- Text Size +
Dawn sat in the dining room going over the books her teacher had left her.
“ Where is Mr. Rhodes?”
“ Already headed out dad. You know he’s only here an hour.”
“ That’s right, how much homework do you have?”
“ About three hours worth. I might work on it in the room with mom. Uncle Kevin moved a desk in there for me so I can work on my homework and still be with mom.”
“ That was nice of him, but why didn’t you just ask me?”
“ You where gone and he was here. By the way they are waiting out back for you.”
“ Thanks kid.” Alex said kissing her cheek. Dawn watched her father leave the house and then looked at the load of books she needed to move up into the room.
“ Hey kiddo.” Nick said coming into the room.
“ Hi Uncle Nick.”
“ How are you today?”
“ Doing OK, I was about to go do my homework up in moms room.”
“ How is your mom doing today?”
“ Same as always. I guess all the prayers really aren’t helping.”
“ Maybe they are, how about you go outside and visit with the others while I go upstairs and get your mom. Have your dad bring your moms chair so I can put her down.” Nick said looking at her.
“ Sure thing Uncle Nick.” Dawn said heading out of the house. Nick looked up at the short staircase and then headed towards the room where Allison was.

Nick quietly walked down the long hallway, he could hear soft talking and wondered if Dawn had left the TV on in Allison’s room. Slowly opening the door he saw the nurse standing next to Allison’s bed.
“ I’m sorry I didn’t know that you were here.” Nick said looking at the pretty blonde.
“ I came a day early. Mr. McLean said that his wife needed some meds.”
“ Could be possible, is she getting any better?” Nick asked moving to the side of the bed and taking Allison’s hand in his own.
“ Hard to tell, I have noticed that her eyes are moving more, she’s been watching my movements and now seems to be watching you.” The nurse told him. Nick looked down at smiled at Allison.
“ It would be great if she got better, Alex misses her so much.” Nick said moving a piece of stray hair out of Allison’s eyes.
“ Even if she gets better, it will be a long time before she can do anything for herself.”
“ I know.”
“ Well I am done here, I will see you tomorrow Ally.” The nurse said before heading for the door.
“ I’ll be right back for you.” Nick said walking the nurse down the hall. Allison watched them leave and then let some more tears roll down her cheeks. Nick walked back into the room and noticed the tears.
“ Hey beautiful no tears, things are getting better.” Nick said wiping the tears away. “ Come on lets go outside and watch the party shall we.” He said lifting her into his arms.


Alex looked up as Nick came from the house with Allison.
“ Hey babe.” Alex said taking Allison from Nick. He kissed her cheek and then set her down in the chair they had waiting for her. He hated that all she did was sit and stare out into space.
“ HI mom.” Dawn said kissing her mother’s cheek. She held her mother’s hand and sat down in the chair next to hers. Dawn gasped and stood up startled.
“ What’s wrong?” Alex asked looking at her.
“ She squeezed my hand.” Dawn said getting down in front of her mother.
“ What?” Kevin said moving closer.
“ She squeezed my hand. Momma if you can hear me do it again.” Dawn said holding her mother’s hand again. Dawn looked down at her hand and felt her mother squeeze her hand again. Dawn smiled brightly.
“ That’s right mom, it’s time to come back to us.” Dawn said tears rolling down her cheeks.
“ I saw Ally crying earlier.” Nick pointed out.
“ What? She hasn’t made a movement in nearly three years, are you telling me now she’s starting to move?” Alex said tears of his own threatening to fall.
“ Yeah that’s exactly what we are saying. Dawn go call that nurse back.” Nick said. Dawn stood there for a moment and then headed back inside to use the phone.


The nurse arrived about ten minuets later and looked at the shocked group.
“ It looks like Mrs. McLean is starting to come back.” The nurse said touching Allison’s shoulder.
“ And that means what?” Howie asked.
“ It means that some of her motor functions are starting to return, she’s started moving her hands and her eyes. I will come tomorrow and take her to have an MRI and several other tests to see what’s going on.”
“ Have you called her doctor?”
“ Doctor Martin was informed of your wife’s condition change and will be at the hospital when we arrive.”
“ Thank you.” Alex said looking at Allison, he was so happy to be thinking that Allison could be coming back to them, but he had a fear that it was going to be a long lonely road for her.


Alex looked at the bed and smiled. He wanted to spend the night with his wife tonight, even if she wasn’t back yet he wanted to feel her next to him. Sliding into the bed he lay her head on his chest and held her close.
“ I’ve missed you so much, just the thought of you coming back makes my heart skip a beat. To finally have you back to be able to hold you, for you to respond to my words.” Alex said moving his fingers threw her hair. He could feel the wet tears that his wife shed as she lay with her head on his chest.
“ I know baby.” Alex said before sleep finally called him.