- Text Size +
a/n hey, thanks for reading and PLEASE keep reviewing... I'll be needing some inspiration so keep sending me some random words, okay?...

“Yup.”

“Max!”

“Speaking. Who’s there?”

“It’s Kid. Listen, I need to talk to you.”

“What ‘bout?”

“Nick. We were hanging out together and he said he loved me.”

“So?”

“What do you mean so? Hello, freaking out here? I never figured he felt… that way… about me.”

“Hold up. You mean he hasn’t said this to you before?”

“No. Why would he want to say this to me?”

“It’s obvious, you moron. He loves you, duh.”

“No, he doesn’t. He can’t just fall in love like that.”

“Oh, yeah says who? And are you sure he hasn’t said those three words before?”

“Of course I’m sure. Why are you asking me stupid inane questions right now?”

“They’re not stupid. Nor are they inane. Didn’t you two go out together when you were… I dunno… 16? 17?”

“What? No! I don’t think of him like that. And he doesn’t think of me like that. Or he didn’t use to. Did he?”

“I’m sure you two went out on a few dates together. You were 17 and it was spring break. He had a few weeks off and you two went everywhere together. I swear, you two were attached at the hip.”

“He’s my best friend for God’s sake. Best friends are like that all the time. Plus, I hadn’t seen him in months. It's not like I had many friends in high school."

“Yeah, but-“

“Wait a minute. You thought we were dating?”

“Duh.”

“Did, um, Nick think we were dating?”

“I’m pretty sure he did.”

“Did he say that specifically?”

“Yep.”

“Oh, man. This is bad. Why didn’t anybody tell me this?”

“We thought you two were dating, okay. Naturally, we thought you were aware of whom you were dating.”

“Fuck. This is just great.”

“Hey, Adrian’s here. Hold on.”

“Hey, kiddo.”

“Hey, Adrian.”

“I hear you’re freaking out.”

“Big time.”

“What ‘bout?”

“Nick just told me he loved me.”

“So?”

“What do you mean so?”

Kid heard Max say something.

“Wait a minute. You didn’t know you were dating him in high school?”

“No! I wasn’t dating him. At least not intentionally. Why didn’t you two tell me this? What is wrong with this family?”

“Hey, don’t get mad at me. Back then, he was already telling me he loved you.”

“WHAT?? What is wrong with him? Guys don't go around telling their oblivious best friend's brothers that they love their sisters. Why didn’t you tell me this?”

“I figured he already told you.”

“No, he didn’t tell me. I wonder why he wouldn’t do that. Oh, maybe because we WEREN’T DATING??”

“Geez, okay. I hear you loud and clear. From here on in, I’ll be sure to tell you if Nick tells me he loves you, okay?”

“And inform me if you think we’re dating?”

“And inform you if we think you’re dating.”

“God, I can’t believe we just said that.”

“Me neither. I’m turning into a teenage girl and it’s all your fault.”

“No it isn’t. You’re half a teenage girl already.”

“Whatever. So now you know he loves you. Anything else?”

“Well, this might just be one of those fleeting things, you know. I mean, he falls in love with a new girl every other week.”

“Wanna know what I think?”

“Not really.”

“I think that it’s unlikely that Nick could fall in love with the same girl twice, especially if, like you said, it’s the kind of love that’s fleeting. Maybe he loved you from the start, and only you. And when he realized that you didn't feel the same way, he just tried thinking about other girls for seven years. The last person he dated was a blonde girl named Paris, for God's sake. If that doesn't scream the obvious, I really don't know what does. Now that he’s wised up and realized what he really wants – you – he’s going for it.”

"God, you make us sound so pathetic."

"It wasn't intentional. At least not on his part."

“Adrian?”

“Yeah?”

“Goodbye.”