- Text Size +
Storms End
By Vicki © 2004

** The Present **

Kevin watched her every move, she loved her restaurant and he enjoyed watching her work at it. Storms End that was what she called the place. She moved threw the restaurant as if it were an extension of her. The large black and silver wooden tables were surrounded by dark colored chairs. The lighting was high chandeliers that hung above each table. The entire room ended up looking like the inside of a ship, with the ropes and the metal windows. She had spent a lot of money having the restaurant built.
“ Hey.” She said upon seeing him.
“ Hi.” Kevin said kissing her.
“ Sorry, it’s kinda busy today. Do you and the guys want your regular table?” She asked looking at him.
“ Just me and Nick today.”
“ Really? Where is everyone else?”
“ Other errands.” Kevin said.
“ Hi Audra.” Nick said smiling sweetly.
“ Hello Nick. Come on you two, I’ll show you to your usual table.” She said grabbing two menus and leading them to the large table that was in the back. The table that she had for them was towards the back of the restaurant, she made this one special, the booth was set up like a captains table on board any ship with the large wide table and the big seats. She had even had their names inscribed on the tabletop. It was their table even if they weren’t in the restaurant.
“ Wow, had the table changed again I see.” Nick said looking at it.
“ Yeah, last time you guys signed it I had them inscribed onto the table and then it glossed. Now it’s a rather nice attraction here at Storms End. You two want anything to drink?”
“ Just you.” Kevin said pulling her into his lap. Audra giggled and kissed his lips lightly.
“ Kevin I have to work.” She said.
“ So, so do I.” He said slyly. Nick laughed and looked over the menu.
“ Pepsi please.” Nick said politely.
“ Same.” Kevin said.
“ All right, I’ll get the drinks and then Ashley will be with you for your food order.” Audra said wiggling out of Kevin’s grasp and heading for the bar.
“ You live to make her nervous don’t you?” Nick asked.
“ Sometimes. So do you think the guys are getting the cake and everything for the party later?” Kevin asked the younger man.
“ It’s Audra’s birthday, of course we have everything. Alex said he’d call us once they had everything. When is Audra done?”
“ About an hour. That was why I figured we’d come here.”
“ You’re going to take an hour to eat?”
“ Believe me I can savor the food around here.” Kevin said as Audra set the drinks in front of them. She smiled at them both and then headed away from the table.
“ Plus with as busy as they are it’s going to take them a while.” Kevin said with a smile.


AJ walked threw the door of Kevin’s house with Howie and Brian.
“ OK do we have everything?”
“ I sure as hell hope so.” Howie said. They headed into the house with their packages. Brian put the cake on the table as Howie placed the ice cream in the freezer to keep it from melting any more than it had already. Brian had called the pastry chef at the restaurant to get the cake made and they had picked it up before Audra had come back from her bank run. Howie had picked up the ice cream at the store on their way back from the restaurant, along with a few more things for the party. Kevin had insisted that they have the party there at the house. A tent had been set up in the backyard where the caterers were dealing with the food and making sure everything was set up for that evenings festivities. A DJ had been called to provide music but they knew at least a few times they’d be singing that was how it always worked. Kevin had invited a lot of people they were expecting close to a hundred people for that night’s party.
“ Damn Kevin really loves her.” AJ whispered.
“ Yeah he does. Hey look what else he bought.” Brian said setting the small velvet box onto the table.
“ He’s going to propose?”
“ Yep, they’ve been dating for nearly two years now. I think it’s about damned time.” Brian said with a smile.
“ Yeah.” AJ said smiling.


Outside the workers hurried to set up everything for that night. Several men looked out of place of all the others. Making sure that things were in place as they put chairs and tables up. They kept looking up at the house, in a few short hours they’d spring their surprise but would the birthday girl be ready to explain about everything that had happened in her past. They had snuck a few of her former friends and colleagues onto the guest list. One of the waiters smiled evilly knowing that this was going to be one hell of a night.