- Text Size +
Kevin paced the small room wondering what was to be done that day. Many of the younger soldiers had been relocated to help with the remainder of the fighting; the injured where being prepared to be moved to the large hospital that was a three days ride from the fort.

“ Jerold I thought you’d be reading your troops?” Kevin said seeing his brother entering the room.

“ I asked for a three week ferlow while I help you and Isabelle back to your home.”

“ We have Jeremy, I had assumed that your troops would need you.”

“ Not really. With the war over many of the soldiers where told to return home so I finally decided that it was time to bond with my family again, I’ve been gone to long.” Jerold said looking at his little brother.

“ Yes you have, and I agree we will need some help getting home.”

“ Are you saying that cause you want me along? Or cause of Jeremy and Isabelle?”

“ Both OK. Plus I wanted to be sure the house was safe. With Dianne and Isabelle returning to the plantation I didn’t want them getting hurt if anyone that was against the south still remained.” Kevin said looking at him. Jerold laughed and patted his brother on the back.

“ I understand. Let’s go home. Isabelle, Jeremy let’s go.” Jerold called to the two lovers. Jeremy helped Isabelle into the waiting carriage and then looked at Kevin.

“ Will you be riding with her sir?”

“ Yes, it’s near to impossible for me to walk in this state. Plus I want to be riding with my two lovely ladies.”

“ All right, commander do you have your horse?”

“ Yes I do, fetch my horse and Kevin’s from the barn and then we will set off.”

“ Kevin’s?”

“ What do you think your going to ride boy?” Jerold asked.

“ Good point sir.” Jeremy said heading off to the bar to retrieve the two horses. Once they mounted and Dianne had joined them again they were off to the Richardson plantation.



Kevin saw the large entrance to the plantation come into view. He had often wondered if there would even be a house for them to return to.

“ I bet the house still stands.” Isabelle said breaking into his thoughts.

“ I am not so sure about that.” Jerold said pointing to the large estate.

“ Oh no.” Isabelle said, tears rolled down her cheeks, her father had had the house built for her mother and now over half was burned to the ground.

“ It will be all right Issy.” Kevin said touching her arm. Isabelle smiled and then looked at Dianne.

“ It was a beautiful house.” Isabelle said.

“ It still is, just needs a little work.” Dianne said looking at the house. Over half of it was burned down and what remained seemed to have broken windows and even the large arch that made the front entrance was gone.

“ Welcome home.” Kevin said quietly.

“ Yeah what’s left of it.” Isabelle said from her place at her father’s side.

“ It will be the same pristine place that you grew up in Isabelle. Just give the workers time. Remember we were at war for so long.”

“ I know, mother would have been sad to see the house in such disrepair.”

“ I know, but we will rebuild and we will have the best house this side of Alabama.”

“ Daddy that is strange to say, we have the best house in Kentucky, well we did until the war.”

“ I know darlin I know.” Kevin said slowly getting out of the carriage.

“Master Kevin?” A young man said walking towards him.

“ Arthur?”

“ Yes sir, it’s been three years sir, we worried you and Miss Isabelle had parished in the war.”

“ We are safe, some minor injuries but safe. You and your family stayed here?”

“ Yes sir, you freed us before going off to the war, and when Miss Isabelle and Father Brian had been captured we wanted to stay and protect your home.” Arthur said looking at Kevin.

“ Did anyone else stay?”

“ Yes sir, Marie and Martin and Matthew and Penny stayed sir. We wanted to keep this house in good condition. It’s in disrepair but workers are coming from town to help work on it.”

“ By who’s orders?”

“ Your brother sir. Master Jim was here.”

“ Looks like our other brother stepped out of the shadows huh Jerold?”

“ Looks like it.” Jerold said from his place on the horse.

“ The bedrooms and the main part of the house is still intact if you’d like to come inside out of the cold.” Marie said from the doorway.

“ Marie, I’ve missed you.” Isabelle said hugging the older woman.

“ Shush now child everything is fine.” Marie said hugging the smaller girl close. Jeremy walked up behind her with a smile on his face.

“ It’s a right nice thing you did escorting the Richardson’s home.” Marie said looking up into Jeremy’s eyes.

“ Actually Marie this is Jeremy, he kept me safe during the war, while father was ill, we’ve become close.”

“ Are you going to be callin on a soon to be married lady?” The older woman asked.

“ Marie, it’s fine.”

“ But what about Master James?” She asked looking into Isabelle’s eyes. Isabelle for the first time thought of James and looked down at the ring she still wore on her finger. The thoughts of his never returning flooded her mind; tears threatened to fall down her pink cheeks.

“ Marie, James was killed during the war, Isabelle was told of this just a few months ago. Her heart had already started to belong to young Jeremy here. I guess when a lonely girl is left to find someone that understands love is found in a different place.” Kevin said looking at Marie and then towards Dianne.

“ Oh I am sorry Miss Isabelle. Please forgive my forwardness, I’ve cared for Isabelle like my own child while her mother was ill.”

“ It’s all right Marie.” Jeremy said looking at her. Marie nodded and stepped aside as everyone entered the large house.

“ Wow.” Dianne said looking around. The house was nearly as large as her own but the staircase that lead up to the second floor seemed to almost glitter in the candle light.

“ Come it’s time for us to retire for the night. Marie will show you to your rooms.” Kevin said making his way slowly up the staircase. Marie nodded and showed the others where they’d rest for the night.

“ Are you not hungry sir? We could have Matthew find Penny and little Celia and start supper.”

“ My goodness with all that has gone on I’ve completely forgotten the time. Please have them prepare supper and then send someone to get us.” Kevin said. “ And Marie, make sure there is enough for my entire family, all of them.” Kevin added looking at her. Marie smiled knowing what he meant as she made her way down the stairs to fetch the others.



As promised Marie returned to get everyone for supper, Kevin was tired but agreed to come down and eat a little something. He sat with Isabelle at his right and Dianne sat at his left. Jerold, Jeremy and the remaining staff sat around the table to enjoy a nice quiet meal. Jerold seemed to enjoy watching his brother interact with what were once his slaves.

“ So tell me why didn’t any of you leave?”

“ Master Kevin was a kind master, never beating any of us, and seeming to treat us all like family. My Marie and I had been here the longest, nearly raising Miss Isabelle from her birth.”

“ Yes that is very true, Marie and Arthur have been here since we first built this house. Arthur actually helped in the final construction which was the arch way outside.” Kevin said looking at the older couple.

“ How many of the freed slaves remain?”

“ A total of four of us, well actually seven with young Celia. But most of us keep to ourselves and come and go as we please.” Adam said.

“ It seems that a lot has changed. But our family still remains the same.” Isabelle said looking at the group gathered around the table.



The wedding was only a few hours away. She had taken the time to go and see him, her long teal dress flowing in the wind as she looked at his gravestone.

“ My Dearest James. How much I’ve missed you.” Isabelle said touching the stone with her fingers.

“ How much there is to tell you. I’ve met a wonderful man that wants to make me his wife. I wanted to wait, and have but now it’s nearly time for that day to finally come true. I had often wished that it was still you that I was to marry, but I know that you approve of this marriage and are watching us both from heaven.”

“ They are happy.” Kevin said walking up to her. Isabelle turned and looked at him, the silver and black cane he carried was all that reminded them of his time in the war, the reconstruction of their home reminded them of how much everyone had lost in those years.

“ Yes they are, and I know that Dianne makes you happy. And today she becomes your wife.”

“ And with you by my side to welcome her into the family I couldn’t be happier.”

“ Then come we’ve got guests arriving and your bride will be wondering if you changed your mind.”

“ I’d never change my mind, but I guess if we don’t get there she might.” Kevin said with a laugh.

Isabelle smiled and climbed back into the dark carriage they had come in. She knew that her father was happy and even if it had been nearly a year since they had returned home, he was excited that he was finally going to marry the woman he loved, the woman that helped fill the place in his heart that had died when Kristin had.

Kevin walked threw the large doors of the house and headed up the stairs, Isabelle headed to the room that was below the staircase.

“ HI.” Isabelle said as she entered.

“ Where have you been?” Dianne’s frantic voice asked from behind the small curtain.

“ Sorry, I needed to talk to someone and so did dad. Why don’t you come out from behind there so I can help you with your corset?” Isabelle said trying not to laugh. Dianne stepped out from behind the curtain, and Isabelle smiled.

“ You look lovely.” Isabelle said walking up to her, the dress was long and had a pale pink bodice with little embroidered baby rose buds over the organza, the dress was worn so that it was slightly off her shoulders, the long white dress was set off by the pink silk underskirt. Isabelle moved behind Dianne and hooked the small delicate hooks and tied the bodice as tightly as Dianne had instructed. She could see the beautiful neckline that had more flowers and ostrich plumes, this dress was one of a kind and she could tell.

“ Been waiting a while for this day?” Isabelle asked as she fastened the pearl necklace around her neck.

“ Very much so. Do you like my dress?”

“ Yes very much.”

“ Father ordered it specially made. Took nearly a year to finish making it.”

“ It’s very beautiful, and it makes you look even more breath taking than before, my father will be swept away.” Isabelle said as Dianne turned and faced her, Dianne’s dark hair was pulled up in a beautiful bun and a headpiece was placed neatly on top, setting off the pale pink of the lacy vale.

Dianne kept playing with the gloves she held in her hands and the small diamond ring she wore.

“ I am so scared.”

“ Don’t be, just remember it’s my father down there waiting for you.” Isabelle said handing her a bouquet of flowers that consisted of red, pink and white roses tied neatly together with a strand of lace.

“ I sure hope he hasn’t changed his mind.”

“ Believe me he hasn’t. But to set your mind at ease I will go and check on him, your mother wanted to talk to you anyway.” Isabelle said hugging the woman before exiting the room letting an older woman in.


Kevin paced the small room he had been instructed to wait in. He hated waiting; he wasn’t this nervous marring Kristin. He turned when he heard a knock at the door.

“ Come in.” He said thinking it was Jeremy or one of his family.

“ Hi dad.” Isabelle said with a smile. He hadn’t seen her since they had returned to the house and was grateful that it was her that had come to see him.

“ Hey, Issy what brings you here?”

“ Seeing your nervous bride’s mind at ease and checking on you. My you look handsome.” Isabelle said walking forward. Her father was dressed in a black suit that was set off by the white shirt and neatly tied necktie. The slightly ruffled shirt under the jacket set off the suit.

“ Thank you, how is Dianne?”

“ She’s as nervous as you are. Uncle Jerold said that he’d be in shortly to get you. Everyone has arrived and are anxiously awaiting the start of the ceremony. As am I.” Isabelle said turning and looking towards the door.

“ I know. I’ll see you after the ceremony.” Kevin said turning her and hugging her tightly.

“ I know you will. I love you dad.” She said kissing his cheek before exiting the room quickly. Jerold smiled at his niece as he entered the room to get his brother.

“ You look beautiful.” Jeremy said pulling her into his arms.

“ You look handsome. I can’t wait until we do this.”

“ Only a few more weeks my love.” Jeremy said kissing her quickly.

“ I’ve got to go. Dianne is going to be a wreck if I don’t return.” Isabelle said wiggling out of his gasp. She hurried back towards where Dianne had been and then heard the music start.

“ Time to go.” Isabelle said as she opened the door. Dianne looked up at her and nodded, taking her father’s arm she followed Isabelle to the entry of the room. Isabelle waited and walked down the isle and then took her place near the minister. The music changed and everyone turned their attention to the doorway, Dianne walked threw the doorway with her father as people smiled at her. Her vale was pulled over her face as she walked closer to Kevin. Kevin couldn’t believe that she was so beautiful and how much like an angel she looked. Her father turned and kissed his daughter before placing her arm on Kevin’s.

“ Take good care of my little girl.”

“ I will sir.” Kevin said before taking Dianne’s hand and walking closer to the minister for the ceremony to begin