- Text Size +
“Troubling Gifts”

**~Chapter One- Unusual illness~**

He sits down on the soft furry beige sofa in the lobby of the hotel he and the rest of the group are staying in. He glanced at his watch and realizes he got here for the first time way too early. ‘Great’ he thinks to himself sarcastically. The bright lights of the hotel glimmered in the area casting a brilliant glow in the lobby, he squints from the glow as slumps against the sofa. He pulls out a small green journal from his black back pack and settles back in the sofa. “Well, I guess I got time to kill.” He mutters to himself. He runs his fingers through his blond spikes and stares at the book he’s holding. His blue eyes scan the hotel lobby to see if he can spot any of his friends. Yawning, he opens the book and begins to scribble some of his thoughts down. In black ink, he scribbled down his feelings and some personal things he’s experiencing.

‘Hey Journal,

How am I doing? Hmmm. Let me say it’s a long story. God, I don’t know what’s wrong with me? I mean I went to a doctor yesterday and last week and the week before and nothing. That’s right nothing! They say I’m extremely healthy. That nothing is wrong with me. That’s bull and I know it! Why do I feel dizzy at times and my eyes feel like it burns sometimes? They couldn’t answer that because they say that all my test results are fine. Something’s up. It’s like the doctors know something and don’t wanna tell me.

I didn’t tell the guys this, they’ll think I got sick and couldn’t take care of myself. They‘ll lecture me on how I’m a grown man and should know better than to get myself sick, I have to care for myself. I don’t want to be a disappointment to them or to the fans. I mean we just started the new leg of the concert and I’d hate to postpone it cuz I feel sick. I don’t understand why they- the doctors- wouldn’t tell me if it involves my health. I mean this is my personal health and body we’re talking about! God, it’s so frustrating! I can’t believe they would hold some vital info from me. Whatever man, I ain’t gonna stress ‘bout it now. I’ll let you go for now, Brian and Kevin are coming. I’ll write in ya later.

~Peace: Kaos

Nick closes the journal and quickly slips it in his book bag, zipping it close.

“Yo Rok, what up?” Nick states tugging on his white loose cotton polo shirt and dark blue jeans.

Brian smiles, running his fingers through his sandy blond hair. “Nothin’ much. What where you writing? Huh? Was it about me?” Brian states curiously leaning near Nick’s book bag trying to open it. He pulls on his dark blue long sleeve shirt and black denims.

Nick snatches the book bag and flings it on his knees. “Don’t worry ‘bout it, that’s for me to know and for you to find out.”

Kevin laughs and grabs a seat next to Nick. “Don’t listen to him, Brian. Nicky wouldn’t hide anything important from us, right Nick? And besides it is his journal, he can write whatever he wants right?” His striking green eyes light up as he tugs on his black short sleeve t-shirt and dark blue denim.

Nick gulps and shakes his head, “Na, you know I’d tell ya everything.” He feels guilty lying to his ‘older brother’ in such a way. But right now wasn’t the time to tell the guys his condition if he himself doesn’t know.

A.J. comes running in the lobby with a scared look on his face suddenly as he reaches Kevin. “Yo, Kev. Something’s up with D. He just passed out upstairs in his suite!”

Kevin’s eyes grew big, standing up nervously, he pulls on the sleeve of A.J.’s blue tank top “Is he ok now? Did ya call someone?” Kevin asks nervously.

A.J.’s eyes grew big, “I, I think so. A maid came in and is calling a doctor to find his problem. But Kev. Maybe we should postpone the concert if Howie’s feeling sick.” He states quietly.

Brian nods his head, “We’ll see, first thing first, we gotta see what’s up with our friend.” With that he and the others follow to an opening elevator.

Howie’s dark oak suite door opens allowing entrance to the four members. Kevin rushes over to Howie who is on the bed passed out.

“Oh man, damn. D. Howie, you up?” Nick states patting Howie’s cheek gently.

“I found him like this. I went to get him to go downstairs, but he’s out on the bed.” A.J. answers nervously.

Brian shakes his head and puts his palm over Howie’s forehead. “He’s burning. He probably caught a flu or something.” He mutters, shaking his head confused.

Kevin stands near the bedside as the soft brown eyes of Howie opens. Smiling gently, he pats Howie on the shoulder, “Hey buddy, glad you’re up. You got us scared. Are you sick?” Kevin whispers.

Howie shakes his head as he tries to sit up but is pushed back down by Brian. “Lie down d. You could be sick and collapse again trying to stand up.”

Howie feels a dizzy spell as he puts his hand on his forehead. “I’m not sick, I feel fine. I guess I just passed out. It’s weird really. I mean I was about to leave the room to meet A.J. when I feel something like a deep electric current running down my spine. And before I knew, I collapsed on the floor. I thought I was getting electrocuted!”

Kevin stares down at Howie with disappointment in his emerald eyes. “Howie, why were you touching stuff with wet hands? You know you can get electrocuted trying to mess with the appliances in this room.”

Howie stares up at Kevin with confusion on his face. “I never said I touched anything electric. The electricity came from me. I guess I shocked myself.” He whispers, perplexity evident in his voice.

Nick looks at Brian and shrugs his shoulders, “Shock himself, how is that possible? This doesn’t make sense” He questions as the others stare at Howie with uncertainty.

What Nick and the others didn’t realize was this was just the beginning of the gifts they all have and it won’t get any easier for them later on.
~**~

**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**