- Text Size +
“Troubling Gifts”



**~A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Waste~** Unknown



~**Chapter Eighteen- What It Takes~**



Ana and Howie stare around the large glass cases that held their friends. Gulping, Ana walks over to the case where Summer and A.J. are.



“Ok, you guys, Howie is gonna try to break this case open with the axe, if that doesn’t work then A.J. try using your power to unlock the door. K. Understand?” Ana whispers at the terrified Summer whose clutching onto A.J. in fear.



Summer’s green eyes reflecting the gold specks in it, stare at Ana widely, as she whispers something inaudible to soft for ears to pick up. Running her fingers through her short blond hair down her shoulders, she stares outside the glass pass to Ana. Muttering something more to herself than to anyone, she seems hypnotize by an image that only she sees. Pointing towards an empty corner of the room, she whispers again, this time more loud than before, “We’re not gonna make it tonight. We’re gonna die. It’s too late for the other group, we’re about to die in the hands of the government. And there’s nothing we can do to stop it.” Summer repeats again the statement as in a trance, “We’re all gonna die! We’re all gonna die!”



Ana looks at Howie and at A.J. who’s trying to comfort the traumatized Summer in his arms. Howie gulps and grips the thick metal ax tightly in his hands. “It’s ok Summer, we’re all make sure nothing’s gonna happen to you. You have my word on it. A.J. will watch out for you too.”



A.J. tries with his mind to break open the glass but whatever that material the glass is, his powers were not functioning. Suddenly like a blast of light, he feels himself getting thrown in the air. Summer gasps and crouches in the corner of the glass case, taking deep breaths to calm down. A.J. slams on the side of the case with a thud, pain grips his lower back as he winces in agony.



“What’s happening?” Screams Ana in shock as Howie shakes his head in worry. They glance at Jamelet and Rose who are trapped in the other glass case across from the others.



Jamelet sighs sadly, “He can’t control his power. He’s being hurt by the very thing he uses. Like what happened with Nick.”



“Howie get them out of there now!” Ana demands, rushing over the front of the glass case hoping to see how Summer is doing.



Summer gulps as A.J. eyes Howie swinging the axe towards the front of case their trapped in. “J, move away as I hit this k,”



A.J. in pure agony backs away from the front of the case, and holds onto Summer. With one swing Howie lets the metal axe make impact with the fiber glass. The glass shatters outward, spraying Ana with shards of it. The glass case broke, freeing Summer and A.J. from it.



Summer sits on the white tiles and draws her knees up to her chest. Ana rushes over to her in concern, “Hey you ok right?”



Summer shakes her head no and stands up with the help of A.J. “What did you see? Tell us.” A.J asks holding the trembling Summer in his arms.



Suddenly a loud crash was hard, from the glass case Rose and Jamelet are in. A large gust of wind was forming in the case and throwing the women in it hard against the glass case.



“Let’s get them out now!” Ana yells trying to grab the axe away from Howie.



“K, calm down.” Howie states slamming the axe into the girl’s case. The shards of glass shot forward as the case shatters letting Rose and Jamelet escape. The girls step out of the box and run towards to Summer to comfort her. Howie runs over to the frozen glass case where Nick lies in and breaks it open. The glass panes crash on the tiles loudly piercing the hallway with its sharp sound.



Howie reaches for Nick who is coughing terribly but looked otherwise fine. He drags his friend out of the case and pulls him over next to Summer. “Nicky you ok?” Howie asks.



Nick nods his head, “Yeah, thanks to Ana.”



Ana’s bluish green eyes sparkle, “Yeah, well no problem.” She states smiling. Howie clears his throat at the sudden quietness between with Ana and Nick.



“Well I guess that’s enough thanks with you guys.” Howie states: placing his hands on Ana’s and Nick’s shoulder.



Nick smiles and winks at Ana and places his finger over his lips whispering, “Looks like poor D is left out. Maybe you should give him some attention.”



Howie raises his eyes at that statement, “What is that suppose to mean?”



Nick shrugs his shoulders, “Nothin, nothing at all D. You got nothing to worry about. I would never take your girl away.” He states, his bright blue eyes glittering.



Howie tries to laugh off the statement, snorting in surprise. “Nick please, I’m not into a little girl. I rather prefer women my age.”



A.J. snorts, “Yeah, sure you do D. Keep telling yourself that and one day you might actually believe dat.”



Howie rolls his eyes and waves his hand in an unconcerned matter.



Summer laughs then and walks over to the corner where she had a vision of some sort. “You guys, I was just hallucinating before hand. I thought I saw the other group getting attacked by something and they wouldn’t make it down here, but it’s ok, I guess. I mean it’s just an illusion right? Nothing real? So let’s move on, we wasted too much time loitering around here. The other group could need our help and we gotta be there.”



“Visions? Since when? Maybe it could be telling you something.” Rose whispers, her brown eyes scanning the exit of the room.



“I guess they should be coming down this direction, so let’s go the stairs to see if we can spot them.” Jamelet says.



The others nodded and follow the doctor’s orders. They left the room and shake their heads, knowing that Dr. Sanchez still has plenty more games to play with them and this wasn’t the end of it.

~*~



Dr. Natalie gazes at the six grisly monsters surrounding her group. Her brown eyes scan the frighten faces of Brian and Kevin who stare at the altra-species. One of the grizzly mutants reaches over to grab Alison by her neck. Alison screams and her powers stopped working. Swinging in the air, Alison struggles to free herself from the monster’s grip.



“Ali!” Kimberly states pushing the beast away with her body. Another monster hits Kimberly across her face, stunning her. Kimberly crashes to the floor in pain and surprise. Another beast with red flaming hair tied in a ponytail above its decaying rotting brown flesh showing the yellow cracking bones beneath, reaches to grab for her.



The yellow dilated eyes of the creature pierces at Dr. Natalie direction. It gurgled something and walks away with Paige in its hands. Brian tries to use his powers but was still too weak for his powers to function. Kevin stares at the beast holding Paige and suddenly the beast begins smoking. Suddenly, the beast screams out, dropping Paige and its body begins to separate in half, the stringy flesh tries to hold the body together but fails and the body is torn in half. The body falls to the floor dully all the while splashing a crimson and dark brown liquid that resembles blood. The red lasers coming from Kevin’s eyes pierces another monster holding Kimberly by her neck. This creature lashes out at Kevin, extending it’s claws towards Kevin’s skin. Kevin backs away staring at the creature shooting sharp lasers at it’s body.



All the while, the three others mutants surround Brian and Dr. Natalie. The doctor very frightened pulls out a small palm pilot and begins to search for something.



Brian noting this screams out, “What are you doing? Are you insane?! These things are trying to kill us and now is when you decide to do research. You’re messed up!”



Dr. Natalie glares at Brian, “I’m trying to save your life, the only thing I’m getting from you is complaints. Stop it. Kevin can’t keep using his powers. Dr. Sanchez will control them if he doesn’t stop!”



Brian confused, yells at Kevin to stop with the lasers, “Chill out! You’re powers are gonna lose control.”



Kevin hears that and closes his eyes to stop the lasers. Kimberly stands up and rushes over to check on Paige. In extreme pain, Kimberly passes her hand across her face to see a stain of her blood smeared on her hand. “That little sucker! I can’t believe it!”



Paige stares at Kimberly in pain and rubs her throat in agony. Crawling over to Kimberly, she pulls out of her dark blue denims a small tissue to place over Kimberly’s hurt face. The creature stomps its way over to Kevin and pushes him to the wall roughly. Opening its rotting mouth, it showed its cracked yellow teeth with rows and rows of sharp fangs aligned together. It was about to get a bite out of Kevin’s arm when suddenly a loud shock of violent electricity runs down its body. Dr. Natalie holds a live wire down the beast backs. The creature screams out and the other three beasts grab Brian. The one getting electrocuted, suddenly blows up, pieces of decaying and foul brown flesh splatters across the floor and room, hitting the group.



The three creatures left, grab Dr. Natalie and picks her up, slamming her against a wall. Brian pulls out a small knife from his pocket and stabs one of the creatures in its eye. The creature screams out and chases after him as the other two claw at the doctor and reach for Alison. Kevin runs over and kicks the two beasts attacking Dr. Natalie. The creatures, their yellow eyes looming in the dim light, sneers in his direction and begins grabbing on Kevin’s clothes. Paige and Kimberly too hurt to really do anything since their powers can’t function in the room, sit there and scream out in terror. Both hold on to each other in comfort and each trying to be brave for the other. Alison runs over to one of the creatures and sticks a live wire in its back. The creature turned around too late and blows up, spraying its filthy flesh across the room.



The last two creatures watched and growled running towards Alison head on. Caught in surprise, Alison stands there too frozen to move. Paige pushes her out the way and practically gets trampled under the two heavy beast’s feet. Screaming was heard as Paige feels the heavy weight of the creature’s pound on her spine.



“OH NO!!” Brian shouts throwing the live wire towards the beasts’ direction. The last two scream out and burn up. Drops of burnt decaying flesh land on the grey tiles and the blood sprays out, covering everyone in the room. Kevin trembles in fear and crawls over to see the condition of Paige. He holds the screaming Paige in his arms and sees what damage is done. Her back according to Dr. Natalie is broken and she can’t walk until a surgery is done to alleviate the condition. Paige’s innocent white complexion is covered in deep blue and black bruises all over her body and her blond strands are tinted with blood on it.



“NO! Oh God! Paige!” Kimberly whispers, crawling over to her friend’s body. “My powers! I can’t use it anymore! It’s gone! If I had it, I could have helped her out. She’s hurt and it’s because of me!”



“NO, she saved me!” Alison cries out: her straight dark brown hair down her shoulders stained with the beasts blood, touching Paige’s delicate face. “Please save her!” She cries out to Dr. Natalie.



“There’s nothing I can do now. I’m sorry. The company wants to kill us and they won’t stop to get all of us.” Dr. Natalie whispers, her light tan complexion glows in the dim white lights. “I’m so sorry.”



Paige screams out one last time before passing out from the intense pain.



“What if she doesn’t wake up?” Brian asks the doctor.



Dr. Natalie shrugs her shoulders, “Then she’s the lucky one, she’s free from all this while we all try to risk our lives to live this place.”



Kimberly bends down and passes her fingers through Paige’s blond strands tinted in orange at the ends. “Don’t sleep too long sweetie. I want you to see what the outside of this place looks like again. Plus your family is waiting for you. Don’t leave us now Paige.” She whispers softly as a warm tear drips off her light tan skin.

~**~



**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**