- Text Size +
“Troubling Gifts”



**~A mind is a terrible thing to waste~**



**~Chapter Twenty-five- Seek and One Finds



He places his palms down on the smooth mahogany table and stifles a yawn. His dark brown eyes scroll across the small flat screen in front of him in the office. “Come on Damien, you fooled them already, just find out if they got the goods.” He mutters quietly to himself as he watches Damien passing off as one the youngest in experiment 1B. He watches his companion playfully talk and joke around, fooling the people around him. Roy smiles as he sees Damien walk down a hallway followed by the eight women. Roy chuckles, “You’re good Dami, real good. Have those people fooled good, you even got the guys in the group confused. Man when I get in contact with you later you gotta get like the Academy Award for your performance.” Roy smiles and rubs his dark brown hands across his face as he fights of the nagging sleep that is trying to succumb to him. He drags his hand across the desk and touches the small metal pistol. His fingers trace over the trigger as he feels the smile on his face spreading. “Soon, sweetie, me and you will be have some fun with those guys. I’m trying to make this plan work. When it’s just right you’ll do the magic.” He whispers and kisses the side of his favorite pistol in his hand.

~*~



He gazes at the group he’s with. He managed to fool them and the guys truly believed he’s that annoying kid. He wondered if Roy was watching this on camera, he hopes so cause he was close to snapping and killing off the group. They manage to irate him in so many different ways it was unimaginable. He was tempted many times to pick up the small pistol tucked in the hidden pockets of his dark blue denims and just shoot. Shoot to shut them up and shoot just to stop them from thinking of leaving. But according to goody too shoes Roy, there was plan that was to be followed if they were to absolutely win. He suddenly gulps as one the guys asked him a question about his family. “Huh, can you repeat that? I wasn’t paying attention.”



“Just like Nick, always spacing off. I said do you think your brother is in danger after we leave this place?” The man with the dark hair and chocolate eyes state.



Damien gulps and thinks, ‘Ugh, God he has a brother?! Roy didn’t tell me! What the hell do I say?’ Damien smiles and shrugs his shoulders, “I ain’t worried about him. He’s a big boy, he can care for himself.”



The dark haired man intakes a sharp breathe of air, “Nick, haven’t you thought of the possibility that this company might have our personal records and our families could be in danger because of this?”



Damien sighs and fakes a weak cry, he slumps to the floor on his knees and mutters out in a painful voice. “Oh God, we’re so screwed aren’t we?”



The same dark haired man mutters, “No we’re not. Let’s go, we gotta meet the others.”



Damien bats his blue eyes and sniffs back the fake tears that could fall over if he wanted to fool them that he was crying. ‘Great, you suckers are about to get destroyed by your member.’ Damien thinks to himself as the others look on sadly and smile to help Nick feel better. He stands up and follows the group down the hallway. He turns around and smiles at the camera overhead in the corner of the room, knowing Roy must truly be proud of this.

~*~



Kevin hands the unconscious Alison to A.J., “Take her, I can’t feel my arms.”



Riley laughs, ‘That poor girl looks like she couldn’t weigh no more than a few light hundred pounds.”



Kevin snorted, “Sure, why don’t you carry her down this mile long hallway and tell me if she still feels light.”



A.J. laughs and shifts his arms as he holds onto Alison who for their long journey back to the hidden room where the women are waiting is out cold. It concerned him to know that no matter what, she hasn’t woken up and no real sign of her being well was seen except the small beating of her heart and her short breaths. “You guys, what’s wrong with Ali?”



Riley stops and sighs, “Don’t really know. It could be a variety of things for all I know. That’s why we gotta meet the girls now. They’re waiting for us down the hallway near the beginning where the trap doors are at.” He gazes his brown eyes at the blonde one in the group who is offering to help carry Alison. “Yo, Carter you said you came from down that hallway right?”



Nick didn’t seem to be listening as he talks to A.J. “Carter you listening?” Riley asks.



Kevin flicks Nick at the back of his head, “Hey Riley’s calling you, didn’t you hear him?” He asks inspecting the confused look on Nick’s face. “It looks like you didn’t recognize your own name there for a second.” Kevin states smirking as A.J. chuckles softly to himself.



“I blame that bleach that he’s using, it finally reached his brain.” A.J. says cracking a smile from his joke.



Nick flips his finger at A.J. and eyes Riley, “What is it?”



“Where did you came from? Down this hallway right?” Riley asks pointing down the wide hallway.



Nick nods, “Yeah, a feet down was the medical lab.”



“So I’m guessing you guys found the stuff right?” Kevin asks flicking off small lint that embedded his green tank top.



“Uh, yeah, why?” Nick asks nervously, his blue eyes darted back and forth between Riley and Kevin.



“I was just curious that’s all.” Riley states, his brown eyes big and searching the area around him.



“Oh ok, I guess we’ll head out then right?” Nick states smiling.



“Right.” Riley says following behind A.J. as Kevin trails behind. Riley gazes at Nick hoping to see if everything was ok with him. He just seemed so preoccupied lately and that was bothering Riley.

~*~



Kimberly holds onto the flashlight and crashes into Ana. “Oh sorry, I didn’t see you.”



She hears Ana suck her teeth and mutter sarcastically, “Sure that’s why it’s called the dark and we’re using flashlights.”



“Nice girls, be good. Remember we’re a team. We are gonna break down this window and jump down, it’s only a couple inches down from the ground.” Jamelet’s voice states through the darkness.



Dr. Natalie gazes around the pure blackness of the hallway with her flashlight and sees Rose running down the dark hallway. There were no lights in this particular hallway and the group decided it would be the best form of escape they have. After waiting the group had decided to leave the room and find a way of escape. They figured they can get in contact with the others who weren’t with them through a walkie talkie. After fighting to decide about what the best options there where, Jamelet remembered a way for their escape. This hallway was left deserted and was never fully fixed hence the many large broken pieces of sharp wood that imbedded from the grey tiles and white dirty walls. Only one window stood at the end of the narrow hallway and Jamelet knew this would be the best place to escape since no cameras were place here since the renovation.



“Rose!” Dr. Natalie says surprised and relieved at the same time. “Oh thank goodness you made it here. I thought you were caught or even worse dead.”

Rose smiles and shakes her head, “You know I came back for you guys, I could never forget you.”



At this statement, Ana pretends to gag, “Kill me why don’t ya? I’m sure you felt bad and didn’t have the guts to leave. Either that or you were just afraid of getting caught.”



Summer interrupts, “Shut up both of you! Damn what is your problem? You’ve been pissy since the beginning and I’m just about had it with you two.”



Ana rolls her bluish green eyes, “I’m ever so sorry Miss Summer. I guess I’m cranky, I ain’t eat since last night, that’s all.” She states emphasizing the words Miss Summer slowly.



Summer sighs, “Well good cause I wasn’t gonna break up the fight between you and Rose. I have better things to do.”



At that the group laughs and Howie jumps in. “Hey maybe we can send Rose back to the medical lab and get the needles.”



“Why me? Send blondie over there, he ain’t doing nothing but standing there.” Rose states, tossing her slightly layered blond locks over her shoulders.



“Why don’t you come with me?” Nick replies, his blue eyes glittering in glee as Rose’s mouths drops open.



“Well I just got back so you go by yourself.” Rose states feeling flushed from the presence the man was having on her.



Smoothly Nick replies, “I’ll go, but I’ll be so lonely. I wish I had someone who can keep me company. I mean who will help me out in case something happens? If you don’t go who will?”



“Please go, if I hear anymore of Nick’s slick talk I’ll vomit everything I had from this morning all over you’re pretty little shirt.” Ana states annoyed, tugging roughly on her tight dark blue tank top.



Kimberly giggles, her dark brown eyes glitter, the amber rings twinkling from the moonlight that enters through the one lone window in the hallway. “Looks like someone knows how to bribe people.”



Brian laughs, “Man, he’s been doing it since we first met him, he’s a pro at it.” His bright blue eyes twinkle in glee.



Howie yawns and leans on the dusty window sending up an array of clouded dust up in the air. After coughing and a couple of sneezes, everyone glared at Howie as he innocently responds, “Oops, my back.”



Ana smiles and walks near Howie, “It’s ok, I’ll kindly watch your back anytime.”



Jamelet clears her throat and watches as Nick and Rose laugh as they head out the hallway to get the needles needed to inject the saving solutions. Dr. Natalie pulls out a walkie talkie and tries to get in contact with the remaining three people who were missing. “Raven soldier you there?” She speaks into the walkie talkie as crackling and static responded back. She sighs and shakes her head, “No use, can’t reach them, their someplace where the frequency is really bad.”



“Great, this is perfect. My back is broken, we’re in a dusty dirty hallway away from human contact and we have our lives in danger from psychos running this facility. This is just sweet. And the fun part is we’re still missing people.” Paige mutters as Brian holds onto her immobile body. Her blonde locks tumble, the ends of her hair a glorious orange tinted.



“Smile Paige, we’re about to get out of here.” Brian whispers, smiling at her.



“Ok, Let’s go.” Jamelet states suddenly breaking the silence that just befallen the group.



Summer smiles, “Alright.” Her eyes shines brightly reflecting the gold specks that sheered through the green of her eyes. She ties up her blond locks in a messy bun and along with Howie and Ana push the window. Nothing happened, the window was locked shut somehow.



“Guess we’ll do it the all fashion way then. You guys move away from the window. It’s about to break.” Jamelet states, a naughty grin appearing on her peach complexion. Her light brown eyes glitter in glee as she picks up a conglomerate rough edged rock. The rock was a bit bigger than her palm as she grips it her hands.



“Question, real quick Jamelet. I’m just curious, if you throw that rock won’t the soldiers outside hear it and start shooting at us?” Howie asks as Ana giggles along with Kimberly.



“Actually no, this area is the abandoned part, the soldiers are spread out in the front and side. We’re in the back of this building where no is watching. Since all this is broken and excavated part due for renovation, the noise is the least of our problems.” Summer responds instead, “See, I did research before joining this hellhole.” She states, grinning at Jamelet.



“Ok, so lets get the heck out of here! What are we waiting for?” Brian states. As Ana, Summer, Howie, Kimberly and Jamelet break the glass with their feet.



Summer stares down the ground outside and smiles, the cool breeze touches her face as she leans out the edge of the window smiling. After clearing away all the sharp pieces of the glass, the group files out the window one by one. Summer goes out first, followed by Kimberly, Howie, Paige, Brian, Natalie, Ana and lastly Jamelet. They all step outside, the darkness surrounds them. The only lights were coming from the street poles and lights.



Howie and Brian laugh softly giving each other a high five. “This is it! We’re out of here!” Howie says, the freedom evading his body like possession.



“I can honestly say, I have never been more thrilled to be outside now more than ever.” Brian says as Howie jumps around holding onto a giggling Paige in his arms.



Ana grins, “So now what, should I freeze the soldiers out there?”



“No, not yet. You’re powers are rejuvenating still.” Dr. Natalie states as she gazes her dark brown eyes over the tall institution she had dedicated her life to in work.



“I wanna see this baby burn.” Summer mutters as Nick and Rose jump out the window joining them.



“Well maybe I can make that work.” Nick states, his eyes beginning to glow.



“Stop, not yet! We’re still missing people Nick!” Kimberly states.



“We’ll wait for as long as we can, but if they aren’t here in ten minutes, we don’t have a choice, we’ll have to get out of here without them.” Jamelet states as she gazes at the menacing iron building that stands erected at an incredible height of fifty feet. The white bricked stainless steel building stood out imposing silent fear in each of their hearts as they wait for the remaining members to arrive.

~**~



**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**