- Text Size +
That would have to wait though because I needed to celebrate A turning point in my life...

Most Likely To Succeed


Once I got home from seeing Shelby, I was not in the best of moods. AJ and Sarah sensing that, just kind of tip toed around me as I moped during dinner. We sat in silence for most of the meal.

"Howie called" AJ said right before letting out a big wet burp.

"How disgusting are you?" Sarah hit him on the side of the head and then she let out a burp of her own.

"That's my girl" He said patting her butt. I laughed.

"So what did he want?"

"What do you think he wanted Nick?"

"To check up on me?"

AJ nodded. I couldn't help but smile. "I think he will be doing that until I am 80"

"Yes I think you are right about that. It's a good thing I don't give a damn about you huh?" He said winking at me. "He wants you to call him when you get the chance"

That lifted my spirits. Maybe a good old call to Howie would be just what I needed to get my mind off of Melissa. I excused myself. Brought my plate to the sink, kissed Sarah on the cheek and made my way to my room to call my brother.

"Hey buddy" Howie said after my greeting.

"Hey. How's it going?"

"Good. Wondering why you haven't called me or anything"

"I've been busy Howie. Jeez!" He laughed.

"To busy to call me? Don't you miss me?"

"Not at all" I said trying not to laugh.

"That hurt's" He said pretending to cry. "So, heard from any colleges yet?"

"No" I was beginning to worry about that. My friends had slowly been hearing from their applications. Some getting accepted, others not. Brent hadn't heard anything either but Mark had been accepted to Florida State. That had Brent worried.

"Don't worry Nicky, you should be hearing soon"

"I hope you are right. I hate being up in the air"

"I know"

"So...when are you coming home?" He paused on the other end of the line

"You DO miss me. Hey Ricky. He misses me" I rolled my eyes at the phone. I heard her chuckle.

"Please save it. I only want to know how much more peace and quiet I have until you start nagging me again" I did miss him though. I was hoping he would say he would be coming home tomorrow.

"Probably Sunday" Three more days. Not bad.

"Okay cool beans dawg"

"Dawg?"

"Yeah, sorry I was being hip wit choo for a minute" He laughed.

"So...how are you feeling? AJ said you have been troubled about something"

"He is lying. Probably to get a rise out of you. I am fine"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes"

"And you are staying away from all the stuff you should be staying away from?"

"Yes"

"And you are staying calm?"

"God Howie.. Yes! Don't worry the crack cocaine keeps me calm"

"Not even funny Nick"

"I know...sorry. But yes I am fine. Okay? Nothing to worry about"

"And if you weren't?"

"I would tell someone" I said in a mocking tone.

"Good" He said sounding a little more at ease.

"I do miss you" I finally confessed. Even though he knew it all along.

"I know"

"Give Ricky a kiss for me"

"I will give her several" I laughed. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Bye Howie"

"Okay I'll stop bugging you. Hey Nicky, I miss you too"

"I know you do. Who else would you nag?"

After I got off the phone with Howie I sat on my bed just kind of staring at the wall. I was troubled. AJ was right on the money about that one. I was troubled about not getting into college, I was troubled about having to settle for working at a pizza place for the rest of my life and most of all I was troubled over thoughts about my sister. All overpowering me at once. It didn't help matters any when the next day at school..

"I got in!" Brent said jumping on my back. I shooed him off of me and then grabbed him in a head lock.

"Super bro! I am really happy for you!"

"Yeah, when I told my folks I thought they were going to die from shock" I could see them just standing there with mouths open staring at Brent in amazement. I bet they were sure they would be supporting him for the rest of his life.

"I bet"

"Yeah, they are taking me out tonight to celebrate. You know showing me off to the relatives. Look at our son the soon to be college kid. You want to come?"

"No that's okay. I have plans, but thanks anyway"

"No word for you yet?"

"Nope"

"That sucks ass man. I told you, you should have applied to Florida State" Now I was beginning to regret my desicion not to.

"I guess if worse comes to worse, I could apply late" He pat me on the back.

"Now you are talking Kaos! You and me taking Florida by storm! How cool will that be man?"

I nodded but I was disappointed. I really thought that maybe I had what it takes.

"Why so glum?" AJ asked me when I walked in the door.

"Huh?"

"You, glum..why?"

"Not glum. Just...what the hell kind of word is glum anyway?"

"Answer the question young man!"

"You taking nagging lessons from Howie?"

"Yes he has taught me everything I know" I moved into the kitchen to grab a drink.

"I'm just bummed because everyone seems to be getting into college but me"

"Oh..well maybe this will help then" He said throwing a huge manilla envelope at me. I looked at it and my eyes bulged. Suddenly nothing scared me more then the envelope in front of my face.

"Well go on open it up! I am dying to find out what it says" he said to me. I handed it back to him.

"I can't"

"What do you mean you can't. Open the damn thing!" He threw it at me again. I hadn't even looked to see which college it was. I turned it around to see it was from the University of Georgia. That made me nervous once again as I handed it back to AJ.

"Can't"

"I am going to clock you boy!" AJ said laughing at me. "Open the damn thing. See, I told Sarah I should have just steamed the stupid thing open"

"I can't do it. Will you open it for me?" He took it from me. "Are you sure?"

"Yes" I said closing my eyes.

"Nicky, it's no big deal. If you don't get in you don't get in"

"It's a big deal" I corrected him.

"Okay, here it goes" I took some deep breaths which he found very amusing. I couldn't look.

I heard the envelope open, heard him take out a paper and just waited. Nothing. I peeked through my hands at him as he continued to read.

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"Did I get in?"

"Oh..you sure you want to know?" I was ready to pounce on him but his smile made me relax.

"Congrats kiddo!" I grabbed him in a hug.

"Not only did you get in, but they are giving you a writing scholarship!"

"What?" I said now ripping the paper out of his hand.

As I scanned the paper, which I would carefully read after getting into college would sink in. I noticed they offered me a HUGE scholarship for my grades, my accomendations and especially the essay I wrote. Words escaped me, all but one.

"Wow"

"So...guess it's college by Brian then huh?"

"Wow, I did it AJ. I actually did it" He grabbed me and kissed my head.

"Of course you did"

I wish I could've had as much confidence in myself as AJ seemed to have in me.

"Are you gonna call Brian and tell him the great news?"

"I'm so excited I just want to call everyone at the same time!"

"That's why God invented the speaker phone kiddo" I laughed such a big belly laugh that I seemed to get AJ laughing too.

I called Brian next but unfortunately, he was not yet home from work and I didn't much feel like telling Leighanne before him so I held it in and called Howie. Again no one was home.

"Where the hell is everyone?" I yelled as I dialed Kevin's number. AJ and Sarah just kind of watched me in the background smiling.

"Kevin?"

"Nick?"

"Hi"

"Hey buddy..um..you kind of caught me at a bad tme, I was just about to run out to a meeting. Is something wrong?"

"NO"

"Then is it okay if I call you back?" I sighed, "Yeah"

I put down the reciever and grunted.

"Why is it when something bad happens you all have all the time in the world but when something GOOD happens.."

"That's how fate works kiddo. Ain't it a bitch?"

"I bet your dad would love to hear the news" Sarah suggested, much to the disgust of AJ.

"Maybe" So in a fit of temporary insanity, I called my dad and told him the news.

I hated calling that place, because you never knew what exactly you were going to have to deal with on the other end of the line. Maybe one out of five times, you would get somebody who actually understood they needed to find my father for me. Most times they just left the phone hanging until one of the staff would finally pick it up and get my dad. Thats what happened this time.

"What?" Dad got on the phone sounding as grumpy as ever. I wanted to just hang up. I should have just hung up.

"Hi dad. It's Nicky"

"I know who you are. What do you think I'm a moron or something?" I shifted. When he was like this I felt like a scared five year old all over again.

"I know, I'm sorry"

"Yeah what do you want? I was in the middle of watching television" I know he meant literally. He watched the television. Always on mute too.

"I just wanted to give you some good news"

"Did you win the lottery?"

"No"

"Then I'm not interested" I rolled my eyes and turned away from AJ and Sarah. Suddenly I was embarrassed by this conversation.

"I got into college dad"

"I thought you already were in college"

"No dad. I am a senior remember? I just found out today that I got into college and I got a scholarship too"

"Good because there was no friggin way I was going to pay for your no good lazy ass to go to school" My heart sank. How could I think he would care? I suddenly found myself pretending he cared so this way I wouldn't look like a fool to AJ.

"Yeah, it's almost a full scholarship for writing. They gave it to me because of the essay I wrote about you. remember?"

"Uh huh..So when are you coming to visit me? I really need some money and some cigarettes"

"Thanks Dad. I am proud of myself"

"What the hell are you going on about?" He asked sounding even meaner. If that was possible.

"It's the University of Georiga"

"Oh..okay, I have to go Nick"

"Thanks dad"

"God you are such a dumbass!"

"You too!" I said and THAT one I meant.

"Whatever", he said and then hung up the phone on me.

"Yes dad. Thanks for always being there for me. I love you too!" I said and then slammed the phone down. I pasted on a smile and turned towards AJ and Sarah.

"He is very happy for me" I said. Sarah had a huge smile on her face but AJ knew better. He had one eyebrow raised and a small smirk on his face that read who do you think you are fooling little brother?

"Well, I am going upstairs for a little bit. I said as I started to run up towards my sanctuary.

"Nick!" AJ called to me. I turned, "Yeah?"

"Screw him!" he said. Sarah looked shocked. I'm sure they would get into a fight about it once I left ear shot. AJ telling her to mind her own business he knows his dad type of thing.

"Yeah" Is all I said, before disappearing.

I closed my bedroom door and had the urge to cry but I fought it. I was not going to let that man ruin one of the most important days of my life. He is mentaly ill, that's all. He doesn't have the capacity to care about anyone but himself. Instead I forced myself to think about what a great thing it was for me, a kid who never thought he would even graduate, now going to college.

I did it.