- Text Size +
Chapter 12

Nick looked down at the medicine bottle in his hand. He was sitting on the couch and he was just staring at it. The doctor had percribed it to Nick because she thought that it would help him from falling into a deep state of depression. His fingers rolled over the label. He didn't need this. He could have done this on his own, but no she wanted him to take this. Even after he had insisted that he would be fine without them.

Nick stood up from the couch with the bottle still in his hand. He tightly clutched it as his anger began to rise. He looked at the bottle again. That was it, he was fed up. Anger took control of Nick. The bottle went flying across the room. It hurt the wall and the contents was scattered all around the area in which it fell. His eyes went over to the end table and his fist went into the lamp. Causing it to fall onto the floor and shatter.

His heart was pounding and so many things were running through his mind. Nothing seemed to make sence any more. It was like everything that was going on was some sort of sign that he wasn't supposed to be happy or something. It angered him beyond belief to believe that there was something trying to keep him from being happy. His anger took over again. He flipped over the table in which the lamp had sat. It fell to the floor, making a loud crash as it landed.

Tears filled his eyes as he looked at the floor. Quickly, he brushed them away and went into the kitchen. Knocking stools over by the counter as he stormed by, he went to the draw and roughly pulled it open. His shaky hands pulled out a knife. His eyes studied the razor sharp edge of it. This was going to end it all. Brian would take care of Tyler. He was a good man.

Nick put the knife to his left wrist. With his hands shaking, he dragged the knife. Blood began to pour from the down from his wrist. The knife fell from Nicks hand as he began to feel light headed. Nick soon dropped to the floor himself. His eyes were becoming heavy and soon it was too much for him to keep them opened. Nick slowly drifted off into the darkness.

"Tyler," Brian shouted causing Tyler to look up at him, "we should get going man. Daddy's probably home by now."

"Uncle Brian can we please stay? Just a little longer," he asked.

"I'll bring you back tomorrow alright?" Brian told him.

"Alright," Tyler answered sadly as he walked over to Brian.

"When we get home," Leighanne said, "I'm gonna make you some lunch alright? Cause I'm sure you're hungry by now, aren't you?"

"Yeah," he told her. She smiled and they walked over to the car. Brian was glad that the park wasn't too far from the house. Only a few minutes. At least that way they could be home quickly and he could talk to Nick. He wanted so badly to know that he was going to be alright. Once they were in the car and Tyler was safely in his car seat, they were off.

"Guess what uncle Brian," Tyler said as he looked in the front seat.

"What kiddo?" he asked.

"Dada said he was gonna get me a puppy," Tyler said with excitement in his voice.

"Really?" Brian asked.

"Yeah. He came in my room last night and I told him about the monsters. I told him to set a trap so we can keep 'em as pets but he said no but he said that would get me a puppy today. Do you think that he got me my puppy?" Tyler said quickly. Brian laughed at Tylers excitement.

"I think that he might have waited so that he could take you with him so you could pick out your own puppy," Brian answered.

"Ya think so?"

"Yeah man," Brian told him.

"Cool." Brian smiled as he looked at Tyler through the rear-view mirror. It only took a few minutes for them to get back to Nicks place. Brian stepped out of the car after he pulled it into the driveway.

"Leigh you get Tyler out, I'm going inside to check on Nick alright?" he said to her.

"Alright Bri," she answered as she walked to the back seat of the car. He smiled at them then walked into the side. His eyes widened and his breath was caught in his throat as he looked into the living room. What the hell happened? Nick must have gotten angry, Brian thought to himself. He sighed and relaxed.

"Nick," Brian called, "what happened man." There was no answer. Brian walked over to the stairs, maybe he did hear him, "Nick," he yelled again. He was beginning to become nervous again. Why wasn't Nick answering him? Brian looked around the living room one more time and then he walked in the direction of the kitchen. He saw one of the stools lying the hall way as he neared the kitchen.

"Nick," he said softly as he walked into the kitchen. He gasped when he saw Nick on the floor laying in a pool of blood, "oh my god." Brian said. He ran to the other side of the kitchen and grabbed a wash cloth. He ran back over to Nick and wrapped it around his wrist to hopefully slow the bleeding. Once he had it around Nicks wrist he grabbed the phone and dialed 911.

"Brian, Tyler went upsta....." she stopped when she looked into the kitchen. Her heart was pounding and her eyes were wide with fear.

"Yes please come over quickly," Brian said as he hung up the phone.

"What happened?" she asked.

"Nick tried to kill himself," Brian answered as he knelt down next to his friend. He lifted the knife that was near Nicks body and Leighanne looked down at it.

"Oh my god," she said softly. She wasn't sure whatelse she was supposed to say.

"Go upstairs and stay with Tyler. I'm going to go to the hospital with Nick when the paramedics get here. Just try and keep Tyler calm and don't let him know what happened. Just yet anyway," Brian said.

"Alright," she said as she walked quickly out of the kitchen. Brian could hear her walking up the stairs. His eyes went down to Nicks pale body. Brian brought his hands together as a tear formed in his eye.

"Please God, let him be alright," he prayed, "please let him make it." Brian jumped up when he heard the sirens from the ambulance. The parametics went back to where they were and began working on Nick right away. Before Brian knew what was happening, they had Nick on a strecher and they were taking him out to the ambulance. Brian went with them. Once at the hospital, Nick was taken out of the ambulance quickly. His heart was racing a million miles an hour.

"We have a male, 22 years in age. He's slit his wrists in an attempted suicide," one of the nurses said. Brian was moving with them until they reached a private area of the hospital.

"I'm sorry sir, you're going to have to wait out here," one of the doctors said to Brian. He nodded and took one last look at Nick and stepped away. He sat down in one of the chairs oppsite of the room that they had taken Nick.

"Excuse me sir," a police officer said causing Brian to look up at him.

"Yes officer?" he asked.

"Are you the gentalman here with Mr. Carter. They told me that this was were I might be able to find you," he said.

"Yes sir I am," Brian answered as he stood up.

"I'm officer Kelly. You are?"

"Brian Littrell," he answered, "I'm Nicks best friend."

"Want to tell me about what happened."

"Yeah, uh. Well, this all started about six months ago actually. His girlfriend was killed in a really bad car accident and he's been felling depressed and guilty about it," Brian started to explain, "and my wife and I have been staying at his house for the past couple nights so that he wouldn't have to be alone. Last night he got really worked up and I set up an appointment with a doctor. So my wife and I took his son out to the park for awhile. Then when we got home, the living room and kitchen were fairly trashed and he was bleeding really bad. He'd cut his wrist with a knife."

"Mr. Littrell, I'm going to tell you what all the doctors and nurses are going to tell you when they talk to you. I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but it is against the law to attempt suicide. Once Mr. Carter is better, we're going to have to send him to another hospital," the officer, "just to see if he's going to be alright mentally. They're going to keep him there for at least 72 hours. If after that time the doctors still feel that he is a danger to himself as well as others, they hold the power to keep him longer."

"So Nick's going to be sent to a mental hospital?" Brian asked.

"Yes, but it's not for a very long time. He does have to stay there for the 72 hours thats required though. We aren't doing this to be mean but because he has some problems if he was willing to do this. We just want him to get better," officer Kelly explained. Brian looked at the officer, he didn't know what to say.

"Is he going to be okay?" Brian finally said. He knew that the officer didn't have the answer, but he just had to ask someone.

"I don't know, sir. Have you talked to any doctors yet?"

"No, I haven't talked to anyone since I've been here," Brian answered.

"Well maybe no news is good news," the officer said to Brian, "at least his condition hasn't worsened."

"Yeah I guess," Brian replied.

"Well, you take care of yourself now. Just remember, things happen for a reason. I don't know what that's going to do for you, but just think about it alright son," the officer said as he walked down the hallway in which he had appeared.