- Text Size +
He walked up the stairs slowly, The scent getting stronger with each step. He kept one large hand on the banister-though he needn't have bothered. In all the years he's come to the house, the 13th step has always been lose. He didn't need the guidence of a railing.

The railing gave a false sense of security.

He swallowed the bitter taste rising in the back of his throat. It seemed the air was getting thicker as the stench was getting stronger. His pace slowed slightly, he was near the top now.

"Dear God, who could have..." he didn't finish the thought.

He wasn't prepared for what he saw in front of him. The mutilation of a child. The cold and senseless destruction of human life.

He turned, ready to flee the house, but stopped when coming face to face with the sharp and deadly point of an 8 inch blade. The light of the moon beaming in through the window in front of him was reflected on the knife. Blinding him when at the right angle.

Panic was building inside of him. Terror literally paralizing him where he stood. He wanted to fight, he wanted to run away. Instead he stood and waited, scared to death of what would happen.

"Mr. Richardson, nice to finally meet you. Though I do regret it is under," he stopped to glace past his shoulder. "such circumstances. A pity really. I'm actually quite fond of children."

Kevin swallowed the bitter taste in his mouth once again. He prayed quickly and silently for courage.

"You bastard." The man caught his wrist just before it made contact with his jaw.

"Careful the Kevin. Wouldn't want you to end up the same way as the boy." The sarcastic tone was nearly enough to make him shudder.

"How could you have killed Seth?"

Lee looked past kevins shoulder once again to the pool of blood already drying and turning brown. "He was a child born at the wrong time and the wrong place. Seth was just another name on my list."

Kevin just couldn't stop the tears from flowing now. "How can you be so calm about this? Seth was only 7 years old. A bright kid and an only child. You took his life before it could even begin. And you're telling me that someone gave you the name of a child for you to add to your list. A GOD DAMN CHILD?" He broke off from his rant. Tears erupting forcefully. He turned to look at the child again. There was so much dried blood all over that he couldn't even tell what color the hair was.

What was lying at the top of the stairs was a bloody mess of limbs. The head was twisted and left at an unnatural angle. The left arm was twisted so far back, it looked like it should have snapped off already. And it appeared to be a stab wound in the center of his chest.Kevin prayed that Seths neck got broke first. At least it would have been a quick and painless death. But it was doubtful. This was no merciful killing.