- Text Size +
Chapter 3

"It was great to see you, Kaos," AJ said as Nick and Brian headed to the door, "we were all real worried about you man. I'm glad that you're feeling better. The old Nick will be back in no time."

"Don't count on that," Nick replied, "I'll never be who I was before. Too much has happened. Will you settle for a close to normal Nick though?"

"As long as you're alright," AJ told him. Brian smiled at them. The conversation about Tyler really helped Nick feel better.

"We'll see you J," Brian interupted, "we've got something important to do."

"Alright see you guys around," he replied as Nick and Brian walked through the front door.

"Do you think they'll give us Tyler?" Nick asked. Brian smiled. He could tell how excited Nick was about the chance of seeing his son. It was what he needed.

"I'm sure that they will."

"Alright, let's get going," Nick answered.

The ride to pick up Tyler was silent. They were both secretly hoping that they could get Tyler. Brian knew that this was one of the last of the good in Nicks life. If he could get Nick to be happy, things would be better. Nick wouldn't be depressed. That was something that he felt too much of. It was time to put it to an end.

"We're here," Brian said as he stopped his car in the driveway. He looked over at Nick, "You ready for this man?"

"Of course I am, Lets go get my son," he answered as he opened the door to the car and stepped out. Brian walked out of the car and over towards Nick who was heading for the front door. "Here goes nothing," Nick said and rang the bell.

"Daddy!" Tyler yelled when he opened the door and saw Nick standing there. Nick smiled and picked him up and hugged him. Brian smiled at the sight.

"I missed you kid," Nick said to him.

"Tyler who was it?" a female voice yelled and soon showed at the door, "Nick?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry that I didn't call, I just had to see him."

"What kept you for so long?" she asked.

"I had to pull myself together. Now that I have, I want to spend time with my little man here," Nick said smiling at Tyler.

"Does that mean I can go home grandma?" Tyler asked with his blue eyes lighting up brightly. Brian noticed that Nicks were too.

"If your father wants you too," she answered looking at Nick seriously. He looked at Tyler and smiled. Tyler smiled back.

"Go get your things," Nick told him. Tylers eyes became even brighter as he ran to get his stuff.

"Are you sure that you want to take him?" she asked.

"Yeah, I've been away from him for too long," he replied, "I just want to make up for lost time. I am sorry that I never came before today."

"Be good to him. Tyler is my only grandson," she told Nick.

"And he's my only son. He'll be fine, I promise."

"Lets go daddy," Tyler yelled as he attempted to drag his bag out of the house. Nick smiled at him and walked into the house and over to Tyler.

"Let me get this Ty," Nick said picking up Tylers bag. He looked up at Nick.

"I had it ya know," he informed Nick. Brian let a small laugh escape his lops. Nick just stood there and smiled.

"Come here you," Nick said taking Tyler, squealing in delight, under his free arm and walked him out the front door. Nick put him down and went to put the bag in the trunk. Tyler ran up to his grandmother.

"Love you grandma," he said as she kissed his cheek.

"Be good for daddy alright?"

"Yes, grandma," he said.

"Now go," she said and he ran towards Brians car. Nick helped him in and Brian turned to Tylers grandmother.

"Thank you for letting Nick take him," Brian said, "Tyler is really important to him even though it didn't look like that. You had to see the look on Nicks face when I suggested this. He was so happy and excited."

"Tyler needs his father. He already lost his mother. I let him go so easily because he's been asking about Nick. He wanted to know where daddy was. I couldn't say no when Nick came. Tyler needs this."

"Never the less, thank you for the chance for Nick to do this. It really means a lot to him," Brian explained, "It makes him feel close to her."

"Make sure that he takes care of Tyler."

"Alright, but I'm sure that Nick is going to take good care of him," Brian responded.

"Thank you."

"Brian!" Nick yelled, "we're waitin for ya man!"

"I've got to go," Brian said and smiled, "I drove. But thanks again for letting Nick do this. Personally, I think it will help in the healing process."

"Brian, we're waiting man," Nick yelled out of the window. Brian laughed and smiled. He was extremely relieved that Nick was feeling so much better.

"I'm coming relax," Brian replied and walked over to the car. Tylers grandmother was still standing in the doorway watching them closely. She remained there, just watching, until they had driven far enough away that they couldn't see her anymore.

"We home yet daddy?" Tyler asked egarly from the back seat. Nick smiled and turned to face the back seat of the car.

"Not yet man," he answered, "but soon."

"Is mommy going to be there?" he asked innocently. Brian looked quickly over at Nick. He looked as if he was fighting off tears.

"No, sorry," Nick finally forced out.

"Where did she go?"

"To heaven," Nick answered reluctantly. Brian looked at Nick to make sure that he was alright. He was upset but he was hiding it from both Brian and Tyler.

"Why daddy?"

"Because she had to," he told him hoping that this would end the conversation.

"Is she ever coming back?"

"No," Nick answered.

"Why not?"

"Tyler," Brian said, "mommy's in heaven. When you go to heaven, you don't come back."

"Why not? Doesn't she love us?" he asked. Nicks heart broke into a million pieced and he looked at Brian for the answer because he didn't have any words left in him.

"Of course she did. She just had to go away. I'm sure she didn't want to leave you or daddy," he explained, "and I'm also sure she misses you both dearly. I also think that she would want you two to be happy."

"Oh," Tyler said. Both Nick and Brian knew that he didn't completely understand what Brian had meant though he didn't ask any more questions.