- Text Size +
Snow walked around the loft, he could sense that someone had been there; he whimpered a little and then headed back to the bed where Selina lay sleeping. Angel lifted her head and looked around and then nudged Selina awake. Selina moaned and then opened her sleepy eyes.
“ What?” She asked looking at the dog. She could smell the faint hint of the cologne that her husband used to wear. Sliding from the bed she pulled on the short silver robe and headed towards the stairs, the closer to the stairs she got the more the cologne scent got stronger. Following the scent she came to a stop near the large oak table, sitting in the center was a large crystal vase with a dozen long stem red roses, something Josh would always leave her if he was heading off for some business out of town. She could see a small white card inside the bouquet. Walking over to the table she picked up the card and looked at the name on the front, her name. Ripping open the envelope she pulled the tiny card from it.
“ My Dearest Selina,
I know that you’ve been lonely and I wish I could be there holding you tonight. I am very sorry for everything that has happened and hope that you have finally moved on.
Love always
Josh.”
Selina’s eyes filled up with tears as she looked at the writing once again, it was his hand writing but she knew he had died that day, two years it had been two years since his death. Yet suddenly flowers and other things had been showing up.


He walked into the dismal apartment and sat down. He looked at the recent snapshot of her. She had lost her radiant smile and the twinkle in her eyes was gone.
“ I hate this.” He said dropping his head into his hands.
“ I know you do, but it was the only way.”
“ But why couldn’t she have come with me? She knew how much I loved her.”
“ Josh she must think you’re dead. Everyone must think that. But with those weekly visits to the house and the flowers and gifts you’ve been sending someone is bound to find out.”
“ I shouldn’t have lied to her. Selina would have understood what was going on, why I was gone so often.” He said looking up at the tall man that stood near the door. The man walked into the light, showing his older features and his graying hair, his deep brown eyes showed his age even if his face did not.
“ We couldn’t have had you tell her what you did for a living. It was safer that she thought you where a salesman, that was safe for her.”
“ It wasn’t safe for her Henry, she still morns my death and it’s been nearly two years. Why? Why did the company have to do this?”
“ It was for the best Josh, Selina is safer without you there. People where hunting for you. And they would have gone threw Selina to get to you if they had to.”
“ But what about now? It’s been two years the family thinks I am dead. Can’t I tell her?”
“ No, I’m sorry my friend but you can’t. And these visits to her home have to stop.”
“ No, I wont stop seeing her. She’s the reason I am still sane, the reason I didn’t take my life two years ago.” Josh said, for the first time in two years tears rolled down his cheeks, real tears, telling him that it was breaking his heart to be away from her. Henry looked at his friend and sat down on the couch next to him.
“ I’ll see what we can do. But I can’t make any promises.”
“ Thanks.” Josh said. Henry looked at his friend and knew that he was lonely. It had been a long time since they had even been back into the area and now that Josh lived about four hours from his original house he was able to go and see Selina even if she didn’t know he was there. Henry had often urged Josh not to go to the house but he seemed insistent on going. Henry stood and headed for the door.
“ I’ll be back tomorrow, try not to wonder off again.”
“ I wont.” Josh said sadly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Selina walked out of the bathroom wearing a white sleeveless shirt, black jeans and her black boots. Her long strawberry blond hair pulled up away from her face. She turned and saw that the dogs where whining and growling at the glass door going out to the back yard.
“ All right you two I’ll be right there.” Selina said walking down the stairs towards the back door. She turned when she heard the doorbell ring. She pushed open the large glass door and let the two dogs out into the backyard and then turned towards the front to answer the doorbell, which had now rang nearly four times. She could clearly see two tall men standing on the other side, both dressed in dark colored business suits. Reaching for the knob she opened the door and looked at them.
“ Can I help you?” She asked. She could hear Snow and Angel barking from the backyard.
“ Yes ma’am we are looking for Selina Cross.”
“ That would be me. Is there a problem?” Selina asked looking at the two men.
“ Actually we are looking for some information on your husband ma’am.”
“ I’m sorry Josh has been dead for two years. There isn’t much I can help you with.” Selina said looking at them expecting them to turn and leave when she said that.
“ We understand that ma’am but it has come to our attention that your husband was working on a project before he died.”
“ I was never interested in my husband’s work. So if you gentlemen would excuse me I have a few things to get done.” Selina said, she started to close the door but one of the men stopped her.
“ May we look at anything you may still have of your husbands?”
“ No, and I would appreciate it if you’d leave.” Selina said looking at them.
“ But Mrs. Cross we really need to see his paper work.”
“ I don’t care get off my land NOW!” Selina said raising her voice causing the two dogs in the back to bark and growl louder. Both men nodded and turned and walked back to their car. Selina wasn’t entirely sure if that would keep them away, but she wondered what could be so important in her husbands stuff that after two years they’d suddenly want it.