- Text Size +
"Shit how am I going to do this?" Nick pondered to out loud, but to himself. The sun was beginning to set, and he was desperate to think of a plan, any plan to rescue Rose. There was no way he could just walk into through the front door and take her out the same way, he was sure someone would be alert. He desperately needed his fellow Backstreet Boy, Kevin's advice. He knew Kevin would have some sort of plan or idea by now, and if he didn't one of the others would. Of all the people to have to save this woman, why was it up to him? It never crossed his mind that he did not have to help this woman; he could just walk away now and wander in this world until he found his own home again. Saving her never felt like something that he was able to walk away from.
He paced, it was all he could really think to keep himself busy. He thought that Albert would have been back by now, but he was still absent. Sighing, Nick decided that he would have to just charge in and leave as quickly as he could. Of course, the Doctor would lock Rose's door, and that was going to be an obstacle too. Thought of the stone seeped into his head at that point and made him wonder what kind of powers the stones actually had. He knew that Albert was able to fly using wings, but was that a power of the stone, or was Albert more of a freak then he already thought? Nick couldn't think of anything else to do, so carefully he pulled what the others had referred to as a dragoon spirit, out of his pack and held it in front of him. He held it there for a few moments, simply staring at it.

"How am I supposed to make this thing work?" he said out-loud but to himself. He concentrated hard, staring at the stone, using his will to find out how to work the damn thing. Finally he had to stop, his head was really hurting him now. He started to pace again, hope was beginning to fade, he was lost in what to do next. He turned back around to continue pacing when a rattle stopped him. Scared he moved no further and scanned all around himself. Panic struck him, as he looked not even three feet away a rattlesnake sat, head perched, tail flickering, ready to strike if he were to move. Something happened in his fear, his mind crossed over to the Spirit briefly and his mind relaxed like everything would be all right.

Before he knew it the snake was striking at his legs, but his legs were no longer on the ground. He looked around himself startled. He was floating in the air, not only that, but when he looked down at himself he was dressed in some heavy red armor and a slight breeze could be felt on his ears and neck. He swiveled his head and saw wings on his back. Nick's breathing became faster and he was even more nervous now then he was on the ground with the snake. He was flying, like Albert when they told the story of the Dragoons in their own world.

A few moments passed as he tried his new abilities out, flying from one spot to another. Soon he was very sure of himself using the wings that the Spirit provided him. Soon his thoughts went back to Rose in the sick house. He needed to act quickly, who knew when that doctor would make his move to terminate her life if Nick's feelings were correct about him. Now that he had mastered his flying skill, Nick knew he would use that. Since he was clueless as to how he even used the stone, he was unsure how much longer it would last. Swiftly he flew to the door of the sick house, opening it easily. The hoards were still in the room, sleeping, groaning and adding new smells. With his purpose in mind, he flew to the back door and opened that one as well. There was still no sign of the doctor or his nurse. With a slower pace, he flew to the door he saw Albert and the nurse carry Rose through. As he tried the door his suspicions confirmed, indeed he found the door locked.

Nick tried to kick in the door, the force flying him backwards and not even leaving a dent in the door. "Damn it!" He shouted in fury. "Why can't I just have a fucking explosion or something?" His anger boiled and Nick swore he was starting to see red. He shook his head and blinked a few times hoping his vision would return to normal. His vision did not grow to be any better, in reality, the redness became stronger in color and now Nick was feeling a burst of heat. He screamed out, he needed help he had to be sick. He opened his eyes a little more and noticed that the door had now fallen away, the heat was still strong, but he was there for a reason, he needed to take Rose far away from this doctor.

He flew as quickly as he could into the room, carefully lifting her from the bed and flying back through the door. The screams in the waiting room were becoming louder and stronger. Still unable to open his eyes very wide, Nick could only make out people running towards the door, screaming in pain. What is going on? He asked himself. Just past the screaming patients, Nick saw a green blur moving in. He was sure it had to be Albert using his Dragoon Spirit.

"Rose Storm!" Albert shouted.

Nick felt a cool sensation cover him. He still felt the heat, but it was no longer crippling to his actions. Nick flew steady noticing the screams subsiding finally he reached Albert.

"Nick! What the hell did you do?" Albert shouted at once.

"I don't know." Tired and relaxed, Nick found himself float gently to the ground no longer covered in his armor, nor flying. Nick looked back to the sick house he had just left, fire burned throughout the whole building. The roof was collapsing from the heat and flames, people were running around scared at what was happening still. Other townsfolk watched from a distance, not wanting to help for fear of infection with whatever disease inflicted the poor folk. He gasped at what he saw. What happened to the sick house? He pondered.

Albert turned to look at the mess, then back at Nick. "Well you got her out, now stand here and wait!" He flew back towards the house and herded the masses out to safety. Nick watched, astonished at Albert's apparent skill with his Dragoon Spirit.

"Albert should be the one leading this group, not me." He said to himself as he watched. "How they came to the conclusion that I should be the leader is beyond me." Nick decided he would tell Albert his decision when he finished.

"Albert is not destined to lead." Roses voice from behind startled Nick. "It is not meant to be his burden. Only you can lead us to the true reason we are here."

Overcome with gladness at Rose's recovery, Nick smiled at her. Nick then questioned her, "Why do you say I'm the leader? How do you know it's me and not him?"

"I don't know yet, but I do know that Albert is not meant to lead us." Carefully Rose pulled herself into a sitting position, cringing at the pain still apparent in her side. "There is something about you Nick Carter, some characteristic you share with our friend Dart in our home world. I can not explain it any better then that right now." Roses' seemed to become stronger as she spoke.

"I don't know how to lead." He mumbled, not sure she heard over Albert's cries of gladness when he saw his comrade recovering. He watched as Albert fawned over Rose and her wound and began to wonder about who was missing him, who was missing them, in their worlds. Nick sighed and resigned to take the role that was assigned to him at the moment. "We are both glad to see you recover, but we need to make sure her wound stays closes permanently. We should head towards that town the doctor claimed we would find an angel in."

Rose and Albert nodded in agreement, though Rose had to have Albert explain soon after they started. Not knowing the actual direction for themselves, they decided they would follow the patients that were ousted from the burned sick house; after all they were all headed in the same direction.

*****

In her travels she came to many towns that looked similar to her newest stop. Graves had popped up where the dead had fallen. Only a few remained to bury their loved ones and townsfolk. Slowly she made her way towards a grave she spotted under a tree. Dug roughly into the surface of the stone she saw simply "Momma", probably from a nearby rock, the grave intrigued her and she stopped a few moments to bow her head in reverence to the lost soul.

She had hoped to catch the cause of the death before it left again, but was unfortunate in her timing. She had been on the journey to catch the death cloud since she had first heard of its appearance. By the time she caught on to location, it had come and gone. Slowly she was noticing a pattern and following it, formulating her plan for when she confronted it all the while. Too many tombs were covering the lands; those that hated her and her people were dying. She had only a mild sadness for the dead, but she was out to make sure that her own town and family never went through the same sadness.

The pity left her quickly and she spit on the grave before turning to find out what the people of this town might know about the disease, the plague she knew by its true name: Wulf.

The many houses and huts sat silently, one glowed with light and she made her way to the inviting house. She cleared her throat and prepared herself to act sickly nice to the survivors of Wulf's Bane.

"Hello?" She called out when she reached the entryway.

Cheerless faces greeted her. "What do you want here?" a harsh voice towards the back asked.

"I'm on a mission of vengeance." Sure she lied, but she found the villagers decimated by Wulf more receptive to one that was out for vengeance against the evil, then someone who wished to control the power for themselves. "That 'thing' took my family and I wish to annihilate it." She hoped she sounded convincing.

The man in the back stepped into the light and the woman took in her first look of him. Tall, dark, and muscular, he stood about a foot taller then her. He simply wore a kilt of light brown material; probably horsehide sandals adorned his feet. She found him quite attractive, and if circumstances had been different, she might have found a way to bed the mighty steed that stood before her. Quickly she looked away so as not to stare.

"My name is Paneb, and I too am out for vengeance against this monster." The man spoke finally. "Might I inquire as to your name?"

Assessing the situation, she thought it wise to answer; she might possibly have some use for the brute she just met. "Eve, my name is Eve. Maybe we can arrange some sort of deal Paneb and hunt this evil together." He would make a good guard, and she was sure that eventually she could sway him to her side, and see how controlling the power of Wulf was ultimately better.

He invited her in, allowed her to sit as they took their evening meal. His eyes rarely left her; there was something about her that Paneb could not place. There were few women that he knew that would clothe that this Eve woman chose to adorn. Still, she was out with the same mission he intended to take up, she had to be a worthy companion. Paneb settled on the fact that this woman would lead him to Wulf one way or the other, and he had no reason to doubt the validity of her story. He had seen the destruction, she had seen it, they wanted the evil gone, and she was on his side.

*****

Walking through the aisles of the church, the head priest had just received word from one of his many in the fellowship. In anger he crumpled the paper the messenger had handed him and tossed into the nearest fire. He stopped before the alter and reflected for a moment, letting the soft chanting behind him sooth his nerves. He knew he must consult the oracle as to his next actions. The life of his god, his path to power, his very way of life depended on the steps he was going to take next.

He kneeled before the alter, said a quick prayer and then looked upward towards a golden idol. "I shall not fail you Master Wulf." Tossing his robes behind him, he walked to a side room to consult the oracle.