- Text Size +
“Troubling Gifts”



-A mind is a terrible thing to waste- unknown



**~Chapter Thirteen- Face The Facts



The group of five men and eight women sit around the small office room as the crackling of the fire outside slowly begins to die down. Nick sits on the floor, with his knees up to chest, his arms hanging over his knees as his blue eyes stare numbly at the forest green carpet in the room. Howie and A.J. stands around leaning on the wall staring at the girls in curiosity. The mahogany plank walls glisten in the soft yellow light from the only lamp there. Three beautiful paintings plaster the walls around the small office and the lush forest green carpet spreads out in the room. The royal blue curtains are hung on a large glass window, the same colors used in the dining room. A large thick mahogany shelf hangs on the right side of wall, covered entirely with thick fat books of different sizes. In the center of the room is a beautiful thick mahogany desk with gold lining at the corners. On top of the desk are mounds of folders and sheets of paper with writing scattered on it. A thick book with a bright blue cover caught the attention of Brian.



He walks over to the desk top and lifts the heavy book in his hands. Skimming through pages, he lifts his head to gaze at Jamelet. She sits in a brown leather seat sighing quietly as Summer walks over to her in state of shock.



Summer points to the door and asks nervously, “What the hell just heck just happened back there?”



Jamelet sighs and stares at Brian who’s looking at a book on the desk.



Brian flips through the pages of the book and smirks, “What’s with the book on brains and stuff?” Brian asks quietly.



“Jamelet, what just happened? We’re in danger now aren’t we? All of us now right?” Summer whispers softly trying to hold herself together. Her green eyes flutter showing the gold specks in it from the reflecting light.



Gulping, Jamelet nods her head, she whispers, barely auditable, “The powers are at the highest levels now. The guys know how to fully control and use their gifts now. What you saw just happened back there was just a taste of what they can do. We’re all in danger now. My father knows I switched sides and he’s gonna make sure I regret every second of it. We have to work together now. As a team.”



A.J. shakes his head, “Hell no! I ain’t working with someone who’s sick in the mind! Your father owns this place, why don’t you tell him to piss off with this company and leave. He can’t hurt you! Besides you’re his daughter, he’ll listen to you. Just walk out of here and take us with you!” He states with anger in his voice. He runs his tan hands nervously through his black and red hair.



Kevin, who’s sitting in the office chair behind the desk, shakes his head. “Why don’t you tell me how you got into this whole CAPPA business?”



Jamelet rapidly shakes her head and stands up anxiously, “No, we don’t have time.” She whispers nervously, her voice cracking in fear.



Kevin smiles, his green eyes sparkling, “Sweetie, judging by the fire Nicky left back there, time is all we have. I don’t think we’ll be going anywhere ‘till that fire passes.”



Jamelet sits in the seat and watches as Ana stands up walking to the door. Ana places her hand on the door and places the side of her face on the thick oak door covered in iron. Her lips smiles and she whispers, “Oh, so warm.” She states quietly, her icy breath leaving a cold mist behind each word. Her blond hair in a low ponytail swings over her shoulders.



Nick stares at her in shock, pointing a finger at her, he shouts, “She’s dangerous! Watch out for her! She looks like she’s not well in the mind.”



Paige smiles, her blue grey eyes sparkle, “She’ll behave. Right Ana?”



Ana nods her head and walks over to Nick who’s sitting on the ground. She touches her cold hand on Nick’s face and a smile breaks through her face. “You’re so hot.” She whispers, her icy mist caresses his face.



At this remark, A.J. laughs. “He gets that response from a lot of girls. I guess he can’t help his baby face.”



Nick rolls his blue eyes angrily at A.J. and mutters a profanity.



“Now Nicky watch that mouth of yours. I wouldn’t want to be held responsible with the younger audience in this room.” A.J. states, his chocolate eyes glisten in enjoyment.



Ana stares at him confused and looks back at Nick. Laughing, she walks over to A.J. “I didn’t say he was hot in looks but just hot. Touch him and you’ll see what I mean.” She smirks, extending her finger at Nick.



Howie watches the conversation and kneels down to touch Nick’s face. “OW! His face, it feels like it’s burning! Nick, does it hurt?” He asks Nick who’s staring angrily at A.J.



Nick shakes his head, “Na, it just stings, what do you think?” He states in a sarcastic tone. Howie backed off and walked over to Rose and Kimberly who were sitting on the carpet cross-legged.



Kimberly faces Howie and with watchful dark brown eyes with amber rings in it, stares at Howie. She twirls on a strand of her dark brown hair, mid-length down her shoulders and smiles. Howie sits down next to Kimberly and watches both of the girls.



“So can I ask you something?” He whispers to Kimberly, eyeing her closely.



Kimberly smiles, “Sure, what do you want to know?”



Howie chuckles, “Well, Kim is it?” She quickly shakes her head, “Well what can you do?” Howie asks.



She smiles softly and looks into the deep dark chocolate eyes of Howie, “I have the earth power, you know the earthquakes and all that good stuff that the land can do, like landslides and avalanches. You?”



Howie’s eyes grew big as she states that, gulping he shakes his head nervously, “Electricity. I had no idea! Man, you must be so strong then! My powers are nothing compared to what you can do.” He mutters looking at the forest green carpet.



She begins giggling, “I think you have that the other way, remember, you’re part of the successful group that’s ok. Unlike me. Besides your power is way cooler than mines I’m sure.”



Howie smirks at her, “You really think my powers are better than yours. Besides the whole earth thing sounds hot. My electricity bit can’t do much.”



Rose’s mouths drops open, “You’re kidding me right? Do you know how incredible that power is?! That’s one of the cool powers. Dude, you can totally control the whole thunder and lightening thing, that’s like one of the hottest powers out there, of course besides the whole tele and fire thing.” She smiles and twirls her fingers in her blond strands.



Howie smiles, “Thanks, I feel better about myself now.” He whispers to her.



Kevin clasps his hands and in a loud voice shouts, “Well Jamelet you gotta answer that question. We had enough distractions, so tell me, us all, how you got into CAPPA.”



Brian drums his fingers on the desk top and smiles at Jamelet, “I know you feel exposed here, but you gotta understand, if we’re to be working as a team, we gotta be able to trust each other and right now, you’re not the least likely person to trust in all this.” He stares at her intensely with his bright blue eyes, making her feel extremely uncomfortable.



“Well any day now before we age Jamelet.” Grumbles A.J. who smirks at Summer.



Summer giggles as she received a glare from Jamelet.



Dr. Natalie finally speaks and walks over to Jamelet, “You don’t have to tell them anything if you don’t want to.” She whispers, her dark brown hair hangs loosely over her shoulders.



“They’re right, if they’re gonna trust me, I have to tell them about me right? It only makes sense.” Jamelet whispers, looking at Kevin coldly.



Jamelet takes a deep breath and begins, “Fine. My story begins back when I was a child. My older sister died of a mysterious poison in her blood system and no cure was found. My father worked with the government for a while and decided to open a place- this center- to find the cure and problem with the disease. My sister passed away when I was only five years old. Ever since I was growing up, I was determined to help find what took out my sister and put a stop it. She was found with what later is considered some acid that took her life. No one could found what the disease is and since it was never discovered in any one else, it was named after her- Jezebel15…” Suddenly she gets interrupted by Kevin.



“I heard of this disease, it was on news. I’m sorry about your sister.” Kevin whispers quietly.



Jamelet nods her head and continues, “She was only 15 when she died. Now hear is when I come in to the picture. I wanted to help my father out in figuring what took my sister’s life so I took up the job to work here. Somehow while I was working here, I began getting sick. After two weeks of what felt like a flu, I was found to have what my sister had. I now stand here before you with that disease running through my body. You guys I can’t leave, I have no where to go to and this is the best place I can be treated in. My father knows how to work with this disease. Because of his struggles, he helped me live longer. So you must understand, I can’t leave this place, it could literally mean my life. The doctors out there can’t help me and I don’t wanna die not knowing that somehow I could have saved if only I remained here.” Jamelet states softly, all eyes penetrating at her.



“Oh God, I’m sorry!” Summer cries out running to hold Jamelet in an embrace.



“Please, don’t.” Jamelet states, pushing Summer gently away. “I don’t want you to feel pity for me because of this.”



Kevin feels his mouth drops open, “Oh man, I didn’t know. All this time I was pointing fingers at this whole place because of how they ruined our lives and you’ve been keeping quiet, slowly suffering. Truly, I’m sorry if I meant anything bad.”



Brian looks at Dr. Natalie, “One thing remains though, what about these powers we have. I mean is there a cure to stop these powers? Not for nothing, this isn’t normal.” He smiles softly, staring at the carpet.



Dr. Natalie smiles, “Actually there is a cure. But I’ll need to research it more. I was close to finding the information, but it’ll take a lot of hacking to get into it and I’m not much of that.”



A.J. laughed, “Whoo, yes! I knew Nick’s hackling ability would one day be useful.”



Nick smiles and walks over to a small desktop at the corner of room, where a small laptop was placed. Cracking his neck and knuckles, he turns to the others and smiles, “I have to get my body prepared, it’s very important.”



The others smile and laugh at that response and watched as Nick plugged in the lab top and began his searching. “K, doc. I’ll need your help on finding what you want.”



Dr. Natalie smiles and leans on the desktop as Nick begins his searching.



Alison who is sitting on the carpet next to Brian smiles, “Hey Brian, remember when I told you things would work out?”



Brian smiles softly, “Yes, I do.” His blue eyes staring at the young girl happily.



“Well, see things are really working out and we can get out of here.” Alison states, grinning happily.



“You sure did little one.” Brian states, hugging her.



Suddenly Rose stands up along with Kimberly and both girls touch the door, “You guys, the fire is almost out. I’m thinking we jump out the window and get out of here.” Rose states, standing near Nick.



Summer looks at her confused, “If the fire out’s, why go through the window?”



Kimberly smiles, “I don’t think you wanna face all those killer guards waiting for us now do ya?”



Kevin shrugs his shoulders, “I think right now that’s our best option to getting out of here tonight?” Kevin says nibbling his lower lip.



Rose shrugs her shoulders, “Hey I tried, but you realize that on the other side of this door people are waiting to kill us.”



At that remark Nick stops researching and gazes at Kevin fearfully, “I, I, I don’t want to die Kev, Kevin. Can’t we work something out?”



A.J. sighs and looks at Jamelet, “Care to inform us if there’s any hidden places around here?” His raspy voice questions.



Jamelet shakes her head, “Sorry, that’s the only way out guys.” She says, pointing to the door.



Howie raises his eyes to the ceiling, “Man, this is going be one long night.”



“You’re telling me.” A.J. states, grumbling all the while under his breath.



“Well I say, we go now or stay here and wait till they shoot us out.” Summer states confidently.



Kevin shakes his head and has everyone gather beside him, “K, at three, we open this door and run for the exit in the dining room. Get ready and three!” Kevin shouts opening the forbidden door as the fire and bullets begin spraying in their direction.



“You realize if I don’t make it out of here, I’ll haunt you dreams Kevin.” A.J. states annoyed.



Kevin rolled his eyes and heads out the door followed by the others quickly.

~**~



**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**