- Text Size +
“Troubling Gifts”



**~Chapter Two- Losing Control~**



Kevin wakes up startled, covered in a cold sweat. He rubs his hands down his black boxers and stares at his bare chest soaked in sweat. He rubs his hand across his forehead to wipe away some sweat that appeared as well. He takes a deep breath and leans near the bedside to feel his heart racing. Carefully, he stands up, stumbling over to the bathroom in his suite. Opening the door, he steps in and stares at the reflection before him in the bathroom mirror. Trembling, he splashes cool water on his face and stares intensely into the mirror. His eyes were burning, as if it were on fire. He feels goose bumps on his arms and he shivers as if cold.



“God, my eyes. They hurt!” He grumbles, peering in the mirror at the green bloodshot eyes. He looks at his eyes in the reflection and suddenly the mirror begins breaking as his eyes trace the lining of the mirror. Pieces of the mirror came shooting out, crashing onto the floor. A small crack begins in the center of the glass mirror and then begins to spread throughout the whole mirror, until the entire mirror was broken and crashes to the white tile floor loudly. Kevin backs away in shock and stares at the mess before him shaking nervously.



His heart beats faster and his mouth drops open. He just witnessed something he only believed could happen in a movie of special effects. It wasn’t the mirror breaking that frightened him so much but what caused the mirror to break. His eyes, he felt the burning sensation increase as he traced the mirror edges and his eyes shot out a red laser almost invisible in daylight but can be seen in brightly in the night. He stands there shaking, feeling nauseating. He grabs the white porcelain toilet and leans his head in ready to release the contents of food he digested. Nothing happened and he takes a deep breath, backing away from the bathroom.



“Maybe I got something that’s making me hallucinate, maybe I got what Howie got.” He whispers to himself for comfort. After the incident with Howie, he recalled everyone was left in confusion and tried to rationalize the situation that maybe Howie was hallucinating so much and didn’t remember exactly what happened or how badly he was left electrocuted. Believing he got the same flu that Howie possibly has, he decided to call his management and leave a message that the concert should be postpone until further notice. If he kept feeling like this tonight, he would head to a doctor in the morning and find out his problem.



He scribbles a quick note to remind himself to make the call early in the morning. Walking quietly back to bed, he throws the covers and lies down, hoping sleep can do well for him in the morning. Just as he drifts to sleep, a loud consistent banging wakes him up. His eyes shot open and he grumbles, getting out of the bed towards the front door.



“I’m coming, chill out, it’s two in the morning. You’re making too much noise!” Kevin yells over the banging of the door. He opens it to find a trembling Nick, with eyes wide open, pointing down the hallway to his bedroom.



Kevin shakes his head, “I can’t believe this! Nick you’re twenty-two years old, you can’t possibly be afraid of the dark now, can you?” He glares at the blond man before him.



Nick shakes his head and points down to his room. “You, you have to see this! Come, come on!” Nick says nervously, his voice cracking in fear. He shakes and goose bumps appear on his arms.



Kevin sighs, “Nick, not now! I don’t wanna be part of your practical jokes this time! Go to sleep and stop acting up!” Kevin states getting frustrated, his black spikes a mess now as it lies messily over his head. Nick in blue boxers and green wife beater, points to his room down the hallway.



“Please Kevin, it’s important! You have to see this. I’m not joking around this time. Please I promise you it’s not a joke! I can’t believe it happened. It’s my bed, something’s wrong with it!” Nick states, his blue eyes lit up in fear.



Kevin sighs and grumbles, shaking his head. “This better be good, I swear Nick if you planned a trick in there, forget about waking to see tomorrow!”



Nick gulps and nods his head, leading Kevin to his room.

~*~



Kevin steps in Nick’s suite and his mouth drops open as he stares at the oak king size bed. The bed sheet was covered in black soot as if it was burning, and the center of the bed was the only spot where it wasn’t burnt or even touched by a fire. It looks as if Nick was sleeping in the center of the bed and besides him on either side of the bed sheets, was burnt marks of black soot. Smoke was still rising from the bed as Kevin neared it.



“What the hell happened here?” Kevin asks nervously.



“I don’t know! I woke up and saw my bed like this. I saw smoke rising, and I thought I was gonna burn when I see a flame of fire spreading over my bed!” Nick yells alarmed.



“Wait, hold up! You mean to tell me that a fire just magically started in your bed and no one was involved in starting the fire. Nick, that doesn’t make sense!” Kevin states irritated.



Nick looks at Kevin seriously and whispers, “Kevin, I think something’s wrong with us. First Howie, then this. None of this is making any sense. I heard you screaming, something happened to you too, didn’t it?”



Kevin nods his head, “Yea, yeah. Something like red lasers came shooting out of my eyes. I stared at a mirror and I just looked at it. It just broke! I looked at it and it just broke! It’s like my eyes had something to do with it! These things aren’t normal. Red lasers shouldn’t be coming out of my eyes! What the hell is going on with us?” Kevin states, with fright in his voice.



Nick gulps, “What if we’re imagining this? I mean, maybe we caught what Howie got or something.” He whispers quickly.



Kevin nods his head and leaves the room with Nick following behind. “I’m gonna check on the others. All this is too much for me! Maybe we’re just sick and don’t even know it.” Kevin mumbles softly as he and Nick stop in front of A.J.’s hotel door. Kevin sighs, and believes nothing worse can happen, but he was in for a surprise of his life as well as the other guys. And nothing can be done about it.

~**~



~**TO BE CONTINUED…~**