tickle monster and I was showing these girls no mersey!

Kevin and Kristin just sat hand in hand watching us. Finally after about a half an hour of real playing we were all tired. I laid on my back in defeat as the girls mercilessly tickled me.

"You guys are making me really tired!" Kevin said, that sparked Tessa to run over to him and start tickling his stomach. He grabbed her onto his lap and massaged her back and it immediately calmed her down. It was amazing. Once calm he kissed her cheek and said, "Why don't the two of you, go and rest for a little while"

"Can we watch Beauty and the Beast?" I felt proud since I was the one that bought them that.

"Sure thing" Kevin said sweeping up Amber while Tessa walked next to him holding his hand. I smiled at my big brother. What a phenomenal dad. Once the girls were gone. I stood up and plopped next to Kristin on the couch. She laughed at how wiped I looked.

"Are they like that all day long?" I asked her.

"Yes they are but not usually as hyper. They are just elated to see their favorite uncle, that's all"

"I miss them"

"They miss you" She put a loving arm around me, "How are you feeling? You had us all worried sick about you. I never saw Kevin that scared in my life" If I said that didn't make me feel great I would be lying. I know my brother's worry shouldn't have made me so happy but still. It was nice to know.

"I'm much better now. I was scared to"

"I bet you were kiddo. Does it still hurt?" She placed her hand on my stomach.

"Not too much, I am making sure I am eating the right foods and keeping myself less stressed"

"I am glad to hear that. I don't think Kevin or I or anyone else for that matter, can go through that again. SO take good care of yourself. I don't enjoy watching my husband cry" She winked at me.

The thing with Kristin is, she knew me, funny but sometimes I think she knows me better then my own flesh and blood. And she knew I needed to hear that. Know how much I meant to Kevin because she knew he seldom told me.

Brian and Leighanne came in shortly after that. Brian carrying a small bag while Leigh waddled next to him. Wow she was really big. She looked like she was going to explode. Pregnancy looked good on her. They both looked exhausted. Poor guys. When he saw me, Brian perked up. "Hey Boo!" I got up and hugged him and then hugged Leighanne. My arms barely made it around her. I laughed. So did she.

"So it was another false alarm huh?" Kristin asked from the couch. Both of them nodded.

"He will pop out of there soon enough Leigh I promise!"

"I hope so, I can barely walk anymore" And she really couldn't. Leigh was so small that the extra weight made her look like that blueberry girl form Willy Wonka.

Brian helped her to the couch and then removed her shoes. You could tell that she really loved all the attention. "Thanks sweetheart. Where are those two beautiful girls?"

"Kevin is setting up a movie for them in the guest room. It that all right?"

"Of course it is" Brian said. Then he came over to me and sat down. I could swear Leigh shot me a look of contempt. I almost wanted to stick my tongue out at her. But I resisted the urge.

"Of course it is" Brian said. Then he came over to me and sat down. I could swear Leigh shot me a look of contempt. I almost wanted to stick my tongue out at her. But I resisted the urge.

"Brian my love, why don't you see if our guests would like anything to drink?"

"Oh of course, even though they aren't really guests. You need anything kiddo?"

"No I'm good"

"What about you Kris?"

I could see in Kristin's eyes she wanted to say how about a muzzle for the pregnant one, but she decided to go for a Coke instead. Brian returned with Coke and Kevin walking a step behind him.

"The doctor said I am dilated about two centimeters which means the baby will be here sooner than my due date"

"That's fantastic. Wow! You guys must be so happy"

"I'm nervous as all hell" Brian said looking down at his feet. He looked like he gained some weight. He looked good. Healthy and happy.

"They said if we come back one more time we will win the prize for most false labors!"

"Congratulations" I said. He responded by bopping me on the head.

I looked around the room and realized that I felt so safe in these peoples company. I placed my head on Brian's shoulder and he responded by putting his head on top of mine.

"You feeling okay?" He whispered to me as the other's were talking about something else.

"I'm good"

"Okay, remember Nick if you feel ill.."

"I know. I will" I said.

He moved and pat me on the back, "Nick and I are going to play some basketball. So is Kev, come on guys"

"But what if I.."

"Kristin is here, she will yell for me" He walked over and kissed Leigh. "Okay?"

"Okay"

The three of us ventured out into his yard, where of course he had a basketball hoop. He grabbed the ball and did a few free throws. "I love my wife, but sometimes.." I laughed.

"Oh yeah sure, laugh now..Wait until YOU are in my shoes" He threw the ball at me. I instinctively ran past him and did a lay up.

"God kid, you really have gotten taller haven't you?"

"Yup I have Kev" I threw the ball at him. Kevin bounced the ball for a while. In his usual slow contemplative way.

"So, Bri are you ready for all the responsibility being a dad will be?"

"I think I'm gonna throw up" Was his answer. He sat down on his driveway.

Kevin walked over to him and sat on the ball. He put his arm around Brian, "You will be fine"

"You think so?"

"I know so"

It was nice for me to see Kevin and Brian. I never realized how similar their relationship was to Brian and myself. Maybe that is why Brian was such a good big brother to me, he saw how it worked first hand.

"I haven't had to take care of anything in my life. I mean I never had my own pets or anything"

"You did have a fish in college didn't you?"

"Oh my God! Yes and I managed to kill it the very same day!"

"Oh" I guess that didn't help.

"What if I am bad at this whole thing?"

"You won't be Brian"

"But both of our parents were" I decided to sit on the other side of him now. Even though I decided to just stay quiet and let Kevin do all the talking.

"Yeah but you know what? I think they did us a favor because we know what NOT to do. I mean I think that puts us at a great advantage"

Kevin was so smart and wise sometimes. When he wasn't being a total control freak, he was a great guy.

"But what if.."

"Brian. You will not be Mom and Dad"

"Really?"

"Really. You are a great guy"

"And a great older brother" I decided it was time for me to interrupt, "I mean you have been so great to me Brian. You know..remember when you first told me the news?"

They both looked over at me, "Yeah I remember"

"I seemed unhappy for you, but I wasn't. I was jealous. Still am a little bit"

"Really? Nick why?"

"Because I wished..and sometimes still wish..that you were my father. I can't help but think how different things would have turned out" I looked up when I heard not a sound from either brother. They were both staring at me.

"What?" I asked after still some silence. Brian smiled then pulled me close to him, "I love you"

"I love you too. Both of you" I said. Kevin winked at me.

"Okay then, with you guys on my side. I will be able to do this"

"You will"

"Brian" Kris called form the kitchen window, "Leigh needs you" He got up and helped both Kevin and I to our feet. "You guys are the best" And then he ran into the house.

I grabbed the ball and did another lay up.

"You know what Nick?"

"What Kevin?"

"You amaze me sometimes"

And with that we played basketball until the sun set...