- Text Size +
The pot was boiling and the heat of the kitchen was getting to be almost too much for her. Again she was rushing, always rushing. Summer solstice was approaching and there was to be a huge celebration; she was in charge of planning it. Her partner, Nicole, was sent out earlier to get some of the final ingredients she needed to make her award-winning stew and the potion that they started earlier. The sun was fading and she feared for Nicole, being out late. A knock came crashing down on the front door, and she jumped with fright. The knock would not be that of Nicole, since she knocked tenderly.
She wiped her brow with the edge of her apron and made her way to the door. "Who is it?" she asked.

"Someone who wants to help," the voice replied.

She opened the door and stood face to face with a man, a man she never thought she would hear say the words 'I want to help'. She stood staring at the minister of a local church. "And you are the enemy, how can you help us?"

"I know that you and Nicole are going to be brought up for trial soon; my wife is the accuser. Your charges are witchcraft."

"We are full aware that we are going to be charged with witchcraft. Again; I ask how you intend to help us?" Hoping that he would give herself and Nicole a way out of what awaited them, she listened for the minister to give his answer.

Unsure of what happened exactly, the next thing Lorena remembered was being pulled from her house by this man and dragged into a jail where she was told Nicole would join her shortly.

Her memory flashed ahead through the trial and then to the execution day; she remembered this part and wished she could tear herself away, but something inside made her continue on with the memory. They were accused of being witches, and the minister's wife made sure that no one would object to their deaths that were to happen the same afternoon. They were to be burned for their crimes.

Lorena and Nicole held onto each other as long as they could until they were torn apart and tied to their seperate poles. The people were lighting the twigs with their torches. Lorena looked out past the flames and set her eyes on the minister and his wife. Glaring at the both of them now, she strained her eyes to try and see who she was up against in this life. She watched long enough to see the minister was almost afraid of his wife, then came the screams from Nicole and her own searing flesh pain jolting her back awake.

The person sitting next to her was looking at her in a strange way, afraid to ask if his fellow passenger was all right. The seatbelt light was off, so she made her way to the bathroom and was able to splash some cold water on her face. She stood in the airplane's bathroom for a few minutes and thought about her dream, the faces, and what that meant for this life. There had to be some reason that memory surfaced now.

Suddenly it hit her who the faces in her dream were, and she knew now what she had to do to defeat this person who caused Nick and herself so much pain.

*****

"Well, your little girlfriend should be off the plane by now. Let's see if I make the phone call if she's there to recieve it." The kidnapper picked up the phone and dialed.

"Hello?" Lorena's quiet voice answered.

"Ah, yes, there you are. Are you ready for your next direction?" the disguised voice asked.

"Mandy, cut the bullshit, I know it's you," Lorena firmly stated.

"Perceptive, aren't you? However did you figure it out?" Mandy asked, now taking away what she had used to disguise her voice.

"How I figured it out doesn't matter; you won't get away with it."

"Call the police and I will kill Nick now. Don't think I won't know if you do call them either. Are you ready for your next direction? That is, if you aren't afraid to face me."

"Oh, you don't scare me. Where are you?"

Mandy gave directions to Lorena as to where she could be found. She didn't, however, tell her what traps and devices would be waitng for her when she got there.

Afraid to make any more phone calls, Lorena hailed a cab and gave the directions to where she needed to be, finding out only when she got there that it was an abandoned warehouse.