- Text Size +
“Troubling Gifts”



-A mind is a terrible thing to waste- Unknown



**~Chapter Ten- A Deadly Power~**



The thick white steel door slides open and in steps a young teen girl, with medium dark brown hair hanging loosely straight down her shoulders in a loose braid. She smoothes out her yellow thin strapped shirt and fingers the pockets of her dark blue denim jeans nervously. Taking a deep breath, she stares at the slouched figure in a metal chair. She steps over to the figure who seems upset and his face was buried in his hands.



“Sir?” Alison asks quietly. “Excuse me sir? Is everything ok?”



The man raises his head to look at her, his blue eyes bright with unshed tears. His innocent white face, paled at the sight of the girl and he stands up nervously eyeing her.



“What do you want from me? You came to test me again?” He cries out, backing away from the girl.



Alison shakes her confused, “No, I came cause I wanted to meet you. I love your music and I’m a big fan of yours. I’m Alison.” She states slightly blushing in embarrassment. She sticks her hand out waiting for Brian to shake it, but he never did.



Brian looks at her intensely, “I’m Bri…”



“I know who you are, silly.” Alison interrupts, giggling.



Brian stares at her and a smile crosses his face, erasing all the anxiety that had build up from her entrance. “I, I’m sorry. I’m just not pleased about why I’m here. I thought you were a doctor. Are you one of the first projects that was discussed?” He asks curiously, his southern accent coming out every once in a while.



Alison smiles, “Yeah, I am. But I’m not the dangerous one. I can relate to everyone cause I know what you’re thinking and feeling. I can stop and speed time, but that’s a wack power. You can’t really do anything with that. But that’s about it. I wasn’t considered dangerous at all if you think about it. But the company wanted all the girls that were experimented on, whether or not they are a danger to society or not, to be here to get tested on.” She smiles, her brown eyes bright with interest.



Brian laughs softly, “So you’re ok then after all. I thought I should be on my guard. These doctors keep coming in giving me some painful medication and I got vaccinated more than three times already since I got here about an half an hour ago!”



Alison shakes her head, “I hate when they do that. You think that they realize that one shot is enough. But anyway, how are you doing?”



“Not well, I guess.” Brian says softly, slouching over in the metal chair fiddling with his fingers. “You know what I found out.” He runs his fingers through his beige cargo pants and fixes his dark blue t-shirt.



Alison shrugs her shoulders, “What?” She asks innocently.



Brian takes a deep breath, “I found out what my power is. They say I’m infected with a chemical called 1QZY.”



“What’s that?” Alison asks softly sitting on the white tile floor facing him.



“That’s the worst chemical. They say I’m the most dangerous now. I can kill with the just one touch.” Brian whispers softly, his voice cracking in pain. “I didn’t know I had that power, they say it started slowly, first the people around me would get sick, like getting a flu or something. But now the power has advanced to its full potential. I can just touch and with my mind I can take one’s life energy away. Rather than just simply killing them.”



Alison’s mouth drops open, “That’s why you didn’t shake my hand. You’re afraid something like that might happen to me.”



Brian nods his head and buries it in his hands again. Alison could hear Brian’s muffled cries, “Why this power? Why me?”

He lifts his head up and tries to form a smile for her. “Don’t worry about me though. I can’t kill unless I have control. The doctors state I now fully regained control of it. Meaning you can touch me and nothing will happen unless I want it too.” He whispers, running his fingers through his sandy blond hair.



Alison smiles, “Things will work out, Miss Summer and Dr. Natalie are gonna help you. As for Miss Jamelet, I can’t tell if she wants to help you or not. I mean her father works here, so it’s kind of weird thing for her I guess.” She states shrugging her shoulders innocently.



Brian smiles and crinkles his nose in amusement. “I’m so sorry you have to experience such things as this. This corporation is disturbing.”



“I already knew that. That doesn’t surprise me.” Whispers Alison shyly. “Can I ask you something Mr. Littrell?”



He smiles, “Call me Brian. Sure, what’s that?” He asks, his eyes sparkling at her.



“I know you trust me, I see it in your heart. Your wife will be fine. She’ll see you again. You’ll go home and see your family. Your little boy will see you again. I promise.” Alison states.



Brian smiles and with a surprise look on his face, asked, “You know about my child? Wow. Thanks.”



Alison nods her head and raises her hand, “And to make sure I keep this promise with you, let’s pinky swear on it.”



Brian stares at her closely and smiles, “You know it’s not good to swear, right?” His blue eyes gaze at her through the harsh bright white light in the experiment room.



Alison giggles, “I know, it’ll just symbolize my promise to you.” She states looking around the white walls and cot: the only other furniture in the room.



Brian smiles and nods his head, “Ok, I like promises.” And with that sticks his hand out holding his pinky finger out while the rest of his fingers are tucked in his hand.



Alison smiles and grabs his pinky with her pinky. Holding on to it, Brian whispers, “Because you wanna help me, I’ll help you out too. Ok?”



She smiles, “Ok, but you don’t have too.”



Brian laughs, “Too late for that now, huh? The promise has been sealed.” And with that both pinky fingers clutch to each other. He pulls his hand away from the pinky promise and smiles. “I think you should go now. I don’t want you to get in trouble. I’m sure the doctors are looking for you. Besides I could get in trouble with you here. The hidden cameras are filming this, we could get caught.”



Alison stands up and smiles, “You’re right, I’ll head out now to avoid any trouble. Just be strong. I know we can get out of here.” And with that heads out the room, the large white steel door sliding close behind her.



Brian smiles, thinking, “I hope we can all get out alive. I wanna go home and just be normal again.” He whispers to himself for comfort.

~*~



He raises his head to see he’s on the cot. His head is banging and he tries desperately to get up from the bed. He stares around the white blinding experiment room and sees Jamelet had long left the room. Grumbling, he stares at his hands, which minutes ago was searing with electrical currents. He runs his fingers through his short wavy hair and tugs on his white t-shirt and black jeans. Tapping his feet on the white tile floor, he gazes around the experiment room. He couldn’t believe he’s stuck here. Concern over takes him as he begins to worry about Kevin, Nick and Brian. A.J., he just saw next door and he was relieved to see that A.J. was fine. In fact he wasn’t even tested on it, which eases the worry about him. Now here he is stuck in a large white experiment awaiting the future torture. Suddenly, the large thick steel front door slides open to let a young woman he never saw before enter the room. Her light blond hair lies in a low ponytail and her bluish green eyes perks up when she noticed Howie’s presence. Her broad shoulders show off the dark blue tank top. She fingers her light blue jeans ripped a bit on the knees. The girl smiles, gazing at him with interest in her eyes.



Howie begins to slightly tremble, he heard about this girl. She was the strong one, the one that kills with ice. She was locked below in a special cell, so he had no idea how she escaped from there. His heart begins to race and he suddenly feels a bit cold. The goose bumps on his arms appear as his teeth begin to chatter from the sudden cold that invaded his room suddenly.



Suddenly Jamelet appears, a clipboard in her hands, begins to tug on Ana’s arm, “Ana, wrong room. The testing room for you is next door.”



Ana smiles and whispers a soft hello, a icy white mist appeared after she talked. Her white skin glittered in the florescent light. She turns to leave and blows Howie a kiss with her hands, all the while batting her eyes at him. She leaves the room, the sliding door slams shut behind her. Howie could feel his heart rate slow down and his breathing go back to normal. Somehow her presence had truly frightened him. And he hoped he wouldn’t be placed in the same room with her, cause he really wasn’t in the mood to get frozen by some girl.

~*~



He opens his emerald eyes and gazes at the blinding bright white light that aluminates the experiment room. He just woke up and confusion is clouding his head. His eyes burn and he looks down at what he’s wearing, a dark green tank top and black jeans. Not the outfit he had on when he left the concert. Someone changed his clothes and he had his cell phone in it. “Damn!” He mutters under his breath. He remembered getting caught by some strange masked men, now here he is lying on a cot in a huge white room. The tiles and the ceilings are all in white and the color of it was making him nauseous. Suddenly worry over takes him. “The guys! Oh God, where are they? Are they hurt? Are they being tortured? Will I get out of here?” He whispers to himself. He curls up, drawing his knees to his chest and placing his head on top of his knees in worry.



Suddenly the thick metal door slides open and in steps a young woman, dressed professionally for the job: a black skirt down her knees and green halter top with a white lab coat over her outfit. Yawning she steps into the room surprised to see a man there.



“Well hello there, Mr. Richardson. You’re awake. I didn’t think you would be in this room. Actually this room is aligned next to my office, I didn’t think they would use this room.” Dr. Natalie states smiling. “I’m Doctor Natalie” She states, her dark brown long straight hair topples loosely down her shoulders. Her dark brown eyes open wide after watching how uncomfortable Kevin seems in the room.



“Listen I wanna talk with you about something, just give me a sec. I can’t stand this shirt. I’m going to my office for a few minutes to change. Try not to move around to much, you’re body is in pain.” Dr. Natalie states opening a white almost invisible door leading into her office on the side of the room. She changes from her green halter top to a nice snug small navy blue t-shirt. She grabs her long beautiful hair up in a clip and walks back into the room. She stares at nails and begins picking at a small hangnail. “Man, I have to get manicure, this is sad.” She smiles to herself. She applies a soft pink gloss on her powder pink lips and leaves the office. After a what seemed like a hour an hour trying to convince Kevin of why he’s here and the condition of his friends, she finally got him willing to test his powers.



“Mr. Richardson, I promise this won’t take long. I understand you’re very upset. I won’t bother you for long. If you do this quick, I can escort you to the diner where you’re friends will be as well.” Dr. Natalie explains, her eyes soft at his sad expression.



He sighs and speaks, his deep voice resounding beautifully in her ears. “Please doctor, I don’t know if I should do this. I don’t feel well right now. I think I’m ill.”



“You’re ill because your body is adjusting to your new powers.” Dr. Natalie responds quietly.



His green eyes stare sadly at her as he takes a deep breath, “Fine, what do I do?” He asks.



She smiles, “Just look at something sir. Concentrate on an object such as the wooden chair in the corner over there.” She states, pointing to a chair in the corner of the room nearby Kevin.



He shrugs his shoulders, “This doesn’t make sense.” He mutters, eying the chair with his eyes. Listening to the doctor he gazes at the chair waiting to see what will happen. Frustrated that nothing happen after what seemed like a few minutes, Kevin turns to face her, “See, nothing.” Then it came, the bright red lasers came zapping out from his eyes striking the walls and ceilings around him. He feels his eyes almost burning as the intense pain increases with each laser that came shooting out of him. He burned part of the wall and the chair had completely melted under the intense heat from the lasers. Screaming in pain, he clutches his head and cries out, “Stop it! Please stop this! It hurts like hell!! My eyes! My eyes are burning!!” He screams out in terrible pain, his eyes throbbing.



Dr. Natalie shouts to close his eyes and take a deep breath. He does as said and his eyes throb in agony. He could hear the doctor talking, “Mr. Richardson, that was amazing! Your powers are stronger than predicted! Come let’s meet your friends now.”



Kevin shakes his head, “No, I’m in pain! God it hurts so much!” He squeezes his eyes shut tightly. He stands shaking, “What was that? What came out of my eyes?!” Kevin shouts out.



Dr. Natalie smiles, “Come, I’ll finish explaining to you in clear detail as we head down the dining room.”



Kevin struggles to walk as Dr. Natalie grabs him on the side, helping him walk out the room. He keeps his eyes closed, he couldn’t open them yet. It hurts too much to do that and he feared he lost control of his own vision. At least he gets to see how the others are doing and get a good night sleep tonight knowing that he wasn’t hurt and that the others are safe as well.

~**~



**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**