- Text Size +
“Troubling Gifts”



**~Chapter Fifteen- Where Trouble Lies~**



The guard points his black rifle to the target practice and shoots. The bullet tears through the bull eyes and lands on the black tiles dully, clicking when it lands.



“Perfect.” Dr. Sanchez states, clapping his hands in approval. “I think you’re all ready for the mission.”



“Sir, yes, sir. All thanks to you.” The guard in training states, saluting the doctor.



Suddenly a black haired man runs into the training ground where the doctor and the guard was. His grey eyes sparkle in fear, he clutches his chest and places his dark golden brown tan hand over his chest. “Sir,” The man states out of breath. “I think I found something on the video camera that might take interest to you.” The man states, his gruff voice breaking the silence.



Dr. Sanchez smiles, his medium dark brown eyes glitter in excitement. “If it’s about my daughter, I already know.”



The man sighed, “So I assume you saw her already betraying the company.”



Dr. Sanchez smiles, “Let her do that. It doesn’t matter to me. I found the experiment and I’m about to release it to the public. I don’t care about the side effects, I’ve dulled the gifts in the medication down to a bit. So even if someone is suffering from such a fatal disease, the gifts won’t be deadly at all, in fact it might not even show at all, it depends on the person’s body. So not only will I be making a profit, I supposedly will be helping people lives. Isn’t it great?” He states, grinning amusedly.



The man gulps and shakes his head, “Doctor, I don’t think that’s a good idea at all. Do you know what will happen if you release the contents on to the public? I mean you’re just using them as larger experiments and could be condemning a few deaths! Think about it, I mean something can seriously go wrong with the medication on people.”



Sighing, Dr. Sanchez pulls his silver framed glasses away from his eyes and rubs his eyes softly with his fingers. “What do you want from me Else? I’ve finally created something that will help society and here you are complaining about it. Know what? I have a present for you. Stay right here.” Dr. Sanchez states, pointing to the back tile floor. “Don’t move around too much ok?”



Else nods his head and watches as the new guard and Dr. Sanchez exits the room softly. Else hears the door lock and a buzzing sound erupting from it. Else gazes slowly at the deserted room, nothing there, but the white walls, black tiles, one large rectangular window with the royal blue curtains and a couple of targets with bullets hole through it. The dim lights in the room hung from the ceiling in a simple matter, all aligned together to form a rectangle shape on the white ceiling.



“Else” the voice shouted through a small speaker on the ceiling.



Else noted its Dr. Sanchez voice and responds, “Yes, doctor what is it?”



The voice on the speaker talks, “Else, can you do me a favor?”



Else nods his head, “Alright doctor, what can I do for you?”



Else hears the doctor sigh and his voice answers back, “Else I forget to clear the targets away, can you gather them and throw them away in the trash on the corner? And hurry up, we have business to take care of.”



Else nods his head and races over to the torn targets on the wall, pulling them off one by one. “Else” The doctor’s voice interrupts. Else stops and his back facing one of the targets, looks up to the small camera, “Yes, what is it?” Else states, his voice quivering a little at the unusual circumstance he’s in.



“Forget the targets, look at this camera and don’t move. I’m going to give you a surprise.” Dr. Sanchez states, pushing a button in his office.



Else watches as the walls in the room grew small holes and suddenly bullets came out from all over the room. Else screams as the bullets tore into his body, ripping flesh and piercing organs. The crimson liquid splashes on the wall, like a can of red paint and smears the floor. All throughout this, Else could hear the laughter of the doctor right before he died. Else cries out and collapses on the floor dead. His abused body leaks out blood from the many holes marked by the bullets. Dr. Sanchez smiles, “Don’t ever question me again Else. Just remember you asked for this.” His voice echoes in the training ground where Else’s dead body laid. The new guard watches in horror, clutching his rifle so tight that his knuckles were white. Dr. Sanchez smiles, “Now you know who you are really messing with. I suggest you clean up the mess in the room and don’t talk about this to no one. Or next time that can be you.” Dr. Sanchez states calmly, his voice soft and showed no emotion.



The new guard raised his dark brown eyes to the doctor and salutes him, “Sir, yes, sir. I’ll get right to it.” And with that races out the room immediately with fear tugging at his heart.



The doctor smiles, “That’s a good boy now.” And he turns to watch a camera that showed a group with the experiments and Dr. Natalie in one of the TV screens. “Time for some fun now.” He whispers as Dr. Natalie, along with Brian, Alison, Kevin, Paige and Kimberly walk down a long deserted white hallway.

~*~



The footsteps echo in the white hallways as Dr. Natalie and her group walk down the opposite end of the hallway. Suddenly Alison faints and collapses on the ground, as Kevin catches the young girl in his arms.



Brian stares wide eyed at Alison, “What happened?” He asks nervously, his blue eyes sparkling.



“She’s weak from using her powers, she’ll be ok, but the further down we walk through these corridors, the more difficult it will be to use your gifts. Dr. Sanchez constructed this company and formulated a way that those with your special talents will not regain control of their gifts. You’ll start to lose control of it and you all must be careful! Dr. Sanchez can use your powers against you!” Dr. Natalie states quietly.



Kimberly shivers, “What! No! I can’t even protect myself from myself now, that’s just great!” She states sarcastically, rolling her dark brown eyes.



Kevin sighs, cradling the sleeping Alison in his arms, “Ok, look whatever happens to us, we have to work together and stop this company from succeeding and releasing the medication to the public.”



Brian gulps, “Ok, right, but the thing is, what if the doctor already released it?!” He asks nervously.



Paige shakes her head, “He can’t yet, he has to stop us before he can do that. We’re stalling him by us running around here and that’s a good thing.” Her blue grey eyes open wide as she nibbles on her lower lip.



Brian stops as they all reach a metal door. Dr. Natalie types a password on the side of the thick door and the door slides open after identifying the code. She turns to look at her group, her dark brown eyes filled with concern. She forces a smile and gulps softly. “Ok, this is what we expect. If I know Dr. Sanchez, there must be at least twenty five guards heading in this direction. Get ready you guys and remember that your gifts might not work for you or for any of us, but against us. So beware and watch when you have to use them. Understood?” Dr. Natalie states with trepidation in her voice.



The others nod nervously and follow the doctor into a longer wide white hallway, the harsh bright lights gleaming from the ceiling. Their steps thudded on the white tiles of the hallway and Kevin sighs holding the young teen in his arms. Brian smiles gently and pats his cousin on the shoulder, “We’ll get out of here, I know we will.” He whispers more to himself than the group.



Kevin nods his head, “Hopefully. Otherwise I hate to think what would happen if we can’t free ourselves from this demented place.” He whispers to Brian.



Kimberly lets her dark brown eyes stare all around the hallway in curiosity. Her eyes begin glowing suddenly and the amber rings in her eyes begin to glow steadily. She stops and begins screaming as if she was in pain. The others immediately stop and Dr. Natalie races over to her.



“Sweetie, what is it?” Dr. Natalie cries out, running her fingers gently through Kimberly dark brown hair: a soft tangle of natural red highlights caught in her light tan fingers. “Kim, you have to calm down, tell me what’s happening to you.”



Fear covered the others heart as they all watch the conversation between the doctor and the young teenager. Paige approaches Kimberly who is shaking terribly all the while screaming in pain.



“Doctor Natalie, what’s going on with her?” Paige states, trying to remain calm.



Kevin watches in horror as Kimberly screams out in pure torture, suddenly the hallway remains quiet as Kimberly stops screaming, her echoes fading away. Brian takes a deep breath and for a few seconds nothing happened. Then the ground begins to shake horribly, the white tiles begin cracking and spreading apart, separating the tiles in the hallway.



Paige watches in horror as she loses footing and feels herself falling into the wide gap that emerged from Kimberly’s gift. The ground was shaking violently and everyone was losing footing. Paige stares at the wide gap as she tumbles in that direction, suddenly Paige feels someone grab her arm quickly saving her from her death and fall.



“I got you.” Brian states, holding onto her arm with all his strength, her body swings freely in the hole as Brian pulls her up. She grabs on to the cracked tiles and her body crumbles into a heap as she cries. Brian pulls her in a hug as he passes his fingers gently through her blond hair and at the ends of her hair, orange tips covered her blond locks.



Paige shakes in fright as Brian embraces her in comfort, “It’s ok, I got you, don’t worry.” She shakes horribly as the others watch.



Kimberly feels tears edge their way on her light tan face. Dr. Natalie sighs a deep breath and counts off the group, “Good, we’re still together. You just witness the effects of almost losing control of your powers. Kimberly almost lost it, but she’s ok now. Come on, lets go, I’m sure the doctor is watching and is enjoying all this.” She whispers angrily, gazing at a small camera hung on the ceiling.

~*~



The rifles and pistols float in the air and slams roughly on the guard’s soft face as a fire storm begins coming at the ten guards. The blaze of fire touches the guards and begins to burn their clothes. Screaming erupts and suddenly the lights above the guards blink and explode. A live wire with sparkling electricity swings from the ceiling. The bright sparks strike the guards on their face and emblazes a bright orange yellow glow. A strong gust of wind knocks down the burning guards as screams echo the wide vacant hallway.



Jamelet stares in shock and looks at the guys. “Ok, that’s enough! Stop! You’re destroying our pathway. We can’t travel if fire and electricity are all around.”



A.J. gazes at her and feels a dizzy spell take over. Nick’s fiery blue eyes glow brilliantly and he closes his eyes. He collapses onto the ground suddenly out of energy. Howie places his hands on the side of his head, and he struggles to remain conscious.



Rose asks nervously, “What’s happening to them?” As she places her hands down her side, after using her wind power.



Summer gulps, “Their body is trying to adjust to their powers, it took a lot of strength and energy from them. It looks like it wore them out.” She whispers softly to Rose. Her green eyes gazes at Nick who’s on the floor knocked out and A.J. who’s leaning on the wall for support. She passes her fingers through her short blond locks on her shoulder and watches the fire burn through the guards. Black smoke and the raw smell of burnt flesh lingered in the air as the bodies were entirely burned through. The smoked flesh crumples on the white tiles like a mass amount of dust.



Jamelet shakes her head gently, “Come on guys, we can’t stop now. My father knows I’m against him and he’s determine to bring us misery, we gotta keep going now.” She states, grabbing Nick’s legs as Rose gently lifts Nick shoulder to carry him out the area.



“Is that gonna happen to us?” A.J. asks softly leaning on Summer as he struggles to walk right.



Jamelet nods her head, “It depends, the more you use it, the more stronger you get, thus your body wears out faster like Nick.” Sighing, she struggles with the increase weight from the man she and Rose are carrying. Ana grabs Howie’s hand and helps him lean on her for support.



Summer gazes at Jamelet, she knew this must be difficult for her going against everything that she ever knew and her father. She sighs and stares at Jamelet, whose brown eyes were filled with distress.



“I’m sorry.” Summer whispers to Jamelet gently.



Jamelet turns to look at her confused, her brown eyes showing the puzzled expression. “Sorry about what?” Her peach complexion flustered from the smoke.



“Sorry that you had such a life. I’m glad you’re standing up against CAPPA and against your father. I know it must be so difficult for you.” Summer whispers, eying her.



Jamelet stops and licks her lower lip nervously. She pushes some stray dark medium brown strands behind her ears and her brown eyes fill with tears. She drops Nick onto the floor and collapses on her knees crying out, “I don’t know what I’m doing! I feel lost, no matter where I go, I can never fit in! I never asked to have such a father whose intentions where good in the beginning but power soon controlled him.”



Summer’s heart went out to her and runs over to her, giving her a comforting embrace. Soon Ana, Rose, A.J. and Howie joined in the hug and whispered, “We’re in this together! We’ll make out, don’t worry!”



Nick wakes up and painfully and slowly crawls over to the group in embrace and throws his arms around the hugging group smiling.

~**~



**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**