- Text Size +
She was talking about life. How life changes like a whirlwind from month to month and year to year. We will never know what to expect. I mean look at me, I never expected to be here talking to all of you did I?...

School Daze


Five days before graduation and I was really feeling it. All the emotions, all the jubilation and especially the senioritis. School almost became ridiculous once I got into college. I found myself doing nothing but daydreaming and dawdling the day away. Wondering how many roommates I was going to have. If there was going to be an odd amount, would I be the one left out of everything? The odd man out. I mean I had an odd amount of friends now. Mark, Brent and I. For them, I was the central figure. The one person they had in common, but what if it wasn't like that in college? God what if I was the loser who stayed at home studying while my much cooler roomies partied and brought home gaggles of women and..

"Mr. Carter? Hello is anyone in there?" I was brought out of my little internal panic attack at the sound of my whole English class laughing at me. Mrs. Christopher standing by my desk looking unamused. I smiled at her, "Sorry" I whispered to the sounds of more laughter.

"That's fine with me Mr. Carter, maybe we can all visit the little galaxy you were just visiting" She smiled at me and then rolled her eyes slightly before continuing on with whatever she was saying before I zoned out.

"Anyway, I need that form filled out by the end of this period so that they can announce the winners by the end of the day" I was confused. I had no clue what she was talking about. I looked down at the form on my desk and groaned. Again much louder then I intended too.

"Is there a problem Mr. Carter?"

"Uh..no. Sorry"

"My my you are quite apologetic today" I looked down at the sheet. It was one of those stupid ass surveys that every single senior class filled out every year. The results usually would show up in the yearbook, but our highly inept yearbook staff had run so behind on everything, this stuff was left out. So they figured since it was SO important, yes like I would totally die if I didn't know who was crowned biggest flirt by my graduating class, they felt the need to do it this way. Voting and then an announcement followed by pictures that would be posted somewhere.

I gazed down at all the fluffy things. "This is why I hate school" Mark mumbled to anyone in earshot. I laughed. When Kevin was in high school, he got almost all of these stupid awards. Best looking, biggest flirt, nicest eyes, most popular, most talented and I think he also won best athlete. Brian also got that one. I think AJ won class clown. Howie and Melissa didn't get anything, but I don't think it bothered them much, kind of like it wouldn't bother me either.

Just for fun, I found myself putting Mark and Brent's name in every single category. Except for best looking female. For old times sake I gave that one to Kelly. I never understood why, in times of distress where kids went around shooting their teachers and each other because of stereotypes, why they would still do these silly things. It made no sense to me at all.

When I was finished filling out my survey I went back to thoughts of my soon to be new life. My life away from home. When they figured out who you would be living with, they would send a little info packet home including the person's phone number and likes, dislikes etc. Should I call or wait to get a call?

The bell rang so I put that thought on hold. I would resume it during Political science. I stood up and collected my books only to have Mark knock them out of my hands. He laughed and pointed as they all fell to the floor. He deserved the biggest jackass award. Hands down.

"Mr. Carter!" I stopped picking up my books and turned. Thinking I was in trouble.

"A word please" Yup definitely in trouble for something.

"I accidentally dropped them I'm sorry"

"Once again apologizing I see" I bit my bottom lip. If she was mad, she showed no sign of it.

"I have a favor to ask of you" She said looking down at our last pile of essays we had to hand in.

"Okay, what is it?"

"I am the senior class advisor this year Nickolas and Quentin, your class vice president was supposed to make a speech but he decided to hand off his duties to someone else"

"Can he do that?"

"I'm making him do that Nick" She pulled her glasses down the bridge of her nose. She was in extreme intense mode. When she was like that I almost wanted to run away. This woman had helped me so much, but yet a part of me was still really afraid of her.

"So, what can I do for you Mrs. Christopher?"

"Nickolas, I would like you to make a speech for graduation"

"Oh no I can't do that Mrs. Christopher"

"And why not?"

"Because...I..just can't" There was no way I was making a speech in front of a thousand people. No way.

"Nickolas, I would not ask you if I felt you weren't capable"

"It's not that, I just..."

"Nick, once again I am going to say I wouldn't ask if I didn't think you could do it. You are great with words"

"But.."

"You will be able to handle it"

"But.." She looked me directly in the eyes, "You can do it Nick" She smiled and nodded her head for reassurance.

"Besides, you don't have a choice"

"Mrs. Christopher, there are so many other people who could do it better then me"

"Good for them, but I want your speech done by Thursday"

"Please Mrs. Chris.."

"Nickolas, you know I absolutely detest whining! Go you are going to be late for your next class"

That being said I gave her one last pleading look which she ignored and left the room. On my departure from the classroom I was met by Mark, who had decided to spy on me, I guess hoping that I found myself in a heap of trouble.

"You are making a speech Carter?"

"I guess"

"How the heck are you going to pull that off?"

"I don't know. I'm hoping I can convince her that she is making a mistake"

"I think you'd do a great job" Kelly said walking behind us. How in the world did everyone know the news already? Sometimes I felt like this school was really the CIA.

"Thanks Kel"

"It's the truth, I think you are the best pick. Good luck" She said and gave me a warm hug. I missed her.

Now not only was the rest of my school day focused on thinking about college dorm rooms and new buddies, but now It was also focused on this stupid speech. "I'm gonna make a friggin fool out of myself" Brent looked at me from behind his Science text book, "God Kaos, you will be fine"

"I don't know man, I say pretty stupid things when I'm speaking in public"

"I know you do, that's why I can't wait" I balled up a piece of paper and flung it at Mark. The teacher looking down at his notes didn't see.

"Kaos..trust me on this, you will be fine. You will make a great speech, just like everything else. Sometimes you really piss me the hell off"

"Okay, sorry I'll stop complaining now"

And I did. Just like that. I stopped thinking about speeches until after I got home from school. I hugged Sarah, grabbed a Coke and made my way upstairs to think about what I could possibly write about.

"I'm making a speech" I told Brian on the phone about ten minutes later.

"You are? Nick that is terrific! In front of everyone?"

"Yeah"

"Wow! So..what are you gonna say?"

"I don't know"

"I am so proud of you! This is awesome"

"Help me Brian, I have no idea what to say at all"

"You'll think of something" Great advice. Thanks Brian. I got off the phone with him and sat staring at the blank piece of paper before me. I wanted to make this speech something special. Something that everyone would remember. I rolled my eyes, yeah like anyone will even remember who I was anyway.

"Studly!"

"Doesn't anyone believe in knocking anymore? Remember that AJ? When a door is closed you knock before you enter. Like wow what a concept"

"Oh..sorry, my wise ass detector must not be working" I laughed.

"So working on your speech?"

"Trying, how did you know?"

"Brent called"

"You?"

"No dumbass! He called you"

"Is he on the phone now?"

"No, he said he didn't want to bother you. He figured you were working on your speech, he just wanted to say he was dropping by later to play basketball"

"Cool! Thanks bro"

"And I hear you were voted nicest eyes huh studly?" I was going to kill Brent.

"Yeah"

"And you were also voted nicest looking? Not bad" He placed his finger on me and pulled it back, "Ooh yes you are a hottie"

"I think the voting was off"

"Oh don't be modest studly, you are a nice looking boy! Congrats" I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment. I couldn't believe I actually won a few of those cheesy ass awards. Mark won class clown and Brent ironically won Most Likely to succeed. Why is anyone's best guess. I would think that his additional win for biggest flirt may have something to do with it.

I turned away from my brother and once again focused on my speech. The one I would be making in less than a week...