- Text Size +
Chapter 7

The next few minutes were a blur to Nick. He had begun to fall in and out of consciousness. Nick thought that it had taken hours for the paramedics to come and help them. He was more than relieved when he saw that they were finally being helped. One of the people were talking but Nick couldn't make out what they were saying so he didn't answer them, though he wasn't completely sure that he would have been able to anyway.

The next thing Nick knew, he was in an ambulance and he was being taken to a hospital. His strength was starting to come back as he was laying back and the paramedics were looking him over.

"Where's Erika," Nick asked trying to sit up, but he was forced back down by one of the paramedics.

"She's in the other ambulance son," he answered, "just lay back."

"Is she okay?"

"I don't know," he told Nick.

"You have to find out for me. I have to know if she's okay," Nick pleaded.

"We're almost at the hospital, you can check for yourself."

"I'm alright?" Nick asked.

"Yeah, you were just a little light headed because of the blood that you lost, but you're going to be just fine," he explained to Nick.

"How much longer?" he asked sitting up and looking at the paramedic.

"A couple of seconds, that's all," he answered.

"Do you think that she's alright?"

"I honestly don't know. I didn't look over the damage to her, so I really can't tell you anything, sorry."

"She has to be okay," Nick mumbled, "I mean I was driving. If anything bad was supposed to happen it would have happened to me right, since I was driving?"

"What exactly did happen?" the man asked.

"Some guy was driving crazy, I was pulling off the road when he hit us," Nick answered, "then the next thing I remember was waking up and calling 911."

"We're here," the man said to Nick. Nick stood up and followed him out of the ambulance. They walked over to the other one. Nick was taking his time because he was still a little light headed. He followed them into the hospital and he was told to wait for a doctor to come and speak to him. It wasn't long before he was told that she died on the way to the hospital. They had done everything they could to keep her alive but the damage was way to sevre and there was nothing more that they could have done.

"Why don't you call someone to take you home," the paramedic that Nick had rode with said to him, "you do have someone to call right?"

"Yeah," Nick answered as he nodded and ran his fingers through his hair. The man just took one last look at Nick and walked away. Nick called Brian and he came and picked him up right away. Tyler was sleeping for the whole trip so they didn't have to explain everything to him just yet.

"Nick," he heard and then looked up at Brian who had been calling him, "I'm going to be heading out now, are you alright do you need me to stay?"

"No, no, no, you can go, I was just thinking," he answered, "besides you've done a lot for me already. Wouldn't want to keep you from your wife for too long. She might begin to miss you man, if she hasn't already."

"You were thinking about it weren't you?" Brian asked softly.

"Yeah," he whispered, holding back his tears.

"Do you need me to stay, ya know, to talk?" Brian asked thoughtfully as he walked over to his best friend.

"Why did she die Brian?" Nick asked through his tears. Brian sat down next to him and took a deep breath.

"I don't know man," Brian answered, "I wish I could answer that for you because I know how much it would help you knowing why, but there really isn't a way to answer it."

"Maybe if I had woken up a few minutes sooner, she would have made it to the hospital and they would have been able to save her," Nick said letting his head fall into his hands were he once again began to cry.

"You can't change that," Brian told him as he put his arm around Nick, "you did the best that you could and you did the right thing. It just didn't work out for you."

"Why not Brian? I haven't been the best person on the planet but I haven't done anything to desirve losing her."

"I know you didn't Nick. You've done the best you could in your life and its okay. It was just someone upstairs decided that it was her time to go."

"Did I ever tell you where I was going to take her that night?" Nick asked with tears still pouring from his eyes.

"No, you haven't."

"We were going to go to this beach that I rented for the night so that we could be alone. I wanted to make it perfect ya know? 'Cause thats what she was, perfect. I wanted to make things great for her, Tyler and me. I wanted to make us a complete family," Nick said as he stood up and walked over to the night stand and opened the draw and pulled out a small box, "I wanted to make sure that she knew that we were always going to be together," he said as he handed Brian the box. Brian looked up at Nick and then opened the box. He shut his eyes once he saw it's contents.

"Nick I'm so sorry," he choked out.

"Not as sorry as I am," Nick replied.

"She would have said yes," Brian commented, "if that makes you feel better."

"I know she would have. I just wish I got the chance to see the look on her face when I asked. It would have been beautiful, she always was. No matter what she did, god she was so beautiful."

"Look, I'm going to call Leighanne and let her know that it would be better if I spent another night here. I think you need someone to talk to," Brian said standing up from the bed.

"Why don't you just go home Brian. I'll be alright," Nick replied.

"I just don't feel right about leaving you here alone like his," Brian explained, "Why don't I have Leighanne come over here? At least we'll be here for you to talk too."

"You don't have to. I don't want to put you guys out."

"Don't worry about. I'm sure she won't mind at all. Let me go give her a call. I'll be right back alright?" Brian said and Nick nodded. Tears continued to roll down Nicks cheeks as he sat on the bed. The memories of that night were still to fresh; painful.

"Daddy," Tyler said as he stood in the door way of Nicks bedroom, "why you crying?" Nick looked over at his son who was staring at him with his big blue eyes. He was so innocent.

"Come here," Nick said as he whiped away the fresh tears that had just fallen upon his face. Tyler walked over to Nick and he picked him up and put him on his lap, "I love you buddy alright?"

"Wuv you too dada, but why you cry for?" he asked.

"I miss mommy," he whispered to his son as he held him close. It was as if he were afraid that if he let him go, he would never be able to hold him again.

"I miss her too daddy," Tyler answered as he snuggled up as close to his father as he could. Nick let another tear escape his eye as he kissed the top of Tylers head.