- Text Size +
Chapter 5

"Daddy!" Tyler yelled waking Nick from one of the best nights rest that he had experienced in the past six months. He looked over at the clock and saw that it was only 7:30 and he groaned. Why did Tyler have to wake up so early? "Daddy?" Tyler said as he opened the door to Nicks room and looked over to where Nick was laying.

"Yeah buddy?" Nick answered sitting up.

"I'm hungry," he said climbing onto the bed next to Nick, "what are we gonna habe for breakfast daddy?"

"I don't know. What do you want?" Nick said letting Tyler get comfortable next to him.

"Ummm...." Tyler said leaning aganist Nick. Nick smiled down at his son. He was going to get through this, he knew it now.

"How about, we go look and see what we have alright?" Nick asked.

"Okay," Tyler said jumping out of the bed then ran towards the kitchen. Nick laughed and slowly stood himself off of the bed. Then he walked out to the kitchen where he saw Tyler sitting at the table.

"So," Nick said opening the cabinet to reveal that he had no cereal, "shit," he said under his breath. What was he going to do now? He didn't know how to make anything decent.

"Need some help?" Brian asked walking into the kitchen with a few shopping bags in his hands. Nick turned and smiled at his best friend.

"You're a life saver."

"Yeah well, I knew that you weren't used to having a kid around so I woke up early and figured I would get you a couple things to get you started," Brian told him with a grin on his face.

"Morning Tyler," Brian said walking over to him and messed up his short hair. Tylers giggles filled the kitchen as Brian played with him.

"Lets see what uncle Brian got us," Nick suggested as he looked into the bags, "I've never seen so many kinds of cereal in my life." Brian laughed.

"I didn't know what he liked so I brought a variety so that there has to be at least something in there that he likes," Brian exlpained.

"Good idea," Nick replied then he started to take boxes out of the bags, "well we have Fruity Pebels, Fruit Loops, Rice Krispies, Cocoa Puffs, Golden Grams, Frosted Mini Wheats, Frosted Flakes, Corn Pops, Apple Jacks and Lucky Charms. So which do you want?" Tyler walked over to Nick and stood up on the stool at the counter and looked over the cereals.

"Can we have some Lucky Charms?" Tyler asked taking the box into his small hands.

"Let me get that for you okay Ty?" Nick said taking the box from Tyler, "now go sit at the table."

"Okay daddy," he said and ran over to the table and sat next to Brian, "uncle Brian are you going to have any?"

"I don't know, I'll think about it," he answered Tyler.

"We can share mine if you want," he told Brian. Brian smiled at Tyler and laughed.

"Thanks man, but I think you need to eat it so you can grow big and strong," Brian replied, "I mean that's why they're called Lucky Charms."

"Really?" he asked as Nick placed the small bowl in front of Tyler.

"Sure, now eat up," he answered. Brian looked over at Nick once Tyler had started eating his cereal. Nick was sitting at the table with them. He was looking at Tyler proudly. That boy meant everything to Nick.

"Good?" Nick asked.

"Uh hum," he answered with milk spilling down his cheeks. Nick smiled and laughed and then stood up and walked over to the counter and grabbed a paper towel.

"How 'bout we get you cleaned up there buddy," Nick said then started to whipe Tylers cheeks. Tyler giggled then started to eat his cereal again.

"Uncle Brian, you want?" he asked holding out his spoon with it dripping. Brian laughed again as he looked at Tyler.

"No man. You gotta eat it up man," Brian answered.

"But my tummys full," he told Brian.

"Ok then why don't we clean up?" Brian asked him as he took Tylers bowl and walked over to the sink with it.

"Thank you uncle Brian!" Tyler said as he jumped out of the chair and then out of the kichen.

"We'd better go after him," Nick said standing up from the chair, "you go look out for him. I'll clean up out here alright?"

"Nah man, you go hang with your son," Brian told him, "I'll clean up for you, I don't mind. Just go look after Tyler. Have some fun with him."

"Alright thanks man, I owe you, big time," Nick answered and then walked off into the livingroom where Tyler was sitting on the floor trying to take out Nicks PS2. Nick smiled and sat down next to Tyler.

"Need some help there Ty?" Nick asked.

"No daddy, I got it," he answered still trying to pull it out of where Nick had stored it.

"l'lI get it for ya man," Nick told him and then helped him to take it out of the cabinet. Nick pluged it and handed the controler to Tyler.

"Thank you daddy," Tyler replied and then started to play the game the best he could. Nick just sat back and smiled at him. Tyler was really helping him pull himself back together.